Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck reminds me of ......

GrizzColt

A young Archie Manning.   Which is funny because the 2 families are friends.  Same height, both physically strong, big arms, very mobile, similar demeanor and both played behind the worst offensive lines in the history of NFL time. Archie took sacks the way Luck is taking them this year and never complained.  He was always running for his life and yet still able to make exciting throws.  Most people who saw Archie always said he would have been elite if he had ever had a good Oline.  He still put up good numbers just like Luck is doing this year.  Of course, we hope to correct our line issues but Peyton and Eli's Dad didn't get so lucky.

He doesn't remind me of Archie Manning at all, he does remind me alot of Ben Rothlesberger!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I feel old. :) I get the distinct impression none of you were old enough to have watched Archie play. If you did, you wouldn't be saying Big Ben. Ben is as slow as Christmas. Archie and Andrew are or we're really fast and threw better on the run. Ben doesn't throw good off the run, he just shrugs guys off and then throws it.

I'm not that young myself, but... I can't for the life of me ever remember seeing Manning play.  Of course, with only 4 or so TV stations, you'd have to live in LA I'd wager.  However, his name was well known, irregardless. Here are the QB's I remember seeing as a little tyke-  

Johnny Unitas,  Though I was not yet the Colts fan like my brother... yet!

Bart Starr, only because my mother was infatuated with him.

Len Dawson, when in KC with Hank Stramm

Dandy Don Meredith, Dallas Cowboy through and through.

Roger Staubach, was instrumental in creating Americas Team

Daryl Lamonica, had a receiver we all tried to emulate in the backyard

Fran Tarkenton.  Purple was my team back then  (Joe Kapp to follow)

John Hadl.  Had that other wideout we all tried to emulate (Dan Fouts to follow)

Bob Greise, only perfect season ever still

Roman Gabriel, coolest name to me as a kid

John Brodie, always seemed to get his player card in every pack I bought.  LOL

George Blanda, before he went to Oakland

Tom Flores, what a run of QB's - Flores, Lamonica, Stabler, Plunkett.

I can't believe I can still remember these dudes.  By the same token, we are starting to see a plethora of very good QB's in the NFL these days.  And I wish I could have seen Archie, so Luck is like a Favre / Roethlisburger hybrid with wheels to me.   :)

This has nothing to do with the way he plays but he looks like Jim Harbaugh with a football helmet on to me. 

I was wondering if someone would mention this.  Harbs threw well on the run and had a gritty persona as well - but yes - when Luck is clean shaven and wearing a helmet, I see Harbs.  When Luck ran in  the TD against GB and ran over to pat the ChuckStrong banner, I could see Harbs doing that if he were still playing.  Simply put, Luck is a "football player" who also happens to play QB at a high level.

Luck does kind of remind me of Ben however no where near as a derp and a complainer. He's also much more athletic in my eyes, better faster & stronger. Colts just need to work on building a team and fixing the OL, we seen Ben behind a terrible line for years. We DON'T want to same thing to happen to Luck.

Ben has also only passed for 4k yards twice in his career, Luck did it as a rookie. Beef up the OL, Luck gets better and 5k is more than achievable.

I agree with the "beef up the OL" part, but I would rather see it produce 1,000 + yard rushers, or dare I dream 2,000 + yards.

To be honest he doesn't remind me of anyone. He has some great abilities other QBs before him had but the mixture of those abilities makes him unique.

-Sometimes he's very patient in the pocket like Brady or Manning

-sometimes he likes to scramble behind the line like Rothlisberger or Rodgers

-his release speed doesn't seem fit his throwing power, but sometimes when throwing on the run its much faster

- he's got good speed like Newton but his running style is Tebow-esque, he doesn't juke, would rather run through you

- big and strong like Ben, can shrug of tackles

-very clutch, almost seems to play better when down a few scores.(Eli?)

-he's got everything in order to be a field general

-he's extremely tough

A young Favre/Moon hybrid.

Okay, I love the comparison to Warren Moon Jules, but Brett Favre really? Does Luck throw interceptions in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter? Does he show up late or near the end of training camp because he's a spoiled brat? Does he flip flop so often, you'd think he's running for office? No on all counts. Luck will win more than 1 SB; something #4 ever did. No more comparisons to Brett Favre Prima Donna please. Thank you. 

I respect the Hades out of your analysis Jules. We just differ significantly on the comparisons to Brett Favre that's all. The picks on Luck's part are attributable to poor o-line protection vs on Favre's part = bone headed arrogance & stupidity IMO. 

People might be inclined to compare Luck's toughness to Brett Favre...Wrong again IMHO...If you're gonna go there stick with comparisons to Titans QB Steve McNair a thousand times tougher than Brett Favre. Again, just my 2 cents. BIg Ben's body type, physique, & toughness comparisons are acceptable though.

I'm not that young myself, but... I can't for the life of me ever remember seeing Manning play.  Of course, with only 4 or so TV stations, you'd have to live in LA I'd wager.  However, his name was well known, irregardless. Here are the QB's I remember seeing as a little tyke-  

Johnny Unitas,  Though I was not yet the Colts fan like my brother... yet!

Bart Starr, only because my mother was infatuated with him.

Len Dawson, when in KC with Hank Stramm

Dandy Don Meredith, Dallas Cowboy through and through.

Roger Staubach, was instrumental in creating Americas Team

Daryl Lamonica, had a receiver we all tried to emulate in the backyard

Fran Tarkenton.  Purple was my team back then  (Joe Kapp to follow)

John Hadl.  Had that other wideout we all tried to emulate (Dan Fouts to follow)

Bob Greise, only perfect season ever still

Roman Gabriel, coolest name to me as a kid

John Brodie, always seemed to get his player card in every pack I bought.  LOL

George Blanda, before he went to Oakland

Tom Flores, what a run of QB's - Flores, Lamonica, Stabler, Plunkett.

I can't believe I can still remember these dudes.  By the same token, we are starting to see a plethora of very good QB's in the NFL these days.  And I wish I could have seen Archie, so Luck is like a Favre / Roethlisburger hybrid with wheels to me.   :)

These names arer before TV!

she was saying a young Brett Favre. he wasnt that way, its his later years most people remember him for which is a shame.

Trust me, I saw a lot of GB games...Young, middle aged, old...Brett Favre was always interception prone & over the top arrogant sir. 

Don't believe just ask former GB HC Mike Holmgren. #4 never knew when the throw the ball away & live another down. 

Trust me, I saw a lot of GB games...Young, middle aged, old...Brett Favre was always interception prone & over the top arrogant sir. 

Don't believe just ask former GB HC Mike Holmgren. #4 never knew when the throw the ball away & live another down. 

I wanted to add this to my original post: 

Favre always believed that he could throw into double & triple coverage with no consequences. Brady, Rogers, Manning, Big Ben, & Eli only do this when they have no other choice. 

This "Gunslinger Motiff" with Favre really ticks me off. Why does he get a pass for poor decision making anyway? I do not view #4 with....

rose+colored+glasses.jpg

I do get the Bert Jones/Jim Harbaugh comparisons.  They do kind of fit.  

However, when I think of Big Ben, I picture him falling asleep with a bag of potato chips on his stomach.  The bag moving up and down as he snores until it makes a crinkling sound waking him up.  He then finishes off the chips and falls back to sleep.  That just doesn't remind me of Luck :)

Yes SW1 both McNair and Favre were tuff ball players! If it was the last play of the SB and I was down I would want Favre as the qb because he'll make something happen. Now it may be a great play or it may be a bonehead play but rest assure Favre will make happen. I like Favre because he played with heart! lol Yes SW1 sometimes too much heart and no ..........

LOL!  To be fair, we didn't get our color TV until late 60's...

We also had color - black, white and gray! And before cable we also had the weather channel -snow and limited visibility! My dad also control the remote - son get up there and change the channel!

Again, I will readily admit that I think Brett Favre is overrated & yes, I can understand peoples dislike over Big Ben comparisons. You both make valid points GrizzColt & 100GFB! I don't want to trample anyone's creative QB comparisons to Luck at all. Sorry if I came across as abrasive & closed minded everyone. Let's just say that I am not the leader of Brett Favre's fan club & leave it there... :funny:  :lol:  lmao

Okay, I love the comparison to Warren Moon Jules, but Brett Favre really? Does Luck throw interceptions in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter? Does he show up late or near the end of training camp because he's a spoiled brat? Does he flip flop so often, you'd think he's running for office? No on all counts. Luck will win more than 1 SB; something #4 ever did. No more comparisons to Brett Favre Prima Donna please. Thank you. 

I respect the Hades out of your analysis Jules. We just differ significantly on the comparisons to Brett Favre that's all. The picks on Luck's part are attributable to poor o-line protection vs on Favre's part = bone headed arrogance & stupidity IMO. 

Hey blame Bogie. He is the one who put the Moon/Favre hybrid thing in my head early this season and it stuck with me. I started to see it more too when I watched old film on Favre/Moon. And yes I was a fan of Favre too, before Rodgers there was Brett who I was a big fan of. I think people get so romanced by Rodgers (and I don't blame them) that they forgot how awesome Favre really WAS. I do think Favre is a touchy topic though at times with many due to his later years and his issues parting with GB. You either seem to hate or love him now.

I am not saying Luck is EXACTLY like Favre, or Moon or anyone. He just has a few aspects of his game or intangibles that make sense with comparisons. But, it depends on the individual and what they see too.

Hey in 2009 Favre still was rocking the league. He could have been MVP that season for making the Vikings a real SB contender. Yeah he ended the game on a bad pick vs. the Saints. A few weeks later Peyton did the same. So what. Favre gets dragged through the mud it seems for every single mistake he made while others didn't or don't. I don't always get it but maybe it's the likability factor with some that goes a long ways. There were some Packers games too where it was all on Brett's shoulders too and the run game was shaky/playcalling and people would still blame just him for the loss.

And yes like you I hope Luck's Colts can win more then 1 title. Thats why I hope he proves he has some "Montana coolness" in the coming years in the playoffs. ;) Montana is still the GOAT to me, I don't care what anyone says.....

Like I said, sometimes people forgot how amazing some of these past greats were. I would take many of them over any of todays  and thats JMO. They plays in an era too without all the pass friendly rules. The fact that Luck reminds me and a few old school football fans I know of some past greats is really a huge huge compliment I feel.

People might be inclined to compare Luck's toughness to Brett Favre...Wrong again IMHO...If you're gonna go there stick with comparisons to Titans QB Steve McNair a thousand times tougher than Brett Favre. Again, just my 2 cents. BIg Ben's body type, physique, & toughness comparisons are acceptable though.

Ya dont hold the all time record for a QB of 321 starts without being tough(including playoffs), Also Favre has plenty of comebacks and TD's to his credit, I think, when you play 20 years in the league your going to have quite a few interceptions, Manning himself has 7 years of 15 or more interceptions, Also remember the league that Favre started in and played quite a bit of his career in, much more physical and passer friendly, Favre had a great career in my opinion and so has Manning, both deserve a pat on the back so to speak for what they have done

We also had color - black, white and gray! And before cable we also had the weather channel -snow and limited visibility! My dad also control the remote - son get up there and change the channel!

I remember those days quite well. That's why parents had kids: Farm hands, household chores, & channel changers...Wait...Go back...Stay there...

We watched what our parents wanted to watch not the other way around like it typically is today.  haha

Again, I will readily admit that I think Brett Favre is overrated & yes, I can understand peoples dislike over Big Ben comparisons. You both make valid points GrizzColt & 100GFB! I don't want to trample anyone's creative QB comparisons to Luck at all. Sorry if I came across as abrasive & closed minded everyone. Let's just say that I am not the leader of Brett Favre's fan club & leave it there... :funny:  :lol:  lmao
No you weren't abrasive but I do have some sandpaper if needed! I also don't like to compare because they all were great qb's or great ball players. Each had their own defining characteristic whether it was brains, athletic ability or heart they were all good/great qb's!

What, no 'Space Command' remote?  LOL   What are remotes now in comparison, Mission Control and Space Shuttle combination hybrids?   ;)

We even had motor control that rotated the TV antenna aerial on the roof.  Could grab an extra station or two from a differing neighbor city that way.   ;) Then, in early-middle 1970's  Cable TV!! Woo hoo!  Got the Home Box Office subscription too!  I think that was almost cables 'killer app' back then.  It was pay extra to get it, but so worth bypassing commercials and going out to the movies. Not unlike home theaters and Blu-ray movies of today. :)

Ya dont hold the all time record for a QB of 321 starts without being tough(including playoffs), Also Favre has plenty of comebacks and TD's to his credit, I think, when you play 20 years in the league your going to have quite a few interceptions, Manning himself has 7 years of 15 or more interceptions, Also remember the league that Favre started in and played quite a bit of his career in, much more physical and passer friendly, Favre had a great career in my opinion and so has Manning, both deserve a pat on the back so to speak for what they have done

Yes Gavin, I agree that Favre does deserve to be in the HOF & yes all great QB's throw picks, but Favre has been known for throwing multiple picks in Championship games at the worst possible time. To be fair to #4, my respect for Brett grew by leaps & bounds considering the punishment he took in 2009 vs the Saints. By the 4th quarter, I expected Favre to be dead. No, I am not advocating physical harm toward him. I was just astonished at the beating Favre took that's all. 

Then, in early-middle 1970's  Cable TV!! Woo hoo!  Got the Home Box Office subscription too!  I think that was almost cables 'killer app' back then.  It was pay extra to get it, but so worth bypassing commercials and going out to the movies. Not unlike home theaters and Blu-ray movies of today. :)

the best thing was skinamax. nothing like full frontal nudity from the comfort of your own couch 

the best thing was skinamax. nothing like full frontal nudity from the comfort of your own couch 

My parents had two teenage boys, and an adolescent girl.  In no way were they going to pony up for Cinemax!  LOL  They had to lock up the liquor and hide the indecent mags as it was....  ;)

Hey blame Bogie. He is the one who put the Moon/Favre hybrid thing in my head early this season and it stuck with me. I started to see it more too when I watched old film on Favre/Moon. And yes I was a fan of Favre too, before Rodgers there was Brett who I was a big fan of. I think people get so romanced by Rodgers (and I don't blame them) that they forgot how awesome Favre really WAS. I do think Favre is a touchy topic though at times with many due to his later years and his issues parting with GB. You either seem to hate or love him now.

I am not saying Luck is EXACTLY like Favre, or Moon or anyone. He just has a few aspects of his game or intangibles that make sense with comparisons. But, it depends on the individual and what they see too.

Hey in 2009 Favre still was rocking the league. He could have been MVP that season for making the Vikings a real SB contender. Yeah he ended the game on a bad pick vs. the Saints. A few weeks later Peyton did the same. So what. Favre gets dragged through the mud it seems for every single mistake he made while others didn't or don't. I don't always get it but maybe it's the likability factor with some that goes a long ways. There were some Packers games too where it was all on Brett's shoulders too and the run game was shaky/playcalling and people would still blame just him for the loss.

And yes like you I hope Luck's Colts can win more then 1 title. Thats why I hope he proves he has some "Montana coolness" in the coming years in the playoffs. ;) Montana is still the GOAT to me, I don't care what anyone says.....

Like I said, sometimes people forgot how amazing some of these past greats were. I would take many of them over any of todays  and thats JMO. They plays in an era too without all the pass friendly rules. The fact that Luck reminds me and a few old school football fans I know of some past greats is really a huge huge compliment I feel.

Point taken Jules. Take a little from column a & a little from column b. Like blending a tasty beverage I get it. Yeah, I can see Montana coolness in the pocket with Luck no question & it is unfair to compare previous running back dominate eras with pass happy NFL galore now. Good point Jules.  :thmup:

On sheer longevity in the NFL, Favre has accomplished a remarkable feat, but people like my friend Bogie can't ignore poor decision making either & I'm not talking about tipped or dropped balls either. We are perfectly fine Jules. No rifts whatsoever my friend.  :D  Let's just hope Luck inherits Montana's knack for coming through in the clutch.  :goodluck:  :colts:

Point taken Jules. Take a little from column a & a little from column b. Like blending a tasty beverage I get it. Yeah, I can see Montana coolness in the pocket with Luck no question & it is unfair to compare previous running back dominate eras with pass happy NFL galore now. Good point Jules.  :thmup:

On sheer longevity in the NFL, Favre has accomplished a remarkable feat, but people like my friend Bogie can't ignore poor decision making either & I'm not talking about tipped or dropped balls either. We are perfectly fine Jules. No rifts whatsoever my friend.  :D  Let's just hope Luck inherits Montana's knack for coming through in the clutch.  :goodluck:  :colts:

No I am not upset at all but I do think there are double standards at times when it comes to Manning/Brady and sometimes even Rodgers in regards to others.

Yes Favre got the beating of his life vs. the Saints and threw the pick. But, he gets dragged through the mud.

A few weeks later Peyton Manning ends the game in the Super Bowl on a must score drive to tie the game with a pick 6. But, people instead blame our team? Honestly I think Peyton and our offense sucked in that game vs. a porous pass D that lived and died off the turnover so they went away from the run game......right.

Look I know everyone adores Manning and rightfully so, but there is such hypocrisy here at times. Favre did as much for his teams quite often as Manning and Brady have done for theirs. But, Brady can stink it up in the title game vs. the Ravens and win and nobody cares.....he can stink it up at home vs. the Jets of all teams in 2010 following an MVP season and nobody cares......

Manning could put up under 20 points in a playoff game or throw a game ending pick and it's the teams fault too.

I just sometimes hate it. Yeah Favre used to get pick happy at times too but why does he get dragged through the mud and others don't for their mistakes?

And Rodgers does not get dragged through the mud for losing to the Giants in the playoffs while Favre gets massacred for losing in the freeze bowl in early 2008 to the Giants in OT.

I just think there are so many double standards at times when it comes to who the masses want to crown at QB.

JMO

My parents had two teenage boys, and an adolescent girl.  In no way were they going to pony up for Cinemax!  LOL  They had to lock up the liquor and hide the indecent mags as it was....   ;)

i hope you didn't miss phoebe cates emerging from the swimming pool. that's 10 seconds of movie history that changed my life forever

My parents had two teenage boys, and an adolescent girl. In no way were they going to pony up for Cinemax! LOL They had to lock up the liquor and hide the indecent mags as it was.... ;)

What's wrong with Life Magazine & the Sears & Roebuck man? Men need underwear & women need intimate apparel too right? haha Yes, I know Hugh Hefner publications are known for hard hitting...journalism right? :thmup: