Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do We Have the WORST Defense in the League?

Smonroe

Seems like a viable topic if we were fighting for the first pick in the draft. With 9 wins and on the verge of making the playoffs, it smells of.....so? Didn't a team just go to the SB worst running offense in the league a few years back?

Since wins and losses are still how they decide seasons, I'll take the D we have and call it adequate.

I don't know about carry them but I do think they have been better for the most part than in recent years most noticeably against the run.  They are still only a middle of the NFL level team at stopping the run but for years the Colts were one of the worst in the league at doing that so being middle of the pack is a major improvement for them. 

We clearly still have major improvements to make to the defense but since we didn't do much with the defense this off-season that shouldn't surprise anyone. With that said the few moves the have made have been really good, Redding has been worth every cent we paid for him.  Davis might not be the best corner in the league but he is by far the best one we have.  Freeman might be the steal of the off-season.  Fokou hasn't gotten a lot of attention this year but he has been very good at being our pass defense linebacker and was well worth Kevin Thomas that we gave up for him.  Even Tevaseu has been a good back up DT brought in in a hard spot.  I also think Vaughn and Butler are good back up corners and were nice finds by Grigson. Now clearly we still have holes to fill, we need a a true 3/4 DT who can start, a number two corner, a true 3/4 OLB to replace Freeney this off-season.  If we can find those players I think our defense could be really really good because I think we have a good core in place for a 3/4 Defense. 

turnovers and points "gained"  off of said TO"s...     hmmmmmmm?

I think this D may qualify for D of the year.  ...    They  really are pretty good.    At crunch time.

Yeah, that's the point of the discussion.  Nate goes by pure stats.  Pure stats don't tell the story of where you are now, only a compilation of where you've been.  If pure stats told the true story, there would be no Vegas.  

I'm saying that RIGHT NOW we do not have the worst D in the league.  What we did in week 1 or week 10 has no bearing on how we're playing now.  But the stats still say it does.

Feel me?

Oh most defintely.

DVOA is cool for accurate stats as they accrue (not to mention taking in account schedule,2nd WR defense etc) but football is played on the field and from what little I've seen Luck seems to have that magic to lead a team.

But DVOA does give a good measure how you stack up.

Funny NE was a percentage ahead to win SB. Now Denver is on top by 1%.  Colts have actually creeped up to 2.5% to MAKE it to the AFC :)

The D is playing very well?   ?  who?

Oh most defintely.

DVOA is cool for accurate stats as they accrue (not to mention taking in account schedule,2nd WR defense etc) but football is played on the field and from what little I've seen Luck seems to have that magic to lead a team.

But DVOA does give a good measure how you stack up.

Funny NE was a percentage ahead to win SB. Now Denver is on top by 1%.  Colts have actually creeped up to 2.5% to MAKE it to the AFC :)

Yeah we can't seem to play a full game on either side of the ball, and we'll probably have the worse D in the playoffs. This season really has been a strange one. I love how far we've come, and the team has certainly gone well beyond my expectations, but I can't help but feel that we've done greater than the sum of our parts. We've had some ugly games, we have some ugly stats, but somehow we've put up 9 wins with 2 games to go. We get it done. Incredible.

Yeah we can't seem to play a full game on either side of the ball, and we'll probably have the worse D in the playoffs. This season really has been a strange one. I love how far we've come, and the team has certainly gone well beyond my expectations, but I can't help but feel that we've done greater than the sum of our parts. We've had some ugly games, we have some ugly stats, but somehow we've put up 9 wins with 2 games to go. We get it done. Incredible.
You sure about the Colts in the playoffs? We'd better win today and that's anything but a sure deal.

Must be pretty annoying, having all those "defenders" bump into you and almost making you stumble. You better be careful, they might actually finish a tackle soon! 

Nah, I just blow them down like birthday candles.

435 yards now.

I'm gonna have to miss a few plays, my shoes melted off.

Well, on second thought... I may owe Nate an apology.

Maybe, maybe not. Nate goes by purely numbers.

I go by situational numbers. Force 4 turnovers and if not for that pass interference, we would have had a 5th, IMO. Then we make a key 4th down stop.

We give up yards but tighten up when it matters. Clutch situational play cannot be measured in stats alone, IMO.

Maybe, maybe not. Nate goes by purely numbers.

I go by situational numbers. Force 4 turnovers and if not for that pass interference, we would have had a 5th, IMO. Then we make a key 4th down stop.

We give up yards but tighten up when it matters. Clutch situational play cannot be measured in stats alone, IMO.

Oh, I agree. I was joking. A game like this is all Nate needs to support his theory. Our D is not good, but it's good enough.

I wanted to resurrect this thread.

Unless I'm mistaken, the D has given up only one TD for four weeks in a row. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I want Nate Dunlevy to go to his bag of stats and tell us how bad the D is again.

I've said it before - statistics do NOT tell us about where we're at, only where we've been.

I wanted to resurrect this thread.

Unless I'm mistaken, the D has given up only one TD for four weeks in a row. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I want Nate Dunlevy to go to his bag of stats and tell us how bad the D is again.

I've said it before - statistics do NOT tell us about where we're at, only where we've been.

And consider how often the Colts have made incredible adjustments and shut opponents down in the second half. Houston just got blanked after halftime today. BLANKED.

OK. :) Musta been out of it today. Not sure why I was thinking 14-16 was halftime.

I'm pretty sure we didn't even have a first down until the fourth quarter. We scored on the KR, then the long pass to TY.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but did we even have a first down in the 3rd Q?

Not flat out terrible any more. We've actually got some consistency going. Something I haven't seen since.... ..... ....... the 2006 playoff run. Hopefully this isn't just an anomaly like that was. If it isn't, we're a mediocre at worst D but it's too early to tell. Give it another half season or so. - we need a larger body of work than the past 4-5 games.

On the plus side It's possible the new system finally clicked. I've never felt good about our D - or special teams for that matter. Right now I'm cautiously optimistic about both. Heck, we might even be above average/borderline GOOD.

The O-line still needs lots, and LOTS, of work with the pass blocking for certain.

The run game with both backs and blocking have come a long way. They've been in decline since 06/07 and are finally headed in the right direction.