Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Think The Colts Have A Running Back!

King Colt

Ballard is a #1 back but for the past 3-4 weeks he has had nobody to spell him during the game to keep him fresh and that causes Luck to have more pass attempts. That's why I hope Delone Carter is back for the playoff game. So Ballard can really be dynamic through the course of the game

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ballard is a great back. we need to add a blazing one now for a combo backfield. Ballard has laid the ball on the ground quite a bit. Delone did that less last year and was almost ran off the forum.

Ballard has fumbled 3 times this year, Carter fumbled 3 times last year. While that's more than you'd like, it's really not that bad. Heck, even Arian Foster fumbled 3 times this year. He had more attempts, but Ballard isn't some fumble machine.

Ballard has fumbled 3 times this year, Carter fumbled 3 times last year. While that's more than you'd like, it's really not that bad. Heck, even Arian Foster fumbled 3 times this year. He had more attempts, but Ballard isn't some fumble machine.

Not saying he is. just pointing out how the same numbers can be viewed differently depending on who is it.

Not saying he is. just pointing out how the same numbers can be viewed differently depending on who is it.

I gotcha. Just saw a couple people say they are worried every time he touches the ball, etc... I think he's pretty secure with the ball.

Ballard is good i like his style. just funny  i remember Carter had some big runs last year but all we would hear about is he needed to work on holding on to the ball... they have the same number of fumbles not counting the one Carter has this year. i like our backfield Deji too.

There are some seriously reality-challenged fans on this forum.  From Bruce Arian's bashers to Vick Ballard bashers to Avery is better than TY Hilton talk.    Bruce Arians stepped up when Pagano went down.  Vick Ballard stepped up when Donald Brown went down and TY Hilton stepped up even though Avery was the experienced starter.  We wouldn't be in the playoffs w/o these 3 guys and Luck.  I would have expected 100% appreciation for them, but certainly don't see it and am baffled by it.   

First let me say that I love watching both Backs, One compliments the other in my opinion, I actually think either Back has the abilityto start, I just feel that Brown should be the starter going forward as of now at least and numbers actually back that up. Ballard has fumbled 3 times this year, now all three were recovered by the offense but what if they weren't? People would be some would calling for Ballards head on a stick just like some have done with Carter. Brown literally has 1 fumble which came in his rookie year. Im not going to address Browns injury history simply because before this year none come to mind (someone remind me if ya want because apparently I am forgetting some) BUT this whole deal of Ballard better then Brown is a stretch at least at this time. This is what Ballard has done since Brown went down with an injury.....http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/25880/rushing_splits.html ........This is what Brown has done http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/9291/rushing_splits.html , he was actually getting stuffed less times on average when starting then Ballard(2.5 or rounded up 3 to Browns 1.75 or rounded up 2). Neither have clearly established themselves as the #1 in my opinion but neither were going to behind this O Line. Now thats not to say one Back is better then the other, As I said I like both Backs, I think when we get an O Line that can block consistently they will both do great things but Brown fits this offense better in that he is a big play threat combine that with a mobile QB and you can give a defense all kinds of problems. Personally I think the way we were using our running backs before was good if Arians is going to use them to split carries and I'd also make sure Ballard got majority carries on 3rd down, I might even like Ballard up at FB on 3rd and short plays to have a dual threat in the backfield (I just dont think our coaching staff think very highly of Carter and when it comes to on field performance they seem to have a good reason if that were the case given his problems with fumbles). Anyway anyone looks at it neither Back is the issue, the issue is clearly the O Line.

There are some seriously reality-challenged fans on this forum.  From Bruce Arian's bashers to Vick Ballard bashers to Avery is better than TY Hilton talk.    Bruce Arians stepped up when Pagano went down.  Vick Ballard stepped up when Donald Brown went down and TY Hilton stepped up even though Avery was the experienced starter.  We wouldn't be in the playoffs w/o these 3 guys and Luck.  I would have expected 100% appreciation for them, but certainly don't see it and am baffled by it.   

Dont see why you think there are bashers out there just because some have opinions that dont agree with everything Arians has done or because some may feel Ballard is a good Back but may not be ready yet or that some may feel that Avery should be the #2 right now, I think there are valid reasons to all of those

That's a kinda watered down assessment. 

Ballard is the first legit NFL caliber RB we've had since Edge, period. I went on about this weeks ago and all the kid has done since is prove me correct. We need a higher standard at O-line positions for any RB to come out and produce truly undeniable stats. 

Thats kind of a generalization considering Addai was better his rookie year all around, catching running, TD's and yards

Simply put, fix the line in the draft this April & Luck's interceptions will go down & Ballard & Brown will have more holes to punch through & get 1st downs. Grigson concentrate on the o-line & give Andrew time to sit in the pocket & make his progressions.

P.S. Mr. Luck congratulations on having your Alma Mater win the 2013 Rose Bowl. :thmup: My WI Badgers were too darn predictible...Run on 1st & 2nd down, throw on 3rd down repeat...Are we sensing a pattern here? Grrr! God Barry Alverez is a fool. :loco::facepalm::sigh:

Mix it up a little eh? Come on man!

he will, he has a year left and they would be a great tandem once the O Line is fixed, Like I mentioned in another thread, Ballards thunder to  Browns lightening, I just get nervous every time Ballard touches the ball
he will, he has a year left and they would be a great tandem once the O Line is fixed, Like I mentioned in another thread, Ballards thunder to  Browns lightening, I just get nervous every time Ballard touches the ball

why? i dont think he has a single fumble?

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Gavin" data-cid="377263"><p>3 fumb<strong>les</strong>, just because they were recovered by the offense does not mean they should be overlooked <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.nfl.com/player/vickballard/2533012/profile" href="http://www.nfl.com/player/vickballard/2533012/profile">http://www.nfl.com/player/vickballard/2533012/profile</a></p></blockquote>i just remember one thinking about it, do you recall how or what games where?

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Gavin" data-cid="377263"><p>3 fumb<strong>les</strong>, just because they were recovered by the offense does not mean they should be overlooked <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.nfl.com/player/vickballard/2533012/profile" href="http://www.nfl.com/player/vickballard/2533012/profile">http://www.nfl.com/player/vickballard/2533012/profile</a></p></blockquote>i just remember one thinking about it, do you recall how or what games where?

Miami, New England and Kansas City

I like the Ballard/Brown combo...

I am a big fan of the rookie's, but he has to stop dropping short passes... He has also had some trouble blocking and holding on to the ball.... I think Ballard has "every down" potential, but he isn't there yet... His ball control and blocking should improve next season.

I like the fire and Ice quality that the tandem bring (when Brown is healthy) and would look for us to try to continue to improve the O-Line. I'm not quite ready to say that Ballard is better than Brown although he does seem to play at a very high intensity.

Ballard is the harder runner.  I know we all have seen him fumble, that is something that can be worked on.  He hits the hole and he hits it hard.  If the line gets it together in the off season Ballard will be something to deal with.  As for Brown I like him in the passing game and he blocks good.  But he is light in the shorts,  I feel that both Ballard and Brown can be a good tandom.  But ballard is the better back in my opinion.

These next 2 drafts are where we will see how good GM Ryan Grigson really is IMO. Will he keep Carter? How will he solidify our line? What will he do regarding Dwight Freeney? I don't have any answers just questions...

Who cares about Carter? He's a decent player with a role on our team, but I don't think whatever Grigson does with him is the kind of move that makes or breaks a team. Carter is nearly inconsequential.

I do agree that this offseason is going to tell us a lot about Grigson and how he uses his resources. Cap space, draft picks, status -- Grigson has a lot going for him this offseason. I hope we can improve the offensive line, at the very least. The moves he made last year were stopgaps, and not terrible considering. The moves he makes going forward are the moves that can be the foundation for the team for the next several years.

Who cares about Carter? He's a decent player with a role on our team, but I don't think whatever Grigson does with him is the kind of move that makes or breaks a team. Carter is nearly inconsequential.

I do agree that this offseason is going to tell us a lot about Grigson and how he uses his resources. Cap space, draft picks, status -- Grigson has a lot going for him this offseason. I hope we can improve the offensive line, at the very least. The moves he made last year were stopgaps, and not terrible considering. The moves he makes going forward are the moves that can be the foundation for the team for the next several years.

I do agree that since both you & FJC are better versed in cap issues, draft picks, & the biggest bang for our collective buck than I certainly am, I will be fascinated to see how Grigson manipulates the draft & fiscal spending to turn the Colts around as quickly as possible. If we continue winning, players will take less money to have a legitimate shot at a SB ring within a couple of NFL seasons. Always a nice situation to be in IMO. 

I think he is a 1200 yard rusher with a better offensive line.  Not to take anything away from Alfred Morris, but he is often getting pretty good holes after getting the ball.  I do believe if Ballard had the same holes, he would get the same result.

I can't wait to see that WAS/SEA matchup. The Seahawks have been stoning backs for a couple months now, good backs like Matt Forte and Frank Gore. They were incredibly physical against an incredibly physical team when they smoked the Niners two weeks ago. I think they're the hottest team in the wild card round, if not in the league.

They're playing the #1 rushing team in the league, a team that runs the ball in multiple ways, and can also throw to beat you. Gonna be a really good matchup, I think.

I hope Colt's fans will stop and read your post.   And then,  read it again!    You've laid things out simply and directly and, IMO,  correctly.    

This will be an absolutely fascinating off-season for the Colts.   Completely fascinating.   I look forward to seeing each and every move Grigson makes.   

I hope Colt's fans will stop and read your post.   And then,  read it again!    You've laid things out simply and directly and, IMO,  correctly.    

This will be an absolutely fascinating off-season for the Colts.   Completely fascinating.   I look forward to seeing each and every move Grigson makes.   

All I really want is for Colts.com to bring back some type of GM Corner where Grigson tells the Colts Nation fanbase exactly where his mindset is. No need to divulge  draft plans or organization secrets naturally. Just clue the fans in on the direction you are taking the team similar to the Polian Corner etc. etc. I know krunk will back me up on this. I hate being left in the dark.

Mr. Irsay, please I beg of you, bring back a GM question & answer session next season & make it a permanent facet of your official site. Thank you. 

I think he is a 1200 yard rusher with a better offensive line. Not to take anything away from Alfred Morris, but he is often getting pretty good holes after getting the ball. I do believe if Ballard had the same holes, he would get the same result.

Morris is a beast. Perhaps the best power back in the league:

Morris has used his unrefined running motion to break more tackles than any other player in the NFL this season, 22. That's seven more than the next-highest tackle-breaker. He ranks third in yards after contact with 795 and ranks second in the league with 1,613 rushing.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323874204578217832886427270.html

Granted, Ryan Grigson does not possess the years of front office decision making that Bill Polian did with Buffalo, Carolina, & INDY I will admit, but hey, Grigson has to get his feet wet at some point & whenever an official site remains silent about GM duties & actions...I feel suspicious like someone is trying to hide something unpleasant. Transparency is always the best policy even if you feel outside your comfort zone Mr. Grigson.

I gave the team a pass on this issue this year. But, from next NFL season on, I can't anymore. No more sporadic news pieces please, but rather a meaningful conversation about the o-line, the secondary, & the defense please.  

All I really want is for Colts.com to bring back some type of GM Corner where Grigson tells the Colts Nation fanbase exactly where his mindset is. No need to divulge  draft plans or organization secrets naturally. Just clue the fans in on the direction you are taking the team similar to the Polian Corner etc. etc. I know krunk will back me up on this. I hate being left in the dark.

Mr. Irsay, please I beg of you, bring back a GM question & answer session next season & make it a permanent facet of your official site. Thank you. 

Polian Corner was one heck of a tool, regardless how anyone felt about Polian.

I was not around for Polian Corner, and I'm almost always a fan of more information and not less.

But being a GM is not typically a position where sharing information -- even a little bit -- is a comfortable thing for them to do.   So, I understand completely if Grigson is reluctant to go down that road.    He doesn't have 30 years of experience to fall back on as Polian did.

I think Grigson aced his first year....   but, as Superman points out,  this year is an even bigger test.   Money to spend.   But a much more difficult draft position to start from.   And we're already down a 2nd round pick.   Question marks over who on the current team to re-sign, and who to let go.    This will be a challenging off-season.

I won't give Grigson a demerit if he's doesn't tell us much.   I expect he'll talk in broad, general terms about the future after the playoffs -- whenever that happens.   But I don't expect too many specifics.   I'll be looking forward to reading whatever tidbits we get, and trying to read between the lines....   

I think our future is bright...   but at the moment,  it's not entirely clear....   if you follow my meaning....