Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pass protection

oldunclemark

Its easy to say our protection isnt good..that's obvious

But it seemed they overloaded one side an we didnt react well...

Vic Ballard obviously isnt as good pass blocker as Donald Brown but he's a rookie....I wouldnt expect him to be...he's in there to run

we also had a rookie center and a rookie QB calling out protections..

Is this just a case of where we have too many rookies in key roles....

Anything we can do?

I think the best thing to do right now is what we are currently doing very well, and that's second half adjustments.  If we see they are overloading to one side, we make the adjustment to put more blockers there, like an extra TE or something.  Since Ballard isn't a great pass protector, we could also use him to chip block instead of being responsible 1 on 1 for someone.

In the future, however, I think we simply need more talent on the offensive line

I think the best thing to do right now is what we are currently doing very well, and that's second half adjustments.  If we see they are overloading to one side, we make the adjustment to put more blockers there, like an extra TE or something.  Since Ballard isn't a great pass protector, we could also use him to chip block instead of being responsible 1 on 1 for someone.

In the future, however, I think we simply need more talent on the offensive line

Cant argue with he last line..

Could we roll Andrew out like the Texans do with Matt Schaub.....playing off our threat of the run..

Or does that take more offensive execution ability than we have?

Would that just be getting Luck beat up?

O Line wise we have to remember guys like

Castonzo

Reitz

Satele

Mcglynn

Justice

Olsen

Linkenbach

Iajalana

and even Shipley (even though he seems to be adjusting better then the others in my opinion) were all orginially drafted for a Zone Blocking Scheme. Thats not to say none of our players can be in a Man Scheme but all indications seem to say many cant

As for our rookies they will be fine in time, Chapman is a real concern though

Part of it is making the right call to have the proper pass protection. The other part, and a very important part, is actually making the block. We were simply flat out beat at the line. They manhandled our O-line on so many plays that it didn't matter if the right call was made or not. Their defense lived in our backfield.

Done properly that play is to get the entire defense to flow to one side leaving a huge open hole in the field for a WR to come right across or behind, Its dependent upon a good playaction fake (which Luck does not have right now) all my opinion on what I see

Cant argue with he last line..

Could we roll Andrew out like the Texans do with Matt Schaub.....playing off our threat of the run..

Or does that take more offensive execution ability than we have?

Would that just be getting Luck beat up?

I don't think our running game is good enough for that yet.  And I can't recall us running the stretch play very often this year.  We do have the speed on the outside to make good gains out of it, but I don't think can be a consistent weapon

They lived in our backfield mostly thru Link and because Andrew Holds the ball because maybe he is afraid to throw quick because they knock so many of his passes down AND because he has a WEAKNESS of thinking fast and throwing Accurate.

It is on tape, D-Coordinators see it, they maintain pocket integrity NOW, blitz and Squeeze Luck and he throws High, Behind, Inaccurate (All Season). You can count on it.

And as we see, if you let him step thru the pocket giving his receivers time to get into open space, and he can see it clearly, he Fires it pretty good to an OPEN man.

Andrew said Harbaugh WOULD NOT let him throw OUTS. Why would Harbaugh not let such a Veteran QB, one of the best in 25 YEARS, not throw Out patterns???

They lived in our backfield mostly thru Link and because Andrew Holds the ball because maybe he is afraid to throw quick because they knock so many of his passes down AND because he has a WEAKNESS of thinking fast and throwing Accurate.

It is on tape, D-Coordinators see it, they maintain pocket integrity NOW, blitz and Squeeze Luck and he throws High, Behind, Inaccurate (All Season). You can count on it.

And as we see, if you let him step thru the pocket giving his receivers time to get into open space, and he can see it clearly, he Fires it pretty good to an OPEN man.

Andrew said Harbaugh WOULD NOT let him throw OUTS. Why would Harbaugh not let such a Veteran QB, one of the best in 25 YEARS, not throw Out patterns???

I do not recall Luck saying that Harbaugh would not let him throw outs. I do recall Luck saying that he was banned from throwing fades...

if you noticed in our second half come back, B.A. put Allen back in the backfield to block and went with a 5 man line and 3 wide outs with ballard and allen in the backfield to block. that seemed to help very well. and i have noticed that has happened a alot in the second half of recent games this year. but until we sign a couple interrior lineman and a RT this is what were dealing with this year.

I do not recall Luck saying that Harbaugh would not let him throw outs. I do recall Luck saying that he was banned from throwing fades...

Yes,  it was the fade.   They stopped roughly half-way through Andrew's first year and didn't come back until sometime the following year.     I doubt it was a 'ban',  though,  was the word that Luck used in the Gruden special.

After all,   it was Harbaugh and the coaching staff who called the plays.   They stopped calling them as Luck just didn't throw the pass at that well.    But, they came back slowly but sure. 

I remember Archie telling a story about Peyton his rookie year when he called him and said how you doing son and Peyton said "dad no one's open".  It takes time to learn what open is in the NFL.  That could be why Luck holds the ball so long.  He wants to avoid the big mistake.  I would guess like Peyton that will go away in time, it has to for him to live up to all his expectations.  That and as we all know the Colts like to go down the field and it takes a little bit of time for the WRs to go down the field but I would agree with you some of those sacks are a product of Luck just hanging on to the ball too long. 

I just read an article by Kuharsky on ESPN talking about Luck calling most of the pass protections.

Personally I don't think Luck should be calling the protections because he is a rookie and already has a whole bunch on his plate.

I feel like this entire year has been Luck's over filled plate. The might be cause for the missed protections and constant mistakes by the offense.

I just read an article by Kuharsky on ESPN talking about Luck calling most of the pass protections.

Personally I don't think Luck should be calling the protections because he is a rookie and already has a whole bunch on his plate.

I feel like this entire year has been Luck's over filled plate. The might be cause for the missed protections and constant mistakes by the offense.

And very well ought to lead to Luck being better faster. I'll take the mistakes and the 9-5 record in a year we were told to expect suckage, and am anxious to see where this team is in the next couple years.

And very well ought to lead to Luck being better faster. I'll take the mistakes and the 9-5 record in a year we were told to expect suckage, and am anxious to see where this team is in the next couple years.

This has been an interesting ride and it has been exciting. 

I would just think that he would have a lot less mistakes by just easing him in instead of throwing the kitchen sink at him.

This has been an interesting ride and it has been exciting.

I would just think that he would have a lot less mistakes by just easing him in instead of throwing the kitchen sink at him.

I can't say what the outcome will be, but I except the mistakes this year if it means Luck will be just that much better. I'm not a fan of easing people into things. I excelled by getting thrown to the wolves at the start of my career, and I'm a firm believer it is the best way to get good at anything.

I can't say what the outcome will be, but I except the mistakes this year if it means Luck will be just that much better. I'm not a fan of easing people into things. I excelled by getting thrown to the wolves at the start of my career, and I'm a firm believer it is the best way to get good at anything.

I expect next year to be a bigger year for Luck, I would just be more afraid that this year would affect his confidence for next year.

Unlikely but it could factor in.

I expect next year to be a bigger year for Luck, I would just be more afraid that this year would affect his confidence for next year.

Unlikely but it could factor in.

In the long run, I'd like to know Luck can handle a tough situation, like getting thrown to the wolves, having to learn the whole playbook, and getting chased around behind a patchwork line... Survive and thrive... if he can't handle it, better to know sooner than later.

In the long run, I'd like to know Luck can handle a tough situation, like getting thrown to the wolves, having to learn the whole playbook, and getting chased around behind a patchwork line... Survive and thrive... if he can't handle it, better to know sooner than later.

Well great thing is, this year has been very tough. 

And he has bounced back well from most every bad situation. And has had many comebacks wins.

As Cory Redding said during the Packers game," I'm glad he (Luck) is on my team"

Its easy to say our protection isnt good..that's obvious

But it seemed they overloaded one side an we didnt react well...

Vic Ballard obviously isnt as good pass blocker as Donald Brown but he's a rookie....I wouldnt expect him to be...he's in there to run

we also had a rookie center and a rookie QB calling out protections..

Is this just a case of where we have too many rookies in key roles....

Anything we can do?

What protection???

This is the 2nd time this week you've made the Harbaugh/Luck/Outs claim.

It's been wrong BOTH TIMES.

Luck was not barred from throwing outs.      The team stopped throwing the fade pattern.     Those are different patterns.   Much different patterns.

I don't know where you got your claim,  but as a long-time Stanford fan I can assure you what you believe to be true is 100% false.

Ill offer up my 2 cents on the O-line...

I think there is a real reason this team's pass protection is worse than most teams in the league. I dont think its because this team has worst tackles than every other team. I think its because this team probably has the worst interior lineman in the league. I actually think there are several teams in the league that have worst takcles than us and probably give up as many sacks but their QBs still dont face the same pressure that Luck has seen this year. I know this sounds like Luck apology but I really believe this is the case based off what ive seen this season.

In fact this isnt something new in my eyes. I think since 2010 this has been a problem with the Colts. Manning had this same problem that season and Painter/Orvlosky had this problem quite a bit last seasn. We all remember the plays like Linkenbach getting tossed by the Chargers, etc... but those arent even really the plays im talking about. Im talking about the plays where the interior O-lineman allow penetration or get pushed back and allow the pocket to collapse up the middle.

Its the worst kind of pressure to allow.