Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prediction that we're flexed next week...

haughvillian

This is complete and utter crap IMO if they do not move us to 4:25 as well. They are giving NE (if they want to know) the option to see where they stand during their game vs. Miami. Sure Denver is playing KC at the same time but the chances seem much slimmer there for an upset.

It's not a lock. If NE loses and Baltimore wins then NE is #4.

IMO we have to play to win at 1 pm if we want to stay with the Colts/Ravens set up. Of course the Ravens may lose to Cincy too but we can't plan on this either.

I am not too happy about that either. But then, Belichick always goes for the best seeding and has not been known to tank games to get a favorable matchup in the playoffs, IMO. If NE does go #4 and Texans stay #1, that could potentially mean NE gets to play 2 AFC South teams consecutively in the playoffs???

IMO the league wants Manning and Brady to both have bye weeks if possible. They would rather have Manning or Brady in the SB over Schaub.

Just how I feel.

Of course we are fighting the NFC East hype but it seems like a waste of time with both the Giants/Cowboys choking today.

That's a little crazy...isnt it? The NFL wouldnt want RG3 and Andrew Luck in the Super Bowl.???

This is complete and utter crap IMO if they do not move us to 4:25 as well. They are giving NE (if they want to know) the option to see where they stand during their game vs. Miami. Sure Denver is playing KC at the same time but the chances seem much slimmer there for an upset.

It's not a lock. If NE loses and Baltimore wins then NE is #4.

IMO we have to play to win at 1 pm if we want to stay with the Colts/Ravens set up. Of course the Ravens may lose to Cincy too but we can't plan on this either.

Why is it "utter crap". What does NE gain by tanking? What do the Colts gain by moving to the late slot?

The Broncos and Pats are fighting for the number two seed. If the Texans lose they will be fighting for the number one seed, which only serves to makes both games more interesting. The league probably thought that this scenario might make for more interest at both time slots.

The Colts in fact might be better off losing this game if they think that they can handle the Texans "at some point". Aren't the Colts going to play at the Ravens regardless? If so then their second game - if there is one - would very likely be against the first seed. Giving their all to beat the Texans just earns them a date with the Broncos or Pats in the second game. That hardly seems like an improvement at this point.

Why is it "utter crap". What does NE gain by tanking? What do the Colts gain by moving to the late slot?

The Broncos and Pats are fighting for the number two seed. If the Texans lose they will be fighting for the number one seed, which only serves to makes both games more interesting. The league probably thought that this scenario might make for more interest at both time slots.

The Colts in fact might be better off losing this game if they think that they can handle the Texans "at some point". Aren't the Colts going to play at the Ravens regardless? If so then their second game - if there is one - would very likely be against the first seed. Giving their all to beat the Texans just earns them a date with the Broncos or Pats in the second game. That hardly seems like an improvement at this point.

You are joking ...right ? If Houston wins , NE by losing gets the Colts rather than the Bengles. That's one... They also would travel to Houston rather than Denver the following week. Does that answer your question ? Also you are wrong as to the Colts playing the Ravens "regardles."

I am not too happy about that either. But then, Belichick always goes for the best seeding and has not been known to tank games to get a favorable matchup in the playoffs, IMO. If NE does go #4 and Texans stay #1, that could potentially mean NE gets to play 2 AFC South teams consecutively in the playoffs???

Chad this is not true . The Pats and Belichik tanked one a while back for a more favorable match up in the playoffs. I believe it was vs Maimi in 2005. By dropping a spot they played Jacksonville rather than Pittsburgh.  Brady played a series or two and Cassel finsished the game.

Play to Win.   Period.    If you're good enough, and your team is good enough,  you don't worry about WHO you might match up with.    You just always play to Win,  Period.

That is not a thought that is always shared by NFL teams. They often rest starters to avoid injuries and every now and then they do it to drop a spot in the seedings. The first is much more common place than the second but NE did it in 2005 and they have the same coach so why not ?

That is not a thought that is always shared by NFL teams. They often rest starters to avoid injuries and every now and then they do it to drop a spot in the seedings. The first is much more common place than the second but NE did it in 2005 and they have the same coach so why not ?

Injuries are one thing,  I'll give ya that.   But to throw a game on purpose,  to get to a different opponent,  well   they deserve for that theory to come back and bite them in the you-know-what  in my opinion.

You are joking ...right ? If Houston wins , NE by losing gets the Colts rather than the Bengles. That's one... They also would travel to Houston rather than Denver the following week. Does that answer your question ? Also you are wrong as to the Colts playing the Ravens "regardles."

I didn't realize that NE could still slide to the fourth spot, but the idea that they aren't going to try to gain the bye is just ridiculous. They would have one less playoff game and then the opportunity to likely host the Broncos rather than traveling there. That's HUGE. In your "preferred" scenario they would be CHOOSING to travel to Houston, and THEN to travel to Denver IF they win.

There is a reason that the league put the Broncos and Patriots in the same time slot. Do you think that they are just going to lay down and assume the Broncos will win? What if they don't? Or should they watch the scoreboard and stop playing if the Broncos have a big enough lead? How would that work exactly? If they are playing to win they might have such a large lead that they can't lose without - I don't know - intentionally fumbling or something. And it they are NOT playing to win they may not be able to turn it on if they need to. And what they heck makes you think that they are scared of the Bengals? No I'm not joking, but your entire line of thinking is ridiculous.The Patriots will play to win. 

Play to Win.   Period.    If you're good enough, and your team is good enough,  you don't worry about WHO you might match up with.    You just always play to Win,  Period.

I agree with both of you. I prefer to keep the foot on the gas, and whatever happens happens, but we have witnessed teams take various approaches over the years. New England played the Giants full tilt int 2007, but even in 2005 when they pulled Brady after 8 passes vs. Miami, Cassell was a failed 2 point conversion away from forcing OT late in the 4th quarter so even then they played to win with their subs, and almost were able to. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200601010nwe.htm

To me New England is with  Indy/Hou is a better situation than Cincy/Den. New England has shown that they can beat any of the 4, but Brady indoors in Houston is a better situation than facing Denver outdoors, just like Manning indoors vs. Houston, is better than facing the Patriots in New England and quite possibly even in Denver..  

It will be an interesting weekend, and with the Division Championship on the line, there is no question that the Sunday night game should Washington/Dallas.

I didn't realize that NE could still slide to the fourth spot, but the idea that they aren't going to try to gain the bye is just ridiculous. They would have one less playoff game and then the opportunity to likely host the Broncos rather than traveling there. That's HUGE. In your "preferred" scenario they would be CHOOSING to travel to Houston, and THEN to travel to Denver IF they win.

There is a reason that the league put the Broncos and Patriots in the same time slot. Do you think that they are just going to lay down and assume the Broncos will win? What if they don't? Or should they watch the scoreboard and stop playing if the Broncos have a big enough lead? How would that work exactly? If they are playing to win they might have such a large lead that they can't lose without - I don't know - intentionally fumbling or something. And it they are NOT playing to win they may not be able to turn it on if they need to. And what they heck makes you think that they are scared of the Bengals? No I'm not joking, but your entire line of thinking is ridiculous.The Patriots will play to win. 

Correct. The overriding element for the Pats is they still have a chance at getting a bye. There is no way they don't play to win.

You all are right, there is that shot that Denver loses. Slim but who knows, look at how tough the Jags made it for the Pats and how tough the Chiefs already played Denver this season.

But, still I am not a big fan of the time set up.

I do think though that despite what the Pats did in 2005, they saw a year later too how important having the higher seed was when they at #4 went to Indy for the AFC title game who was #3.

Besides, I don't even know what they do in Cincy this weekend. Both them and Baltimore are pretty much locked. Baltimore has a shot to move up to #3 if NE loses, but at the same time Baltimore might be happy with #4, want to rest some injured guys (they have a lot) and also avoid playing a division rival in back to back weeks.

NE also has been a bit shaky the last 2 weeks. I think Bill B. will want to sharpen up his team.

I never said that they would not play for the bye if given the opprotunity. I made a post in another thread that of coarse that would be the first priority. That goes without saying. When I made the original post , I thought Denver was at KC at 1PM. That would make it a no brainer for the Pats if they wanted to set up fpr IND - Houston  rather than Cinn - Denever. No one said they were "scared" (is that a word , because I don't think I said that) of Cinn . so stop adding silly twists to what I said. Also if Houston wins and Dever goes out to an early lead , I believe that it's posible that B.B might pull his starters . Why not ? If he only has injuries and the bad matchup to gain by winning , what's so ridiculous about doing what most of the teams do in meaningless games and that's pull the starters ? Granted it would have to be a sizable lead and it would have to come before NE had any knid of a lead on Miami. But as you say , they play at the same time , so that does cut the odds down drastically.

You all are right, there is that shot that Denver loses. Slim but who knows, look at how tough the Jags made it for the Pats and how tough the Chiefs already played Denver this season.

I do think though that despite what the Pats did in 2005, they saw a year later too how important having the higher seed was when they at #4 went to Indy for the AFC title game who was #3.

Besides, I don't even know what they do in Cincy this weekend. Both them and Baltimore are pretty much locked. Baltimore has a shot to move up to #3 if NE loses, but at the same time Baltimore might be happy with #4, want to rest some injured guys (they have a lot) and also avoid playing a division rival in back to back weeks.

NE also has been a bit shaky the last 2 weeks. I think Bill B. will want to sharpen up his team.

I would be amazed if Cinn wanted to win this game. They are locked into the 6 seed and if they win , they would have a chance of Balt moving into the 3 spot and NE moving down to 4. Balt on the other hand might rather play Indy , who is locked into the 5 seed rather than having a rematch with the Bengles. So maybe Balt would want to win this game a little more than Cinn would ?  It would also set Balt to go to Houston in the 2nd round if they beat the Colts and Cinn lost to the Pats. But who knows what any of these teams will decide to do.

Here's the first thing I've seen on all of this . From Roto News....

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis told reporters Monday that he will not rest his starters in Week 17 against the Ravens.

The Bengals have clinched a playoff spot and know they'll be playing a division winner in the first round of the postseason. So they theoretically have little to gain from playing first-stringers. Lewis, however, tried resting starters twice before -- in 2005 and 2009 -- and his team was bounced in the first round both times. "How'd that turn out for us," Lewis asked rhetorically. "I think it's important for our team to play well. We are going to play to win the football game."
Source: CBS Sports
Dec 24 - 4:28 PM

Here's the first thing I've seen on all of this . From Roto News....

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis told reporters Monday that he will not rest his starters in Week 17 against the Ravens.

The Bengals have clinched a playoff spot and know they'll be playing a division winner in the first round of the postseason. So they theoretically have little to gain from playing first-stringers. Lewis, however, tried resting starters twice before -- in 2005 and 2009 -- and his team was bounced in the first round both times. "How'd that turn out for us," Lewis asked rhetorically. "I think it's important for our team to play well. We are going to play to win the football game."
Source: CBS Sports
Dec 24 - 4:28 PM

I saw Bengals fans say the same, resting has never worked for them in the past and they feel their offense needs more work. The game is in Cincy too, they might want to keep selling tickets as well since I think they have struggled there recently at times.

Also would give their young team confidence heading into the playoffs to beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore who they lost to 4 times last year.

Not sure about Baltimore but they have been so banged up it's tough to call.

Going to NE will be tough for them (if we lose to Houston) but I will sure be pulling for the Bengals. Go AFC wild cards!!! :)

I "think" Indy is locked into the #5 slot so ....  resting players does not bother me at all.

The D is in shambles right now.    If our D cannot get healthy then we are short for this tourney.

What a great year....   and welcome back coach P.   

Go Colts.