Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday benched

MTC

Wait a minute...Jeff Saturday willingly conceded his center 1st string position? Why? His skills haven't diminished that much?

Has Saturday lost the desire to prepare every week & he wants to pursue a 2nd career in TV broadcasting?  

I don't get this move of capitulation at all.  :scratch:  :dunno:

I think it is the end...especially if he himself called it a "passing of the torch". I hope he comes back to the Colts FO, maybe a strength/conditioning coach? Or given his work with the NFL during the lockout, something more executive related. Ring of Honor for sure! From UDFA to multiple Pro Bowler and SB winner. One of the Colts greats

Wait a minute...Jeff Saturday willingly conceded his center 1st string position? Why? His skills haven't diminished that much?

Has Saturday lost the desire to prepare every week & he wants to pursue a 2nd career in TV broadcasting?  

not

sounds like he didnt have much choice..They have no allegience to him like Indy had. Wish he was still here.

Sure do need him

His hearts broken because he's not a Colt no longer, The heart can only handle it for so long.

notsounds like he didnt have much choice..They have no allegience to him like Indy had. Wish he was still here.

Sure do need him

What's QB Aaron Rogers perspective on this move? Did he approve this? He was very complementary of Jeff's intelligence as center once Saturday arrived in GB..Trust me, Rogers has serious clout in that Packers team complex. Why disrupt Center/QB chemistry now this late in the season? A really stupid move IMO.
His hearts broken because he's not a Colt no longer, The heart can only handle it for so long.
Personally, I thought Jeff wanted to finish his NFL career playing for 2 of the greatest franchises in football: INDY & the Frozen Tundra in Green Bay with the legacy of Vince Lombardi & the SB trophy. Strange...

notsounds like he didnt have much choice..They have no allegience to him like Indy had. Wish he was still here.

Sure do need him

Would be nice if we had the Zone Blocking scheme still in place but we moved to Man Blocking, Not saying he would fit but at 37 it would not be worth it, just draft a Center if thats the case, Travis Frederic

Im not sure who some of you guys were watching the last couple of yrs. but Saturday's level of play has most certainly dropped off. I hope he comes back here and coaches or takes a front office job. He is extremely intelligent, but he don't have the skills to perform anymore.

"Jeff Saturday confirms he has been benched"

Unfortunately I doubt that "willingly conceded", "lost his desire", and "capitulation" enter into it.

"Jeff Saturday confirms he has been benched"

Unfortunately I doubt that "willingly conceded", "lost his desire", and "capitulation" enter into it.

Granted, I am not in team meetings everyday & I have no idea how complicated GB's offensive schemes are...However, Jeff is not a fool. Unless he is injury prone, re-insert him ASAP. I don't buy this lame "passing the torch" excuse at all. Simply ridiculous.  :facepalm:

Jeff protected Peyton Manning, the most cerebral field general the NFL has arguably ever seen, Saturday can easily digest an elaborate or sophisticated playbook. What in the world is the OC & HC Mike McCarthy doing?!!

If age was an issue why did they even sign him? :???: :dunno:

For what his skills at one time was while believing or hoping that he still is that same player, Seahawks did it and that was with TO, I dont know what there motive was(Packers) but they had to believe he still had the skills because they picked him up and started him(Saturday). I dont believe it has anything to do with him not mentally grasping the offense. Line calls or corrections were on RG Josh Sitton I believe

In the issue of full disclosure, I am extremely biased & protective of Jeff Saturday. Is that allegiance clouding my judgment? Perhaps...I have a profound amount of respect for Jeff...Saving & preserving NFL games for 10 years, being #18's right hand man in INDY for over a decade, and for being a humble, grounded, & great guy overall.

This really ticks me off...Fight this Jeff! Do not roll over & be the perfect soldier & team mate on this one please.

Finish your career on a high note. Thank you.

Granted, I am not in team meeting everyday & I have no idea how complicated GB's offensive schemes are...However, Jeff is not a fool. Unless he is injury prone, re-insert him ASAP. I don't buy this lame "passing the torch" excuse at all. Simply ridiculous.  :facepalm:

SW, I'm not happy to hear it either. Jeff was one of my favorite Colts, but I don't understand what you are seeing here. "Passing the torch" is just :blah: . Did Mark Sanchez "pass the torch" this week? The Packers have offensive line issues, and it sounds like they've decided that Jeff is no longer good enough. I have no idea myself, I haven't seen him play a down all season. One would think based on recent evidence, however, that the Packers organization knows what they are doing.

For some perspective, I co-incidentally was reading an article about Jeff in Sport Illustrated while in a waiting wrong today. It struck me that there was a passage about Jeff having been equal partners with Peyton in Indy - free to debate everything, and often winning. In GB, very simply "Aaron Rodgers makes the adjustments". Period. There was some mention of Jeff having difficulty adjusting to the changes. Half the man's value was his brain. Take that away and he's just an undersized 37 year old center. It sounds to me as if he should have talked to them a little more before signing on, and perhaps made concessions to end up in Denver instead, where they clearly had a need.

Im not sure who some of you guys were watching the last couple of yrs. but Saturday's level of play has most certainly dropped off. I hope he comes back here and coaches or takes a front office job. He is extremely intelligent, but he don't have the skills to perform anymore.

I'm glad you said it and not me. Hats off to Grigson and Irsay for seeing this.for seeing this.

If age was an issue why did they even sign him? :???: :dunno:

A good question Susie Q.

Jeff would have never signed in GB if he was given the impression that the Packers only wanted wanted him in a secondary role serving as nothing more than a sideline mentor for rookie players. etc. Just speculation on my part. I have no proof of this fact. 

I'm glad you said it and not me. Hats off to Grigson and Irsay for seeing this.for seeing this.

There is no concrete proof to illustrate that both Grigson or Owner Irsay viewed Jeff Saturday as physically damaged goods. I'm sorry dw49, but that is pure speculation on your part. Until you get deliberate confirmation on that fact, I wouldn't run with that statement at all.

Jeff deserves the benefit of the doubt. Yes, players usually retire from the game as a result of the body breaking down or mental preparation weariness etc. etc. Just try not to sabotage Saturday's NFL career without confirmation please thank you. That's all I ask dw49. 

There is no concrete proof to illustrate that both Grigson or Owner Irsay viewed Jeff Saturday as physically damaged goods. I'm sorry dw49, but that is pure speculation on your part. Until you get deliberate confirmation on that fact, I wouldn't run with that statement at all.

Jeff deserves the benefit of the doubt. Yes, players usually retire from the game as a result of the body breaking down or mental preparation weariness etc. etc. Just try not to sabotage Saturday's NFL career without confirmation please thank you. That's all I ask dw49. 

I think your reaching here with the damage good comment, No one is saying he is damaged goods, who knows if he is injured or not, but he is 37 and obviously the body breaks down at some point and sometimes it breaks down faster then others especially in his line of work, that does not mean he is injured or "damaged goods" that just means his body just cant take the beating like it used to not that it gets injured doing so but more so he just cant quite perform to the level he used to

SW, I'm not happy to hear it either. Jeff was one of my favorite Colts, but I don't understand what you are seeing here. "Passing the torch" is just :blah: . Did Mark Sanchez "pass the torch" this week? The Packers have offensive line issues, and it sounds like they've decided that Jeff is no longer good enough. I have no idea myself, I haven't seen him play a down all season. One would think based on recent evidence, however, that the Packers organization knows what they are doing.

For some perspective, I co-incidentally was reading an article about Jeff in Sport Illustrated while in a waiting wrong today. It struck me that there was a passage about Jeff having been equal partners with Peyton in Indy - free to debate everything, and often winning. In GB, very simply "Aaron Rodgers makes the adjustments". Period. There was some mention of Jeff having difficulty adjusting to the changes. Half the man's value was his brain. Take that away and he's just an undersized 37 year old center. It sounds to me as if he should have talked to them a little more before signing on, and perhaps made concessions to end up in Denver instead, where they clearly had a need.

I'm not viewing the world with rose colored glasses if that's what you are asking me. "Passing the Torch"= "Passing You Over" or "Bypassing You" I know that & I understand that. But, to say that, the GB Coaching Staff knows what they are doing is laughable to me. Sure they have suffered an onslaught of player injuries this year & are just now getting healthy again is accurate, but there defense has been lacking recently & Clay Matthews returning won't solve all their problems either. There is a huge difference between stopping the bleeding & make sound, productive adjustments in December IMO.

They are not going to the SB this year as NFC Division Champions I am pretty optimistic about that notion personally whether Jeff Saturday is on the o-line or not. 

I think your reaching here with the damage good comment, No one is saying he is damaged goods, who knows if he is injured or not, but he is 37 and obviously the body breaks down at some point and sometimes it breaks down faster then others especially in his line of work, that does not mean he is injured or "damaged goods" that just means his body just cant take the beating like it used to not that it gets injured doing so but more so he just cant quite perform to the level he used to
How exactly am I reaching with the "damaged goods" comment? If anything, I was simply cautioning dw49 not to convey the false impression that Grigson & Irsay viewed Jeff as "damaged goods."

I think you accidentally got what I said backwards Gavin. No worries, we all make mistakes my friend. :thmup: I also said "Yes, players usually retire from the game as a result of the body breaking down or mental preparation weariness etc. etc." I am fully aware that all bodies breakdown over time. Father Time escapes no professional athlete.

How exactly am I reaching with the "damaged goods" comment? If anything, I was simply cautioning dw49 not to convey the false impression that Grigson & Irsay viewed Jeff as "damaged goods."

I think you accidentally got what I said backwards Gavin. No worries, we all make mistakes my friend. :thmup: I also said "Yes, players usually retire from the game as a result of the body breaking down or mental preparation weariness etc. etc." I am fully aware that all bodies breakdown over time. Father Time escapes no professional athlete.

no one escapes from it , one of the few givens in life

1 last point: Every NFL team that signs an established veteran like Saturday performs a full physical & runs the athlete through competitive drills too. GB should have easily known exactly what condition #63 was in. I just hope Jeff's full salary is guaranteed this year & next year too. 

True Barry. I realize that naturally & I should have amended my original statement accordingly. Thanks for bringing that flawed statement to my attention. I appreciate that!  :D

was just commenting, not trying to be critical, i would of called it a flawed statement & never meant to imply it

As "bad" as he supposedly is, he would STILL be an upgrade over the bargin basement centers we have now. Yeah, our line is THAT BAD. He isnt coming back, but I really hope we go after a good center in the off season. And guards, and a RT.

1 last point: Every NFL team that signs an established veteran like Saturday performs a full physical & runs the athlete through competitive drills too. GB should have easily known exactly what condition #63 was in. I just hope Jeff's full salary is guaranteed this year & next year too. 

For all intents and purposes, it is this year.  It's not next year.