Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bethea

John Waylon

I think i could agree and disagree with everything you mentioned. but i think we are seeing him having to do a lot more than we are used to... so i would say "not fitting the new defense" is too harsh as opposed to still learning it. having to do more than what he has been used to.

Hasn't had the effect on pass defense that he has in seasons passed, but it seems that I see running backs get by him fairly often. He bites on fakes and jukes, and that's not what we're accustomed to from him.

There was a play today that had me really noticing him. It was a screen to Charles and Bethea was covering. Charles had the step on him but someone got pressure and the pass went too long, but had it not, Bethea was far enough behind Charles all he could have done was watched him go in for a TD. That's not the Bethea we've seen in the past.

He's had a great month, and has been very good this season. Unfortunately, he hasn't been performing like the old Bethea, but he's still doing well.

However, today was his worst performance of the season. He was almost invisible on the field and missed a lot of tackles. He did not perform very well in coverage either allowing a couple of passes. 

He was not good today, but he's still having a fine season, even if it's not up to his standards.

He needs SS help big time. That would help him a ton. He was at his best when Bob was healthy, and when Bullitt was playing well. He is probably adjusting a bit, but Lefeged isnt the answer at SS, nor is Zibby...he is having a bit of a down year coverage wise, but he is still a solid player

89 tackles, 2 sacks thats pretty good for 1st year in a new defense, I will take it and like it

You forgot to post how many missed tackles he has. Just saying.

I think Bethea is having a great year, but he's not playing like the typical Bethea. You see that on the field, he's not the same guy.

Hopefully it's just a transition thing.

I think Bethea is having a great year, but he's not playing like the typical Bethea. You see that on the field, he's not the same guy.

says the dude sitting on his couch

I think this just shows how different fans see things differently than other's. I feel this way about Freeney this yr.. Always been a big fan of his but this yr. he has been flat out awful IMO. I know this is scheme related, but many want him back next season(for sentimental reasons IMO), but I want him to go to a 4-3 team so we can sign somebody more accustomed to a 3-4 OLBer. Sorry, I derailed the thread. Get back to Bethea now.

Yeah I dont think he is playing the same but still better then people think, 1st year in new defense though and still is pretty good

Yeah I dont think he is playing the same but still better then people think, 1st year in new defense though and still is pretty good

That's what I'm hoping, I'm hoping the slightly off year is just because of the transition. He's still got that pro bowl in him.

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, December 24, 2012 - inappropriate
Hidden by 21isSuperman, December 24, 2012 - inappropriate
Says the guy sitting behind a keyboard. Are we seriously gonna go back to this "Your not a player, you know nothing about the game?" Nonsense again? Is that you polian?

not at all, I respect opinions, but you ALWAYS sound like an *... do your thing though

Hasn't had the effect on pass defense that he has in seasons passed, but it seems that I see running backs get by him fairly often. He bites on fakes and jukes, and that's not what we're accustomed to from him. There was a play today that had me really noticing him. It was a screen to Charles and Bethea was covering. Charles had the step on him but someone got pressure and the pass went too long, but had it not, Bethea was far enough behind Charles all he could have done was watched him go in for a TD. That's not the Bethea we've seen in the past.

yeah yeah yeah.... ok ok, right right... you got it, nailed it... 

He's not having a real good season. Is he not fitting into the new defense, or just having a down year or what?

why don't you tell us what the problem is then, since he's not really having a good season........?  what is a good season?... please explain mod edit..

Edited by shecolt
personal shot

why don't you tell us what the problem is then, since he's not really having a good season........?  what is a good season?... please explain mod edit..

Lawl. You quoted it earlier... I didn't say I knew what the cause was. If you had actually, you know, read the OP you would have caught the question.

Reading is a skill, and when you use it you will go far.

Alas, here you sit.

Now sit.

Stay.

Troll over.

Good boy!

Lawl. You quoted it earlier... I didn't say I knew what the cause was. If you had actually, you know, read the OP you would have caught the question.

Reading is a skill, and when you use it you will go far.

Alas, here you sit.

Now sit.

Stay.

Troll over.

Good boy!

haha too cute... you spend way too much time on the computer, thinking you know it all about football.. but when you have NOTHING to say lets make a comment about "reading".... you are just sooooo smart, you win!... hahah we need to get you some ({}) my man, acting like a female haha

Keep it clean, folks.  Take the discussion back on topic or the thread will be closed.  There is no need to resort to name calling or anything like that.  Thanks

you can shut up too, you always sound like an * with your posts like your boys Waylon and Andy haha, keep it clean... no, know a little SOMETHING about football so no one has to call you weenies out when you sound stupid

To me, Bethea has lost a step to play center field that he is confined more to a strong safety role than the free safety ballhawk that we knew till probably 2009. Coyer's D made him play closer to the box, and not having another good safety to go with him puts more pressure on Bethea, IMO. Aaron Francisco, a serviceable Melvin Bullitt, Tom Zbikowski aint names that are going to blow your mind for safety support.

That is why I feel, for this secondary to take the next step, drafting a quality free safety so that Bethea can continue to play closer to the box while the new draft pick plays more center field would be something I like. That is why I like Eric Reid of LSU, he has the potential of an Ed Reed, IMO.