Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who was at fault for our bad D against Chiefs?

UKColt13

Completely pathetic. We gave up 13 points on the road in Arrowhead with a new scheme. Anything over 7 points in that situation is just incomprehensible.

Sadly we'll just have to try to forget the pain while watching our team in the playoffs. Not sure how much that is gonna help.

Lol. I am apologizing for my smartalic attitude, but I am truly amazed. I have not done the research but I am going to guess that holding a team to 13 points, on the road, in an outdoor stadium when your team plays indoors, in late December, at Arrowhead  of all places, is fantastic....without even going into the greenness of this defense. Last time I checked, games are decided by points, not yards allowed. Again, my apologies to those who need to complain about how bad the defense is. After 13 years of witnessing complaining about it during one of the winningest decades in the history of the NFL, which included a SB victory, has me exhausted.

Please get back to your normally scheduled complaining.

It's not complaining...it's called seeing past the warm fuzziness of a playoff clinching win to address problems that need correcting to become better.  The fact that the Colts gave up only 13 points has more to do with the fact that they were facing Brady Quinn at QB than it does the quality of our defensive performance.  Any other team in the league would have drilled us for allowing that many yards on the ground.  Colts are going to the playoffs now.  So they gotta get this mess tightened up if they don't want to get embarassed.  There are no Kansas Citys or Brady Quinns to bail us out in the post season.

I blame Bill Polian. We still havent recovered from that mess of an undersized "D". It will take years to unwind what he had woven and I'm being dead-serious about this. That's where this whole mess started. "Built to play with the lead", I'm over it. Remember also that we are not even a year into the rebuilding process (on and off the field).

To me, it is tired legs on D due to lack of quality rotation on D-line. That is why those legs need some rest when we play the Ravens and their O-line.

Or, maybe MJD and Fred Taylor decided to visit the Chiefs' locker room? :)

But then, having been through this as a franchise in 2006, we know that whether you give up 150 or 350, it still counts as 1 game of ineptitude.

What I can't understand is you have Freeney, who just is an expert at rushing the passer, why is it that DC's have yet to figure out a system to maximize his skillset with the rest of the team? Why is there no communication to his lb's that I'm rushing in, you protect outside or I'm speed rushing wide you crash inside? That has always been lacking since he has got here really. Surely they can figure out a communication process on e he is up to the line. The only thing I can think is freeney doesn't want to do it, he is too stupid to figure one out or he just free lances on his own feel. DC's would not be this stupid from one to the next.

Need that big NT to anchor and push in the middle as well.

The colts can allow three. hundred yards rushing every game for all I care as long as they don't give up more than 13 points

Thing is if they do that in the playoffs against any team we will get whipped, That playoff game will get talked about for years to come and in a bad way, keep in mind the Chiefs had very little of a passing game, the teams we will play in the playoffs in the AFC can all beat ya through the air

I don't get why people do not understand that the amount of yards that we give up will eventually turn into points. It may not have happened in this game, but it sure has in the past games. Look at the Pats game, the Texans, the Bears, and even that Jaguars game that we lost because MJD ran wild.  

It's like saying I don't mind germs as long as I don't get sick. The germs will eventually lead to you getting sick.

I agree with Andy equal parts d-line, LB's, and back end of the secondary. That being said, the secondary produced a TD, 2 interceptions, and a fumble recovery and the d-line got a 4th down and inches stop. The Davis interception negated by penalty was a typical call by a Ron Winters crew (three blind mice plays in the backround while they make that call). We survived on D that's the best you can say.

The Colts gave up 350 yards rushing and over 500 total yards.

The answer is to your question is everyone.    DC, position coaches, all the players.    

A complete and total team failure.    How the defense managed to rise up so many times to make key stops is one of the mysteries of the universe!      But, sometimes strange stuff happens in sports and yesterday was one of them.

Poster John Dee called it leadership from the veterans.   Or a Will to Win created by the coaching staff.

Whatever......      I don't know how we did it,  but we did.    

It's a Christmas Miracle for the whole Colt's family to enjoy!!     :thmup:

Completely pathetic. We gave up 13 points on the road in Arrowhead with a new scheme. Anything over 7 points in that situation is just incomprehensible.

Sadly we'll just have to try to forget the pain while watching our team in the playoffs. Not sure how much that is gonna help.

Lol. I am apologizing for my smartalic attitude, but I am truly amazed. I have not done the research but I am going to guess that holding a team to 13 points, on the road, in an outdoor stadium when your team plays indoors, in late December, at Arrowhead of all places, is fantastic....without even going into the greenness of this defense. Last time I checked, games are decided by points, not yards allowed. Again, my apologies to those who need to complain about how bad the defense is. After 13 years of witnessing complaining about it during one of the winningest decades in the history of the NFL, which included a SB victory, has me exhausted.

Please get back to your normally scheduled complaining.

Yeah it bugs me also, some people seem to think that Luck is truly a bad QB also which grinds my gears. I've heard high praise from analysts, commentators, current players and retired players about how great of a rookie season he's having and how impressive he's been but some people honestly think he's a bad QB. People are entitled to their opinions however.

What the Colts have done this year is nothing short of a storybook season. Literally a season you could make a movie about, considering what transitioned in the off season last year up until now. I'm impressed with the Colts and they are a VERY young team.

Could you imagine if the Colts didn't make the playoffs how bad the complaining would be??? haha

I'm guilty of it still however myself. I complain about the refs and the OL for the most part but still acknowledge what an outstanding season it is and how great all the young talent on this team is.

I've never seen so much complaining on the forum, more complaining than there was last year when we went 2-14. Maybe because people's expectations are way too high.

Be thankful that the Colts are in the playoffs, yeh the D looked bad but the Colts still won.

Merry Christmas to all and a happy NY! Colts gave us a nice Christmas gift with an entrance into the dance. Regardless of the outcome, only a small handful of people out there thought it was possible.

"The fact that the Colts gave up only 13 points has more to do with the fact that they were facing Brady Quinn at QB than it does the quality of our defensive performance."

I guess I must have missed Brady making those stops in the red zone.

Don't get me wrong...no one is saying the defense didn't do anything good...credit our defense for making the plays that we did.  The mere fact that we got 3 turnovers is encouraging.  But giving up 350 yards on the ground shouldn't be sugar coated...we were fortunate to be facing a QB who couldn't effectively use it to his advantage.  Brady Quinn is not good.  Most quarterbacks in the league like the ones we will be seeing in the playoffs would have put up more points on us given that kind of running support. 

I just took a lopok at the inactives for that game. We're a mash unit at tackle. We're missing linebackers.

It's tough to give up 350 rushing yards on the ground, no matter what. But it was arm tackles and lack of push, and there's not too much you can do to fix that, aside from sell out on the run, which we eventually started doing.

To the positive, we forced three turnovers, got robbed of a fourth, only gave up 13 points, and got huge stops at the end of the game. All while getting dominated in time of possession. Could have been a lot worse. The last time we gave up 350+ on the ground we gave up 44 points to go along with it. I'll take Sunday's result over that. In the meantime, if we get some players back healthy and play with more discipline on the edges, we'll be alright.

It's not complaining...it's called seeing past the warm fuzziness of a playoff clinching win to address problems that need correcting to become better.  The fact that the Colts gave up only 13 points has more to do with the fact that they were facing Brady Quinn at QB than it does the quality of our defensive performance.  Any other team in the league would have drilled us for allowing that many yards on the ground.  Colts are going to the playoffs now.  So they gotta get this mess tightened up if they don't want to get embarassed.  There are no Kansas Citys or Brady Quinns to bail us out in the post season.

I'm inclined to agree. Any decent QB would take advantage of the huge run game and short field and manged more scoring.  The fact KC is a QB abyss helped us tremendously   I'n not so sure Stanzi wouldn't have done better than B. Quinn.