•  

Photo

is safety still a concern?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 coltsrule91

coltsrule91
  • 6995 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

with joe starting a couple games now what is the mindset now about the safety position? has joe done enough to be our starter of the future? should tom z get his job back? should we look at a safety in FA/draft

its not T.Y its T.watttttttttt WHAT DID T JUST DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 Captain Americolt

Captain Americolt
  • 2568 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Tom Z should not get his job back. Joe isn't a world beater by any means, but he's faster, has better coverage, and actually attacks the ball-carrier.

#3 Nostrils

Nostrils
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

I like Joe... I can't think of more than like 3-5 plays where he's been thrown on...  and I love that... nothing flashy coming from him, but we aren't hearin the announcers bringing him up for being picked on or anything, and he will pop someone.  I'd like to see them move forward with him as our starter.

#4 TKnight24

TKnight24
  • 9008 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Bethea? Good to go.

Lefeged? I'd prefer him strictly on ST cause he's a BEAST!

Ziib? I'd prefer him to be OFF this Team.

Look for us to Draft Matt Elam or Bacari Rambo in the Draft. We'll be looking for Bethea's Partner In Crime

Apple Juice keeps me sane, society doesn't

Apple Juice relaxes my mind, society doesn't

#5 Gavin

Gavin
  • 16292 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

SS is still a need but Lefeged should get the chance

#6 coltsrule91

coltsrule91
  • 6995 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Bethea? Good to go.

Lefeged? I'd prefer him strictly on ST cause he's a BEAST!

Ziib? I'd prefer him to be OFF this Team.

Look for us to Draft Matt Elam or Bacari Rambo in the Draft. We'll be looking for Bethea's Partner In Crime

didnt you like that guy from texas? i prefer eric reid myself

its not T.Y its T.watttttttttt WHAT DID T JUST DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 SupermanLuck12

SupermanLuck12
  • 2457 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Yeah Joe is solid against the run.. Not the best pass coverage guy.. I still think we need to address it.
"In Grigson We Trust!"

#8 jwilli69

jwilli69
  • 838 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

I believe it's a needed upgrade spot but Zibs did nothing on this team. If we had to choose between upgrade spots of SS and OLB , I would have to go OLB first since Joe hasn't been a large liability.
John Williams

#9 Superman

Superman
  • Forum Moderator
  • 13059 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Safety is still a position of need. I like Lefeged, but he's merely serviceable. We can upgrade. Zbikowski hasn't been very good (better than what we've had the past two seasons, but still).

LET'S HUNT

#10 TKnight24

TKnight24
  • 9008 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

didnt you like that guy from texas? i prefer eric reid myself

Kenny Vaccaro? Yes. But I doubt we take him or Eric. LSU & Texas players aren't common on this team. And they might be gone on our pick so who knows?

Apple Juice keeps me sane, society doesn't

Apple Juice relaxes my mind, society doesn't

#11 SteelCityColt

SteelCityColt
  • 3358 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

I'd say CB or O line is a bigger need, and as our draft position keeps on falling it might need to be addressed in FA rather than the draft.

I like what Joe has done over Zibbi so far, seems to "want" it more.

#12 cmgww

cmgww
  • 1301 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

I don't get Zibs...he was a beast at ND. Not the best coverage guy but he hit hard, and was a great punt returner. For a former Golden Gloves boxer, you would think he would be the same in the pros. But he hasn't been. I know this isn't college, but I don't remember him putting a big hit on any player before he got hurt. I understand his liabilities, but I don't get his lack of desire to lay the lumber...
In it to win it since 1992....COLTS fan first, Manning fan 2nd

#13 Gavin

Gavin
  • 16292 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I tend to think Zbikowski checked out because he was given the job when he was brought over, He was quoted  supposedly as saying he did that in Baltimore http://www.stampedeb...ge-in-baltimore

#14 NewColtsFan

NewColtsFan
  • 6634 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

First,  it's a great question you ask, 91... 

My thoughts eco Superman's....

Lefeged is an upgrade over Zbik...     but that's not saying much...

I still think it requires finding someone either in FA or in the Draft.

So, he helps us now...   but in the long run,  I think the problem still needs a better solution....

#15 jskinnz

jskinnz
  • 2519 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I tend to think Zbikowski checked out because he was given the job when he was brought over, He was quoted as saying he did that in Baltimore http://www.stampedeb...ge-in-baltimore

He gives effort but he is just not very good.

#16 lollygagger8

lollygagger8
  • 3456 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Lefeged is way better than Zibs. Zibs should go back to boxing. I do think we should draft somebody or get someone through FA.

#17 hoosierhawk

hoosierhawk
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Must have watched a different game Sunday than anyone here. Joe looked like he was running with 20# weights around is ankles. Not saying Zibby would have done any better but I disagree that Joe is an upgrade. He looked terrible against the run Sunday.

#18 Malakai432

Malakai432
  • 6335 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

I definitely agree it's a position they still need to work on.  Hopefully there is a good FA SS that might fit the system or perhaps a hidden gem in the draft that Grigson might find. 

Vontae Davis is what happens when an unstoppable force meets and immovable object, then they have a kid! 

Dancing Monkey BAM!  :monkeydance: 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The Bandit strikes again~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#19 NewEra

NewEra
  • 3718 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

Would love to bring in a Landry type ss!
Colts fan for 20+ years. Was Colts4Lyfe on forums years and 5 or so different sites ago. Been lurking around ever since. Desided to rejoin to bond with my fellow fans in our time of need. Really excited at what lies ahead!!

#20 GoColts8818

GoColts8818
  • 12892 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:25 AM

It's a concern but it's not the biggest one of the roster.  Frankly if we fix some of our other concerns I don't think we would notice the safety play as much.  Zibs is just kinda an enh player.  He's not great but if you put good players around him he can get the job done more times than not. 

Thank You Peyton! I look forward to the day you come home and we get to do this good bye thing right!

#21 GoColts8818

GoColts8818
  • 12892 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

He gives effort but he is just not very good.

The problem is you could say the same about Lefeged (taking special teams out of the equation where he has earned his spot on this roster).  The only difference is that the message board likes one and doesn't like the other. 

Thank You Peyton! I look forward to the day you come home and we get to do this good bye thing right!

#22 Gavin

Gavin
  • 16292 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

Actually looking at what he did at ND in 4 years, we are getting what we paid for, he is nothing special, serviceable but not the answer going forward, Punt Returner and backup at best

#23 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 11316 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Safety is still a concern

Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

#24 hoosierhawk

hoosierhawk
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

As 8818 said it is a concern but not our biggest. OL in my opinion is the biggest followed by CB,DL and OLB to rush the passer. It would also be nice to have a #2 WR who can catch the ball. Avery 's hands are suspect. It would be nice to pick up a safety in the 6th who can come in and immediately make a difference like Bethea did.

#25 oldunclemark

oldunclemark
  • 12934 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

with joe starting a couple games now what is the mindset now about the safety position? has joe done enough to be our starter of the future? should tom z get his job back? should we look at a safety in FA/draft

PT is right....we dont have the caliber safety we need going forward...we have decent players but just average guys

#26 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6584 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

I can see other positions having a much bigger need to upgrade. I don't see the need for a world beater at SS either. Every team has a few positions that are not extremely productive, not much of a liability either, and not expensive. I wouldn't mind the Colts not focusing on SS and spending the money on other positions. On defense, SS is 1 of the last positions I'd want to upgrade.. We will need at least 1 OLB for the future, maybe 2. Redding is getting older at DE. DT is still a huge ???. We have depth issues at CB. On top of that we need to upgrade most of the Oline.

#27 Superman

Superman
  • Forum Moderator
  • 13059 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I can see other positions having a much bigger need to upgrade. I don't see the need for a world beater at SS either. Every team has a few positions that are not extremely productive, not much of a liability either, and not expensive. I wouldn't mind the Colts not focusing on SS and spending the money on other positions. On defense, SS is 1 of the last positions I'd want to upgrade.. We will need at least 1 OLB for the future, maybe 2. Redding is getting older at DE. DT is still a huge ???. We have depth issues at CB. On top of that we need to upgrade most of the Oline.

It's not a high profile position, but we've had several big plays allowed by poor safety play this season. And if you think back to the days of Bob Sanders, limited as they were, you'll remember how important a playmaker can be back there. I think we could get a rangy free safety and let Bethea play strong safety, and be better on the back end.

No question we have other defensive needs, but I don't think we should keep ignoring the safety situation. We've been subpar for three years now. The two years before that, we were average with Melvin Bullitt.

LET'S HUNT

COLTS TICKETS!

Join the Season Ticket Wait List!

Game Rewind: Indianapolis Colts

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      16 Apr
    ColtsBTM12

I saw in the Colts mailbag that Nicks will wear number 14. That's weird. I wish they would have just given him 88. Marvin was great, but you don't have to retire everyone's number that's ever been good on your team.

Show comments (1)
View All Updates