Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians on taking a HC job

John Waylon

I totally agree..  I listened to an interview with him a week or two ago and he sounded "excited" about the possibility.  

He is white hot, and I don't think there is any way BA comes back short of him getting the INDY job.   (if Pagano has a setback)

Arians will probably win COTY or co-COTY and some owner will want to make a splash.

And that sucks....   because he does not run a typical NFL O.     The O will have to learn a completely new O AGAIN if he bolts.     If he leaves I can see Clyde getting the gig.  I just hope some continuity is retained on O.

I hope Irsay dumps some cheese on ole Bruce and he stays....

I think the Chargers job could be his. Rivers has shown he can be a largely productive leader of his offense, and I think Arians would be a good pairing with him.

I also think he'd be successful in Buffalo, if they're smart enough to get rid of gailey. I think he could help Fitzpatrick, and I believe he could find a good DC to help that defense.

Philly is an intriguing idea, but I expect them to go with a younger, unexpected coach.

He'll get offers, no doubt. I bet Pittsburgh wishes they never would have 'retired' him. I know Ben does.

Thats debatable about Pitt, we dont know what went on behind the scenes. Also Pitt did not have a big drop off passing, Mendenhall has been hurt most of the season that has hurt the running game plus Decastro going down. Ben has been sacked only 28 times to

If he thinks Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, or Tyler Bray are franchise QB's like the 3 mentioned, it's possible KC might grab his attention.  I hope he stays for at least a couple more years but would be happy for him to get a HC job in situation he feels he could win in.

I don't think he'd want to mess with a rookie. I think he'd much rather have a guy experienced at playing the position in the NFL.

I don't think he'd want to mess with a rookie. I think he'd much rather have a guy experienced at playing the position in the NFL.

Really? After being Peyton's first QB coach, OC for Tim Couch/Kelly Holcomb, for a young Big Ben, and A. Luck's first OC, co-HV, he's not averse to working with young (sometimes only potentially) future stars, it would appear.

Not sure yet on my replacement choice... still deciphering it; and hoping it's not necessary.

I can't stand PFT...I actually defended FJC to a point. And my comment was deleted. They did this to me when Florio wrote his whole "atheists not welcome w/ the Colts" crap (after Arians used the "faith, family, football" line).

I don't agree that Arians' is the cause for Luck's perceived "regression", but I do think it, at times, has exposed to him to unnecessary hits. Part of that is the line, see the Steelers. When they had a rock solid line and running game they were winning 2 SBs and getting to a 3rd...when the line fell apart the offense didn't work, and Arians got the boot. I am glad we have him, but his offense isn't perfect. But he's a hell of a leader for sure. That's basically what I posted on PFT and it was removed. Florio is a weenie IMO, and gets butt-hurt when people actually have dissenting opinions that don't fit his agenda. And I think he has it out for the Colts, b/c nearly every article he posts has a subtle jab at us...

Really? After being Peyton's first QB coach, OC for Tim Couch/Kelly Holcomb, for a young Big Ben, and A. Luck's first OC, co-HV, he's not averse to working with young (sometimes only potentially) future stars, it would appear.

Not sure yet on my replacement choice... still deciphering it; and hoping it's not necessary.

I would have to concur. He seems to like to shape young QBs to fit his vision. Of course, he may be a victim of circumstance in all of those cases. I really don't remember his history that well pre-Rothlisberger.

Darrell Bavell

Jay Gruden

Tom Clements

Rick Dennison

Marty Mornhinweg

Greg Roman

Brent Pease(Boise State college o coordinator

All west coast offense coaches who have had success

I can't stand PFT...I actually defended FJC to point. And my comment was deleted. They did this to me when Florio wrote his whole "atheists not welcome w/ the Colts" crap (after Arians used the "faith, family, football line).

I don't agree that Arians' is the cause for Luck's perceived "regression", but I do think it, at times, has exposed to him to unnecessary hits. Part of that is the line, see the Steelers. When they had a rock solid line and running game they were winning 2 SBs and getting to a 3rd...when the line fell apart the offense didn't work, and Arians got the boot. I am glad we have him, but his offense isn't perfect. But he's a hell of a leader for sure. That's basically what I posted on PFT and it was removed. Florio is a weenie IMO, and gets butt-hurt when people actually have dissenting opinions that don't fit his agenda. And I think he has it out for the Colts, b/c nearly every article he posts has a subtle jab at us...

That is one reason I no longer post there... He leaves some comments in place that are overboard, littered with profanity and such, but then when you make a view that opposes his opinion it gets removed. 

So i simply stopped posting there.. If anything i'll send him a response via twitter which he can't delete/alter/edit/etc.  

He'll get offers, no doubt. I bet Pittsburgh wishes they never would have 'retired' him. I know Ben does.

Pittsburgh's offense is still performing around the same level it did last season. The defense has had lots of injuries and Ben is being a baby about the whole Arians/Haley transition. He's thrown Haley under the bus at every opportunity he gets. Makes you wonder if he's tanking a little to prove a point. Before he got hurt, Haley actually had him playing the best football of his career.

He was retired after last season. He was ready to be done. The only reason he took this job is because it came with the best prospect at QB in a generation. If he had gotten offers from all 30 other teams last off-season I doubt he would have taken many.

At his age, hitching his cart to a rookie QB who might not transition to this league could end disasterously.

That is one reason I no longer post there... He leaves some comments in place that are overboard, littered with profanity and such, but then when you make a view that opposes his opinion it gets removed. 

So i simply stopped posting there.. If anything i'll send him a response via twitter which he can't delete/alter/edit/etc.  

"fjc says:

Dec 26, 2012 3:40 PM

Him leaving would be the best thing to happen to Andrew Luck.

They could then bring in a coach with WCO ties and Luck could start progressing rather than regressing.

9 76"

That's not you? I figured it was.

Not sure this was a great answer for public consumption.....     Arians says....

“We’ll listen to see if it’s right for me and my family. I’m not just gonna run away to be a head coach, I’m not gonna do that,” Arians said. “I want to make sure they have a chance to win and see what the situation is, what city it is in. But definitely would listen, yes.”

Really?     You're 60 and you've never had a sniff of an offer and this is your dream and you're going to be picky and choosey?!?  Really?!?     If I'm an owner/GM and we interviewed you and then offered you the job,  you mean you might turn us down?    Really?      Guess what,  before we interview you, we'll ask you if our franchise and city will fit you and your family.   If so,  we'll bring you in for an interview,  otherwise....

I hope this quote doesn't hurt BA in the long run....

I hope Arians doesnt leave. He's shown that he pushes the right buttons on rookie QB's. I know Luck is a genius, but it would be nice to see Luck and all the rookies playing their 2nd year under the same offense and have it dialed in. I think we'll be very productive in year 2.

Then again, sometimes I hate the play calling and I think Norv Turner would be a great OC fit for us. I'm conflicted.

I really don't think anyone in Indy is dumb enough to promote Clyde to OC again.

"fjc says:

Dec 26, 2012 3:40 PM

Him leaving would be the best thing to happen to Andrew Luck.

They could then bring in a coach with WCO ties and Luck could start progressing rather than regressing.

9 76"

That's not you? I figured it was.

Nope.... I can agree with part of that statement though... I think Luck would be better in the WCO than he is in the Arians offense. 

I really didn't like Christensen as our OC. I'd really rather see Norv Turner in the event Arians goes.

I'm not really that excited about Norv Turner. He's been good in the past as a coordinator, but I want to believe we can find someone else who will be better able to adapt to his surroundings. Turner said in an interview the other day that the reason the Chargers have fallen off is because they've lost a lot of good players to free agency. That's true, but you're the head coach, and you can't adapt to losing players in free agency? He strikes me as a prisoner of circumstance.

The upside to Norv, however, is that he's probably DONE as a head coach, so he won't be making a jump anywhere. It would give Luck the opportunity to be comfortable in his offense for a good stretch of time. And his offense isn't that much different from Arians: lots of verticals and some of the same route combinations. He's a Coryell guy. But Norv's system has evolved into a hybrid offense: he uses his backs in the passing game a lot more (ala Mike Martz), has a lot of tight end features, and will purposely focus on high percentage passes when the quarterback is struggling. So if you're looking for some semblance of consistency for Luck, Norv would be a good fit.

I think we could do better, though.

Not sure this was a great answer for public consumption.....     Arians says....

“We’ll listen to see if it’s right for me and my family. I’m not just gonna run away to be a head coach, I’m not gonna do that,” Arians said. “I want to make sure they have a chance to win and see what the situation is, what city it is in. But definitely would listen, yes.”

Really?     You're 60 and you've never had a sniff of an offer and this is your dream and you're going to be picky and choosey?!?  Really?!?     If I'm an owner/GM and we interviewed you and then offered you the job,  you mean you might turn us down?    Really?      Guess what,  before we interview you, we'll ask you if our franchise and city will fit you and your family.   If so,  we'll bring you in for an interview,  otherwise....

What's wrong with BA's comment?

Why go to some messed up organization only to fall flat on your face and get fired in 3 years because of some lousy owner or fouled up front office? 

Sure....he can probably fleece a joker like Jerry Jones for 5 million a year, but after Jerry bulldozes his way....again...into football matters he's proven he really sucks at and then fires Arians over it....what would that do for Bruce in the long-term?

There's a reason...probably several good reasons....that guys like Tom Moore and Ernie Zampisi never took HC jobs despite being the "hot name" and being courted.

If anything....Arians' comment should remind (it won't) some of the more knuckle-headed NFL owners/GMs that maybe they need to look in the mirror instead of hiring a new head coach and then using him for a whipping-boy every 3 years.

Nope.... I can agree with part of that statement though... I think Luck would be better in the WCO than he is in the Arians offense. 

And notice the comment got like 75+ thumbs down, proving outsiders (those that don't follow the Colts on a daily basis) know nothing about our team. I don't agree with the entire statement, but we all know Arians's vertical offense has been PART of Luck's problems of late...emphasis on PART

I really really like Kyle shannahan? He makes the offense to rg3 and the offense strength. Rf3 goes out he plugs in the other guy and tweaks it a bit. Rg3 gets hurt he switches it up. I like how he adapts and switches it up to what's best for the team and who they're facing. BA is more stubborn in not doing so

I don't like Arians for the reasons that he doesn't want to let luck run the no huddle. He doesn't want it to be a staple of this offense and I think that's a mistake.

The other reason is because he has too many vertical routes. Our oline can't handle that. It shows me that he doesn't know the Xs and Os. At least it wouldn't appear that way sometimes.

I want him gone because of that reason. I can't say I would like christensen as our O coordinator. Someone else. Other than that Arians has done good.

The reasons I want him to stay are because he has done good with halftime adjustments. I think it's too early to tell what can happen with Arians if he remains here. We could become really exciting. Especially of we have a good oline.

Right now, I think I'd rather see him leave than stay.

Shout out to the D cordinator. Has done a good job with this transisioning D.

And notice the comment got like 75+ thumbs down, proving outsiders (those that don't follow the Colts on a daily basis) know nothing about our team. I don't agree with the entire statement, but we all know Arians's vertical offense has been PART of Luck's problems of late...emphasis on PART

The average day care class has a higher average IQ than the average group of posters at profootballtalk. I've seen well wishes to the Raiders coach who lost his child given a ton of "thumbs down", so I wouldn't put much emphasis on that. 

I agree that the vertical requirements is part of the problem. Luck isn't the QB that he will likely be in 5 years. He doesn't seem to be as assure of himself in the progressions as he did in college. Part of that is the process of learning a different scheme, part of that is the scheme itself and part of that is the offensive line that he is playing behind.   His presence will change with time on it's own. The OL can be addressed in the off-season and the scheme will either remain the same, be altered, or out the window all together. 

I think it is a way of him saying that staying in Indy is okay with him. 

I don't know his family situation, so I'm assuming it's just him and wife at this point since he's 60. I doubt he has children in the home to worry about, but who knows. I think it's just a way of saying that he's not going to go to just any team for the sake of being the head coach. I can see where you could see that it could come back to bite him, and how one could be offended by the pickiness that the comments suggest. 

If being a HC was his #1 goal, then I agree that his comments are a bit out there, but I'm not sure that is the case. 

I really really like Kyle shannahan? He makes the offense to rg3 and the offense strength. Rf3 goes out he plugs in the other guy and tweaks it a bit. Rg3 gets hurt he switches it up. I like how he adapts and switches it up to what's best for the team and who they're facing. BA is more stubborn in not doing so

He's done a good job this year. He couldn't get Mcnabb to put in much of an effort last year, and Grossman isn't much to work with for anyone. I doubt that he leaves Washington. If anything I could see his Papa stepping down and handing the keys to castle over to his won.  

The offensive scheme(even without the Baylor wrinkles) is sound.  

It only proves that the readers of PFT do not share the same opinion as the guy who wrote under the alias "FJC".

For me, I especially disagree with one sentiment of what was written: "..Luck could start progressing rather than regressing.".

I do not necessarily believe Luck is regressing, although it could appear that way. There are too many factors (especially psychological) to determine whether he's making strides forward or backwards. Unless you have a thorough understanding of the mind of Andrew Luck, you are in no position (yet) to say whether he's regressing or progressing. There simply isn't enough factual evidence. Just because the progression isn't obvious, does not mean it doesn't exist. We simply do not know, since no one here has the essential inside information. All we have is guesswork.

While I think FJC (the real one) might be right in most of his analysis on Bruce Arians and the (current, as in - what can we do to win right now) problems regarding Andrew Luck, long term I'm not sure this won't pan out. I have seen several cases during my time studying psychology, where individuals in a situation appeared to be at a stand-still, yet in time perfectly adapted to their situation and thrived. I have also seen several cases where the individial appeared to be at a stand-still during a long time frame, then had a major change and thrived due to the previous experiences. The most common denominator was the individuals in question often displayed above average human intelligence. I think it's safe to say Andrew Luck would fit that last paragraph.

If I was forced to vote, I'd probably have pressed the "downvote" as well, despite being on these boards daily.

There's of course the possibility that Arians' system will never work (look up older FJC posts regarding this for more information), and that Luck never will beat this system due to its flaws. That may very well be correct. It might not be. Maybe time will tell, maybe it won't. But to say Luck is regressing as a fact shows a lack of knowledge of human psychology.

Note: This isn't exactly intended for you, cmqww. I started writing something, then decided to write something different.

Darrell Bavell

Jay Gruden

Tom Clements

Rick Dennison

Marty Mornhinweg

Greg Roman

Brent Pease(Boise State college o coordinator

All west coast offense coaches who have had success

Are these your choices? Aside from Pease, I don't think any of those guys are willing to make the move. Lateral movement in the coaching ranks seldom happens.

It happens, Coordinators get released for different reasons

Getting released and signed elsewhere is not lateral movement. That's from the unemployment line to employment. Only Mornhinweg has a likelihood of getting fired, and he's actually a real possibility. Other than that, not a single guy on that list is part of an offense that would merit firing.

It happens, Coordinators get released for different reasons

Though, on further review, I do see a number of possibilities. I still doubt many of them move at all, but guys under offensive minded head coaches might look for a place to prove their meddle as a playcaller, so that could lure some of them. 

Nevertheless, it is still something I doubt.

B.A is gone after this year. I wish him the best, but he will get "recruited" like I'm sure he never has before. I don't see any logical reason, other than hitching his wagon to Andrew, that he would turn down a chance to be a head coach.