Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New England Will Dump Week 17

dw49

They just received a huge bresak getting flexed to 4:25. Unless Indy beats Houston in the early game , they will dump their game vs Miami. 

1) Cinn will probably rest starters as they hope Balt leap frogs NE and this way they go back to Balt rather than travel to NE.

2) Wins by Houston Balt Denver and Miami would give NE a home game vs the Colts and then travel to Houston. Much better than pLaying Cinn and then Denver.

Not the smartest move by CBS (unless we beat Houston) as they shoulf have flexed our game or the Denver game. If we beat Houston a NE win would give them the 2 seed .

The Patriots did something similar in 2005. They played their JVs in week 17 so they'd have the Jags in the first round instead of Pittsburgh. It wouldn't surprise me if you turn out to be right, but I don't think they're trying to avoid the Broncos so much... they've done well against Denver.

If Indy beats Houston they will go all-out for the bye, of course, like you said. Getting the bye trumps all other match-up issues. 

The Patriots did something similar in 2005. They played their JVs in week 17 so they'd have the Jags in the first round instead of Pittsburgh. It wouldn't surprise me if you turn out to be right, but I don't think they're trying to avoid the Broncos so much... they've done well against Denver.

If Indy beats Houston they will go all-out for the bye, of course, like you said. Getting the bye trumps all other match-up issues. 

As I remember Denver has a pretty good history vs the Pats but you are probably right. However Houston appears to be floundering a bit while Denver is playing probably the best football of any team right now. Pretty much a no brainer that NE will not go crazy tring t beat Miami if it means playing Cinn and Denver rather the INd - HTN. They also have the perfect out as they have been hurt recently with injuries. Probably they win the SB last year with a healthy Gronk.

I never paid attention to that. Hmmm....I always thought Belichick played the last game of the week hard all the time.

But then, if the Texans stay pat at #1, could the Bengals become the Pittsburgh of 2005? Beating an AFC North team as a #6 seed on the road, and then beating an AFC South team that is a #1 seed, it could be Pats going to Denver in a #2 vs #4 matchup anyway. :)

As I remember Denver has a pretty good history vs the Pats but you are probably right. However Houston appears to be floundering a bit while Denver is playing probably the best football of any team right now. Pretty much a no brainer that NE will not go crazy tring t beat Miami if it means playing Cinn and Denver rather the INd - HTN. They also have the perfect out as they have been hurt recently with injuries. Probably they win the SB last year with a healthy Gronk.

Historically Denver has given them trouble, just not recently. The Patriots have won the last three (all played since December 2011) in fairly convincing fashion, and Brady has had his way with Fox's defense. For whatever reason the Broncos don't match up as well, defensively, with the Patriots these days.

I never paid attention to that. Hmmm....I always thought Belichick played the last game of the week hard all the time.

But then, if the Texans stay pat at #1, could the Bengals become the Pittsburgh of 2005? Beating an AFC North team as a #6 seed on the road, and then beating an AFC South team that is a #1 seed, it could be Pats going to Denver in a #2 vs #4 matchup anyway. :)

Belichick usually does have them play through to the end, but there's just that one example of where they clearly played it out to get the more favorable matchup. Almost worked, too! LOL...

The seedings that year in the AFC were:

1. Indy

2. Denver

3. Cincy

4. NE

5. Jags

6. Steelers

The Patriots slid into the 4th spot by losing a game to Miami in Week 17. They then manhandled the Jags before falling in Denver. Pittsburgh beat Indy in the divisional round. I remember thinking, wow... if they had pulled that game out they'd be hosting the Steelers for the AFCCG. And in those days, the Patriots had Pittsburgh's number.

Historically Denver has given them trouble, just not recently. The Patriots have won the last three (all played since December 2011) in fairly convincing fashion, and Brady has had his way with Fox's defense. For whatever reason the Broncos don't match up as well, defensively, with the Patriots these days.

Belichick usually does have them play through to the end, but there's just that one example of where they clearly played it out to get the more favorable matchup. Almost worked, too! LOL...

1. Indy

2. Denver

3. Cincy

4. NE

5. Jags

6. Steelers

The Patriots slid into the 4th spot by losing a game to Miami in Week 17. They then manhandled the Jags before falling in Denver. Pittsburgh beat Indy in the divisional round. I remember thinking, wow... if they had pulled that game out they'd be hosting the Steelers for the AFCCG. And in those days, the Patriots had Pittsburgh's number.

true enough

No question about that

BB doesn't dump games nor does he make decisions on who to rest up until game time.

1st seed locked up 16th game playing SF. defense wasn't playing well. BB kept them in the whole game because of it.

Predicting BB is useless. Just remember he's an "in the minute" kind of guy.  And situational.

BB doesn't dump games nor does he make decisions on who to rest up until game time.

1st seed locked up 16th game playing SF. defense wasn't playing well. BB kept them in the whole game because of it.

Predicting BB is useless. Just remember he's an "in the minute" kind of guy. And situational.

Troy Brown and Ty Law disagree with you.

They both said last week that BB deliberately went out to lose that last game in '05.

I don't think the OP realized when he posted this that the Denver game is also 4:25. Also the Bengals are apparently not resting starters as of now according to their HC since it never worked well in the past for them. I don't know about Baltimore since they have been so banged up.

With that being said, I did read that Brady ranted and raved and was FURIOUS after the Jags game? I am not sure this sounds like a guy who would want to dump a game. The Pats have been a bit shaky the last few weeks for their standards.....

I don't think the OP realized when he posted this that the Denver game is also 4:25. Also the Bengals are apparently not resting starters as of now according to their HC since it never worked well in the past for them. I don't know about Baltimore since they have been so banged up.

With that being said, I did read that Brady ranted and raved and was FURIOUS after the Jags game? I am not sure this sounds like a guy who would want to dump a game. The Pats have been a bit shaky the last few weeks for their standards.....

You  are correct young lady. I thought Denevr was at KC at 1PM. So it does make it more difficult for the Pats to throw this down the toilet like they did in 2005. Although I don't agree with your assertion that Brady would have any say in who played and for how long in week 17. I would bet that the starters always would want to play.

You  are correct young lady. I thought Denevr was at KC at 1PM. So it does make it more difficult for the Pats to throw this down the toilet like they did in 2005. Although I don't agree with your assertion that Brady would have any say in who played and for how long in week 17. I would bet that the starters always would want to play.

True, but in 2005 I think (if I remember correctly) I think Cincy also tried to avoid playing Pittsburgh?

I think people were just more scared of that Steelers team TBH. I mean, they were 15-1 the year before and in the title game and a strong veteran squad who was hardly just a run of the mill WC team IMO. They were gaining momentum at the right time. Of course I also thought we would beat them but thats a whole different sob story......sigh.

Also the 2005 Pats were never that great to me.....I recall that being a banged up squad for them if I remember correctly. It was the year we pretty much creamed them in Foxboro too.

I think if you play scared of certain teams you might be doomed. I swear the Colts might have altered the playoff seedings in 2009 too on purpose. I can't prove it but I would not be shocked if we did. Not the players though.....

Just play to win the game! Period. I hate all this resting stuff.

1. Indy

2. Denver

3. Cincy

4. NE

5. Jags

6. Steelers

And I remember thinking : "wow if we would have won that game, we would have been hosting Denver in the AFCCG.... and in those days the Colts definitely had Denvers number!

And I remember thinking : "wow if we would have won that game, we would have been hosting Denver in the AFCCG.... and in those days the Colts definitely had Denvers number!

Yeah, I remember that! It was this little weird triangle of teams back in those days.

Denver usually beat NE.

NE usually beat Indy.

Indy usually beat Denver.

And so on and so forth...

Flexing Pats-Dolphins to 4:20 pm Sunday comes with a huge benefit to NE. They may not know the Denver outcome but they should know the Houston-Indy outcome by kickoff. The Pats' best bet for a bye is sliding into the two spot. Can't see Denver losing to KC, unless the Chiefs try to send Crennel and Pioli off with a bang!