Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The "Norv Turner to Indy as OC" rumors begin!

ColtsFTW

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT? ok, first of all, B.A. is our OC and will always be. He is loyal to coach Pagano and would never leave. IMO 2nd, it would be too hard for him to fit in anywhere else (BA), some people don't like him because he is cocky.

This is the NFL, it's a business. Even Dick LeBeau left the Steelers. Nothing is always.

WHAT? ok, first of all, B.A. is our OC and will always be. He is loyal to coach Pagano and would never leave. IMO 2nd, it would be too hard for him to fit in anywhere else (BA), some people don't like him because he is cocky.
BA probably is going to win coach of the year. and you can't have the coach of the year not coaching a football team come next year. sad but true. BA might get a shot in PA or SD

I've always said, Turner is a better coordinator than HC. I think that's something many on this board believe too.

If Arians decides to leave, I think I would put Turner at the top of the list for guys to hire. He's done a relatively good job with Rivers. Rivers has been bad the last 2 years, but he's responsible for building him up into the player he is. Plus, Rivers loves Turner, and that's obvious.

Turner is a guy you would want to play for, and his offensive scheme is similar to ours. It would be a good fit.

Norv's offense is vertical like BA's and probably more predictable. Aren't these two big issues with many on this board? He would want to bring in bigger WR's...not sure Hilton really fits. It's been 20 years since he has been successful. I just can't really get behind this idea.

Folks, listen to man. If you are are BA friendly, he is an easier transiition.  Turner learned the Air Coryell vertical offense form longtime Coryell assistant Ernie Zampese.  Turners twists use less plays and formations (Sound good Superman?) anf focus on mid length plays rather than deep shots.  That is why fast, tall, leaping WR's  (like Vincent Jackson) are necessary. But less formations requires higher levels of execution, a'la Peyton Manning. Because of this, his offense is termed 'predictable', as Larry says.

My question is, can Luck, Ballard, D. Allen, and T.Y. Hilton be our version of Troy Aikmen, Emmitt Smith, Jay Novacek, and Michael Irvin in the Turner version of the Coryell offense?  Also how was the Dallas O-Line back then compared to our group?

Norv is actually a very good OC.  He just isn't fit out to be a head coach, but he is a pretty good OC.  I wouldn't be mad if he came here.  He is respected and admired greatly by everyone in the San Diego locker room and all the players love to play for him.  Of course, I'd rather see Arians stay, but I wouldn't be upset if Norv becomes out next OC.

Arians doesn't owe Luck or anybody on this team anything..if he has an opportunity to become a head coach like he always dreamed of..he should and will take it..life is too short and he most likely wont get this opportunity again..he is already a SB champ and has already worked with a borderline HOF QB..but on to the subject at hand I think Norv would be a great replacement for BA..

There is no such thing as "Never" in the NFL....just look at the guy playing QB for Denver....

Noooooooooooooooooooo

Keep BA. Don't change things up for Luck. Irsay needs to keep BA with the team so Luck can get used to one system and perfect it. Plus, I can't stand to look at Norv Turner on our sidelines - the sight of his face annoys me lol.

It's not about keeping Arians. If he gets a head coach offer it is not up to the Colts, it's up to him. If he decides to go, I personally think Norv would be a pretty good candidate for his replacement.

No one -- repeat, no one -- is talking about firing Arians.   It won't happen.   Period.

The story is about Arians taking a job as a Head Coach with another team and the Colts needing to fill the OC position.

It would help those that are screaming about why would we get rid of Arians and Pagano is loyal if they would simply read the story that was linked.    Reading would be helpful.    Then you'd know what the circumstances are that we're talking about.

As to Turner.   His system is nothing like Arians'.   Nothing.   And he's a widely recognized outstanding OC.    I'd be happy to have him.

It was clear once again today that OC Bruce Arians does not help HC Bruce Arians one bit.    We make this so much harder on ourselves than we have to.

I think Arians is as good as gone.  There will be several open HC jobs next season and Arians has expressed his desire to be a HC in the past but was never selected.  He's had almost a whole season to be the HC in Indy and the team is in the playoffs.  He wouldn't even be considered a rookie coach next year. 

He wouldn't even be considered a rookie coach next year. 

Right, at this point, he has more head-coaching experience than Chuck does. 

The people wanting him gone might be regretting that desire a year from now, especially should Chuck have a relapse.  That said, I hope he does get a head coaching opportunity.  He has the right temperament and the good leadership skills necessary to be a head coach. 

No one -- repeat, no one -- is talking about firing Arians.   It won't happen.   Period.

The story is about Arians taking a job as a Head Coach with another team and the Colts needing to fill the OC position.

It would help those that are screaming about why would we get rid of Arians and Pagano is loyal if they would simply read the story that was linked.    Reading would be helpful.    Then you'd know what the circumstances are that we're talking about.

As to Turner.   His system is nothing like Arians'.   Nothing.   And he's a widely recognized outstanding OC.    I'd be happy to have him.

It was clear once again today that OC Bruce Arians does not help HC Bruce Arians one bit.    We make this so much harder on ourselves than we have to.

The question isn't whether or not Bruce Arians will be fired. The question is will Bruce be persuaded to leave for a HC job. I wouldn't slam the door on this possibility entirely actually. 

The question isn't whether or not Bruce Arians will be fired. The question is will Bruce be persuaded to leave for a HC job. I wouldn't slam the door on this possibility entirely actually. 

You know that.    I know that.    But some posters in this thread don't seem to know that.

The story was about Arians leaving to become a head coach.    And suddenly, posters show up here -- don't read the link -- and cry out about not getting rid of Arians and Pagano is loyal and Arians won't leave the team, etc, etc. etc.

It gets frustrating to have a thread hi-jacked by people who don't read the story and jump to the wrong conclusion.

Arians is a dreadful coordinator. Steelers fans warned us and we're seeing it ourselves. If he gets a HC offer I'd be shocked if he didn't take it, and I'll be extremely grateful for his work filling in for Chuck, but I really don't want Arians pulling the strings on offence any more.

You, sir, are wrong.  There are differences, but more similar than not.  N. Turners offense is an Air Coryell variant.  Turner learned it from Don Coryell's assistant Ernie Zampese.  Arians and Turners offense scheme are both considered vertical passing attacks.  Mike Matz version the most radical of them all. Nothing like it would be Bill Walshes West Coast Offense.  Tom Moore has been an advocate of the Air Coryell scheme, BTW.