Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

cowboys at redskins thread

shakedownstreet

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not count out the Skins vs. the Hawks unless Rg3 is really hurting. It's in DC where they are going wild.

Seattle is not the same super team on the road IMO. They got the D though but I get hesitant since they ARE SO HYPED UP.

good point.

Who knows how far they can go now.

Shame on the tall guy hitting the little guy and getting a RP. Takes a little out of the game.

Jesus, shut up Michaels and Collinsworth.

"RG3 can fix the fiscal cliff" that has to be the dumbest quote I've ever heard.

No...

"watching a one legged QB drag this team to the playoffs" or whatever Collinsworth said was dumber.  If you watched this game it's clear as day Morris carried this team to the playoffs not RG3 at least not tonight. 

Alfred Morris won the championship for my opponent. I was leading by 26 points with Garcon and Dan Bailey to go. He had Alfred Morris. Darn it!!! I was going for a 3 peat in my church FF league in championships. I lost by 5 points, thanks to that last TD by Morris. :(

Morris is on my hate list now.

Good God Romo, cant you keep the ball away from the Redskins for 1 flipping possession? Romo is an ungodly choker when it counts most. I was willing to give him credit for all the recent good play but he just choked it away when it mattered most.

Sorry to hear that Chad. If I knew I would have been rooting for you!

good point.

Who knows how far they can go now.

Shame on the tall guy hitting the little guy and getting a RP. Takes a little out of the game.

I am actually getting more concerned with GB next weekend now. I just feel like the Vikings are going to torch their defense......it feels like 2009 almost when they played the Cardinals in back to back weeks.

ugh.

Morris was fantastic. Griffin had a pretty subpar game. Their oline blocking schemes are unreal.

Again, I'm not mad at Griffin considering the dude is not 100%, especially considering what he has already done to the Cowboys. It was said all game that he was playing hurt but Alfred Morris was a beast.

9-18 for 100 yards. Morris had 100 more yards rushing than RG3 did passing and RG3 is the reason they won the game...Again my problem with RG3 isn't RG3 related it's the over hype the media gives him while discrediting his teammates. 

Well, you have to respect Griffin because he gave credit where it is due...

RG3 looks like this season is taking a toll on him.....

Luck pretty much admitted to being tired earlier this week so yeah I would agree it takes it's toll on rookie QBs.  RG3 is beat up no question.  He's been knocked out of two games this year and missed another one due to injury so I think the people who said you need to be concerned about RG3's health are right.  With that said credit to him and his Redskins they are Division Champions!

Well, you have to respect Griffin because he gave credit where it is due...

Like I said my issue with RG3 isn't really with him.  It's with the media that over hypes him.  Don't mistake that for me saying RG3 isn't a good player because I think he's really good but Morris is the best rookie on that team and that would be the case if he was on a team with Wilson or Luck too. 

Luck pretty much admitted to being tired earlier this week so yeah I would agree it takes it's toll on rookie QBs. RG3 is beat up no question. He's been knocked out of two games this year and missed another one due to injury so I think the people who said you need to be concerned about RG3's health are right. With that said credit to him and his Redskins they are Division Champions!

Yep.

And I'm not trying to stir up a "RG3 will never stay healthy" debate. Just looking at him at the end of that game you can see he isn't quite the "young rookie" he was at the beginning of the year.

The Cowboys limited the passing game by playing 2 deep safety and committing to the pass and not biting on play action. Rarely did they have single high safety because they didn't want to get beat deep like the first game. They also committed their corners to playing press man on every snap and to not react to the run because of the power of the Redskins play-action. The Redskins pretty much faced a 7 man front all night, and as such completely abused the Cowboys with possibly the easiest game to rush for 274 yards ever. They were outmanned because of an awful gameplan by Rob Ryan. 42 to runs to 18 passes shows how effective he was at actually slowing the Redskins

This is why I think the Skins can go far: try to stop the pass game and you can have RG3 open up everything with the option, focus on the run and you get killed with the play-action pass, committ your ends and you get burned up the middle, committ your safeties and corners and you get burned in the run game. It's a hard attack to stop because they're dynamic on so many fronts.

The Cowboys limited the passing game by playing 2 deep safety and committing to the pass and not biting on play action. Rarely did they have single high safety because they didn't want to get beat deep like the first game. They also committed their corners to playing press man on every snap and to not react to the run because of the power of the Redskins play-action. The Redskins pretty much faced a 7 man front all night, and as such completely abused the Cowboys with possibly the easiest game to rush for 274 yards ever. They were outmanned because of an awful gameplan by Rob Ryan. 42 to runs to 18 passes shows how effective he was at actually slowing the Redskins

This is why I think the Skins can go far: try to stop the pass game and you can have RG3 open up everything with the option, focus on the run and you get killed with the play-action pass, committ your ends and you get burned up the middle, committ your safeties and corners and you get burned in the run game. It's a hard attack to stop because they're dynamic on so many fronts.

Terrible game plan, IMO. I would take my chances with 8 in the box with the man corners on the outside with the OLB keying in on the QB while ILB keys in on the RB. It cost me my FF championship, still sore about it with Alfred Morris putting up 40 pts and my opponent winning by 5. :(

Terrible game plan, IMO. I would take my chances with 8 in the box with the man corners on the outside with the OLB keying in on the QB while ILB keys in on the RB. It cost me my FF championship, still sore about it with Alfred Morris putting up 40 pts and my opponent winning by 5. :(

Problem with that is though when you line up in three WR sets you're toast. If you're gonna play an 8 man front against the Redskins you HAVE to play single high safety because the Redskins will run a 3 WR set and just burn you on play action. That's why no team has really been able to shut down the Redskins this year: what they do, they do so well and Kyle Shanahan has been a master of adjusting based on the coverages the other team gives. If they're giving single high, he's just going to burn them with play action. If they play two deep, like last night, he's just gonna run the rock and force them to committ until he burns them over the middle on a skinny post.

Problem with that is though when you line up in three WR sets you're toast. If you're gonna play an 8 man front against the Redskins you HAVE to play single high safety because the Redskins will run a 3 WR set and just burn you on play action. That's why no team has really been able to shut down the Redskins this year: what they do, they do so well and Kyle Shanahan has been a master of adjusting based on the coverages the other team gives. If they're giving single high, he's just going to burn them with play action. If they play two deep, like last night, he's just gonna run the rock and force them to committ until he burns them over the middle on a skinny post.

I will take my chances with a QB throwing against my man CBs if I feel my man CBs are good enough than allow execution with an easier degree of difficulty running game. As an opposing coach, that is what I would do. If I get into 3rd and long, I would switch to zone coverage then with 2 safeties in coverage. If it is 3rd and short, it would still be 8 in the box and maybe send some run blitzes or pass blitzes to see if RG3 can make a quick decision.

I am sure RG3 will win enough battles there but then, RG3's TE group (if there are any :)) are not going to test my LBs in coverage, so I need to worry only about WRs with my man CBs. I will take those chances instead of dying a slow death vs the run, any day.

I am pretty certain that is how the Seahawks are going to play it, only single safety high with their physical man CBs and 8 in the box, bet on it. Single high, there is no play action that I would bite on. I play the run with the safety in the box, expect my man CBs to hold up and force RG3 to thread the needle, most teams have a better chance of stopping the Redskins offense through the air than on the ground, IMO.

That's a fair enough point, and if there's a team that has the corners to hold up all game, it's the Seahawks because they are ultra big and physical. I would imagine the counter would be to play the TE Leak or take the underneath stuff. It's really going to be a fun chess match to watch, that's for sure.

That's a fair enough point, and if there's a team that has the corners to hold up all game, it's the Seahawks because they are ultra big and physical. I would imagine the counter would be to play the TE Leak or take the underneath stuff. It's really going to be a fun chess match to watch, that's for sure.

Yep, should be interesting.

Several schools of thought to beat zone blocking:

1. Line up the DT's head up the guards and the DE's head up the tackles, their job is to fire into them face to face and keep them off the backers, that can work well vs smaller O-linemen used for ZBS

Other ideas are:

1. Penetration from the d-line
  2. Excellent angles of pursuit by LB's, especially trailing the backside for the cutback on the inside zone.
  3. Backside DL has to squeeze flat down the line.
  4. Have a force player that does not allow a soft edge. This stops the stretch play and makes the zone a little more one dimensional when they can't run it outside. This will allow your LB's to be more aggressive on the inside zone.

Ultimately, it is all about personnel and their discipline showed to execute things. :)

Yup, and I think the counter to the first point you made is to pull the guard and tight ends and run tosses and sweeps. Spread the defense out first and then hit them up the gut out of the pistol. Of course the defense can counter that by playing contain on the outside and forcing runs up the middle. And then the counter to that...

Yeah, it's gonna be a good one.