Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Upcoming Free Agents for Colts

Coltman51

Nice article in the Indystar yesterday listing upcoming players hitting free agency.

Unrestricted free agents:

Dwight Freeney

Jerraud Powers

Pat McAfee

Austin Collie

Donnie Avery

Winston Justice

Drew Stanton

Antonio Johnson

Darius Butler

Moise Fokou

Mewelde Moore

Tony Hills

Jamaal Westerman

Restricted free agents:

Jeff Linkenbach

Martin Tevaseu

Joe Reitz

Seth Olsen

Josh Gordy

A.J. Edds

Deji Karim

Cassius Vaughn

We already discussed this didn't we? I think we had a thread about who would get signed & who we'd let go. Idk, maybe I'm dreaming.

But I think Powers is gone this year

Yes, I think we already had this thread.

If Powers would take 2/3 of his salary since he only plays that many games, I'd re-sign him. But with CBs a premium in the league, someone will overpay him.

I'd love to see Freeney end his career here. The others are all expendable IMHO.

Nice article in the Indystar yesterday listing upcoming players hitting free agency.

Unrestricted free agents:

Dwight Freeney

Jerraud Powers

Pat McAfee

Austin Collie

Donnie Avery

Winston Justice

Drew Stanton

Antonio Johnson

Darius Butler

Moise Fokou

Mewelde Moore

Tony Hills

Jamaal Westerman

Restricted free agents:

Jeff Linkenbach

Martin Tevaseu

Joe Reitz

Seth Olsen

Josh Gordy

A.J. Edds

Deji Karim

Cassius Vaughn

Too bad we cant reverse this list because most of the restricted FA I think we could definitely let go. I think we'll attempt to re-sign McAfee, powers, avery, butler, fokou, vaughn, justice and linkenbach. One thing I liked about Grigson his first year is that he wasn't afraid to bring in free agents. I didn't hate polian but he just didnt do well with free agency whereas this year Grigson took a chance on a lot of guys and several of them payed off big time.

Would love to see Freeney back, just don't think it'll happen though. McAfee for sure! Avery, eh either way. Darius Butler though? I can't believe nobody has said anything about wanting to keep him. Vaughn as well I think butler is better in my opinion but both make splash plays and butler has shown he can cover. I like the guy a lot gives us a spark! As for the rest, yeah nobody really jumps off the sheet at me! Just my two cents.

Why do some of you want to see Freeney back?  Is it strictly sentimental?  He has contributed greatly in the past but currently he is overpaid for mediocre production.  Only 4 or 5 sacks this year.   I'd be surprised and even disappointed if he's re-signed unless he takes a significant pay cut.   

Why do some of you want to see Freeney back?  Is it strictly sentimental?  He has contributed greatly in the past but currently he is overpaid for mediocre production.  Only 4 or 5 sacks this year.   I'd be surprised and even disappointed if he's re-signed unless he takes a significant pay cut.   

Thats what i was meaning. Do not want to see him back for no 19 mil. He said he likes the city, and team, so maybe he could be a mentor and contruibute with the team and to the young guys. Worked pretty well for reggie. It is a business though and I have watched a lot of players I liked leave. Also Freeney is still a nice decoy and opens up the other side for Mathis!

He's going to take a pay cut no matter where he goes. The question is, will someone overpay him? Probably.

Look at it this way - forget the salary. Would you want a player with his talents as they are right now, on he team? I would.

So, what is that talent worth? I hope we offer him that number.

I agree 100%. Freeney was great in the old system, but he is nothing but a huge liability now, especially against the run. I don't get all the wanting him back at all. Im all about getting players that better fit the system and can do the job at hand. I've said it a million times, but I don't get attached to players emotionally and I have never understood those that do. It's a game and a business, players come and players go. As long as they can get somebody here that can better play the role of a 3-4 OLBer, then I'm happy.

Sorry, but it just seems like some would be happy sacrificing production for emotional needs. Thats just not the way I want my team to roll.

I agree 100%. Freeney was great in the old system, but he is nothing but a huge liability now, especially against the run. I don't get all the wanting him back at all. Im all about getting players that better fit the system and can do the job at hand. I've said it a million times, but I don't get attached to players emotionally and I have never understood those that do. It's a game and a business, players come and players go. As long as they can get somebody here that can better play the role of a 3-4 OLBer, then I'm happy.

so maybe barwin will be available? id be happy with that. My point with freeney being teams are still scared of his potential to an extent and it does free up mathis to get the pressure. I suppose though that if we get someone else and he proves himself then dang skippy. I have good feelings about this 3-4, I love 3-4 D's. All in all I leave it up to the big men, thats why they are the millioniares. I just want to see the lombardi trophy coming back to indy, whatever it takes BUILD THE MONSTER! 

I hear you guys.  Don't get me wrong...I still have love for DFree for what he's done in the past.  He'll always be a Colt to me...in spirit.  But we are in the here and now...and frankly Freeney seems to be a step too slow too often these days.  He doesn't get to the quarterback like he used to.  Furthermore he isn't much of a factor against the run. He does help to free up Mathis but if the Colts can find another decent pass rusher that player would do the same or vice versa.   Freeney is out of place in the 3-4 scheme and I think the Colts will part ways with him and try to find themselves a true 3-4 OLB pass rusher in the draft. 

It's simply a business decision like Balzer said.  We are upside down on Freeney now because his on field value is less than the salary he commands. I expect DFree likely wants to get as much as he can garner from his past production and will look for it in free agency.  He understands that this is a business and isn't married to Indy either. This will probably be his last contract so he will try to do what is in his best interest.  Indy should do the same and free up his dollars so they can continue to mold the defense into a Pagano caliber unit. 

No not sentimental...more practical. Hes come on stronger as of late but not enough to get him top dollar in FA. With a minimal draft picks and (in my opinion) no real quality pass rushers in FA, why not bring a vet back for a smaller contract. This would allow the Colts to go elsewhere in FA and the draft, like the Oline and Secondary. Worst case scenario he continues to put up a few sacks a year and we draft a pass rusher next draft. Best case scenario he pulls a Reggie and rips it up. Low risk high reward.

I hear you guys.  Don't get me wrong...I still have love for DFree for what he's done in the past.  He'll always be a Colt to me...in spirit.  But we are in the here and now...and frankly Freeney seems to be a step too slow too often these days.  He doesn't get to the quarterback like he used to.  Furthermore he isn't much of a factor against the run. He does help to free up Mathis but if the Colts can find another decent pass rusher that player would do the same or vice versa.   Freeney is out of place in the 3-4 scheme and I think the Colts will part ways with him and try to find themselves a true 3-4 OLB pass rusher in the draft. 

It's simply a business decision like Balzer said.  We are upside down on Freeney now because his on field value is less than the salary he commands. I expect DFree likely wants to get as much as he can garner from his past production and will look for it in free agency.  He understands that this is a business and isn't married to Indy either. This will probably be his last contract so he will try to do what is in his best interest.  Indy should do the same and free up his dollars so they can continue to mold the defense into a Pagano caliber unit. 

I don't think Freeney wants to be back here either. Like you said, this will likely be his last contract and he'll want to go to a 4-3 team where he can solidify his sack stats so he can make his run at the hall of fame. People thinks he might take a huge pay cut to stay here, but why on earth would he do that? He won't! Plain and simple and quite frankly, I wouldn't want him too. He just does not fit in the system and him being a liability against the run has been obvious all yr. long.

No not sentimental...more practical. Hes come on stronger as of late but not enough to get him top dollar in FA. With a minimal draft picks and (in my opinion) no real quality pass rushers in FA, why not bring a vet back for a smaller contract. This would allow the Colts to go elsewhere in FA and the draft, like the Oline and Secondary. Worst case scenario he continues to put up a few sacks a year and we draft a pass rusher next draft. Best case scenario he pulls a Reggie and rips it up. Low risk high reward.

There is no way Freeney is going to take a small contract to stay here. This will likely be his last contract and he'll want to rake in as much cash as possible, plus he'll want to pad his sack numbers that he won't be able to do here.

I can understand your perspective since you are coming from the angle that you don't think much will be available on the market or with our draft position in regards to a 3-4 pass rusher.  I just think that Freeney still thinks he is closer to that guy from 5 or 6 years ago than the Colts do and will probably want more than they should pay.  Bringing Freeney back for a low ball contract would be alright (if possible) but having him back in my opinion still means that we would have virtually no pass rush again next season.  5 sacks just doesn't get it.  He's getting older not younger so I don't think he'll be too much better going forward. 

There is no way Freeney is going to take a small contract to stay here. This will likely be his last contract and he'll want to rake in as much cash as possible, plus he'll want to pad his sack numbers that he won't be able to do here.

In that case we dont resign him. However I would have said the same about Reggie, but we all know what happened there. If Freeney is willing to come back for cheap we sign him, if hes not he walks.

Honestly - I don't think that Freeney is going to command another "big payday" ANYWHERE - considering his age and other factors.

Like many other players - I think he is looking for the "bling" and would like to add another Super Bowl ring to his trophy case before he retires. 

He "may" opt to sign for a smaller base contract - with incentives - for a chance at another ring.  Considering the progress the Colts have made in ONE YEAR under the new front office/coaching regime - is another Super Bowl berth in the very near future that far fetched ??

In that case we dont resign him. However I would have said the same about Reggie, but we all know what happened there. If Freeney is willing to come back for cheap we sign him, if hes not he walks.

The difference IMO is that Reggie can actually play in our system. I just have a feeling that the Colts have ZERO intention of bringing him back. IMO, they felt like they were pretty much stuck with him this yr. because of his contract, but if they could have gotten even a half way decent offer for him last offseason they would have parted ways with Freeney then. Even if he said "hey, I'll take a minimal contract to stay here with the Colts", that still don't change the fact that he's just not very good in this system and therefore the Colts would be losing production from the position. IMO, his replacement is already on the roster if nothing better comes along in the meantime. That guy is, Jerry Hughes. Yeah, that prospect isn't real exciting, but for the money that Freeney will probably want, the difference of keeping Hughes over Freeney will not be that dramatic.

Are you insinuating that his level of play here was the same as it has been in Chicago?

Perhaps not, but the level of coaching, scheming and the surrounding talent on defense while jennings was here wasnt at the same level as what jennings has now. Bottom line is he has gotten better but thats at least partly, if not largely due to superior coaching and a better scheme.

Perhaps not, but the level of coaching, scheming and the surrounding talent on defense while jennings was here wasnt at the same level as what jennings has now. Bottom line is he has gotten better but thats at least partly, if not largely due to superior coaching and a better scheme.

Jennings was terrible as a Colt. Coaching or not. Fans don't really care - if you repeatedly stink it up, you are going to get reamed.....I'd suggest a Pro-Bowl calibre player would be able to work with a coach to improve his play, if it really was down to poor coaching.

Jennings was terrible as a Colt. Coaching or not. Fans don't really care - if you repeatedly stink it up, you are going to get reamed.....I'd suggest a Pro-Bowl calibre player would be able to work with a coach to improve his play, if it really was down to poor coaching.

And I don't really care why some fans ream a player.  Just like I really don't care about some of the current fans who bash Luck for his poor completion percentage and high number of INT's.  I understand, like many do, that Luck's low completion percentage and high INT's come from the type of offense BA is running and a very poor OL.  That's not to say that Luck is perfect...there are things he needs to work on, but a lot of the things that some people are complaining about aren't entirely his fault.  However, it's the responsibility of the coaching staff to help Luck fix the things that are his fault. 

I wasn't really a fan of Jennings either while he was here because he did play poorly.  However in hindsight, and seeing how he's playing in Chicago, I think it's more than fair to say that his poor play was the result of either poor coaching, poor scheming and/or being pushed into a system that didn't play to his strengths. 

I also find the latter half of your post to be pretty ridiculous.  It's not the player's responsibility to work on improving a poor coaching staff.  It's the coaching staff's responsibility to coach and develop a player, and if the coaching staff isn't capable of doing that then it's up to the HC and/or GM to make changes to bring in a coaching staff that can help develop players.  Especially when you're talking about a late 2nd round pick like Jennings was.  If he were an instant pro-bowl caliber player then he would have been a top 5-10 pick in the draft, don't you think?  Since that was not the case, he clearly was not pro-bowl caliber upon entering the league, and therefore it's up to the coaching staff to develop him and bring out his full potential.  Otherwise, what's the point of having an entire coaching staff?  The previous regime's coaching staff could not, in 4 years, help Jennings to realize his pro-bowl caliber potential, but the Bears' coaching staff has been able to. 

And I don't really care why some fans ream a player.  Just like I really don't care about some of the current fans who bash Luck for his poor completion percentage and high number of INT's.  I understand, like many do, that Luck's low completion percentage and high INT's come from the type of offense BA is running and a very poor OL.  That's not to say that Luck is perfect...there are things he needs to work on, but a lot of the things that some people are complaining about aren't entirely his fault.  However, it's the responsibility of the coaching staff to help Luck fix the things that are his fault. 

I wasn't really a fan of Jennings either while he was here because he did play poorly.  However in hindsight, and seeing how he's playing in Chicago, I think it's more than fair to say that his poor play was the result of either poor coaching, poor scheming and/or being pushed into a system that didn't play to his strengths. 

I also find the latter half of your post to be pretty ridiculous.  It's not the player's responsibility to work on improving a poor coaching staff.  It's the coaching staff's responsibility to coach and develop a player, and if the coaching staff isn't capable of doing that then it's up to the HC and/or GM to make changes to bring in a coaching staff that can help develop players.  Especially when you're talking about a late 2nd round pick like Jennings was.  If he were an instant pro-bowl caliber player then he would have been a top 5-10 pick in the draft, don't you think?  Since that was not the case, he clearly was not pro-bowl caliber upon entering the league, and therefore it's up to the coaching staff to develop him and bring out his full potential.  Otherwise, what's the point of having an entire coaching staff?  The previous regime's coaching staff could not, in 4 years, help Jennings to realize his pro-bowl caliber potential, but the Bears' coaching staff has been able to. 

And you started so well, then your last paragraph just got stupid. Coaching, in a business sense is about working with the 'student' to improve their performance and fulfil their potential. It should be the same in sport. These are professional people who should be able to work together to establish why they are performing so poorly, and then work on their perceived reasons and work on a plan to improve. It is not like a teacher and a five year old pupil, where only one party hs the tools to know better. Find my views stupid if you like, but I find your views on this rather basic and....well....and as you would say, rather ridiculous.  

McAfee and Avery are must signs.

Powers, Justice, and Butler are should signs. Vaughn may go in here too for depth.

Freeney is a sign only if the price is right.

The rest are replaceable, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't be resigned.

And you started so well, then your last paragraph just got stupid. Coaching, in a business sense is about working with the 'student' to improve their performance and fulfil their potential. It should be the same in sport. These are professional people who should be able to work together to establish why they are performing so poorly, and then work on their perceived reasons and work on a plan to improve. It is not like a teacher and a five year old pupil, where only one party hs the tools to know better. Find my views stupid if you like, but I find your views on this rather basic and....well....and as you would say, rather ridiculous.  

I agree.  It is the job of the coach to work with the student, to help the student reach full potential.  If you take an average player and give him average coaching, he'll probably remain average.  But take that same average player and give him excellent coaching, and that player may just become an excellent player.  Obviously this isn't going to happen in every situation but it does happen.  Steve Young was a nobody until he became a 49er.  Would Favre have had the same career if he'd stayed in Atlanta playing for Jerry Glanville?  And on the flip side, you can take an elite player and put him on a team with poor coaching, and more often than not that player's production will go downhill.  Nnamdi Asomugha was an elite CB until he became an Eagle.