Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

jerry hughes

CR91

What I'm watching from him is the increase of strength at the point of attack for him. Tackles are getting longer, so it's hard to use a player of his skill set until he gains more strength. It's starting to come along though. We know he has great speed. He needs to use the speed to complement him abilities. It may be beneficial in my opinion the he gained some muscle mass.

Both Freeney & Mathis have missed multiple games this year to say nothing of the time that he might spell them. There has been ample oppty for him to show something. He has not to this point. Nothing close to his draft status and nothing close to the production needed to where the Colts can let Freeney walk knowing they have his replacement already on the roster.

Hughes may not fit the Freeney pass rush role (and pass rush only) well but thats because he is clearly fit for Robert Mathis role of, dropping back in a short zone and making tackles while sometimes rushing the passer which Hughes has also shown he can do, if your taken in and out of games alot it makes it tough to get a feel for the game, Think about it, ok he comes in for a play drops back in coverage the ball is not thrown to his side someone makes the tackle..... plays over, coach takes him out for several plays, brings him back in this time to give Freeney or Mathis a breather. Imagine doing that over the course of a season, ya cant get into the flow of a game.

Hughes may not fit the Freeney pass rush role (and pass rush only) well but thats because he is clearly fit for Robert Mathis role of, dropping back in a short zone and making tackles while sometimes rushing the passer which Hughes has also shown he can do, if your taken in and out of games alot it makes it tough to get a feel for the game, Think about it, ok he comes in for a play drops back in coverage the ball is not thrown to his side someone makes the tackle..... plays over, coach takes him out for several plays, brings him back in this time to give Freeney or Mathis a breather. Imagine doing that over the course of a season, ya cant get into the flow of a game.

Is Hughes your brother? That is the only way to explain this apparent love affair and the continued excuses for him.

Definitely better in the Mathis role.....the entire defense needs to improve in contain.  I know you do not have a love affair with Hughes and nor do I.  All you need to do is watch the comfort level on the 'Mathis side.'  You are correct.

Hughes.....must have also been confused with Mathis.  He is held on almost every play too, and was 'taken down' via non called holds twice on 'contain opportunities' last game.  I have been the first to criticize Hughes, but I will be the last one defending him if he is out there making plays!!!

Bottom line is, Hughes is better than he was, probably was not a number 1 pick, but if he can fit a role with building the monster and utilizing his speed and motor I keep him!  If not, I get rid of him.....easy math from BrentMc11...... :peek: Is there such a thing as easy math? :)

Your kinda making a point for me, that it really doesn't matter what round he was picked, what matters is if he can play or not.

yeah i think out of a first rounder you want a starter/pro bowler (if your lucky) 3rd/4th round guys to me are guys you can plug in and aren't a liability. he has been serviceable to me. just nothing that really wows me into being glad we took him so early.

If you expect that a 1st round selection is going to come in and start and give you solid production in his first year, second year and so on then yes he's a bust. But, I think this 3-4 scheme fits his skills better than the 4-3. He played decent this year but he is not I repeat not a better than average player. Does that mean I don't like him? No, but I think he was probably drafted 3 rounds ahead of where he should have been. He'll do fine next season and be an average player but I don't ever see him as a 10 sack guy.

Is Hughes your brother? That is the only way to explain this apparent love affair and the continued excuses for him.

No lol, I am just saying 1st round draft picks are normally expected to play an produce pretty fast if not right away but the fact is Dwight Freeney was not going to go anywhere right away because he was still putting up sack numbers(kinda like ya dont go cutting off the nose off the nose to spite the face saying), The previous year in 2009 (right before Hughes was drafted) Freeney had 13.5 sacks, fast forward to the next season in 2010 Freeney had 10 sacks, I dont know if Hughes was to be the immediate starter, I do know Freeney was in his prime and putting up numbers, Its conceivable Polian saw Hughes talent and figured he could learn a year or two under Freeney while working out gaining some muscle getting a little bigger, He was never meant to start right away in my opinion but I do know he has put up 38 tackles and 4 sacks while starting 6 games in a new scheme, I know he has played in every game this season but how many of those snaps did he play in those 9 game he did not start? I doubt half.

I don't know, one of the few times you see him on national tv, he is grabbing the opposing QB's legs after a play, so that he falls trying to get up. It just seems so classless.  Couple that with non productive seasons in a 4/3 and an average season in the 3/4, and he has a lot to overcome, imo.

yeah i think out of a first rounder you want a starter/pro bowler (if your lucky) 3rd/4th round guys to me are guys you can plug in and aren't a liability. he has been serviceable to me. just nothing that really wows me into being glad we took him so early.

Well 1st round busts are fairly common, and JH isn't really a bust, just picked a round or 2 early and he is serviceable. You could look at many draft picks and say " I wish we took so and so instead". It's all hindsight to me, things could be worse.

I can't argue with this either really.