Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck reminds me of ......

GrizzColt

A young Archie Manning.   Which is funny because the 2 families are friends.  Same height, both physically strong, big arms, very mobile, similar demeanor and both played behind the worst offensive lines in the history of NFL time. Archie took sacks the way Luck is taking them this year and never complained.  He was always running for his life and yet still able to make exciting throws.  Most people who saw Archie always said he would have been elite if he had ever had a good Oline.  He still put up good numbers just like Luck is doing this year.  Of course, we hope to correct our line issues but Peyton and Eli's Dad didn't get so lucky.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck does kind of remind me of Ben however no where near as a derp and a complainer. He's also much more athletic in my eyes, better faster & stronger. Colts just need to work on building a team and fixing the OL, we seen Ben behind a terrible line for years. We DON'T want to same thing to happen to Luck.

Ben has also only passed for 4k yards twice in his career, Luck did it as a rookie. Beef up the OL, Luck gets better and 5k is more than achievable.

That would be nice as well.

And it remains to be seen if in the playoffs over the years he will have that Joe Montana cool factor.....he seems to have it in the regular season so far as a rookie but the playoffs are a whole new beast.

When I think of Luck and compare, I usually go old school more for some reason, he gives me those vibes more.

Okay, I feel old. :) I get the distinct impression none of you were old enough to have watched Archie play. If you did, you wouldn't be saying Big Ben. Ben is as slow as Christmas. Archie and Andrew are or we're really fast and threw better on the run. Ben doesn't throw good off the run, he just shrugs guys off and then throws it.

Okay, I feel old. :) I get the distinct impression none of you were old enough to have watched Archie play. If you did, you wouldn't be saying Big Ben. Ben is as slow as Christmas. Archie and Andrew are or we're really fast and threw better on the run. Ben doesn't throw good off the run, he just shrugs guys off and then throws it.
I think with me the comparison comes soley from being big, strong able to break tackles and a similar scheme w Arians. However I think he will be much better than Ben. I do think he's much more athletic & smarter. Can't wait to see the improvments he and the organization make next year. In the end I don't want comparisons, I just want Luck to be Luck.

I have never see Archie play however.

Ben Roethlisberger, Both QB's tend to hang onto the ball a little to long to wait for a play to develop, both are mobile, big and strong (Ben is only an inch taller and 7 pounds heavier)

For some reason he never struck me as being the same size as Ben. i knew he was big, but not that big. 

I've always thought of him more as an Aaron Rodgers as well, though, I feel like he didn't run nearly as much towards the end of the season.

And it remains to be seen if in the playoffs over the years he will have that Joe Montana cool factor.....he seems to have it in the regular season so far as a rookie but the playoffs are a whole new beast.

When I think of Luck and compare, I usually go old school more for some reason, he gives me those vibes more.

would be nice if Andrew could cut his postseason teeth (so to speak) against the rookie and 2nd year QBs in the NFC, then the clutch factor would be more pronounced and glorious... Every QB in the AFC playoff brackets have been there before (with varying results).. I know QBs are not on the field at the same time, but you gotta think between Luck, Kapernick (sp), and maybe Ponder, Griffin, and Wilson... some of these guys are going to wilt under the bright lights of the big time...

The only Big Ben comparisons I see are the ability to break the grasp of would be tacklers and extend the play. Luck is jacked and fast. Big Ben rocks a gut like a 70s punter and is as slow as molasses in January. Luck reminds me of a lot of guys. A bit of Favre (can force throws at times), a bit of Steve Young (fast), and a bit of Montana (not easily rattled in pressure situations). Oh and his Dad bc he looks like him.

The only Big Ben comparisons I see are the ability to break the grasp of would be tacklers and extend the play. Luck is jacked and fast. Big Ben rocks a gut like a 70s punter and is as slow as molasses in January. Luck reminds me of a lot of guys. A bit of Favre (can force throws at times), a bit of Steve Young (fast), and a bit of Montana (not easily rattled in pressure situations). Oh and his Dad bc he looks like him.

lmao Too true.

For some reason he never struck me as being the same size as Ben. i knew he was big, but not that big. 

I've always thought of him more as an Aaron Rodgers as well, though, I feel like he didn't run nearly as much towards the end of the season.

Same here. He quit running unless it was absolutely necessary. I think he was instructed by Arian's to knock it off. Maybe it had something to do with the knee issue that always shows up on the Injury Report. I do know one thing, his play was better when he was scrambling more.

Archie was a good twenty pounds lighter than Andrew and at least an inch shorter

I think,  I hope the player Andrew grows (figure of speech) most into is Aaron Rodgers....   only bigger.

That's who I think he can be.   Especially with a better OL and if we tweak our system just a bit to get the ball out of Andrew's hands much sooner....

If we have a bigger, stronger Aaron Rodgers, I think that'd be pretty sweet for everyone...     :thmup:

Archie was a good twenty pounds lighter than Andrew and at least an inch shorter

You are right.  But he is closer than the others.  Big Ben is slow.  Aaron Rodgers is even shorter and lighter.  I had to go old school to find anyone even close who was also a good QB.