•  

Photo

Bethea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 John Waylon

John Waylon
  • 2802 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

He's not having a real good season. Is he not fitting into the new defense, or just having a down year or what?
2012 mayan apocalypse survivor. We will rebuild.

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 NewColtsFan

NewColtsFan
  • 6736 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

I think he's having a perfectly good season.

Why do you think otherwise.    This is the first time I've seen someone post this.

Can you explain why you think this way?

#3 manning04

manning04
  • 828 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

I think i could agree and disagree with everything you mentioned. but i think we are seeing him having to do a lot more than we are used to... so i would say "not fitting the new defense" is too harsh as opposed to still learning it. having to do more than what he has been used to.

This post is brought to you today by Qdoba!

#4 Gavin

Gavin
  • 16353 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

89 tackles, 2 sacks thats pretty good for 1st year in a new defense, I will take it and like it

#5 GoColts8818

GoColts8818
  • 12910 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

Third colt ever with 800 career tackles after today
Thank You Peyton! I look forward to the day you come home and we get to do this good bye thing right!

#6 John Waylon

John Waylon
  • 2802 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hasn't had the effect on pass defense that he has in seasons passed, but it seems that I see running backs get by him fairly often. He bites on fakes and jukes, and that's not what we're accustomed to from him. There was a play today that had me really noticing him. It was a screen to Charles and Bethea was covering. Charles had the step on him but someone got pressure and the pass went too long, but had it not, Bethea was far enough behind Charles all he could have done was watched him go in for a TD. That's not the Bethea we've seen in the past.

#7 Andy

Andy
  • 8604 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

He's had a great month, and has been very good this season. Unfortunately, he hasn't been performing like the old Bethea, but he's still doing well.

However, today was his worst performance of the season. He was almost invisible on the field and missed a lot of tackles. He did not perform very well in coverage either allowing a couple of passes. 

He was not good today, but he's still having a fine season, even if it's not up to his standards.

Andy
Writer for: The Montreal Gazette, and various other websites

Posted Image

#8 cmgww

cmgww
  • 1301 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

He needs SS help big time. That would help him a ton. He was at his best when Bob was healthy, and when Bullitt was playing well. He is probably adjusting a bit, but Lefeged isnt the answer at SS, nor is Zibby...he is having a bit of a down year coverage wise, but he is still a solid player
In it to win it since 1992....COLTS fan first, Manning fan 2nd

#9 Andy

Andy
  • 8604 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

89 tackles, 2 sacks thats pretty good for 1st year in a new defense, I will take it and like it

You forgot to post how many missed tackles he has. Just saying.

I think Bethea is having a great year, but he's not playing like the typical Bethea. You see that on the field, he's not the same guy.

Hopefully it's just a transition thing.

Andy

Posted Image

#10 Nostrils

Nostrils
  • 466 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA, hahahahahahahha classic... hahahahahahhahahahahahah so cute

#11 Nostrils

Nostrils
  • 466 posts

I think Bethea is having a great year, but he's not playing like the typical Bethea. You see that on the field, he's not the same guy.

says the dude sitting on his couch

#12 Balzer40

Balzer40
  • 6663 posts

I think this just shows how different fans see things differently than other's. I feel this way about Freeney this yr.. Always been a big fan of his but this yr. he has been flat out awful IMO. I know this is scheme related, but many want him back next season(for sentimental reasons IMO), but I want him to go to a 4-3 team so we can sign somebody more accustomed to a 3-4 OLBer. Sorry, I derailed the thread. Get back to Bethea now.

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today". -- James Dean.

#13 Gavin

Gavin
  • 16353 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Yeah I dont think he is playing the same but still better then people think, 1st year in new defense though and still is pretty good

#14 Tark The Shark

Tark The Shark
  • 2388 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have noticed Bethea doing similar things and having similar stats from last year.

He hasn't been that kind of presence in coverage like he has been before. I still think he is the best defensive player we have. Today he was off, but everyone has a bad day.

“Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the heck you're doing.”- Peyton Manning

#15 Andy

Andy
  • 8604 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, this is officially the worst comment I've read on this board. Congrats Nostrils.

Andy

Posted Image

#16 Andy

Andy
  • 8604 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Yeah I dont think he is playing the same but still better then people think, 1st year in new defense though and still is pretty good

That's what I'm hoping, I'm hoping the slightly off year is just because of the transition. He's still got that pro bowl in him.

Andy

Posted Image

#17 coltsrule91

coltsrule91
  • 7052 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

imo their not using bethea to his strengths. we're asking bethea to be bob sanders. come up to the line and stop the ball carrier and thats not his game. hes a ed reed type of safety not a bob sanders.

its not T.Y its T.watttttttttt WHAT DID T JUST DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 BleedBlu8792

BleedBlu8792
  • 974 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

The guy has consistently been out of position in pass coverage and has missed A LOT of tackles he normally makes. He's not had a good season at all based off what he's done in years past. I thought this scheme would have really benefited him but it hasn't. He's taken a step back this year.

#19 John Waylon

John Waylon
  • 2802 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Says the guy sitting behind a keyboard.

Are we seriously gonna go back to this "Your not a player, you know nothing about the game?" Nonsense again?

Is that you polian?

#20 Nostrils

Nostrils
  • 466 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hasn't had the effect on pass defense that he has in seasons passed, but it seems that I see running backs get by him fairly often. He bites on fakes and jukes, and that's not what we're accustomed to from him. There was a play today that had me really noticing him. It was a screen to Charles and Bethea was covering. Charles had the step on him but someone got pressure and the pass went too long, but had it not, Bethea was far enough behind Charles all he could have done was watched him go in for a TD. That's not the Bethea we've seen in the past.

yeah yeah yeah.... ok ok, right right... you got it, nailed it... 

#21 Nostrils

Nostrils
  • 466 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

He's not having a real good season. Is he not fitting into the new defense, or just having a down year or what?

why don't you tell us what the problem is then, since he's not really having a good season........?  what is a good season?... please explain mod edit..

Edited by shecolt, 24 December 2012 - 09:19 AM.
personal shot

#22 John Waylon

John Waylon
  • 2802 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

why don't you tell us what the problem is then, since he's not really having a good season........?  what is a good season?... please explain mod edit..

Lawl. You quoted it earlier... I didn't say I knew what the cause was. If you had actually, you know, read the OP you would have caught the question.

Reading is a skill, and when you use it you will go far.

Alas, here you sit.

Now sit.

Stay.

Troll over.

Good boy!

#23 21isSuperman

21isSuperman
  • Community Moderator
  • 13281 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Keep it clean, folks.  Take the discussion back on topic or the thread will be closed.  There is no need to resort to name calling or anything like that.  Thanks

When Bob Sanders executes a push up, he does not push himself up. He pushes the world down.
When Bob Sanders was 12, a cobra bit him in the leg. After 4 days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.
Tom Brady can throw a football pretty far. Bob Sanders can throw Tom Brady even farther.
Please make sure to read the Forum Rules before posting or PM a mod if you have any questions

#24 SOMDColtsfan

SOMDColtsfan
  • 598 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

I noticed it more today also. Bethea was doing alot of arm tackling and took bad angles. Looked slow and didnt want to just "hit somebody", but really the whole defense looked that way in general

#25 chad72

chad72
  • 8452 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

To me, Bethea has lost a step to play center field that he is confined more to a strong safety role than the free safety ballhawk that we knew till probably 2009. Coyer's D made him play closer to the box, and not having another good safety to go with him puts more pressure on Bethea, IMO. Aaron Francisco, a serviceable Melvin Bullitt, Tom Zbikowski aint names that are going to blow your mind for safety support.

That is why I feel, for this secondary to take the next step, drafting a quality free safety so that Bethea can continue to play closer to the box while the new draft pick plays more center field would be something I like. That is why I like Eric Reid of LSU, he has the potential of an Ed Reed, IMO.

#26 21isSuperman

21isSuperman
  • Community Moderator
  • 13281 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

This thread keeps going off track.  Thread closed

When Bob Sanders executes a push up, he does not push himself up. He pushes the world down.
When Bob Sanders was 12, a cobra bit him in the leg. After 4 days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.
Tom Brady can throw a football pretty far. Bob Sanders can throw Tom Brady even farther.
Please make sure to read the Forum Rules before posting or PM a mod if you have any questions

COLTS TICKETS!

Join the Season Ticket Wait List!

Game Rewind: Indianapolis Colts

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      23 Apr
    BrentMc11

'possibly' having a re-do on my right eye tomorrow depending on the risk. It is still too far-sighted. I am too young to not have it done with a better script. Hoping it is easy...may have stitches this time with bigger incision.

Show comments (9)
View All Updates