Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where will Gruden land?

chad72

Dallas maybe.

I am feeling Bears. Just like when he took over the Tampa Bay Bucs, could not get over the hump offensively, good defensive team. The Bears would fit Gruden perfectly. I think he would love working with Cutler and Marshall, and would bring offensive improvements with his playcalling.

I am feeling Bears. Just like when he took over the Tampa Bay Bucs, could not get over the hump offensively, good defensive team. The Bears would fit Gruden perfectly. I think he would love working with Cutler and Marshall, and would bring offensive improvements with his playcalling.

All true. I just think Dallas is the younger more talented team.

But Garrett isn't even fired so Chicago probably fits more lol.

He always drools over Cam Newton so what about the Panthers? I was Surprised they fired Rivera with the strong ending to the season the Panthers had.

Do you have a link about Rivera?  The only article I see on NFL.com says that the decision on Rivera won't come today.  Haven't seen anything indicating he was fired.  If he were fired then I could definitely see Gruden going there.  Otherwise I'm with Chad72 in thinking that Chicago is a possible landing spot.  I could see Chicago deciding between Gruden and Arians.  Philly and San diego could be other good landing spots for Gruden.

Do you have a link about Rivera?  The only article I see on NFL.com says that the decision on Rivera won't come today.  Haven't seen anything indicating he was fired.  If he were fired then I could definitely see Gruden going there.  Otherwise I'm with Chad72 in thinking that Chicago is a possible landing spot.  I could see Chicago deciding between Gruden and Arians.  Philly and San diego could be other good landing spots for Gruden.

Yeah, that is what I am seeing too. I think it would be a mistake to fire Rivera this year. What did the Panthers do exactly to help the offense on the WR front? They went out and gave a boatload of money to several RBs and the GM deserved to get canned for that. I think they should get some WR help and the Panthers will compete for the division again next year.

He always drools over Cam Newton so what about the Panthers? I was Surprised they fired Rivera with the strong ending to the season the Panthers had.

He dools over EVERY quarterback. Each one whether they are great, average, or Paintersque. He's too fake and sugarcoating things on tv.  I'd love for him to have the ability to say exactly what he was thinking.

He dools over EVERY quarterback. Each one whether they are great, average, or Paintersque. He's too fake and sugarcoating things on tv.  I'd love for him to have the ability to say exactly what he was thinking.

That will be on the sidelines as a coach with a bunch of "f..bombs" :)

That will be on the sidelines as a coach with a bunch of "f..bombs" :)

I've told the story of watching a feed of MNF, when the commercial break came and the cameras just showcased a full stadium view and they never killed their microphones.

The play before the break was a play where the TUCK rule might be called.

Tirico and Jaws were giving Gruden a hard time and Gruden made a few plays on the word TUCK, in reference to that Raiders/Patriots game, and then then he just went off on both of them, not personally or anything, but but he was hot... It was great.  

They come back to the broadcast and one of them asked Coach do you have an opinion on the play.  Tuck Rule Yippee... or something along those lines.

It would offend some fans, that's clear. But with the language that is allowed on FX and other basic cable channels that ESPN is in line with some things would obviously be acceptable from that perspective.

It would be interesting to have an unfiltered broadcast.  Obviously it wouldn't be First freaking down Baltimore  mother something Flacco under center or anything like that.

I'm not asking for Howard Stern, but Gruden as Mr. Rogers is a joke since it's nowhere near accurate. 

An Alpha male personality like Chucky would never mesh with a diva like Newton.     It would never work.  He will go where there is a QB there.

I could see Gruden in Chicago or SD.      Cutler and Rivers are his kinda guys.

To me Buffalo and KC are teams ready to explode..   they have boo koo talent.   They need a QB and it is on.

I've told the story of watching a feed of MNF, when the commercial break came and the cameras just showcased a full stadium view and they never killed their microphones.

The play before the break was a play where the TUCK rule might be called.

Tirico and Jaws were giving Gruden a hard time and Gruden made a few plays on the word TUCK, in reference to that Raiders/Patriots game, and then then he just went off on both of them, not personally or anything, but but he was hot... It was great.  

They come back to the broadcast and one of them asked Coach do you have an opinion on the play.  Tuck Rule Yippee... or something along those lines.

It would offend some fans, that's clear. But with the language that is allowed on FX and other basic cable channels that ESPN is in line with some things would obviously be acceptable from that perspective.

It would be interesting to have an unfiltered broadcast.  Obviously it wouldn't be First freaking down Baltimore  mother something Flacco under center or anything like that.

I'm not asking for Howard Stern, but Gruden as Mr. Rogers is a joke since it's nowhere near accurate. 

Ever heard Bob Knight speak candidly?

you tube Bob Knight angry motivation speech ..   prior to a Purdue game...  hehe.. 

Those were  the days... 

Ever heard Bob Knight speak candidly?

you tube Bob Knight angry motivation speech ..   prior to a Purdue game...  hehe.. 

Those were  the days... 

Yeah... He'd be another one that would be better to watch a basketball game with unfiltered. Some would have their feelings hurt, but they would eventually get over it.

It seems like Gruden is throwing his hat into the coaching offseason ring.

Where do you think he will land?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000119910/article/report-jon-gruden-to-interview-for-open-coaching-jobs

Gruden is also an attention hound..   It seems every job opening college or Pro his name is attached to.

At some point in time he needs to stop stroking his over inflated ego and do it again or just fade away.

Personally I never thought much of him as a coach.   I think he would be great in college but his personality wears folks wrong real fast.   I wonder if he ever sent Dungy a thank you note for the TB gig?  Which he promptly blew...

I watched Gruden for all his years in Tampa Bay, and I never understood what was so great about him.

Yeah he won a Super Bowl....with a team he did not build. I remember watching Tampa Bay, as they played the Saints twice a year with the new division re-arrangement and I can remember how they never had a quarterback, always changing under him, and they were so un-predictable. One season they are 11-5, the next they are 7-9. They go 4-12, then they are 9-7. They go 5-11, then they are 11-5.

He's one of the most overrated coaches I have seen. He's average at best considering his records in Tampa Bay. He would have a nice defense (mainly from the remains of Dungy's team) but on offense, he never had the ball rolling. Brad Johnson isn't the best thing in the world but they got rid of him right after they won that Super Bowl, and I had no clue why, cause everyone after him was average.

I watched Gruden for all his years in Tampa Bay, and I never understood what was so great about him.

Yeah he won a Super Bowl....with a team he did not build. I remember watching Tampa Bay, as they played the Saints twice a year with the new division re-arrangement and I can remember how they never had a quarterback, always changing under him, and they were so un-predictable. One season they are 11-5, the next they are 7-9. They go 4-12, then they are 9-7. They go 5-11, then they are 11-5.

He's one of the most overrated coaches I have seen. He's average at best considering his records in Tampa Bay. He would have a nice defense (mainly from the remains of Dungy's team) but on offense, he never had the ball rolling. Brad Johnson isn't the best thing in the world but they got rid of him right after they won that Super Bowl, and I had no clue why, cause everyone after him was average.

while the Bucs point is fair what I think gets lost about gruden is that he did build the raiders team that got to the Super Bowl too. It could be gruden is better at building than he is maintaining? That or I have always gotten the idea gruden was not a good fit for the bucs over the long haul. If you listen to the players talk about him I just don't think they liked him. Maybe had he stayed with the raiders a team he built with guys that responded better to his coaching style things might have gone differently over the long run.

It seems like Gruden is throwing his hat into the coaching offseason ring.

Where do you think he will land?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000119910/article/report-jon-gruden-to-interview-for-open-coaching-jobs

I'm curious to see what type of offense he'd run. As an analyst, he's made plenty of comments about learning the spread offense, and how he loved the wildcat and zone read type stuff. He is/was a west coast guy, but he seems like the mad scientist type that would reinvent himself, a little. They say he and Sean Payton talk offensive football all the time. I remember when people were hoping he'd come here when we were still looking for a head coach. I'm more than happy with Pagano but it would've been interesting to see what he could've done with Luck. Oh well. We'll never know now, I guess

I think Gruden's message grows stale.  After the Bucs Super Bowl, he only made the playoffs two other times.  Overall he is a basically a .500 coach.  And the year he was fired the Bucs went from 9-3 to missing the playoffs - a substantial collapse.  More telling to me, the Bucs replaced Gruden and the GM from within their own organization that season.  That speaks volumes to me about how Gruden was no longer leading, but the team obviously felt like the talent on the roster and existing staff was good enough to win. They didn't clean house, they just cut off the head.  And Gruden's run-ins with Al Davis, how the relationship with the Raiders ended was at least locally ugly as it played out (don't remember about nationally). 

As an aside, when Gruden was in Oakland I would run into him and his family a lot at A's games.  The few times I didn't feel creepy taking my kids over to him to say hello, he was unbelievably gracious and kind and accommodating to the gawkers.  His game face, tv persona, is not at all what I saw in person.  He was just a dad with a kid on his shoulders going to watch a baseball game. 

I think Gruden stays at ESPN. 

I could see him going to Philly. There's plenty of talent already there. Wouldn't take long to retool in my opinion.

I really like Gruden in  Philadelphia. Nice weapons there offensively. His accountability would go perfect in that city. I really liked how he motivated players in Oakland. Is Gruden brilliant? No. Can he light a fire under a player's backside? Yup.

Bogie, at least Gruden gave credit to Tony Dungy in 2002. Andy Reid wanted to be everyone's friend in the locker room, but Gruden will demand effort & results. I admire that personally. 

while the Bucs point is fair what I think gets lost about gruden is that he did build the raiders team that got to the Super Bowl too. It could be gruden is better at building than he is maintaining? That or I have always gotten the idea gruden was not a good fit for the bucs over the long haul. If you listen to the players talk about him I just don't think they liked him. Maybe had he stayed with the raiders a team he built with guys that responded better to his coaching style things might have gone differently over the long run.

That's a good point, but we really don't know what would have happened had he stayed in Oakland. When the Raiders made that Super Bowl, they were running the same system that Gruden had used there, that's why it was so predictable in that Super Bowl they managed to pick 5 interceptions.