Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mark Sanchez's contract

Superman

Is he "uncuttable"? I don't think so.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21333356/mark-sanchezs-contract-makes-it-almost-impossible-for-jets-to-cut-him

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap-hit/

I'm just posting this because I want to get some additional thoughts on the logistics of this. Whether Sanchez should be released or not isn't my point; he obviously isn't living up to his contract, and they never should have given him the deal they gave him. But there's a lot of pundits suggesting that his contract makes him untouchable, and I don't agree. It would be unpalatable, but it's doable, for sure.

The contract includes $20.5m guaranteed, between 2012 and 2013 (signing bonus of $8m, plus base salaries totaling $11.5m plus workout bonuses totaling $1m). His cap hit for 2013 is $12.9m. If they were to cut him prior to June 1, his accelerated cap hit would be $17.65m, and they could spread that out over the 2013 and 2014 cap.

However, if I understand this correctly, they could release him at the end of the 2012 season and absorb that entire accelerated cap hit into the 2012 cap. They have a total cap charge for 2012 of $96m. The cap is $120.6m. They would still be $6m shy of the cap. They have the space to do so. Of course, they'd still owe Sanchez $8.75m in guaranteed money, but it wouldn't count against the cap for 2013.

I think the Jets have bigger problems than Sanchez, and there aren't a lot of other options available at quarterback right now. I personally don't think they should release him. But if they did, there should be a way to avoid being strapped with a bad dead cap hit, I think.

The Jets do have a fan that has a website dedicated to the salary cap.

http://nyjetscap.com/salary.html

He seems to stay pretty up to date with it.

New York Jets Salary Cap 

Jets Salary Cap Limit: $130,071,600
Current Jets Total: $126,560,354
Current Estimated Cap Space: $4,958,545

Updates

December 28- Removed WR Mardy Gilyard from active roster; Placed WR Stephen Hill and CB Aaron Berry on Injured Reserve
December 12- Added contract info for WR Braylon Edwards; Removed RB Kahlil Bell from active roster
December 4- Added contract info for WR Mardy Gilyard; Updated Practice Squad

Sanchez page

http://nyjetscap.com/marksanchez.html

The Jets do have a fan that has a website dedicated to the salary cap.

http://nyjetscap.com/salary.html

He seems to stay pretty up to date with it.

New York Jets Salary Cap 

Jets Salary Cap Limit: $130,071,600

Current Jets Total: $126,560,354

Current Estimated Cap Space: $4,958,545

Updates

December 28- Removed WR Mardy Gilyard from active roster; Placed WR Stephen Hill and CB Aaron Berry on Injured Reserve

December 12- Added contract info for WR Braylon Edwards; Removed RB Kahlil Bell from active roster

December 4- Added contract info for WR Mardy Gilyard; Updated Practice Squad

Sanchez page

http://nyjetscap.com/marksanchez.html

If that's accurate, then Spotrac is way off with its totals.

If that's accurate, then Spotrac is way off with its totals.

I've noticed that a few times before.  Each team does have their own cap # now with the carry over from year to year that can happen.  The money taken from Washington/Dallas pushed it to 120.6 starting point, and wasn't added to the 120.6 which some reptile liked to argue from time to time. 

I haven't dug that deep into it but at first glance a few weeks ago, I thought the # to cut him/trade him would result in around 18-19 million hit...  Obviously  if they were to trade him, they wouldn't owe any future base salaries....

I don't see how releasing him in 2012 would put it into the 2012 season. If so, that would be done quite often. 

To me their best hope would be having part of it in each 2012 & 2013 depending on if they treated it at as June 1 cut or not.

If you release a player in 2012, the accelerated cap penalties are applied to the 2012 cap, no?

I guess not, though. Manning was released at the end of the 2011 league year, but his cap hit was applied to the 2012 cap.

If you release a player in 2012, the accelerated cap penalties are applied to the 2012 cap, no?

I guess not, though. Manning was released at the end of the 2011 league year, but his cap hit was applied to the 2012 cap.

If they release him right now it should/could(would have to read up on it more) . If the wait until after game 16 I don't see how it could... Manning would be an example of that. 

I've noticed that a few times before.

I haven't dug that deep into it but at first glance a few weeks ago, I thought the # to cut him/trade him would result in around 18-19 million hit...  Obviously  if they were to trade him, they wouldn't owe any future base salaries....

And I guess you could do a lot worse than Mark Sanchez for one year at $8.75m ($8.25m base salary fully guaranteed, plus $500k workout bonus). Think any teams out there would give up a third rounder for a one year rental of Mark Sanchez with those numbers? Cardinals? Chiefs?

And I guess you could do a lot worse than Mark Sanchez for one year at $8.75m ($8.25m base salary fully guaranteed, plus $500k workout bonus). Think any teams out there would give up a third rounder for a one year rental of Mark Sanchez with those numbers? Cardinals? Chiefs?

Here is the Jets guys take on the Sanchez options.

http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/sanchezoptions.html

I've haven't read through it yet.. was just wanting to post it. 

Here is the Jets guys take on the Sanchez options.

http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/sanchezoptions.html

I've haven't read through it yet.. was just wanting to post it. 

Interesting portion:

The Jets handled this Sanchez situation so badly I don’t know what the perception is right now. He was benched for a 7th round QB with almost no upside. It’s pretty well accepted that Greg McElroy is not auditioning for a job. I’m not sure that Sanchez is done for the year and I think there is a good chance he starts week 17 in Buffalo as this move is as much about hiding Mark from the fanbase as it is benching him for two meaningless games. But teams do agree he has been handled poorly and that the Jets have no skill around him. While I disagree with the latter statement, as long as people think otherwise it doesn’t make a difference what I or any other fan of the team thinks about him.

I have to assume he will get a contract somewhere. As an average “bust” that will receive a contract the guesstimate based on the multiplier is that a team would be willing to pay him $2.88 million dollars in 2013. If you want to believe that the 5th pick in the draft status helps him you could jump that number to $3.79 million. So I think that is the framework the Jets have to work with. In terms of guarantees I think Sanchez would need to give up his 500K workout bonus to get out of town and convert it to something like $31,250 per game on the active 46 man list. If he does that it lowers the guarantee for the receiving team by 500K and they can control that money. Leinart had a similar 1 year deal in Houston prior to his 2 year extension.

What would be the financial impact if the Jets had to eat the balance of the $8.75 million? On the low salary end a cap hit of $14.773 million and on the high salary end $13.863 million. Both options are better than the $17.153 hit they would take for releasing him outright. As for trade compensation they would get something in return. 7 of these players were trades and 2 were claimed so there is a market. Even Cade McNown was part of a package for a 6th round pick. So the Jets can probably receive a 6th round pick for Sanchez. Not much but better than nothing.

The Jets gave up a 4th and 6th for Tebow, and paid an extra $2.6m of salary advance, and they never intended to start him at quarterback. I think Sanchez has more trade value, despite the higher price tag.

End of the day, I doubt the Jets get rid of him. I was just wondering why everyone is saying he's uncuttable and wanted to explore the numbers a little more myself.

Interesting portion:

The Jets gave up a 4th and 6th for Tebow, and paid an extra $2.6m of salary advance, and they never intended to start him at quarterback. I think Sanchez has more trade value, despite the higher price tag.

End of the day, I doubt the Jets get rid of him. I was just wondering why everyone is saying he's uncuttable and wanted to explore the numbers a little more myself.

It would be tough just to cut that amount of money.I remember years ago the 49ers cut Garcia and had 10 million cap hit and would have had a 12 million or so cap hit to keep him. It didn't make sense. He wasn't horrible, but for whatever reason they sent him packing.

They have a mess. If they allow Sanchez agent to discuss a renegotiation with a potential team, they might be able to move him, it will still have some cap issues, but he will be out the door. 

I never understood the Tebow situation. I guess he thought he could go there and beat out Sanchez quicker than he could beat out Gabbert. I don't think Rex Ryan wanted anything to do with him, and whether the Tebow decision falls on the GM or the owner, I'm not sure, but it's quite clear Rex Ryan wants no part of him.   From what I understand, Denver would have had a slightly better draft pick if he was traded to Jacksonville but Elway gave Tebow the ability to choose between NY/Jax, which if true, that is something not many GM's would do for a player. 

They are stupid to begin with by giving him that big contract after last year and expecting a "growing sprout" out of him. He was insured, big money to choke away the season. I'm sure he don't care either way, with the money he got from that, there is no way he's not satisfied.

I don't understand how a team gets to have a salary cap of $130 Mill.

The figure widely reported for all teams is $120 Mill.

Why do the Jets get an extra $10 Mill.

What am I not understanding about this???

Under the new CBA, teams can carry-over any unused space from the previous year. Sorta like whatever cell phone company lets you carry over your unused minutes. 1k minutes, use 450, you carry over 550 to the next month.

Here is an article about it, it's not the one I was looking for. There was one from around March that had a list of how much each team was able to use.  This is one of the reason some have felt it was odd to keep Freeney at the 19million cap hit. If they would have moved him before the season and didn't use the 14 million of savings, that money could have been carried over to next year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8016480/nfl-salary-cap-carryover-rewards-smart-management

Here is another article with examples for each team.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/30/salary-cap-situation-for-each-team/

The Colts carried over 2.5 million from 2011.

The Broncos for example carried over 26 million.

So basically teams can be thrifty one year and then have a windfall in the future.  

“(v) Carrying Over Room. A Club may “carry over” Room from one League Year to the following League Year by submitting notice in writing signed by the owner to the NFL no later than fourteen (14) days prior to the start of the new League Year indicating the maximum amount of Room that the Club wishes to carry over. The NFL shall promptly provide a copy of any such notice to the NFLPA. The amount of Room carried over will be adjusted downward based on the final Room available after the year-end reconciliation.”

You, my friend, are a walking, talking encyclopedia of NFL knowledge!       :worthy:

Many thanks....

Not sure how I feel about this rule.    Not sure if I like it or not.    Maybe I will after I give it more thought....

But carrying over money to a salary cap seems odd at best to me....  

Either way,  the owners and players seem to be OK with it...      so,  what the Heck do I know?!?      :loco:

You, my friend, are a walking, talking encyclopedia of NFL knowledge! :worthy:

Many thanks....

Not sure how I feel about this rule. Not sure if I like it or not. Maybe I will after I give it more thought....

Either way, the owners and players seem to be OK with it... so, what the Heck do I know?!? :loco:

The CBA requires teams to spend a certain amount of money. The carryover is supposed to ensure that the money gets spent, eventually.

You, my friend, are a walking, talking encyclopedia of NFL knowledge!       :worthy:

Many thanks....

Not sure how I feel about this rule.    Not sure if I like it or not.    Maybe I will after I give it more thought....

Either way,  the owners and players seem to be OK with it...      so,  what the Heck do I know?!?      :loco:

In years past teams would sometimes do a late season extension which would then filter some $ into that current year, which would make the player happy(new deal), and would maximize the cap in that year, and have the dollars working towards the future at the same time.  

The CBA requires teams to spend a certain amount of money. The carryover is supposed to ensure that the money gets spent, eventually.

Very true.