Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians said some good things

Flash7

In his coach's weekly presser, BA said a few things that addressed a lot of questions that we may/do have.

Here are a few topics he discussed:

1. He was asked about Luck and the ball being thrown too high.

BA: It's a matter of Luck seeing the play in his head really fast and reacting faster than his body. His legs aren't properly setting and it's casuing the ball to sail. The O-line needs to provide better protection so that he can step into his throws.

2. The O-line protection against Watt was a difficult task becuase Watt kept moving into different spots along the D-line, making it even more difficult to set up the double teams. And when they did, he still beat some of the double teams.

3. He said that they had made a consious effort to have shorter pass routes. Obviously the defensive pressure did not allow for this to be too successful. He also thinks highly of Vick Ballard.

4. The team thought that after training camp, they could compete for a spot int he playoffs. The defense especially recognized the potential of the offense.

Here is the full presser: http://www.colts.com/media-center/videos/Coach-Arians-12-17-2012/4258930c-2ecb-49b5-a340-0f1f0f4f8b43

2. The O-line protection against Watt was a difficult task becuase Watt kept moving into different spots along the D-line, making it even more difficult to set up the double teams. And when they did, he still beat some of the double teams.

I did wonder why Wade did not do more of that vs the Pats, or was the Pats' O-line that good across the board. I just saw Watt lined over either of the guards in the Pats game. In the Colts game, he was lined over the tackles too, on either side.

I did wonder why Wade did not do more of that vs the Pats, or was the Pats' O-line that good across the board. I just saw Watt lined over either of the guards in the Pats game. In the Colts game, he was lined over the tackles too, on either side.

They definitely saw some weaknesses on our O-line and exploited it. JJ Watt dominated the Colts like no other defensive player has.

1) I think Castonzo has been playing with a ankle less than 100%. Missing just a little quickness and strength compared to last year. I hope it CAN come back to 100%.

2) LG has been constant rotation. Reitz may do it, How about a VG FA for that spot?

3) Satele has had good and bad games. We Run the ball with Shipley in, now a proven fact.

4) McGlynn is OK at best, an Upgrade as soon as we can.

5) We need a Rock Solid RT in our future. Don`t Wait! I hope it is Ijalana or our #1 DPic.

Those are good things to hear. Glad he's trying shorter routes more but its sad if the Oline can't protect long enough for even those.

To me, let the strong side TE chip for the checkdown while the RB is in for pass protection. Or, let the TE slide to pass protection while the RB chips and goes out in the flat for the checkdown.

The Chiefs have a very good interior push in Tamba Hali, so our O-line's hands will be full again. But he is no J.J.Watt to line up everywhere across the board, that is the good part.

If we cannot get our TE as a flanker, use him more as a checkdown, in addition to the RBs. But the extra RB or TE needs to be in there.

Also, run more shotgun formations for Luck to identify pressure better so that he can slide the RB appropriately.

So he did make shorter Plays?? Geesh our Offensive Line is Pathetic!!!!!

Secondly, I'd like to apologize for bashing Arians coaching. Appears he does understand we need a shorter pass game but our offensive line can't even seem to handle that. I have no problem admitting I was wrong. Guess Arians does care about Lucks Safety after all.

Like I said in another thread, Pro Football Focus said Luck was getting pressured or sacked in 2 Seconds. McGlynn and Linkenbach were there examples. No QB has a chance to be productive consistently with 2 seconds to work before getting pressured no matter what offense your running. Your barely hitting your 5 step drop in 2 seconds. There was a reason why McGlynn, Justice, Olsen were third string players last year, and of course Linkenbach

Secondly, I'd like to apologize for bashing Arians coaching. Appears he does understand we need a shorter pass game but our offensive line can't even seem to handle that. I have no problem admitting I was wrong. Guess Arians does care about Lucks Safety after all.

Yea while at the game I noticed Avery running all the underneath routes for most of the game, he went on a deep route like 3 times the whole game

Like I said in another thread, Pro Football Focus said Luck was getting pressured or sacked in 2 Seconds. McGlynn and Linkenbach were there examples. No QB has a chance to be productive consistently with 2 seconds to work before getting pressured no matter what offense your running. Your barely hitting your 5 step drop in 2 seconds. There was a reason why McGlynn, Justice, Olsen were third string players last year, and of course Linkenbach

This is all I have been saying all along to people. Luck has not regressed, the line keeps regressing and as a result of that, Lucks stats look worse and his passes aren't as accurate. I have no problem with people pointing that out, but the blame for it should not be placed on Luck. I honestly do not know if our O-line players are that bad or if it is the blocking scheme. I know there are a few here that swear up and down that it is scheme related, but if it was that easy, I for the life of me can not explain why our experienced coaches can't figure it out when there are armchair coaches here on this forum that have it all figured out.

This is all I have been saying all along to people. Luck has not regressed, the line keeps regressing and as a result of that, Lucks stats look worse and his passes aren't as accurate. I have no problem with people pointing that out, but the blame for it should not be placed on Luck. I honestly do not know if our O-line players are that bad or if it is the blocking scheme. I know there are a few here that swear up and down that it is scheme related, but if it was that easy, I for the life of me can not explain why our experienced coaches can't figure it out when there are armchair coaches here on this forum that have it all figured out.

Blocking scheme has nothing to do with getting beat in less than 2 seconds, the scheme would have something to do with running lanes and cutback lanes but not holding a block for a decent amount of time. That is on the players(who would be third string players on any other teams line) except for castonzo

Blocking scheme has nothing to do with getting beat in less than 2 seconds, the scheme would have something to do with running lanes and cutback lanes but not holding a block for a decent amount of time. That is on the players(who would be third string players on any other teams line) except for castonzo

I tend to agree with that, but you know, there are some here that have obviously been overlooked in the coaching ranks of the NFL for some reason.

Wow, he actually addressed the short pass issue. Hopefully we don't stray too far away from this.

Many of us have been trying to say the check downs are now being run and routes are less vertical, but the O line still isn't getting their job done.  They never win one on one, and sometimes an elite (like Watt) quickly beats a double team too.  We take what the D and our o line allow.  too short of passes will not move the chains.  and keeps all 11 d players up close for better run support.

Yea while at the game I noticed Avery running all the underneath routes for most of the game, he went on a deep route like 3 times the whole game

And this is the sad part. Avery's strength is his speed and deeper routes, not short route check downs.  (I think T.Y. can do it fairly well, though) We handicap our skill positions to make up for the least athletic members of the squad not doing their jobs.  Yet, we are 9-5 and virtually a lock to move into the post season.

Since Detroit, we've seen many more quick hitting routes, screens, dumpoffs, etc.  I have to say Luck's slants are generally pretty ugly though.  They could use quite a bit of work in that department.  And yes, the O-line is pathetic.  Luck's being hit on practically everything, 3 step drops included.  

Ok, well great. Glad to hear Arians is at least addressing the issues of some of the team's problems.

My only problem is why not try to run the no-huddle offense. I think we have the speed to do it and that will help the offensive line to better handle the rush because that will slow the defense down. And when we have run the no-huddle, we have been quite effective.

I am still not sold Arians because he can all he wants, but actually doing it is another thing. 

I agree with OP that Arians said some good things. Now let's go out there and win a playoff spot!

We just need to go max. protect with 2 TEs at the line of scrimmage all the time with an RB as well and use only 2 WRs for about 60% of our plays. Ask T.Y. to play outside more often when those one-on-ones appear and rotate him with Avery.

Still going to get interior pressure with less receiving targets

Wow, Arians says we had short plays down up for this game, but a few 'chunk' plays were wide open down the field, and O-line could not hold up long enough for Luck to deliver the throws.

Says they readjusted goals, now that division is out of the picture. Now it is just get in the playoffs.  Just win next week in a hostile environment. He says KC is one of the top Defenses in the league, talent and scheme wise.

Watt was all over the Pats Online..they did an analysis on ESPN...they schemed for every position...he was gettin chipped by the TE from the outside and doubled from the inside, but he was still knocking Brady down all night...just didnt get any sacks

Still going to get interior pressure with less receiving targets

That is when you design runs with wham blocks from TEs and/or pulling guards. Eventually, they will pressure less and you can take shots down the field.

But the problem is that we can do so many more things with zone blocking, I dont like our blocking schemes either. The options are limited with our current blocking schemes for boot legs and rollouts etc.

Seconded, I'd still like to see some more bootleg and creativity in the PA (if we can't block em let's fool them :P). But at least he's saying the things I want to hear as a fan right now. 

Seconded, I'd still like to see some more bootleg and creativity in the PA (if we can't block em let's fool them :P). But at least he's saying the things I want to hear as a fan right now. 

I think that is possibly in the works. Why?  BA talked about interior pressure to the pocket recently and those hits being so much worse and worrisome than the one's Luck takes on the move.  BA sends all of the QB hits he feels are illegal to the league, and there have been quite a lot. Too many in anyone's view.  I'm certain he'd like to be spending less time sending in photos to the league and more on the O game plans and HC duties.

I have said that all year on designed roll-outs....bootlegs.....more no huddle......some throws to the backs.....Ballard had a couple of drops early as did Brown, but I love a nice swing pass.......

I would say it until I am blue in the face....but my face is always Colts Blue.   :pass:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!!!!!

I have said that all year on designed roll-outs....bootlegs.....more no huddle......some throws to the backs.....Ballard had a couple of drops early as did Brown, but I love a nice swing pass.......

I would say it until I am blue in the face....but my face is always Colts Blue. :pass: :coltslogo::coltslogo::coltslogo: !!!!!!

As always Brent I love the way you put things, I do wonder how much BA is saving back for the post season (fingers and toes crossed!).

As always Brent I love the way you put things, I do wonder how much BA is saving back for the post season (fingers and toes crossed!).

Thank you.....I have visions of some TY 'trickery' dancing in my head as well.......and some way some how......a guy by the name of Brazill may do something special......

I would love to go 2 minute....and keep the defense off balance.  What do we have to lose?  A playoff game most of us never thought we would see?????  Go for it BA....and Pags too....Chuck will be STRONG as ever!!!   :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:

I would say it until I am blue in the face....but my face is always Colts Blue.   :pass:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!!!!!

In situations yes.  Mix in motion to help in blocking for certain plays.  Run effectively. Get creative on the checkdowns/short patterns. But bootleg/rollouts limit O targets, and the D only has to defend half of the field (unless you are Elway, or even Peyton Manning who has also thrown backside across his body for a TD before, LOL).  I've seen swing passes blown up, and a quick out to Reggie Wayne recently netted -6 yards, and almost a fumble.  I'ts a difficult job, game planning and play calling.  Tom Moore used to say each and every game has it's own unique feel and flow.  You have to become tuned in for your adjustments in situational play calling and carrying out the objectives of the game plan.  If it was so easy, we'd all be in line to get the position.  :)