Photo

Jeff Saturday benched

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 MTC

MTC

Smells like a canal

• Community Moderator
  • 7269 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

http://twitter.com/j...205737587990529

Via Twitter

@jasonjwilde

Jeff Saturday confirms he has been benched as the #Packers starting center in favor of Evan Dietrich-Smith. Calls it a passing of the torch,

Is this the end of his career being a starter?

As0FtW6.png

Formerly known as ManningToCollie.

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind. Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 Captain Americolt

Captain Americolt
  • 2583 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

I hope not. Guy was awesome. I wish he went with Manning so they could both win one more SB.

#3 21isSuperman

21isSuperman
  • Community Moderator
  • 15176 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

I hope this isn't the end for him.  I'm not sure how he has been doing this year.  I know the Packers haven't protected Rodgers well, but I don't know how Saturday is doing individually.  Last season, he quietly had one of the better performances of the season on the team

When Bob Sanders executes a push up, he does not push himself up. He pushes the world down.
When Bob Sanders was 12, a cobra bit him in the leg. After 4 days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.
Tom Brady can throw a football pretty far. Bob Sanders can throw Tom Brady even farther.
Please make sure to read the Forum Rules before posting or PM a mod if you have any questions

#4 Gavin

Gavin
  • 18170 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

He is 37

#5 bavanlan

bavanlan
  • 1896 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Come home and coach!

Haters Gonna Hate.

gallery_46_8_186.jpg

If [our] O-Line was a poker hand, I'd draw three. - Smonroe (9/26/12)

#6 Gavin

Gavin
  • 18170 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Coach? Jeesh, we need a Center!

#7 Steagles

Steagles

Matt Overton and I!

• 884 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Didn't Irsay extend him a job offer in the front office? If so, I wonder if it still stands.

I am predicting 11-5 this year for the Colts. 

#8 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13674 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

Wait a minute...Jeff Saturday willingly conceded his center 1st string position? Why? His skills haven't diminished that much?

Has Saturday lost the desire to prepare every week & he wants to pursue a 2nd career in TV broadcasting?  

I don't get this move of capitulation at all.  :scratch:  :dunno:

"Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack." Sun Tzu

#9 cmgww

cmgww
  • 1360 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

I think it is the end...especially if he himself called it a "passing of the torch". I hope he comes back to the Colts FO, maybe a strength/conditioning coach? Or given his work with the NFL during the lockout, something more executive related. Ring of Honor for sure! From UDFA to multiple Pro Bowler and SB winner. One of the Colts greats
In it to win it since 1992....COLTS fan first, Manning fan 2nd

#10 oldunclemark

oldunclemark
  • 17649 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Wait a minute...Jeff Saturday willingly conceded his center 1st string position? Why? His skills haven't diminished that much?

Has Saturday lost the desire to prepare every week & he wants to pursue a 2nd career in TV broadcasting?  

not

sounds like he didnt have much choice..They have no allegience to him like Indy had. Wish he was still here.

Sure do need him

#11 Coltsince4

Coltsince4
  • 754 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

His hearts broken because he's not a Colt no longer, The heart can only handle it for so long.

#12 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13674 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

notsounds like he didnt have much choice..They have no allegience to him like Indy had. Wish he was still here.

Sure do need him
What's QB Aaron Rogers perspective on this move? Did he approve this? He was very complementary of Jeff's intelligence as center once Saturday arrived in GB..Trust me, Rogers has serious clout in that Packers team complex. Why disrupt Center/QB chemistry now this late in the season? A really stupid move IMO.
His hearts broken because he's not a Colt no longer, The heart can only handle it for so long.
Personally, I thought Jeff wanted to finish his NFL career playing for 2 of the greatest franchises in football: INDY & the Frozen Tundra in Green Bay with the legacy of Vince Lombardi & the SB trophy. Strange...
"Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack." Sun Tzu

#13 Gavin

Gavin
  • 18170 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

notsounds like he didnt have much choice..They have no allegience to him like Indy had. Wish he was still here.

Sure do need him

Would be nice if we had the Zone Blocking scheme still in place but we moved to Man Blocking, Not saying he would fit but at 37 it would not be worth it, just draft a Center if thats the case, Travis Frederic

#14 Balzer40

Balzer40
  • 6664 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Im not sure who some of you guys were watching the last couple of yrs. but Saturday's level of play has most certainly dropped off. I hope he comes back here and coaches or takes a front office job. He is extremely intelligent, but he don't have the skills to perform anymore.

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today". -- James Dean.

#15 MAC

MAC

"It was a dark and stormy night"

• 4767 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

"Jeff Saturday confirms he has been benched"

Unfortunately I doubt that "willingly conceded", "lost his desire", and "capitulation" enter into it.

#16 Susie Q

Susie Q

If You Knew Susie

• 2859 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

He is 37

If age was an issue why did they even sign him? :???: :dunno:

#17 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13674 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

"Jeff Saturday confirms he has been benched"

Unfortunately I doubt that "willingly conceded", "lost his desire", and "capitulation" enter into it.

Granted, I am not in team meetings everyday & I have no idea how complicated GB's offensive schemes are...However, Jeff is not a fool. Unless he is injury prone, re-insert him ASAP. I don't buy this lame "passing the torch" excuse at all. Simply ridiculous.  :facepalm:

Jeff protected Peyton Manning, the most cerebral field general the NFL has arguably ever seen, Saturday can easily digest an elaborate or sophisticated playbook. What in the world is the OC & HC Mike McCarthy doing?!!

#18 Gavin

Gavin
  • 18170 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

For what his skills at one time was while believing or hoping that he still is that same player, Seahawks did it and that was with TO, I dont know what there motive was(Packers) but they had to believe he still had the skills because they picked him up and started him(Saturday). I dont believe it has anything to do with him not mentally grasping the offense. Line calls or corrections were on RG Josh Sitton I believe

#19 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13674 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

In the issue of full disclosure, I am extremely biased & protective of Jeff Saturday. Is that allegiance clouding my judgment? Perhaps...I have a profound amount of respect for Jeff...Saving & preserving NFL games for 10 years, being #18's right hand man in INDY for over a decade, and for being a humble, grounded, & great guy overall.

This really ticks me off...Fight this Jeff! Do not roll over & be the perfect soldier & team mate on this one please.

Finish your career on a high note. Thank you.

#20 MAC

MAC

"It was a dark and stormy night"

• 4767 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Granted, I am not in team meeting everyday & I have no idea how complicated GB's offensive schemes are...However, Jeff is not a fool. Unless he is injury prone, re-insert him ASAP. I don't buy this lame "passing the torch" excuse at all. Simply ridiculous.  :facepalm:

SW, I'm not happy to hear it either. Jeff was one of my favorite Colts, but I don't understand what you are seeing here. "Passing the torch" is just :blah: . Did Mark Sanchez "pass the torch" this week? The Packers have offensive line issues, and it sounds like they've decided that Jeff is no longer good enough. I have no idea myself, I haven't seen him play a down all season. One would think based on recent evidence, however, that the Packers organization knows what they are doing.

For some perspective, I co-incidentally was reading an article about Jeff in Sport Illustrated while in a waiting wrong today. It struck me that there was a passage about Jeff having been equal partners with Peyton in Indy - free to debate everything, and often winning. In GB, very simply "Aaron Rodgers makes the adjustments". Period. There was some mention of Jeff having difficulty adjusting to the changes. Half the man's value was his brain. Take that away and he's just an undersized 37 year old center. It sounds to me as if he should have talked to them a little more before signing on, and perhaps made concessions to end up in Denver instead, where they clearly had a need.

#21 dw49

dw49
  • 4090 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Im not sure who some of you guys were watching the last couple of yrs. but Saturday's level of play has most certainly dropped off. I hope he comes back here and coaches or takes a front office job. He is extremely intelligent, but he don't have the skills to perform anymore.

I'm glad you said it and not me. Hats off to Grigson and Irsay for seeing this.for seeing this.

#22 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13674 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

A good question Susie Q.

Jeff would have never signed in GB if he was given the impression that the Packers only wanted wanted him in a secondary role serving as nothing more than a sideline mentor for rookie players. etc. Just speculation on my part. I have no proof of this fact. 

#23 SilentHill

SilentHill

Next Man Up

• 3621 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Another great release/non signing by our FO.

I wish him well on the rest of his career.

“What he does on the field – he’s an assassin…Class with cruelty.” – Jim Harbaugh on Andrew Luck

"It's okay to be smarter than everyone else, but you can't go around pointing it out!" – Mary Cooper

#24 The Peytonator

The Peytonator
  • 2937 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

I'm sure he's just as sharp as ever, but his body is weaker and slower. You can't stay 25 forever.

He'd be a heck of an Oline coach here in Indy though.

#25 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13674 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

I'm glad you said it and not me. Hats off to Grigson and Irsay for seeing this.for seeing this.

There is no concrete proof to illustrate that both Grigson or Owner Irsay viewed Jeff Saturday as physically damaged goods. I'm sorry dw49, but that is pure speculation on your part. Until you get deliberate confirmation on that fact, I wouldn't run with that statement at all.

Jeff deserves the benefit of the doubt. Yes, players usually retire from the game as a result of the body breaking down or mental preparation weariness etc. etc. Just try not to sabotage Saturday's NFL career without confirmation please thank you. That's all I ask dw49. 

#26 Gavin

Gavin
  • 18170 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

There is no concrete proof to illustrate that both Grigson or Owner Irsay viewed Jeff Saturday as physically damaged goods. I'm sorry dw49, but that is pure speculation on your part. Until you get deliberate confirmation on that fact, I wouldn't run with that statement at all.

Jeff deserves the benefit of the doubt. Yes, players usually retire from the game as a result of the body breaking down or mental preparation weariness etc. etc. Just try not to sabotage Saturday's NFL career without confirmation please thank you. That's all I ask dw49. 

I think your reaching here with the damage good comment, No one is saying he is damaged goods, who knows if he is injured or not, but he is 37 and obviously the body breaks down at some point and sometimes it breaks down faster then others especially in his line of work, that does not mean he is injured or "damaged goods" that just means his body just cant take the beating like it used to not that it gets injured doing so but more so he just cant quite perform to the level he used to

#27 -JJ-

-JJ-
  • Forum Moderator
  • 2765 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

He is 37

impressive!

#28 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13674 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

SW, I'm not happy to hear it either. Jeff was one of my favorite Colts, but I don't understand what you are seeing here. "Passing the torch" is just :blah: . Did Mark Sanchez "pass the torch" this week? The Packers have offensive line issues, and it sounds like they've decided that Jeff is no longer good enough. I have no idea myself, I haven't seen him play a down all season. One would think based on recent evidence, however, that the Packers organization knows what they are doing.

For some perspective, I co-incidentally was reading an article about Jeff in Sport Illustrated while in a waiting wrong today. It struck me that there was a passage about Jeff having been equal partners with Peyton in Indy - free to debate everything, and often winning. In GB, very simply "Aaron Rodgers makes the adjustments". Period. There was some mention of Jeff having difficulty adjusting to the changes. Half the man's value was his brain. Take that away and he's just an undersized 37 year old center. It sounds to me as if he should have talked to them a little more before signing on, and perhaps made concessions to end up in Denver instead, where they clearly had a need.

I'm not viewing the world with rose colored glasses if that's what you are asking me. "Passing the Torch"= "Passing You Over" or "Bypassing You" I know that & I understand that. But, to say that, the GB Coaching Staff knows what they are doing is laughable to me. Sure they have suffered an onslaught of player injuries this year & are just now getting healthy again is accurate, but there defense has been lacking recently & Clay Matthews returning won't solve all their problems either. There is a huge difference between stopping the bleeding & make sound, productive adjustments in December IMO.

They are not going to the SB this year as NFC Division Champions I am pretty optimistic about that notion personally whether Jeff Saturday is on the o-line or not. 

#29 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13674 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

I think your reaching here with the damage good comment, No one is saying he is damaged goods, who knows if he is injured or not, but he is 37 and obviously the body breaks down at some point and sometimes it breaks down faster then others especially in his line of work, that does not mean he is injured or "damaged goods" that just means his body just cant take the beating like it used to not that it gets injured doing so but more so he just cant quite perform to the level he used to
How exactly am I reaching with the "damaged goods" comment? If anything, I was simply cautioning dw49 not to convey the false impression that Grigson & Irsay viewed Jeff as "damaged goods."

I think you accidentally got what I said backwards Gavin. No worries, we all make mistakes my friend. :thmup: I also said "Yes, players usually retire from the game as a result of the body breaking down or mental preparation weariness etc. etc." I am fully aware that all bodies breakdown over time. Father Time escapes no professional athlete.

#30 bayone

bayone

bayone

• 7005 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

How exactly am I reaching with the "damaged goods" comment? If anything, I was simply cautioning dw49 not to convey the false impression that Grigson & Irsay viewed Jeff as "damaged goods."

I think you accidentally got what I said backwards Gavin. No worries, we all make mistakes my friend. :thmup: I also said "Yes, players usually retire from the game as a result of the body breaking down or mental preparation weariness etc. etc." I am fully aware that all bodies breakdown over time. Father Time escapes no professional athlete.

no one escapes from it , one of the few givens in life

Forgive any typos, try to catch, but have multiple progressive disabilities

#31 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13674 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

1 last point: Every NFL team that signs an established veteran like Saturday performs a full physical & runs the athlete through competitive drills too. GB should have easily known exactly what condition #63 was in. I just hope Jeff's full salary is guaranteed this year & next year too. 

#32 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13674 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

no one escapes from it , one of the few givens in life

True Barry. I realize that naturally & I should have amended my original statement accordingly. Thanks for bringing that flawed statement to my attention. I appreciate that!  :D

#33 bayone

bayone

bayone

• 7005 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

True Barry. I realize that naturally & I should have amended my original statement accordingly. Thanks for bringing that flawed statement to my attention. I appreciate that!  :D

was just commenting, not trying to be critical, i would of called it a flawed statement & never meant to imply it

Forgive any typos, try to catch, but have multiple progressive disabilities

#34 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 16726 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

Sad News

Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

#35 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 16726 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

Will be coaching, in a front office or part of the media next year?

Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

#36 The Fish

The Fish
  • 2420 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

Saturday hasn't been all that good for awhile.

Too bad, for him. Probably better for the Packers.
"My cats cat breath smells like cat food"

#37 Susie Q

Susie Q

If You Knew Susie

• 2859 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Saturday hasn't been all that good for awhile.

Too bad, for him. Probably better for the Packers.

My question is why didn't they do that earlier than the last 2 games of the season and if they worked him out before signing him why did they sign him? :dunno:

#38 cmgww

cmgww
  • 1360 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

As "bad" as he supposedly is, he would STILL be an upgrade over the bargin basement centers we have now. Yeah, our line is THAT BAD. He isnt coming back, but I really hope we go after a good center in the off season. And guards, and a RT.
In it to win it since 1992....COLTS fan first, Manning fan 2nd

#39 bavanlan

bavanlan
  • 1896 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

1 last point: Every NFL team that signs an established veteran like Saturday performs a full physical & runs the athlete through competitive drills too. GB should have easily known exactly what condition #63 was in. I just hope Jeff's full salary is guaranteed this year & next year too. 

For all intents and purposes, it is this year.  It's not next year.

Haters Gonna Hate.

gallery_46_8_186.jpg

If [our] O-Line was a poker hand, I'd draw three. - Smonroe (9/26/12)

#40 hawkeyes

hawkeyes
  • 1655 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Hes used to playing indoors - just too cold for him up there to play this time of the year.   ;)    The few Packers games I seen this year he seemed to be the same old Jeff to me!

:blueshoe: Lets Go Colts! :blueshoe:

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates