Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

cowboys at redskins thread

shakedownstreet

Ware was contained by being left unblocked all night. He played one of his worst games as a pro. Bruce Irvin, from what I've seen, is a good pass rusher but that's it: he's not exactly good at run defense. I would expect another 65/35 run-pass ratio.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy stands in the pocket for 4-5 seconds , scans the field and throws a two foot pass that goes for 12 yards. Then the idoits start talking about Luck's ints. How in the world can RG3 throw ints with that scheme ? It's just a joke trying to compare these two guys. They are both great , but one is playing in an offense where he constantly has to make plays under duress , while the other dinks or throws to wide open guys over the middle. If Luck were able to pound the daylights with a 1500 yard RB , he would not have 18 ints. 

What Luck has done is incredible. What Shanahan has done with RG3's talent is incredible. Going forward , Wash fans have to hope RG3 holds up and teams don't get more adept at defensing this. IMO , as long as RG doesn't lose more than a step or two of speed , that offense will always be nightmare to defense. As far as Luck and Indy go ... I like the situation even more. With the great job Grigson did in year one and considering the massive cap room the Colts have , the O line will get fixed. 

Sorry to drift off topic.....

Guy stands in the pocket for 4-5 seconds , scans the field and throws a two foot pass that goes for 12 yards

That has nothing to do with the scheme. If anything that should actually be considered a plus for Griffin because it indicates he's going through his reads and settling for the checkdown when nothing is open (which was often the case last night because while Dallas' D-line was pitiful their DBs were disciplined against the pass and created tight windows all night). Watch Drew Brees play and he does the same thing all the time.

That has nothing to do with the scheme. If anything that should actually be considered a plus for Griffin because it indicates he's going through his reads and settling for the checkdown when nothing is open (which was often the case last night because while Dallas' D-line was pitiful their DBs were disciplined against the pass and created tight windows all night). Watch Drew Brees play and he does the same thing all the time.

No but it has a lot to do with a great running game and good pass protection. The Zone blocking scheme that enabled your 6th round rookie to break 1500 yards does play into this.

Absolutely. The offensive line played one of their best games of the season, Alfred Morris had a game for the ages, and RG3 struggled. It happensyes 

No question they came up big both offensively and defensively. I think the problem some have is the media going ga ga over RG3. He really didn't make a tough throw the entire night. The whole point is that these two guys are in different systems , with different talent levels around them  What they are called upon to do  renders very different stats. For some to say that RG3 is ahead of Luck or has played better because he has less turnovers and a better completion % is ignorant IMO. Let RG3 start throwing down field into tight windows with JJ Watt hanging from his butt. I guarantee you his QB rating will drop a whole bunch.

I'm re-watching the game tonight but my initial impression is that RG3 played better than the stats indicate. He was very deliberate with his zone-reads, but most of all, he stuck to the game plan. This was effectively a playoff game, and a heavy dosage of run was the key. RG3 did what was necessary which was not turn the ball over in obvious passing situations. While it may not be one of the flashy games we're used to seeing from him, and he did struggle with his passing, in context he did what needed to be done.

I'm re-watching the game tonight but my initial impression is that RG3 played better than the stats indicate. He was very deliberate with his zone-reads, but most of all, he stuck to the game plan. This was effectively a playoff game, and a heavy dosage of run was the key. RG3 did what was necessary which was not turn the ball over in obvious passing situations. While it may not be one of the flashy games we're used to seeing from him, and he did struggle with his passing, in context he did what needed to be done.

That's all cool and great and it does prove just what many of us are trying to say. Luck has the turnovers as he's asked to throw passes downfield with JJ Watt hanging on to his butt. RG3 is a stud handing the ball off to a guy who rushed for 1600 yards. Thanks for the help.

That's all cool and great and it does prove just what many of us are trying to say. Luck has the turnovers as he's asked to throw passes downfield with JJ Watt hanging on to his butt. RG3 is a stud handing the ball off to a guy who rushed for 1600 yards. Thanks for the help.

Complete and total misrepresentation of what I said.

Your example is like saying I botched the surgery because I opted to use larger and potentially less safe tools.

Luck ALWAYS has the option to take the shorter pass. But he doesn't.

Complete and total misrepresentation of what I said.

Your example is like saying I botched the surgery because I opted to use larger and potentially less safe tools.

Luck ALWAYS has the option to take the shorter pass. But he doesn't.

Just crazy to even infer that the offense RG3 is in is less prone to the QB turning the ball over than the offense Luck is being asked to run. Of coarse Luck has other options that include throwing the ball away , rather than throw an ill advised pass 25 yards down field. You have a huge habit of saying things that have a bit of truth to them while ignoring the real issues. One guy is throwing 16-20 passes a game , many of where he is sitting back there with 3-4 seconds scanning the field and dumping off a 2 yarder. The other guy is getting his groin bull rushed and has 2 seconds to do something with the ball. Most people would admitt that it's easier to play the QB position when your team leads the NFL in rushing. 

Surely regarding the rushing comment, but once against a gross misintepretation of what the Redskins run.

I get it, the offense is more simplified, whatever you want to call it, fine: what you cannot ignore, however, is the impact that Griffin has on the offense. That offense doesn't run like a well-oiled machine if Griffin isn't a threat to run. Those passing lanes don't open if he doesn't have a devastating play fake. Just as you can use existential reasoning for Luck's questionable turnovers, I can do the same to state that Griffin's impact on the game goes FAR beyond his "simplified" offense.

Surely regarding the rushing comment, but once against a gross misintepretation of what the Redskins run.

I get it, the offense is more simplified, whatever you want to call it, fine: what you cannot ignore, however, is the impact that Griffin has on the offense. That offense doesn't run like a well-oiled machine if Griffin isn't a threat to run. Those passing lanes don't open if he doesn't have a devastating play fake. Just as you can use existential reasoning for Luck's questionable turnovers, I can do the same to state that Griffin's impact on the game goes FAR beyond his "simplified" offense.

If Griffin did not run a sub 4.40 , the offense would be far easier to contain. I never said it wouldn't be. I've also said that he is a great talent. What I don't agree with is the state mongers that simply say one guy ahs 18 inmts and the other 6. End of story .. RG3 is the better QB. It goes a lot deeper than that. One guy has an all pro tackle , a great RB and is an an offense that is fit around his skills. The other has an O Line that is pretty much other team's back-ups. The offense is a 34 year old WR and a bunch of rookies. This and more has to be factored in when making a comparison. Did you happen to see what RG's QB rating is off play action compared to no play action ? I did  see it and it was insane. 

Gil Brandt....

7) Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts

Statistics don't tell the story when it comes to quarterbacks; wins do. Luck illustrates that perfectly. His numbers aren't amazing, but he's winning with lesser players around him than anyone else in the postseason. He's just been able to make plays that result in wins. He's also got incredible mental toughness. I don't think he'll have any jitters as a rookie; this guy's got ice water in his veins.

8) Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins

RG3 is helped greatly by the presence of Pro Bowl tackle Trent Williams. The Redskins also have a great system and a great running back in Alfred Morris. However, that shouldn't diminish the excellent play of RG3, who is an outstanding dual-threat quarterback. He did miss some time toward the end of the season with a knee injury, so there is some concern regarding his health. Against the Dallas Cowboys in Week 17, it looked like the knee slowed him down in the first half but not at all in the second.