Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"Vintage" Vontae Davis!

Dark Superman

Guy has. Impressed the heck out of me when he's been healthy. He has good speed and cover skills.. Could tackle and defend the run well.. He's starting to make plays week in and week out.. He's only 24 and will play for us next year for cheap. Let's get another strong corner to play along side this kid and some more pass rushers.. THe future is on the way.. I'm sick of having no cornerbacks for the last past 15 years.. If not longer.

He had a pick, nothing special. He needs to get into shape. Still lacking in the peak of his game. Vontae was faster, more physical, and had leaping abilities for INT's I haven't seen in to many CB's. He isn't all the way back physically.

Guy has. Impressed the heck out of me when he's been healthy. He has good speed and cover skills.. Could tackle and defend the run well.. He's starting to make plays week in and week out.. He's only 24 and will play for us next year for cheap. Let's get another strong corner to play along side this kid and some more pass rushers.. THe future is on the way.. I'm sick of having no cornerbacks for the last past 15 years.. If not longer.

I have a feeling that the Colts will try to extent Davis this off season rather than chance giving him even more money in 2014. They will have a little leverage on a cheaper deal and plenty of cap room for this to make sense.

Definitely looking like a good trade. He just needs to stay healthy.

Hate that Ron Winter stole his 2nd pick.

That PI was more like text book coverage. You can't draw it up any better than that.

I though a two was high, but was never against it. I trusted Grigson.Pagano. I think we got good value now.

Especially considering that this is going to be at the bottom of round 2. There are only 7 teams as we speak that will draft below the Colts. Figuring  we lose to Houston , it will probably move the Was- Dall winner ahead making 8 and if Seattle wins out , that would be 9. Maybe another team or two could go further than us in the playoffs and draft ahead of us despite a worse record over the 16 game schedule. Than again , who's to say that maybe we might win a playoff game ot two ? 

So I guess what i"m saying is that this pick will rpobably be around the 22nd pick in the 2nd round. Plus we didn't lose our 6th rounder. Great trade as long as he's signable.

They were missing Dwayne Bowe today. If they had him plus the 2 million yards Charles had today this would be a different forum topic we'd be talking about.

Luckily we weren't missing anyone, it's always good to have a full roster when the other team has someone not playing..  Please...

And people kept thinking that making the trade for Davis was a bad idea.

Give the guy credit, he has done well when he is healthy.

The problem people have with the trade is that we paid full price.     A high two and what would have been a six if Davis had remained healthy for enough of the season.

People, like me, were uncomfortable paying full price and felt that if we had handled it better we might've gotten him for less, say a 3 and a 6.    

But all in all, the trade seems alright for now.   Not great,  but certainly not bad.

But he certainly looked great today!

He will be a top 5 CB next season. I also think Butler can be a top 10 CB,

For real dude?

This forum has regularly overrated our own corners by a ton. A couple years ago people were saying Jerraud Powers would one day be a Pro Bowler. People thought that making Kelvin Hayden one of the highest paid corners in the league was a good idea. I don't have the burn rate statistics, but I'd imagine our cornerback tandems are in the top 5 for completion percentage. Yes, Davis had a decent game today.....against Jon Baldwin and Devon Wylie.

Vontae was great today and has been pretty good when on the field.

That INT in the endzone was very nice.

The odds of us finding a CB better than he is in the 2nd round...in any draft...are slim. Still happy as heck we made that trade. He is one of the bright spots of this defense.

For real dude?

This forum has regularly overrated our own corners by a ton. A couple years ago people were saying Jerraud Powers would one day be a Pro Bowler. People thought that making Kelvin Hayden one of the highest paid corners in the league was a good idea. I don't have the burn rate statistics, but I'd imagine our cornerback tandems are in the top 5 for completion percentage. Yes, Davis had a decent game today.....against Jon Baldwin and Devon Wylie.

For a while Powers looked like a great CB going forward for us. His biggest problem wasnt talent but injury and scheme. He just doenst fit a man heavy defense like the one we run now.

Hayden was very good before catching the inury bug as well. He just wasnt the same by the time he finally got back on the field.

Davis has been considered one of the more talented CBs for the past few years so I dont see being top 5 as unrealistic. Its not a huge stretch IMO.

Now as far as Butler...I dont agree he will be top 10 or even top 20. I like what he's given us so far. Maybe the light turns on for him but im not holding my breath.

For real dude?

Apparently you haven't seen Pagano's owrk in Baltimore with Webb and such.

wasnt he good Sunday?

We had defensive problems buy mostly against the run and he's one of our best tacklers.

We acquired so many good young people this year....but to get a string starting corner for 2nd round pick is a steal..

The problem people have with the trade is that we paid full price.     A high two and what would have been a six if Davis had remained healthy for enough of the season.

People, like me, were uncomfortable paying full price and felt that if we had handled it better we might've gotten him for less, say a 3 and a 6.    

But all in all, the trade seems alright for now.   Not great,  but certainly not bad.

But he certainly looked great today!

I would much rather take Vontae now than a 2nd and 6th round pick. 

In the long run, I see Vontae being the shutdown corner and Butler as the playmaker with another rookie brought in to fill in for Powers/Vaughn.

For real dude?

With regards to Powers unfortunately we have no idea of his true potential because he is!

Behold!

Mr. Glass!

unbreakable231373.jpg

I do think Vontae has much more potential though.  I say he can be a top 15 CB, who knows the sky is kind of the limit with him because he's a physical freak.  Pagano hopefully can mold him into something special if Davis can keep his head on straight.

Hopefully with Chapman and Mookie back next year and with some new additions we address the run defense.

Chapman will be a force on the run,as well as the pass from the push he will make up the middle,this is the first year for this regime and IMO the future only gets brighter