Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bayone

If Peyton hadn't accepted Denver , Weeden might be starting for the Broncos right now instead of playing against them this weekend

7 posts in this topic

Elway particularly liked the fact Weeden already understood what it took to be a professional athlete and thought that would serve Weeden well in the inevitable struggles that come on the job.

But when Manning said yes, Weeden no longer fit their profile for a developmental prospect. He turned 29 this season, and for him to wait several years behind Manning didn't make sense.

So, the Broncos looked at the youngest quarterback on the board after Manning signed because they also liked Brock Osweiler's size, arm strength and swagger. He was just 21 at the time of the draft.

Even if Manning plays four years with the Broncos, the team will still have a quarterback prospect who is just 25 who has been schooled at the University of Manning for several seasons.

Read more:Broncos to get look at their "almost" quarterback in Brandon Weeden - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22217358/broncos-get-look-at-their-almost-quarterback-brandon#ixzz2FVf97v1m

SPEAKING OF DRAFTING

Elway, Scouts Begin Draft Prep

“We’re in the process,” Elway said. “The scouts are in today. They start the meetings this morning. Who’s No. 1? You’ll have to find out later. It’s too early to give you the old who’s No. 1. The scouts will be here this whole week and the first run at the board will be finished by the end of the week. We’ll have 320 guys up on the board that are draftable at this point in time.”

“This process is going to change several times,” Elway said. “This is the first shot at it, get it up on the board. It’s kind of exciting to see the names up there, knowing that the draft is not that far away.”

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/elway-scouts-begin-draft-prep/

1 person likes this

If they really got Weeden, the biggest problem would not be Weeden's game. Instead it would be a huge headache to deal with Tebow situation. The guy totally ruined a servicable QB in Kyle Orton, and it took the greatest QB of all time the best regular season winning streak since 1998 for Denver to completely make the case for getting rid of him. Now he has destroyed Mark Sanchez's little confidence built from 2 deep playoff runs. He really has some magics.

I don't think Brandon Weeden is that good of a QB, but I still think the 49ers would have been a better place for Peyton to go, but I don't know if he and Harbaugh would have got along the best. Tougher division too.

If they really got Weeden, the biggest problem would not be Weeden's game. Instead it would be a huge headache to deal with Tebow situation. The guy totally ruined a servicable QB in Kyle Orton, and it took the greatest QB of all time the best regular season winning streak since 1998 for Denver to completely make the case for getting rid of him. Now he has destroyed Mark Sanchez's little confidence built from 2 deep playoff runs. He really has some magics.

Orton played horribly and Tebow saved the Broncos season. Sanchez was never a good player, even before Tebow came along, and there have been reports of his over confidence to the point of cockyness, actually. Tebow isn't to blame for either of those situations, he didn't ask to be traded.

I don't think Brandon Weeden is that good of a QB, but I still think the 49ers would have been a better place for Peyton to go, but I don't know if he and Harbaugh would have got along the best. Tougher division too.

I agree 100%. Not about San Fran being a better play to go, but about a personality rift between Jim Harbaugh & Peyton Manning about which man has more authority over the other one. I just never saw Jim & Peyton clicking on the sidelines myself. John Elway, John Fox, & Jack Del Rio trump Jim Harbaugh any day of the week IMO.

Jim Harbaugh is very intelligent & a darn good coach, but John Fox is better & Peyton is more familiar with him. Plus, #18 has always revered John Elway, a sharp football mind who speaks the same X's & O's language as he does. 

agree,that  would be a SB much easier for him but as SW1 says

I agree 100%. Not about San Fran being a better play to go, but about a personality rift between Jim Harbaugh & Peyton Manning about which man has more authority over the other one. I just never saw Jim & Peyton clicking on the sidelines myself. John Elway, John Fox, & Jack Del Rio trump Jim Harbaugh any day of the week IMO.

Jim Harbaugh is very intelligent & a darn good coach, but John Fox is better & Peyton is more familiar with him. Plus, #18 has always revered John Elway, a sharp football mind who speaks the same X's & O's language as he does. 

Harbaugh & Peyton Manning would each want more control & flexibilty than harboaugh would give peyton , Harbaugh wants it his way

Peyton esp wife would rather live inn smaller midwest, she is private , remember hid was having twins till after the fact, san fran would be to big for her to be confortable

But dont think fox is better coach, he is too conservative but is better fit as allows peyton the flexibilty he wants