Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ken Wisenhunt

Brooklyn Colt

With all of the success of RG3/Kyle Shanahan, Pete Carroll/Russel Wilson, Jim Harbaugh/Colin Kapernick, and even Luck...this would be a good time to bring in the more innovative college OCs into the NFL.  After all, Saban and Chip Kelly are being mentioned as Head Coaches.  I think good college play callers should take advantage of all the athletic QB's in the league now.  Take Pryor.  Oakland could build a hybrid system around him and do a lot better than Carson Palmer.  As long as pro defenses aren't able to stop it, there should be more of it.  

With all of the success of RG3/Kyle Shanahan, Pete Carroll/Russel Wilson, Jim Harbaugh/Colin Kapernick, and even Luck...this would be a good time to bring in the more innovative college OCs into the NFL.  After all, Saban and Chip Kelly are being mentioned as Head Coaches.  I think good college play callers should take advantage of all the athletic QB's in the league now.  Take Pryor.  Oakland could build a hybrid system around him and do a lot better than Carson Palmer.  As long as pro defenses aren't able to stop it, there should be more of it.  

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the NFL, where defensive Coordinators can decipher redundant offensive schemes. The read-option is equal to the Wildcat, in that, in the long run, they both fail miserably, because defenses adjust. Need proof? Oregon wrecked Stanford for 3 straight years. This year, Stanford contained their offense. Why? Because, eventually it becomes predictable and the wheels fall off. And honestly, we don't need Luck to turn into a god-damn RG3.

Right now I am sure the only thing Pagano is thinking about is how to get Luck to attack the Ravens D and how their D can get after Flacco and stop Ray Rice.  What will happen with BA will happen and I am sure Pagano has a short list of guys they will be interested if he needs it.  Don't be shocked if they don't just promote Christensen in effort to keep from making Luck under going a major change.  I know it's not an exciting name but I could easily see that being what the Colts do. 

Norv needs to be the first call.

I can tell a lot of you like BA, but.are giddy for him to be replaced. I know I am

I wouldn't say we are giddy for him to be replaced.  Every coordinator has his flaws.   So even if we do bring in a new guy, his system won't be perfect and some fans will want a change.

No QB was going to survive behind Arizonas O Line, Not to mention Micheal Floyd hasn't showed up in the NFL

OK, I get it now. We_Can_Blame AZ o line for Whisenhunt's fails, but we can't blame Colts o line for Lucks fails. But when Whisenhunt becomes Colts OC, then we can blame Colts o line for the fails. Got it. ;

I wasn't speaking of anyone specific. But there are plenty of examples.

Browns Belichick Patriots

Bucs Dungy Colts

Panthers Fox Broncos

etc

etc

etc

QB Brady...

QB P. Manning...

QB P. Manning...

Some nice QB's for those guys to work with... you think Luck is Whiz' Brady/Manning?

Would there be any interest in David Shaw?

I like him a lot.  I live in Northern California and see a lot of Stanford football (no, that's not why I'm a Colts fan, I'm from Maryland and go back to the Baltimore days...), but he is a HC guy I think, not an OC.  He won't leave his gig at Stanford for a OC job.

Now that I think about it, I think there are teams that will want to talk to Whisenhunt about their head coaching job. He'd be a great fit with the Bears or the Chargers.

He actually fits in perfectly in Buffalo. 

He doesn't fit at all in Chicago, and it's not the greatest fit in San Diego. 

He actually fits in perfectly in Buffalo. 

He doesn't fit at all in Chicago, and it's not the greatest fit in San Diego. 

Now that AJ Smith is gone, I think it's a great fit in San Diego. And Jay Cutler with Whisenhunt would be a tremendous pairing up. 

I don't know why he would want to go to Buffalo, seeing how his time in Arizona was marred with quarterback issues. I would think he'd want to go to a team that has a pretty good quarterback in place already. If I were him, I'd rather go rebuild my stock as a coordinator again for a couple of seasons on a team with a good quarterback in place, than go head coach somewhere with an iffy quarterback situation. I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is the definition of "iffy."

Russ Grimm could be an option

Russ Grimm is not an X's and O's type. He is great at motivating and teaching (head coaching material) but, to my knowledge, he's never called plays before. I'd love to have him brought in to coach up the O-line, though

I dont think B.A. will leave. But if he does, I trust Pagano and Grigs to figure it out. i sure wouldnt blame any team for selling the farm to get B.A. though. he did a damn fine job with a freshly put together offense with half rookies. He'll be successful anywhere he goes.

Bottom line is DON'T let BA leave. We just need to pony up the $$$$ and pay the man. Although it has only been a year with BA here I think Luck wants that stability. Not a good thing to be changing OC every year or two.

Bottom line is DON'T let BA leave. We just need to pony up the $$$$ and pay the man. Although it has only been a year with BA here I think Luck wants that stability. Not a good thing to be changing OC every year or two.

If he wants to be a HC and he's leaving because a team is going to offer him a HC job we can't fix that short of firing Pagano and giving him the HC job and I don't think anyone wants to see us do that. 

Now that AJ Smith is gone, I think it's a great fit in San Diego. And Jay Cutler with Whisenhunt would be a tremendous pairing up.

I don't know why he would want to go to Buffalo, seeing how his time in Arizona was marred with quarterback issues. I would think he'd want to go to a team that has a pretty good quarterback in place already. If I were him, I'd rather go rebuild my stock as a coordinator again for a couple of seasons on a team with a good quarterback in place, than go head coach somewhere with an iffy quarterback situation. I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is the definition of "iffy."

I think Buffalo is the best fit because they have the same O-line blocking scheme, he has a good relationship with D coordinator Dave Wannstedt, he has a decent quarterback, and he has a good running back. He loves running backs that can catch and Spiller definitely fits that bill. He would definitely help that offense. He's a very good coach, he just needs a quarterback, and Fitzpatrick has good potential and has had some very good games. The only thing Fitz needs is good coaching... he makes a lot of mistakes.

It's also looking more and more likely. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120832/article/ken-whisenhunt-reportedly-on-buffalo-bills-radar)

So many things match if he goes to Buffalo. Sure he can build good relationships with Cutler and Rivers, but is that a good thing? It didn't work out with Norv and Rivers.

OK, I get it now. We_Can_Blame AZ o line for Whisenhunt's fails, but we can't blame Colts o line for Lucks fails. But when Whisenhunt becomes Colts OC, then we can blame Colts o line for the fails. Got it. ;

Not sure what the Colts have to with Cardinals firing Whisenhunt? neither team has a respectable O Line, I have said a few times now that Andrew hangs onto the ball his fair share of times which hurts us but lets not go and say our O Line earned any respect, they are who I said they were going to be coming in although with Satele I did not expect him to be as bad as he was (Until I watched quite a few games of Oak from last year after we got him)

I think Buffalo is the best fit because they have the same O-line blocking scheme, he has a good relationship with D coordinator Dave Wannstedt, he has a decent quarterback, and he has a good running back. He loves running backs that can catch and Spiller definitely fits that bill. He would definitely help that offense. He's a very good coach, he just needs a quarterback, and Fitzpatrick has good potential and has had some very good games. The only thing Fitz needs is good coaching... he makes a lot of mistakes.

It's also looking more and more likely. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120832/article/ken-whisenhunt-reportedly-on-buffalo-bills-radar)

So many things match if he goes to Buffalo. Sure he can build good relationships with Cutler and Rivers, but is that a good thing? It didn't work out with Norv and Rivers.

Whisenhunt had the Man Blocking scheme in Arizona http://nflsfuture.com/2012/03/28/team-by-team-offensivedefensive-schemes/

I dont think Fitz is the guy in Buffalo, He has a good O Line and a real good #1 WR yet Fitz is still is barely average, certainly not a Franchise QB

Whisenhunt had the Man Blocking scheme in Arizona http://nflsfuture.com/2012/03/28/team-by-team-offensivedefensive-schemes/

I dont think Fitz is the guy in Buffalo, He has a good O Line and a real good #1 WR yet Fitz is still is barely average, certainly not a Franchise QB

During Whisenhunt's years with the Steelers, they used a zone blocking scheme (I went to their training camp). Then, before the Mike Miller era, they had a zone blocking scheme. The year they went to the SB, and the last year their O-line was good, they used a zone blocking scheme. Then, they switched under MIller.

Now, I'd also like to add that the Bills don't use man blocking all the time. I've seen them use zone blocking schemes this year. Go and watch that game against the Dolphins (the last one), they used zone blocking schemes at least 40 times. If you watch the O-line, you'll know it right away. You can't miss it.

Whisenhunt's blocking mentality fits in well there.

Now, as for Fitz. His biggest problem is he makes way too many mistakes. He throws the same amount of touchdowns of a franchise quarterback. 25 TDs is a solid respectable number for a franchise quarterback. He just throws a lot of interceptions, which with a good offensive coach, he could avoid. The problem with that offense is that they like to take a lot of risks (kinda like the Colts), so he throws a lot of interceptions. If they change the identity and become a bit more conservative, the interception rate will lower. Of course, that's my opinion, but I have some facts to back up that theory. I don't they should try and dump Fitz, I think he still has a lot to show.

During Whisenhunt's years with the Steelers, they used a zone blocking scheme (I went to their training camp). Then, before the Mike Miller era, they had a zone blocking scheme. The year they went to the SB, and the last year their O-line was good, they used a zone blocking scheme. Then, they switched under MIller.

Now, I'd also like to add that the Bills don't use man blocking all the time. I've seen them use zone blocking schemes this year. Go and watch that game against the Dolphins (the last one), they used zone blocking schemes at least 40 times. If you watch the O-line, you'll know it right away. You can't miss it.

Whisenhunt's blocking mentality fits in well there.

Now, as for Fitz. His biggest problem is he makes way too many mistakes. He throws the same amount of touchdowns of a franchise quarterback. 25 TDs is a solid respectable number for a franchise quarterback. He just throws a lot of interceptions, which with a good offensive coach, he could avoid. The problem with that offense is that they like to take a lot of risks (kinda like the Colts), so he throws a lot of interceptions. If they change the identity and become a bit more conservative, the interception rate will lower. Of course, that's my opinion, but I have some facts to back up that theory. I don't they should try and dump Fitz, I think he still has a lot to show.

Great points

I think Superman said this & I agree with him with him 100% Ken Wisenhunt would be a perfect fit in Chicago or San Diego. Give Ken an established QB like Cutler or Rivers paired with Russ Grimm on the line [as HireBruceArians suggested] & watch him create a defensive monster very quickly. Ken just never found a reliable QB to throw the ball consistently downfield. Solve that QB problem & Mr. Wisenhunt will win many division titles for either the Bears or the Chargers IMO.

Maybe so. I personally don't think very much of Fitzpatrick, and considering the quarterback purgatory Whisenhunt has been trapped in, I'd think he would want to go somewhere where he doesn't have to worry about the quarterback position. In that regard, I'd put Chicago and San Diego far ahead of Buffalo. JMO.

As far as Buffalo is concerned, I see Lovie Smith there. In addition, I also agree with HOF TE & HC Mike Ditka: "The offense didn't score enough points in those other games. That's the bottom line." 10-6 is not worthy of being fired IMHO. I would not have fired Mr. Smith if I was the Bears owner or GM personally. Chicago is making a HUGE mistake...

As far as Buffalo is concerned, I see Lovie Smith there. In addition, I also agree with HOF TE & HC Mike Ditka: "The offense didn't score enough points in those other games. That's the bottom line." 10-6 is not worthy of being fired IMHO. I would not have fired Mr. Smith if I was the Bears owner or GM personally. Chicago is making a HUGE mistake...

I think the Bears fading and missing the playoffs again and only have gone once since going to the Super Bowl had more to do with Lovie getting fired than his record did. 

With that said I would agree Lovie is going to be harder to replace than the Bears may think because like the Lions and Bengals they don't like to spend much money either. 

Maybe so. I personally don't think very much of Fitzpatrick, and considering the quarterback purgatory Whisenhunt has been trapped in, I'd think he would want to go somewhere where he doesn't have to worry about the quarterback position. In that regard, I'd put Chicago and San Diego far ahead of Buffalo. JMO.

If he wants to go to a place that has a solid stable QB, than I agree that Buffalo wouldn't be near the top.

However, I highly doubt that's his biggest concern. Plus, as I mentioned before, Fitzpatrick isn't the worst QB in the world, and is much better than any QB to play in Zona in the last 4 years.

I'm more inclined to say Fitz's "flashes of potential" are more a product of good coaching than I am to say he's playing bad because he's NOT getting good coaching. Chan Gailey is a QB whisperer. He made Tyler Thigpen look like a starting QB for half a season when he was the OC of the Chiefs. I think he's done the same with Fitzpatrick as well. What you've seen from Fitzpatrick is what you're gonna get. I don't see any coach being able to get more out of him than Chan already has.

I think the Bears fading and missing the playoffs again and only have gone once since going to the Super Bowl had more to do with Lovie getting fired than his record did. 

With that said I would agree Lovie is going to be harder to replace than the Bears may think because like the Lions and Bengals they don't like to spend much money either. 

In retrospect, you are probably correct. A failure to win division titles is probably what cost Lovie Smith his HC job in Chicago. Exactly GoColts8818, the Bears front office is a notoriously cheap franchise overall. As much as I despise Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, I do respect him in 1 area. He is not afraid to spend money on players & a staff if he believes in you. "You must spend money wisely in order to make money."

I would be curious what my close friend MIColtsFan thinks of firing Lovie Smith since she is a loyal Colts & Bears fan too. Does she view it as a mistake?  

1 last point regarding Lovie Smith in Buffalo: Reunite him with DC Rod Marinelli & perhaps Russ Grimm on the o-line or Ravens o-line coach Andy Moeller. 

Buffalo needs to be transformed from laughing stock franchise to legitimate Playoffs contender within 3 years. Lovie Smith could do that easily I think. I want Buffalo to be feared again like they were under Jim Kelly & Thurman Thomas i.e. reliable QB play & RB play again. I have always respected this blue collar organization & I want to see them return to a competitive level again myself.