Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Offensive Coordinator

unitaswestand

Unlikely as it might be because of his age, let's say that Bruce Arians gets a head coaching job next year.  Curious who you all think might be a good candidate to bring in to run the offense?

I hope we can get an offensive mind like Chris Peterson of Boise State University.   Someone who plays to Lucks strengths while being innovative.  Just look how the Patriots can change their offensive around week to week.  I would love to have that too.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few in Pittsburgh were unhappy with Arians when they had a stud D and a great running game, and won two SBs....when both declined then his offense didn't work as well. Upgrade our line and D and with Luck another year wiser, I think we will be fine. IMO he was the fall guy in Pittsburgh for the decline with their D, and o-line. He does need to adjust things, and I think having Pagano around for a full season will allow for that. How is Todd Haley working out in the Steel City right about now??

Losing a brilliant mind like Arians would set this franchise/quarterback/offense back 50 years.  

I assume this is mostly sarcasm but in all seriousness, if BA does leave it will be hard on Luck and the franchise. Offensive skill players were drafted for BAs system. I really don't think the grass is greener when all factors are taken into consideration.

I assume this is mostly sarcasm but in all seriousness, if BA does leave it will be hard on Luck and the franchise. Offensive skill players were drafted for BAs system. I really don't think the grass is greener when all factors are taken into consideration.

Your offensive skill position players are good enough to thrive in other systems.  I suspect Luck, Ballard, Hilton, and both TEs could actually be considerably more productive under the right offensive mind.

Few in Pittsburgh were unhappy with Arians when they had a stud D and a great running game, and won two SBs....when both declined then his offense didn't work as well. Upgrade our line and D and with Luck another year wiser, I think we will be fine. IMO he was the fall guy in Pittsburgh for the decline with their D, and o-line. He does need to adjust things, and I think having Pagano around for a full season will allow for that. How is Todd Haley working out in the Steel City right about now??

The Steelers' run game declined almost immediately after Arians was promoted from WRs coach to OC (he was not OC during their first Super Bowl run, that was Ken Whisenhunt's offense) and it never recovered.  Any scheme can be successful if it is executed at a high enough level but Arians' scheme is not one that seems at all conducive to the talents of his personnel.  The design of some of his run plays and the route combinations in particularly are awful.  Even with a good offensive line you can only count on 3, maybe 4 seconds in the pocket before you have to make a throw.  I frequently see you guys run plays where all of your routes eat up almost all of that time before receivers even make their break.  Behind a bad offensive line that spells disaster.

Todd Haley's not exactly a great coach, either.  The only time he's ever been successful was as an offensive coordinator under an offensive-minded head coach with a Hall of Fame caliber QB and perhaps the best receiving corps in the NFL at the time.  His reputation is not glowing, particularly when you consider his highly abrasive nature.

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about with players fitting into a new system should Arians wind up leaving....

The only players who might have to adjust would be the OL if they changed from Man/Power blocking to more of a zone blocking scheme.  

Otherwise, Luck and the WR's and the RB's will do just fine.

Luck is way too polite and respectful to challenge BA in his rookie year.   Just wouldn't happen.   I'm not even sure he'd do it directly in the off-season.   He might choose to sit down with Pagano first and gauge his reaction.   Pagano will have the most say about things.    

And, finally, to FJC....   I'm still laughing at your post....     but some here might not be sure....   so you probably would want to play it safe with posts like this...      in other words....  

Please use this!!     :sarcasm:      That will help some posters here....     :thmup:

Otherwise, as always....     I bow to your genius!        :worthy:

Arians won't receive any offers for a HC job... (despite the fact that his players would jump in front of a bus for him)

1) he is too old for most GMs to consider

2) his strength is calling plays for the offense, but he needs very specific personnel to be successful

3) any O-Coordinator under him have to be a puppet

4) he isn't a good game manager (time outs at weird times, stubborn with play calling, ect.)

5) he is too lenient to be a HC (victory Mondays for rookies?)

I love BA's personality and I can accept his offensive philosophy, but I don't really think he is anybody's answer at HC.

mean thread, I thought BA wasnt calling plays anymore! got me way excited. read his comment about how he isnt a dink and dunk coach and never will be. not good news, its not about being a dink and dunk or a go down field. its about exploiting the other teams weakness, PERIOD!! its about marching down the field and scoring. who cares how we do it if its getting done for pete sake. hopefully pagano can change that.

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about with players fitting into a new system should Arians wind up leaving....

The only players who might have to adjust would be the OL if they changed from Man/Power blocking to more of a zone blocking scheme.  

Otherwise, Luck and the WR's and the RB's will do just fine.

Luck is way too polite and respectful to challenge BA in his rookie year.   Just wouldn't happen.   I'm not even sure he'd do it directly in the off-season.   He might choose to sit down with Pagano first and gauge his reaction.   Pagano will have the most say about things.    

And, finally, to FJC....   I'm still laughing at your post....     but some here might not be sure....   so you probably would want to play it safe with posts like this...      in other words....  

Please use this!!     :sarcasm:      That will help some posters here....     :thmup:

Otherwise, as always....     I bow to your genius!        :worthy:

It just seems if you don't bath him/them in superlatives and gush about every single thing you get ridiculed, mocked, and treated with the traditional condescending posts that some are known for.

So I was trying on my brand new sheepskin hat that comes with blinders. 

I still prefer the sarcasm sign from The Big Bang Theory.

Big-Bang-Theory-Leonards-sarcasm-sign.pn

Well, I think i see  something of a sign back there. 

Eh, I don't think Arians would leave but I would like to have Chan Gailey.

He is a good offensive mind. He was the first person to bring in the pistol formation to the NFL. Also he takes unknown offensive players like Stevie Johnson and turns them into stars.

I would like Gailey or even Turner, even more than Arians. But I would like to see more of Arians system with more talent brought in. I think it could be a very exciting offense.

I'd actually be ok with this.

don't laugh..

Norv Turner.

The worst part about Norv Turner (from a pure coaching perspective) is that if he were OC and Pagano had some form of a relapse then he would be the one in the role as HC.

Hopefully that wouldn't happen, but it is something that would have to be considered. 

I was under the impression that rookies do not generally get victory mondays... as always, I could be mistaken (I am very muddle-headed)

I've never thought about it. They need it, though, as much as anyone else. It's a long season. Vick Ballard was talking about that on the radio show this week, how once you factor in preseason, it's twice as long as the college season. Then throw the playoffs on top of that, and forget about it.

As for your original thoughts regarding Arians, I think he has his upsides and his downsides, but I think those are very clearly defined at this point in his career. If you could pry the play sheet out of his hand, I think he'd be the kind of head coach that his players would love. Almost like Rex Ryan early with the Jets, but without the bluster. I think he'll get an interview or two, and then who knows what happens after that.

don't laugh..

Norv Turner.

There's nothing to laugh about. He was a very good O coordinator. Just a lousy HC. He won't be out of work long.

I'd actually be ok with this.

It's all fine and dandy but what if Pagano has to miss some time again and then Norv becomes interim head coach??? Obviously, I hope Pagano comes back for good but no one ever really knows for sure.   So I say no thanks to Norv.  Good O co-ordinator but lousy head coach.  I don't want to be the San Diego Chargers or the Redskins of the Norv era.

Your offensive skill position players are good enough to thrive in other systems.  I suspect Luck, Ballard, Hilton, and both TEs could actually be considerably more productive under the right offensive mind.

Sure, but whenever a new HC or OC is brought in they want to bring in their own style of players who they think their style of offense the best. Colts fans saw this plan as day with the transition this year and you also saw it in Washington when the Shanahans took over. All I'm saying is that if an OC change is made it trickles down to personnel on the field and impacts future drafts and free agency. 

Why not bring Tom Moore back?  Get him out of his "consultant's cap" and back in one with a horse shoe on the front.  He worked wonders with Peyton, I believe he could be a valuable resource for young Luck  as well. 

Because it's not 2004.

Moore was great, but his time here has passed.

Why not bring Tom Moore back?  Get him out of his "consultant's cap" and back in one with a horse shoe on the front.  He worked wonders with Peyton, I believe he could be a valuable resource for young Luck  as well. 

He's 74 years old. In human years. I don't think he wants to be a coordinator anymore. He said that back in 2009.

I'd love for him to spend a few days in the offseason discussing offense with Luck; he counseled him this past offseason. But I think his time as a day-to-day coach is done.

at laugh when people say arians won't get a head gig. have you seen some the coaching decisions that are made in the nfl? bum philips kid, norv turner, jim caldwell, barry switzer, etc... i actually think he has a decent shot to land a head coaching job.

Eh, I don't think Arians would leave but I would like to have Chan Gailey.

He is a good offensive mind. He was the first person to bring in the pistol formation to the NFL. Also he takes unknown offensive players like Stevie Johnson and turns them into stars.

I would like Gailey or even Turner, even more than Arians. But I would like to see more of Arians system with more talent brought in. I think it could be a very exciting offense.

chan gailey can't even figure out how to get cj spiller more carries. i may be wrong but chan gailey is one of those "innovative" coaches who never quite lives up to the billing.

The Steelers' run game declined almost immediately after Arians was promoted from WRs coach to OC (he was not OC during their first Super Bowl run, that was Ken Whisenhunt's offense) and it never recovered. Any scheme can be successful if it is executed at a high enough level but Arians' scheme is not one that seems at all conducive to the talents of his personnel. The design of some of his run plays and the route combinations in particularly are awful. Even with a good offensive line you can only count on 3, maybe 4 seconds in the pocket before you have to make a throw. I frequently see you guys run plays where all of your routes eat up almost all of that time before receivers even make their break. Behind a bad offensive line that spells disaster.

I do understand your point, but the Steelers still made it to two SBs with BA as OC, winning one. If that defines sucking to Pittsburgh fans, let me have some.

I do understand your point, but the Steelers still made it to two SBs with BA as OC, winning one. If that defines sucking to Pittsburgh fans, let me have some.

I suspect Jim Caldwell would have made it to a few Super Bowls if he had Dick LeBeau on staff with the kind of defensive personnel the Steelers have had for those runs.

chan gailey can't even figure out how to get cj spiller more carries. i may be wrong but chan gailey is one of those "innovative" coaches who never quite lives up to the billing.

Hard to give more carries to your feature back when their defense gets demolished nearly every game. 

And Gailey has Fitzpatrick as his QB. I would like to see what he could do with somebody actually talented like Luck.

Anybody that has coached with the Bills at some point and got fired, have turned out to be decent coordinators. Guys like Wade Phillips, Dick Jauron, etc.

He was on the Titans side line the last game. I think he's assistant coach for them.