Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

John Elway best NFL executive of 2012?

tonychen

per ESPN John Clayton: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8759452/nfl-john-elway-year-best-executive

For me the best move Elway made was to get rid of Tim Tebow. It needs lots of guts to sign Manning but many other teams showed strong interest as well. It required more than guts to let go of the "hero" of last yr and even get some value from a trade. Tebow is a disaster but he has so many fans, and it was not like he didn't win games for the Broncos. Imagine if he were still with them, what kind of chaos he and his fans could make after Manning lost to the Falcons and Texans.

He made one good FA signing that anyone could see would be a great signing. It's not as if Peyton is some hidden gem. Grigson deserves it, hands down.

I believe he deserves it not for signing Manning but for handling the Tebow situation perfectly without hesitation.

Compare a team that is/was rebuilding from a 2-14 record.....with 53 of 90 initial roster spots with a R (rookie) or a 1 (Less than 1 yr experience) to one that made few changes other than a HOF QB coming back off of a serious injury......(I still miss that guy by the way :)) The answer lies with the  :coltslogo: and Ryan Grigson!

I applaud Elway for the Manning signing.  I applaud him for getting the "Circus" on to New York.......but starting out with a 'virtual no-name.....you don't make it with the Colts......you don't make an NFL roster.....' ROSTER.......You have got to win the Executive of the Year Award.  We are not even mentioning our head coach being out of commission!!!!  (We love ya Chuck! :thmup: )

GO  :shoe:  :helmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltshorse:  :coltsfb:  :colts: !!!!!!

I guess here is how Elway won the Manning bid:

Dolphins GM: Mr Manning we will give you 100% control of our team.

Titans GM: We have CJ2K to help you.

Jim Harbaugh: We have the league's best defense and great running game, only an elite QB away from winning it all.

Elway: We made the playoff and knocked the Steelers out with a blocking TE throwing the football.

So Manning decided right away...

There are only a handful of names that are deserving of this award this year, Elway, Grigson, Bruce Allen in Washington, & John Schneider in Seattle.

I could make an argument for each of those to win the award. 

You definitely could FireJim.........I have to admit I am a homer on this one with needing a program for the initial practices and pre-season games....:)

You definitely could FireJim.........I have to admit I am a homer on this one with needing a program for the initial practices and pre-season games.... :)

On the other side of the coin, it would be hard to argue against either of those 4 too. Each of them has made some intriguing moves. 

Elway/Allen made the biggest moves.  Grigson made the most moves, and Schneider made some solid moves. 

Which was easier?

Building a team with 0$ in the pocket from practically no-name players (apart from a very few) and rookies, or sign a future HOF QB to replace a media darling?

I usually like Clayton's articles, but we may have different opinion on this.

I like Clayton as a rock star on the commercials better.....:)

per ESPN John Clayton: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8759452/nfl-john-elway-year-best-executive

For me the best move Elway made was to get rid of Tim Tebow. It needs lots of guts to sign Manning but many other teams showed strong interest as well. It required more than guts to let go of the "hero" of last yr and even get some value from a trade. Tebow is a disaster but he has so many fans, and it was not like he didn't win games for the Broncos. Imagine if he were still with them, what kind of chaos he and his fans could make after Manning lost to the Falcons and Texans.

Give Manning the credit for that, not John Elway.

I would venture a guess that Peyton made it perfectly clear that Tebow be moved out of Denver....or the FA deal was off.

We know better than any fans that Peyton doesn't like sideshows.

Anyway....Grigson deserves alot of consideration for the award, as does whoever runs the show in Seattle.

Rty

Ryan Grigson started with a skeleton crew. Who among us thought we'd have a winning team in Indy...

His offensive heavy draft worked....the defense held up ....and he's got tons of cap space left.

Has to be RG1

All he did this season was signing Peyton Manning. Didn't make any other significant moves.
All he did this season was signing Peyton Manning. Didn't make any other significant moves.

He signed superstar Jacob Tamme!

Which was easier?

Building a team with 0$ in the pocket from practically no-name players (apart from a very few) and rookies, or sign a future HOF QB to replace a media darling?

Well said HCF! Most of our organization's cap space was tied up in players we needed to let go like Gary Brackett for instance. GM Grigson used his familiarity with the Eagles roster to see the Colts through a cash strapped calendar year. Also, when following the NFL legend of Peyton Manning, he made the perfect decision going with Andrew Luck vs RG3 IMO. Luck reminds me so much of Peyton & his strong frame will be able to withstand opposing sacks & blitzes better as the years progress too. 

I like Clayton as a rock star on the commercials better..... :)

He creeps me out in that commercial.

I can honestly say that i am suprised that we are getting some love from Patriot fans regarding this!  (Much appreciated)

My vote goes to Grigson hands down.  The fact that Grigs hasn't stopped making moves is what I like.  Not to mention that all of his moves thus farb have us where we are right now.  The LBers are playing great!  Moving up to take TY.  I could say the only one i'm still iffy on is Fleener.  For him being touted so much last year as the best TE in the draft, I say that Allen is a better TE thus far. 

Honestly, I think its Elway. Every move he has made has worked out. He brought in Manning, Dreessen, Tamme, Koppen, Stokley, Porter (his pick six the first game was worth it). Wolfe has been a good pick so far, although brock and hillman havnt been worth it yet. He also kept Moreno when many thought they would try to trade him.

But you still have to love what Grigson has done so far. If the colts stay at 9 wins elway should get it, if they get to 11 Grigson should

I don't like nor agree with the whole "he signed Manning" argument. Everyone is like "oh, he has some real guts to do that". nonsense. Can you honestly tell me that teams like Jacksonville, Arizona, or KC wouldn't have done the same thing? That argument is null, it's not like it was some ridiculous decision that turned out well, many people would have made it. Manning chose the Broncos. The Broncos did not choose Manning.