Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Falcons really that bad/overrated etc.?

Jules

I am looking for various opinions on this team.

I don't think I watch enough of the Falcons so I would love some opinions.

I hear them counted out by so many, as if they automatically cannot make a playoff run before the playoffs even start. They might be the most trashed first seed in the NFC I have seen in some time.

So, I am confused on the Falcons.

I've never been sold on the Falcons.  I never thought they were as good as their record showed them to be.  They don't seem like a very complete team and I'm not convinced that their defense can keep them in games.  Their running game also isn't all that spectacular.  They remind me of the Colts of old.  Roddy and Julio are Marvin and Reggie.  Matty Ice is Peyton.  Turner is Edge (though Turner is starting to decline).  They have a good offense, but their defense isn't all that great even though they have some talent.

I've never been sold on the Falcons.  I never thought they were as good as their record showed them to be.  They don't seem like a very complete team and I'm not convinced that their defense can keep them in games.  Their running game also isn't all that spectacular.  They remind me of the Colts of old.  Roddy and Julio are Marvin and Reggie.  Matty Ice is Peyton.  Turner is Edge (though Turner is starting to decline).  They have a good offense, but their defense isn't all that great even though they have some talent.

Yep, I hear this a lot too. Like you I am not sure I am sold on them either. But, I do think they might be able to get a playoff win, depending on who they draw first.

I am not sure I see them getting to the SB though this season. I really doubt it actually right now.

Yep, I hear this a lot too. Like you I am not sure I am sold on them either. But, I do think they might be able to get a playoff win, depending on who they draw first.

I am not sure I see them getting to the SB though this season. I really doubt it actually right now.

My Super Bowl prediction from the start of the year was Texans and 49ers with my darkhorse in each division being the Falcons and Broncos.  Their defense is ranked 22nd overall, 23rd in pass defense, and 20th in run defense.  They are 25th in the league in terms of sacks .  Their rush offense is 28th in the league.  As we know, time of possession is very important in the playoffs.  If your defense can't stop the run and your offense can't run the ball, that's not the formula for success.

I hate to say that they won't go far because this is possibly Tony Gonzalez' last season and I really want him to get a ring before he retires.

My Super Bowl prediction from the start of the year was Texans and 49ers with my darkhorse in each division being the Falcons and Broncos.  Their defense is ranked 22nd overall, 23rd in pass defense, and 20th in run defense.  They are 25th in the league in terms of sacks .  Their rush offense is 28th in the league.  As we know, time of possession is very important in the playoffs.  If your defense can't stop the run and your offense can't run the ball, that's not the formula for success.

I hate to say that they won't go far because this is possibly Tony Gonzalez' last season and I really want him to get a ring before he retires.

Hey they really do sound like the old Colts then.:)

Thanks for the info/stats. I am not too high on them either. But, I won't be stunned if they win one playoff game.

But, man I would hate to draw Seattle if I were them! I think they could beat the NFC East teams though or the Vikings.

Hey they really do sound like the old Colts then. :)

Thanks for the info/stats. I am not too high on them either. But, I won't be stunned if they win one playoff game.

But, man I would hate to draw Seattle if I were them! I think they could beat the NFC East teams though or the Vikings.

Seattle is scary at home.  On the road, they aren't as intimidating, but they are beastly at home.  What is your SB prediction?

I dont think the Falcons are overrated. Their D is what gives them a better chance this year than years past.

Matt Ryan and that offense can be contained but then their D keeping them in games will give Matty ice a better chance this year than years past in the playoffs.

honestly i think the falcons make it to the sb. Their secondary is very underrated, they dont give up many points, and they have a great receiving corps. They know how to win close games and ryan is the most clutch of the other nfc playoff qbs (besides eli)

Agreed.

I tabbed them in the SB before the year (with the Ravens...lol). Ryan looks like he's taking the next step and that defense is really underrated.

Im kind of rooting for them (not because i picked them). Id like to see them break through kind of like the Colts of old did in 2006.

Broncos vs. Falcons would be a cool SB (although Colts vs. Redskins would be really wild).

Seattle is scary at home.  On the road, they aren't as intimidating, but they are beastly at home.  What is your SB prediction?

Not sure since it changes so much. Lately I am really high on GB again. Especially if they get the second seed and can get healthy for the playoffs. I think they have been slightly under the radar a lot too.

In the AFC I think anyone not called the Pats or Broncos seems like a long shot right now. But, who knows what happens.....

I am looking for various opinions on this team.

I don't think I watch enough of the Falcons so I would love some opinions.

I hear them counted out by so many, as if they automatically cannot make a playoff run before the playoffs even start. They might be the most trashed first seed in the NFC I have seen in some time.

So, I am confused on the Falcons.

Excellent question Jules! Falcons must win a Playoff Game 1st. The regular season is pointless to me. Even shutting out the SB Champions Giants is uninspiring to me. Beat Seattle head on then I will start respecting Atlanta not before then. Not 1 inch IMO. 

I don't know 21isSuperman Seattle is beginning to win anywhere now. Part of me wants to see Seattle vs NE in the SB this year. Pete Caroll's defense is full of fast, smart, & hard nosed guys who excel at wrapping up, tackling, & dislodging the ball. 

Overrated Overrated Overrated

Here's how you know.

They have the #1 easiest schedule in the league. Despite that, their defense is still ranked 20th, and they get gashed to pieces by the passing game.

They can't run the ball and they are playing teams that they should be running it all over.

Matt Ryan is getting knocked around easily in every game. Wait till the Seahawks or Niners play them, he's really going to be taking pressure.

For the easiest schedule in the league, they shouldn't have struggled so hard against cup cakes like Arizona, Oakland, and the Lions still gave them a hard time.

One and done, as usual. This Falcons team is no different than the 2010 one. They went 13-3 on a very weak schedule, and then got blown out very bad in the first round. Matty Ice is a joke too. You know it kills me, that Roddy White pushes off EVERY play and no flags. They hold almost every run play, no flags. I have never in my life seen a team get away with that than I have this Falcons team, least penalized team in the league and if you watch them play, Roddy White pushes off a lot.

After tonight, I am 100% confident that both SF and SEA would blow them out. But my money is on the Packers, if Rodgers goes there, he's going to light that crappy secondary up. I'm talking a 40 point blow out repeat of the 2010 playoffs.

I wasn't sold on the Falcons, but their last 2 performances has me believing in them. 

I don't think they'll go to the SB, but I think they can make some noise. A shutout of the Giants and a easy victory over the Lions should have a lot of doubters believing in the bird. 

I don't know 21isSuperman Seattle is beginning to win anywhere now. Part of me wants to see Seattle vs NE in the SB this year. Pete Caroll's defense is full of fast, smart, & hard nosed guys who excel at wrapping up, tackling, & dislodging the ball. 

They have 2 road wins all season.  They beat Chicago a few weeks ago and Buffalo last week.  With that said, you might be right because they have won their last 2 road games, so perhaps they are learning to win on the road

They wont last in the playoff race.  Im going with Green Bay in the NFC