Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Butler vs. Cassius Vaughn

Mr.Debonair

The way the Colts have it now is the best way.

Butler  is better against the pass but terrible against the run. Vaughn is solid against the run but below average against the pass. Starting Vaughn and bringing in Butler for the pass is the best way for now.

We should leave Butler right where he is.  He is doing quite well there.  In free agency or the draft we need to find a better #2 than Vaughn.  Although I don't think Vaughn is that bad as others do, we need a bit more talent at his spot.

What I like best about Butler is he has tremendous instincts when it comes to jumping routes. I'm not sure if Asante Samuel was on the Pats when Butler was there.  If he was it sees he learned a thing or two from him.

I like both of them.   I hope both are back on the team next year with a contract that works both for the player and the team.

Davis is a starter.   Hopefully we get another starter in FA.

Then Butler and Vaughn can be 3 and 4.   I don't care which is which, except that I like them both.

They

I would feel much more comfortable with Butler starting instead of Vaughn but maybe the coaches see something on film or in practice to justify Vaughn starting.

They both play....and there's not a significant difference between the two......again we pit our own players against each other...

Butler 4 INTs 1 FF 30 Tackles.

Vaughn 1 INT 0 FF 56 Tackles.

Stats and the eyeball test prove that Butler is better than Vaughn.

Another case of the coaching staff seeing something in the less talented player with someone who has more experience in the system.

Another case of the coaching staff seeing something in the less talented player with someone who has more experience in the system.

the

There is no such thing as the eyeball test. That's like the 'clutch gene' somebody made it up..

Butler has been a happy suprise IMO. Not saying he's a world beater or anything, but he has given us a few sparks this year. I.E. the pick 6s yesterday.

I don't hate Vaughn but we need an upgrade. He has done his job for us admirably this year, but he is no long term solution.

Vaughn is the worst player on the field in any three phases of the Colts team. So crazy how opposing O's so obviously key on him in passing plays. He can't cover a cough. I, too, don't see how Butler doesn't start over Vaughn.[/quote

Sorry, that award must go to Jerry Hughes....

Your hatred for Jerry Hughes is misplaced and honestly laughable, you blatantly disregard that he has been productive in a new scheme at a young age (24 by the way) for the first time

Your hatred for Jerry Hughes is misplaced and honestly laughable, you blatantly disregard that he has been productive in a new scheme at a young age (24 by the way) for the first time

Sorry Gavin. I think he is an undisciplined waste of a spot. It is only my opinion, as my sig says. You are welcome to your view as well. I'm disregarding nothing by the way....

Opinion Based on what?[/

He was a first round pick. He is expected to be as good as freeney when he was young and to be better than Mathis. do you think he fits that criteria? I don't.

you expect that to happen in spot duty? he has actually started 6 games and has 4 sacks this year in those 6 starts, thats pretty good (I expect its not easy to get into the flow of a game if your subbed in and out for 23 of your first 24 games and I dont expect all of those situations were to pass rush), Given a full 16 game season starting I think he will be pretty good if given that chance, he is not a 1 trick pony who can just rush the passer he can actually play the run as well so maybe he will never have a ton of sacks but I think he can give ya 7 to 9 (average) if he was given a full 16 starts in a season plus 60-80 tackles (he has 39 in only 6 starts)

Opinion Based on what?

Based on his visibility, effectiveness, value for money, his unruly nature and penalty count, and an overwhelming feeling that he is very very good at turning up to a play when it has finished. I may not notice everything during or after a game, but I have never ever said to myself, "he's played well"........

Perhaps it's just me....

Based on his visibility, effectiveness, value for money, his unruly nature and penalty count, and an overwhelming feeling that he is very very good at turning up to a play when it has finished. I may not notice everything during or after a game, but I have never ever said to myself, "he's played well"........ Perhaps it's just me....

His cap hit is 1,691,250,000.00$, Next year (the last year in the deal) it is 1,926,250,000.00$. His effectiveness is 4 sacks and 39 tackles being a backup rotational OLB for the first time in a new scheme in his first 6 games starting. Do I think there were other better options available based on what we needed? yes of course but lets be honest its not like he is being paid 19 million dollars for his production. The upside to Hughes in this scheme is very good in my opinion and it has showed in limited snaps, will he be a Dwight Freeney sack master? No probably not, not alot are. but he obviously can get you sacks and I think he can get you double digits, also he he has 40 tackles in those limited snaps and starts so its not like he is a 1 trick pony, He is also 24 alot of time to grow into the Robert Mathis role. Bill was right on with Hughes in that he has alot of talent even if he passed on a couple other guys. The penalties I agree (7 I think) is a little much 4 of them have been for offsides (5 yard penalty). Given time I expect that will be corrected, 5 of his penalties have been pre snap. Not good but Demarcus Ware has 8 and 7 of his are for offsides(I bet alot of pass rushers draw quite  a bit of those do to wanting to ge a good jump on the ball) and a 15 yard horse collar to his credit to. Im not making excuses for the penalties just saying all players get some penalties from time to time especially pass rushers

Besides him not being able to cover or tackle, what's not to like about Vaughn?
The dumb way he cheers of every single play

No matter how bad he is looking in the game if he makes a easy tackle he will get up and cheer like he is the best player in the planet

Jerry Hughes WAS NOT expected to be Freeney OR Mathis. IMO that is a Total Falsehood.

He was expected to be Jerry Hughes and to be able to develope pass rush skills.

IMO what he did under the last regime counts very little, they were bumbs. Jerry is playing well and there is no reason to think he can`t continue to improve.

Some opinions are less valuable than others, IMO, I bet he is liked by those that oversee his play.

The corners in question are not finished products. Neither are the physical backs we are looking for, but they both have a decent shot of being on the team two years from now and being solid contributors.