Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fringe players making big plays

Dr. T

Dej Karim? He was managing a parking lot just a few weeks ago. (no kidding)

Then there are these household names who all had a sack a piece:

Lawrence Guy

Clifton Geathers

Jaamal Westerman

Who the heck ARE THESE PEOPLE?

Man! How is Ryan Grigson finding these players (who can actually contribute)?

:scratch::yahoo:

The individual stories that contribute week in and week out to this ball club are astonishing. McAfee used the term "misfits". I think he is on to something. With Karim valet parking, Geathers, Gy and Westerman making sacks. Darius Butler got the "this is your last chance in this league" talk from Grigson, then goes out and makes 2 INTs in his first game against Jacksonville on a televised game. There is something going on in that complex that is above and beyond what we have witnessed before I feel like. People make each other better on that field.

Joker you think Grigson traded up about 10 spots into the 3rd round for T.Y. when he might have got him as a FA? OK.

The list of 1st rd D-Lineman picks that flunk out or never make it beyond mediocrity is a HUGE One.

The Biggest reason IMO, so many Prospects don`t get their chance to develope is because NFL Rosters are too small.

The UNION has Negotiated a system where you pay 20% of the players 50-60% of the $$$$ and pay 40+ Players what is left of this too small pie.

Drew Brees fought tooth and nail to take every penny he could get from his Teamates. Nice! Not at all.

I think we pick on Vaughn too much, he does make plays, he reacts quickly to the ball and makes good open field tackles.

Agree about Vaughn and others. These guys are not finished products. How good will Vaughn be if he stays with Coach P for two more seasons of Coaching up and experience with his Teammates? If he developes the Instinct to turn and look for the ball at the last second and make a play he might become a WOW player. A fine line sometimes.

Dej Karim? He was managing a parking lot just a few weeks ago. (no kidding)

Then there are these household names who all had a sack a piece:

Lawrence Guy

Clifton Geathers

Jaamal Westerman

Who the heck ARE THESE PEOPLE?

Man! How is Ryan Grigson finding these players (who can actually contribute)?

:scratch::yahoo:

Nice thread, Rx. I remember Pagano turning to Grigson and Irsay and saying, "Let's hunt". That they have done.

Ryan Grigson is not the next Bill Polian who builds a top heavy roster and lacks depth on ST and D in quality.

He is the next Ted Thompson who finds guys that can contribute on ST, D etc. as role players, that is what I see in him.

You bring up a good point. All championship teams are built through all three phases. You don't build two sides of the ball and send sloppy seconds to special teams. You have to sign guys to play special teams. That's how you win. We gave up a kickoff return TD in the Super Bowl, but there's a reason special teams TDs are so rare in the Super Bowl. Teams that get there have good coverage units.

You bring up a good point. All championship teams are built through all three phases. You don't build two sides of the ball and send sloppy seconds to special teams. You have to sign guys to play special teams. That's how you win. We gave up a kickoff return TD in the Super Bowl, but there's a reason special teams TDs are so rare in the Super Bowl. Teams that get there have good coverage units.

It is almost like we won our SB and playoff games despite our ST in 2006 postseason. How many teams have given up an opening kickoff return TD and an onside kick recovery in their SBs? None but our Colts? Yeah, that is right. We made Ellis Hobbs look like Hester in the 2006 AFCCG giving Brady such good field position at the RCA dome.

After the Robo Punter Scifres game in 2008 at the top for lowest field position, the 2009 Saints SB is the 3rd lowest avg. starting field position for an offense in playoff games in the last 15 years. I cant tell you how mad it made me to see the Pats and Steelers (with Santonio Holmes) get good ST play in key situations in playoff games and how we could never expect ANYTHING from our ST. Polian is definitely overrated on that ST and D depth front, IMO. I am glad we have Grigson.

Heard Tevesau had nice games too

Tevesau is a beast against the run, he might not bring much to the table as far as pass rush, but he is very stout against the run, I would like to see him continue to get more snaps when Mookie Johnson comes back. I have been watching him close, and when we need a big stop, in crucial situations, he has come up big. He has been overlooked for the most part. but he has been the main reason our defense has been able to get off the field when needed. I didn't even know who this guy was, when Grigson signed him,but he has been one of the best of many finds by Grigson. He gets better every week, just another young nobody, that Grigson has added to this team. Really impressed by Grigson and the job he has done. What I really love, is a lot of these guys Grigson brings in are young and contribute immediately, with huge upside for down the road, this is the most complete roster we have ever had. Grigson gets something out of every guy on the roster, and the great thing, is he's only been on the job one year, if he comes up with anything close to what he's done this year, in the coming years, we will be a contender for years to come. Ryan Grigson NFL executive of the year.