Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Think The Colts Have A Running Back!

King Colt

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply put, fix the line in the draft this April & Luck's interceptions will go down & Ballard & Brown will have more holes to punch through & get 1st downs. Grigson concentrate on the o-line & give Andrew time to sit in the pocket & make his progressions.

P.S. Mr. Luck congratulations on having your Alma Mater win the 2013 Rose Bowl. :thmup: My WI Badgers were too darn predictible...Run on 1st & 2nd down, throw on 3rd down repeat...Are we sensing a pattern here? Grrr! God Barry Alverez is a fool. :loco::facepalm::sigh:

Mix it up a little eh? Come on man!

With ya on the OL Brother as well as the Rose Bowl,Wisc actually couldve won that,if it were played a little different'.By the way watching LOUISVILLE take it to the GATORS

In fact the ONLY time I ever heard Bill admit he made a mistake was a couple of years ago on JMV's show when he said "in hindsight the Hughes pick may have been a mistake" ...

In light of the Colts OL troubles...      That was the only time I ever heard him admit any kind of miss step.

In fact after EVERY draft, the draft played out  "nearly EXACTLY how their board laid out"

Really Bill? 

Oh lawd. Donald Brown was not a mistake. Throughout the entirety of his career we have not had a line that can run block like the good ol' days with Tarik and such. 

Some fans wanted Addai to stay over Brown last year, which was, no offense if you were one of those people, absolutely *ic. 

It was clear even in his rookie season that Donald Brown was a talented runner. He just needed to get the mentals down. Now he did, and he'll be a great RB.

The Vick Ballard hype train is starting too soon. Ballard is the more physical runner, but Brown is faster, more agile, and can take a hit. However, I don't see us holding on to Don Breezy for much longer (*sigh*) so it's more than likely that Vick Ballard will carry the load for us, at least for another year.

Hughes and Brown were both mistakes. Rookie contracts almost up and we still don't know if they are any good.

2 things

1.Brown has never gotten all the carries like a Ray Rice or a Darren Mcfadden so its hard to judge but when he has gotten carries he has produced evem though they are limited carries, Brown hasn'y even gotten 200 carries in any season yet. He is also in a Man Blocking smost ofcheme now(primarily) and reads are different then Zone

2.Hughes has shown he can produce in this scheme (41 tackles and 4 sacks in 6 starts) he played all 16 games I know but he spent the other games being rotated in and out and not getting any consistent playing time, Hes got great measurables except he needs to improve his strength, with consistent playing time and added bulk I think he could pretty dang good

I still think Ballard's starting job next season should not be a guarantee. Brown had similar production when they split carries and is just so explosive in open space or when he's got a good hole. However, If Ballard had started the whole season he most likely would have had a 1K+ yard year, which for any rookie running back is a good sign. Though you could possibly say the same if Brown had started and stayed healthy all year. I really like the guy, but DB deserves another shot behind a better line, IMO.

Oh lawd. Donald Brown was not a mistake. Throughout the entirety of his career we have not had a line that can run block like the good ol' days with Tarik and such. 

Some fans wanted Addai to stay over Brown last year, which was, no offense if you were one of those people, absolutely *ic. 

It was clear even in his rookie season that Donald Brown was a talented runner. He just needed to get the mentals down. Now he did, and he'll be a great RB.

The Vick Ballard hype train is starting too soon. Ballard is the more physical runner, but Brown is faster, more agile, and can take a hit. However, I don't see us holding on to Don Breezy for much longer (*sigh*) so it's more than likely that Vick Ballard will carry the load for us, at least for another year.

The Brown pick was still a mistake.

I agree about the overblown criticism, and anyone who wanted Addai over Brown last year, and I think the Ballard train is taking off a little too fast (I'm a big fan, have been since I watched his tape after the draft last year, but we're crowning him and he hasn't done anything yet). Brown has gotten a bad rap, and is one of those players who can't win with this fanbase, and it's too bad because he's a solid weapon.

However, when you have a top five passing attack, and a quarterback in his prime, and the league is moving toward a more pass-oriented era (rules, coaching, player development, everything), you don't need to spend a first rounder on a running back. We could really stop right there, but then when you consider the holes the team had at offensive and defensive line and linebacker, and the players on the board that could have helped fill those holes, the pick makes even less sense. If you want to take a flier on a playmaker, why not a receiver who is going to complement your offensive philosophy? Eric Wood, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, Ziggy Hood, James Laurinitis and Rey Maualuga all came off the board right after Donald Brown. He just wasn't the right pick for our team at that spot.

I know he was the leading rusher in college football, and I know Addai's contract was getting ready to expire, and I know Addai had been in and out of the lineup, and so on. I don't have a problem with Donald Brown, the player. But it wasn't the right pick for our team, primarily because we had pressing needs that other players still on the board would have filled nicely (Brackett's contract was up a year before Addai's, so why not grab a linebacker?), but also because I don't think it makes sense to draft a running back in the first round in today's NFL.

Polian NEVER said anything worth listening to.    In fact half the time he was surly and mad and just blew callers or the show off.

He was a smug arrogant GM on air...  the exact same personality he portrayed off air.

In fact the ONLY time I ever heard Bill admit he made a mistake was a couple of years ago on JMV's show when he said "in hindsight the Hughes pick may have been a mistake" ...

In light of the Colts OL troubles...      That was the only time I ever heard him admit any kind of miss step.

In fact after EVERY draft, the draft played out  "nearly EXACTLY how their board laid out"

Really Bill? 

The Polian Corner was very informative, so long as you could stand Bill Polian. I could, so I enjoyed it.

The Brown pick was still a mistake.

I agree about the overblown criticism, and anyone who wanted Addai over Brown last year, and I think the Ballard train is taking off a little too fast (I'm a big fan, have been since I watched his tape after the draft last year, but we're crowning him and he hasn't done anything yet). Brown has gotten a bad rap, and is one of those players who can't win with this fanbase, and it's too bad because he's a solid weapon.

However, when you have a top five passing attack, and a quarterback in his prime, and the league is moving toward a more pass-oriented era (rules, coaching, player development, everything), you don't need to spend a first rounder on a running back. We could really stop right there, but then when you consider the holes the team had at offensive and defensive line and linebacker, and the players on the board that could have helped fill those holes, the pick makes even less sense. If you want to take a flier on a playmaker, why not a receiver who is going to complement your offensive philosophy? Eric Wood, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, Ziggy Hood, James Laurinitis and Rey Maualuga all came off the board right after Donald Brown. He just wasn't the right pick for our team at that spot.

I know he was the leading rusher in college football, and I know Addai's contract was getting ready to expire, and I know Addai had been in and out of the lineup, and so on. I don't have a problem with Donald Brown, the player. But it wasn't the right pick for our team, primarily because we had pressing needs that other players still on the board would have filled nicely (Brackett's contract was up a year before Addai's, so why not grab a linebacker?), but also because I don't think it makes sense to draft a running back in the first round in today's NFL.

Now all that I can understand and agree with, Personally I dont see why he has been given a bad rap by fans, he was never handed over the reigns at RB except when Addai went down with injury and any fan with common football knowledge would know a running back needs his share of carries to be effective

Now all that I can understand and agree with, Personally I dont see why he has been given a bad rap by fans, he was never handed over the reigns at RB except when Addai went down with injury and any fan with common football knowledge would know a running back needs his share of carries to be effective

He was a convenient conduit through which fans could express their displeasure with the Polians and Jim Caldwell. Needless to say, that displeasure continues, even though the Polians and Caldwell are yesterday's news.

I'm critical of the pick, and have even been critical of Brown's play, but I have a bigger issue with the misuse of the pick than with the player.

The Brown and Hughes picks were both mistakes simply because the OL desperately needed attention and he waited way too late.

But in reality..   EVERYONE on this board was sky high for the Hughes pick...     problem is it has taken him until this season to do ANYTHING.

Wouldn't it be nice if Indy had invested in the OL with those selections?

Brown?  I actually think there is a pretty good chance he comes back...       I can't imagine there being too huge a market for his services.

The Brown and Hughes picks were both mistakes simply because the OL desperately needed attention and he waited way too late.

But in reality..   EVERYONE on this board was sky high for the Hughes pick...     problem is it has taken him until this season to do ANYTHING.

Wouldn't it be nice if Indy had invested in the OL with those selections?

Brown?  I actually think there is a pretty good chance he comes back...       I can't imagine there being too huge a market for his services.

Brown is under contract in 2013. 

You're right, Hughes was an even worse pick for this team than Brown was. I wasn't one of those who was sky high for the pick at the time; I talked myself into it, assuming that he'd actually get some time on the field, which he didn't in his rookie year. But even if he had, we had more pressing needs, and there were players on the board who would have addressed those needs quite nicely, but we drafted a backup pass rusher who couldn't even get on the field.

Jerry Hughes could turn into a multiple Pro Bowler, and I'd still feel that we made a mistake in drafting him. And he's under contract through 2014.

He was a convenient conduit through which fans could express their displeasure with the Polians and Jim Caldwell. Needless to say, that displeasure continues, even though the Polians and Caldwell are yesterday's news.

I'm critical of the pick, and have even been critical of Brown's play, but I have a bigger issue with the misuse of the pick than with the player.

I guess I am just a littler higher on Brown then most do to him being able to take care of the ball as well as he has and his playmaking ability in terms of speed, I also think he is an underrated runner between the Tackles, I look to Vick Ballards very first run vs the Texans as an example as to what has happened to Brown numerous times, Ballard got the handoff and a D Lineman(JJ Watt) just threw Castonzo out of the way and got into the backfield with ease and stop Ballard in his tracks, Thats happened to Brown 15 times according to SI.com and he only lost 34 yards out of those 15 Stuffs

Ah Brown is under contract for this upcoming season at 1.7m.     Local Indy radio to a man think he will not be welcomed back.   I was under the impression he was a FA...    Even Chap thinks he is done in Indy.    Now I know why...    the price tag.   

But at 1.7...   I also suspect he will not be back...  heehhe..   Makes good sense.    

Draft Burkhead or another versatile back and move on at a much cheaper price tag.

I like him also...  but not at 1.7m when he is just not reliable.  

I guess I am just a littler higher on Brown then most do to him being able to take care of the ball as well as he has and his playmaking ability in terms of speed, I also think he is an underrated runner between the Tackles, I look to Vick Ballards very first run vs the Texans as an example as to what has happened to Brown numerous times, Ballard got the handoff and a D Lineman(JJ Watt) just threw Castonzo out of the way and got into the backfield with ease and stop Ballard in his tracks, Thats happened to Brown 15 times according to SI.com and he only lost 34 yards out of those 15 Stuffs

Ah Brown is under contract for this upcoming season at 1.7m.     Local Indy radio to a man think he will not be welcomed back.   I was under the impression he was a FA...    Even Chap thinks he is done in Indy.    Now I know why...    the price tag.   

But at 1.7...   I also suspect he will not be back...  heehhe..   Makes good sense.    

Draft Burkhead or another versatile back and move on at a much cheaper price tag.

His cap hit is actually $2.2m. That's not a lot. It's 1.8% of the cap. Negligible. Especially with all the cap space we'll have.

If the team doesn't want him, it's because of how he performs, not what he costs.

Polian Corner was one heck of a tool, regardless how anyone felt about Polian.

I don't think that Polian ever really said anything that was a really good take away except for all the people he would constantly quote, like Marv Levy. He would just say things like oh we have to stop the run, we have to throw better, Pat Mac needs to be a better directional punter, oh I need to blame (incorrectly) the O-Line for our SB Loss and dismantle them.

Now the one time Chris took over on the Polian Corner, oooweeee....that was a gem. That was like reading a train wreck! Lol.

I don't think that Polian ever really said anything that was a really good take away except for all the people he would constantly quote, like Marv Levy. He would just say things like oh we have to stop the run, we have to throw better, Pat Mac needs to be a better directional punter, oh I need to blame (incorrectly) the O-Line for our SB Loss and dismantle them.

Now the one time Chris took over on the Polian Corner, oooweeee....that was a gem. That was like reading a train wreck! Lol.

I am laughing out loud....we slammed him so hard....he was so mad at the fans...made Bill look like a  :kitty: !!!!!!  Bill never let him on the show...rarely in public again....Son, you are no Bill Polian!  :spit: