Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We Have Clinched the 5th Seed! Now Do We Rest the Starters?

BobbyMorris94

The 5th seed is locked up.

I say play them a half to keep momentum, but hand over the reigns to Chandler Harnish and company. I want to see Mario Harvey get some burn at OLB, and Chapman get some snaps at NT as well.

What does everyone think? Rest the starters or not?

Maybe Drew Stanton... Harnish is not back on the active roster is he? did i miss something?

The 5th seed is locked up.

I say play the starters for a half to keep momentum, but then hand over the reigns to Chandler Harnish and company. I want to see Mario Harvey get some burn at OLB, and Chapman get some snaps at NT as well.

What does everyone think? Rest the starters or not?

1. There are multiple threads on this topic on the front page

2. Drew Stanton is the backup QB

3. Harnish is on the practice squad

Well we likely do have a better backup QB then in years past. It can't get worse then some of the stuff we had at times.

However, I am not a fan of going, "Here Houston, yeah take homefield and good luck in the playoffs. Best of LUCK."

Naw, not with Chuck coming back. I doubt it happens.

Maybe Drew Stanton... Harnish is not back on the active roster is he? did i miss something?

Well bring him up then! Can't establish trade value if he doesn't play right?lol  Or maybe they let Stanton audition for a role elsewhere.

Sucks about Chapman. I was really wanting to see him play. Somehow I missed that he went to IR. I would also like a Teddy Williams sighting. I know he has the speed to be an effective man corner, but I don't know much else about him.

1st of all, I don't think we have the 5th seed wrapped up just yet.

secondly, there is absolutely ZERO chance of seeing Harnish and Chapman.

Lastly, if they rest their starters, they are making a huge mistake.

The Colts have locked the 5th seed regardless. If Baltimore loses their last two, we have the best record even if we lose next week. If they win today, they win the division because they hold the tie-breaker over Cincinnati even if they lose to them next week and end up with the same record, because they have the better record within their division. We hold the tie-breaker over Cincinnati because of the better common opponents record.

No, they have to keep getting Luck some practice.

You can't go into Luck's first playoffs with him having a week off. He needs to be ready to go. He's not a 10 year vet, who can be rested the week before. That vet can do that because he knows what the playoffs are like.

Luck does not know what the playoffs are like, and must therefore NOT sit out the last game. Also, Harnish is on the PS, if anything, it would be Stanton.

We would be better off cutting Stanton tomorrow and bring Harnish up and letting him play a half. Stanton has no future with this team. He wants to play. Harnish is the back-up for the foreseeable future.

But I think the Colts are very loyal, so they will probably let Stanton see some snaps.

So say we play the starters all game and we loose one of our best players for the playoffs? Is the risk worth it? Also why show Houston our hand again if we could meet them later in the playoffs?

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Andy" data-cid="367965"><p>No, they have to keep getting Luck some practice.<br /> <br />You can't go into Luck's first playoffs with him having a week off. He needs to be ready to go. He's not a 10 year vet, who can be rested the week before. That vet can do that because he knows what the playoffs are like.<br /><br />Luck does not know what the playoffs are like, and must therefore NOT sit out the last game. Also, Harnish is on the PS, if anything, it would be Stanton.</p></blockquote><br />You say things like they are absolutes - like there is no other alternative. Can't a very rational argument be made that Luck has been off the last few weeks and a week off may do him some good? Seems reasonable to me. Plus, there are a limited # of hits anyone can take in a given season and he has to be at his alotment.

We need to go all out.Only way to play

I just want to say that smart teams don't show their hands and risk injury in meaningless games against a team that they have a decent chance to meet again in the playoffs.

But the year we won the Superbowl, we didn't rest because the last game was important. The year we lost in the Super Bowl, we did rest the starters.

I think it depends how Houston comes off their loss to the Vikings. I would like to see the starters play the whole game and beat Houston, not just so we can say we beat the Texans, but because of our coach being on the sidelines. We need to win to show that we don't lay down for anything, our coach didn't so we shouldn't.

We would be better off cutting Stanton tomorrow and bring Harnish up and letting him play a half. Stanton has no future with this team. He wants to play. Harnish is the back-up for the foreseeable future.

But I think the Colts are very loyal, so they will probably let Stanton see some snaps.

So say we play the starters all game and we loose one of our best players for the playoffs? Is the risk worth it? Also why show Houston our hand again if we could meet them later in the playoffs?

Just because Stanton's contract is about to expire, doesn't mean they won't resign him.

Its not just the hits on Luck that worry me lately. I think this team needs a boost again, some emotion. Maybe it can happen with Chuck coming back but they also seem to be "mentally flat" to me too.

Just my opinion right or wrong. We have seen this team look much more inspired then it has been lately.

"A big game in Indianapolis against the Colts where home-field advantage in the AFC playoffs will be at stake for Houston, which has never won at the RCA Dome or Lucas Oil Stadium. The Colts can control whether they are the fifth or sixth seed in the AFC field, determining where they travel for their first-round playoff game."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

Do we really want those chumps to be able to say they finally beat us in Lucas Oil Stadium?  I say no way in Hades do we let them do that.  We need to let them dudes know that what they have accomplished will be short lived.  We need to let those suckers know they are just keeping the seat warm until we take over again.

I agree 100% with the vast majority of people on here. Rest no one...Hit the accelerator! We have a young, inexperienced squad for the most part who gain absolutely nothing by sitting.

Winning just like Driver's Ed is a hands on skill that is only acquired by doing...No one ever learns anything in the backseat...Grab the wheel, turn the key, & fly baby fly!  :thmup:

I agree 100% with the vast majority of people on here. Rest no one...Hit the accelerator! We have a young, inexperienced squad for the most part who gain absolutely nothing by sitting.

Winning just like Driver's Ed is a hands on skill that is only acquired by doing...No one ever learns anything in the backseat...Grab the wheel, turn the key, & fly baby fly!  :thmup:

Amen and well said.

Win or lose hit the accelerator. These guys have all offseason to rest and some are quite young as is.

I just remember Jim Caldwell & Tony Dungy resting players before the Playoffs & it was a disaster for my beloved Colts...Never again...Chemistry & MOJO are just too vital to lose or let slip through our fingers. 

Feel free to disagree with me naturally, but that's just what I have always believed. Always go out swinging on the brink the Playoffs...Never wonder what if....  

I just remember Jim Caldwell & Tony Dungy resting players before the Playoffs & it was a disaster for my beloved Colts...Never again...Chemistry & MOJO are just too vital to lose or let slip through our fingers. 

Feel free to disagree with me naturally, but that's just what I have always believed. Always go out swinging on the brink the Playoffs...Never wonder what if....  

I am out of likes for now but right on.

Also last years Packers rested Rodgers and a few key starters for the entire finale at home. Then the on the roll Giants came in......game over.

We can do a bit of a hybrid, we rest those who are dinged up like Reggie Wayne just screwed up a finger or two fingers. Let the froshes eat. Let's get our o-line healthy for Baltimore. Let's, however, start AL and his supporting cast of characters. Straight up. Let's go get a win for Chuck and put Houston in the first round of playoffs vs. Cincy or whomever they would play. Let's do a Hybrid and be smart about this. CHUCKSTRONG=winning=a force to be reckoned with. Let's mash some potatoes next week at the expense of the Texans. I want their blood. I want us to "Drink their Milkshakes".

p.s. - first person who can tell me where drink their milkshakes comes from , gets a Milkshake.