Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DT - 87 catches, 1,312 yards, Decker - 78 catches, 988 yards

oldunclemark

Demariyus Thomas and Eric Decker 165 catches, 2,300 yards

Both 25 years old..both at or over 1,000 yards..

Both big 6-foot-3 220, 230 pounds.

Both will be in their prime the next three or four years...

....remember when some wondered why Peyton Manning would chose Denver?

Seemed strange, they said?

Made no sense, they said?

He'd be better off in SF with that (crazy SOB Harbaugh), they said?

Well Manning came into perhaps the best scenario when it comes to offense.

That O-line is one of the better ones around, with one of the best LTs around in Ryan Clady.

Add the fact that they have a great receiving core (tight ends too), with solid running backs. 

This team was bound to succeed. Although Manning is the big reason why they're great, they've received a lot of great performances from some other guys (Miller, Thomas, Clady, Decker, Bailey...etc).

They...did not include me....I said Denver from day1....for a change I was correct.  We saw what DT could do with 'what's his name' at QB......and Decker NEEDED to be led...a match made in heaven (No offense to what's his name?)  Throw in Dressen and Tamme, and a splash of Stokely.....a power propelled Prater (Say that 3 times fast)  A very very good decision by Peyton Williams Manning indeed!   :thmup:   (If it is not my/our Colts....why not?)

San Fran was still the better location. IMO.

I agree in terms of wins and losses....but he did not seem to want to play Eli.....I personally feel that San Fran could have been undefeated or 1 loss, but he has Peyton Manning reign in Denver.....

Would Jimmy H have turned everything over to him???

Is having full control with Denver better than San Fran......?  Just thoughts...not a debate....

Edited by BrentMc11

I agree in terms of wins and losses....but he did not seem to want to play Eli.....I personally feel that San Fran could have been undefeated or 1 loss, but he has Peyton Manning reign in Denver.....

Would Jimmy H have turned everything over to him???

Is having full control with Denver better than San Fran......? Just thoughts...not a debate....

No debate at all. Spot on analysis.

San Fran, I believe, is the all around more complete team. But it also had more non-on the field issues. Such as you said, control, and Eli.

I think he would be undefeated with that Niners team right now, but maybe that is because I respect the team Harbaugh has built, and Peyton Manning too much lol.

No debate at all. Spot on analysis.

San Fran, I believe, is the all around more complete team. But it also had more non-on the field issues. Such as you said, control, and Eli.

I think he would be undefeated with that Niners team right now, but maybe that is because I respect the team Harbaugh has built, and Peyton Manning too much lol.

I am BrentMc11...and I approve this message.....

I am with ya House as usual!!!  Good stuff....and love those game day threads!!!  :)

When March 7th dawned on us and the unthinkable become a horrible reality,  I thought of six teams. Denver, Kansas City, Washington, New York Jets, Arizona and  San Franciso.

I quickly ruled San Francisco out due to the battles that the two alpha dogs would have over the offense.  I think Manning could run the WCO, and I think he could own the WCO, because he would put in his normal effort whether he was running something new/old/similar etc.  With that said, I don't think Harbaugh would have relinquished control, and I could honestly see some punches being thrown or at least the two being separated at practice. 

The thoughts of Manning to Fitzgerald quickly wilted with a quick review of their cap issues, and Fitzgerald being the only real asset in the desert. Like Manning said at a probowl. "Olivia could throw touchdowns to Fitzgerald".  A little dig at his brother  a touchdown pass to Fitzgerald during the interview.

On to New York, is that biggest city in the world big enough for two Manning's?  Yes.  Madison avenue would have temporarily been renamed Manning avenue, and Don Draper and the gang would come out of retirement with some fat suits and some old age make up for some commercials. When Dungy retired, I wanted Rex Ryan hired. Manning/Moore keeps the offense in check and Rex would have made similar strides/improvements that Pagano/Manuksy have made this year, well that didn't happen, but Manning in Jets Green would have rubbed a lot the wrong way.  Maybe they bring in a few other weapons, but Manning would have worked with what they had far better than Sanchez.  Facing New England twice a year isn't the easiest path to the playoffs. They would have gone toe to toe, maybe even knocked each other down, and could have had round 3 in the playoffs. Who knows. There were smoother paths elsewhere.

Washington

I remember Manning & Shanhan both raving about each other after spending time together at a pro bowl, and I believe that they would have meshed really well. Shanahan's WCO playbook wouldn't have had the Baylor sprinkles, but it would have had some Manningesque additions to it. My personal belief that even with Eli in New York, Washington was a consideration. One of the reasons I feel this way, is in one of the articles about Elway/Manning getting together in Denver, it was the same night of the Rams/Redskins trade, and the article made it sound like Peyton was extremely shocked that the trade had been made. Obviously that crossed the Redskins off his list, and likely allowed Tennessee to move into a contender.

Kansas City

This 2 win team has what 4 or 5 pro bowl players. A solid defense, Bowe who is currently an underperforming/unhappy wide receiver, the most underrated running back in the NFL in Jamal Charles, who recently received the # of carries to be elgible to hold the NFL record for yards per carry supplanting the great Jim Brown. All they needed was a quarterback. Now they will likely need a new GM, a new HC, and a lot more, but if 18 had ended up in KC, I believe they would be the ones with AFC west championship and battling for a bye. They wanted to dance, just like Seattle did, but Manning didn't even offer them a wink.

Denver

To me they were right up there with KC. The young receivers, the decent OL, some young and old talent on defense(Dawkins&Bailey with Miller&Dumerville). They barely won the west last year with Tebow at QB.  Manning raved about Decker when he was coming out of college, and I think he saw those two 6'3 receivers, that were 24/25 years old. He also had to know that if those two were willing to put in the effort that they could build something special.  That offensive line looks far better with 18 behind it than it did with Orton & Tebow. Mcgahee was strong and Moreno has been a bit of a surprise in replacing Willis. 

Some of the choices he likely needed 87 to tag along(Miami/New York/KC/Ari), etc. If 87 would have followed him to Denver, then that offense would be even more dangerous. 

Who knows what their record would look like if some of their tougher games would have been later in the year, when the offense had more time to mesh and get more on the same page.  Maybe he will face one or all of those losses in the playoffs.  It will be interesting. 

Leaving Indy wasn't Manning's wish or decision, but once that decision was made for him, I feel he made the best decision for the next 5 or years. 

I personally thought he would have more success on the 49ers and I still think he would.  All that team needed was a QB and they would be set for a very long time. 

Snow man..you think Manning....as he is now...would get the 49ers to the Super Bowl through GB and Atlanta in the NFC??

Just asking.

agreed..very well said.......wonder what it would, take for Larry Fitzgerald to be traded to Denver

A No.1 and the Broncos big rookie backup?

Fitzgerald isn't going anywhere..

They are already having cap issues. Moving his monstrous contract would be all but impossible.   8 years 128 signed in 2011.

A #1 and the rookie QB wouldn't even get me to pick up the phone.    

Fitzgerald isn't going anywhere..

They are already having cap issues. Moving his monstrous contract would be all but impossible.   8 years 128 signed in 2011.

A #1 and the rookie QB wouldn't even get me to pick up the phone.    

Your sure? at 5-11...they'll pick up the phone...if Tebow calls

...a guy like Larry Fitzgerald is a luxury on a team like that....

..but, I agree, if their off-season quest is to get a QB..trading away an all-star wide out probably isnt the way to start..

Your sure? at 5-11...they'll pick up the phone...if Tebow calls

...a guy like Larry Fitzgerald is a luxury on a team like that....

..but, I agree, if their off-season quest is to get a QB..trading away an all-star wide out probably isnt the way to start..

Fitzgerald would be a luxury on EVERY NFL team, whether their best receiver is Calvin Johnson, or whoever is WR1 in some place like Miami.

I'm just saying that the salary cap and his contract would prevent him from being traded. They are already having trouble and moving his contract would create an even larger mess.  It's not about anybody not wanting him. Every team would gladly put in a claim for him if he were released(if they could fit him under the cap), he's easily one of the top 2-3 receivers in the NFL.

You last sentence has some merit too. To me, throwing to Fitzgerald is the most attractive thing about Arizona, outside of the ladies at ASU, but that is another story.   If they didn't have Fitzgerald I doubt Manning would have even looked their way. They would have received the Seattle/Kansas City treatment. 

Back before Manning was released, the Lions could have called and offered Stafford, Johnson, Suh for Manning, and the trade couldn't happen based on the rules that were in place. The Lions wouldn't make that call, but I was just using an absurd example. It's a bit different, but still similar.