Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Castonzo

IrishColt22

I think he has talent certainly but the injury/lock out has obviously affected his development, as has playing a part a unit that on the whole isn't to standard. Every time though he stands out in a game for me is either he's made a great second level block on a run/screen play or he's whiffed on pass protection. That's somewhat unfair I know as you don't tend to notice tackles if they're doing the job but I do wonder if he wouldn't be better as a RT.

IMO he has played much better this year, hes developing into a solid LT just cant go against JJ WATT :clap: , then again no one can

I don't think Watt did much of his damage against Costanzo. Not saying he couldn't but I don't remember him lining up there too much.

I think he's a really good player.  He's gotten better this year which is what you look for in a rookie and I think he's the one guy we have on the line you can build around not really have a major concern about him.  I love that he is pretty athletic there were a couple of times where he was getting out and run blocking for Ballard like Glenn used to do for Edge and that's something we haven't really seen since Glenn left.  He might not be the best left tackle in the league but he would start on most teams in the NFL at left tackle and the ones he wouldn't he would start at right tackle. 

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/8/1/3212580/peyton-manning-was-reportedly-very-skeptical-of-colts-og-ben-ijalana Manning or Howard Mudd or someone on Ijalana quote (I did not hear Peyton say it with his own lips or hear him on the radio so dont know nothing much about it

That's a great article! I know everyone got on Jim Irsay for the moves he made. But I wasn't one of them. The firing of the Polians and releasing Peyton and bringing in Grigson was the right move SO FAR. I will say though it's still to early to tell how good Grigson is going to be. I know things look good now from him. But long term success is the real measuring stick. 

On that Christmas wish list thread I started and I though might have caught on I posted a wish list that would have made the Colts elite for years to come and the linemen we have this year are keep-able for back ups, they are not linemen for a whole season, if they are used once in a while then injuries will be able to heal if one happens and bring in a new linemen with the Colts 1st pick like Johnathan Cooper if he falls to the Colts, Now way Warmack will fall to the Colts and the Colts have nothing to trade even to get up there, I believe J.Cooper at 14 will be taken already and the next one would be Eric Fisher. And I suggested Jake Long but heard some rebuttals so if you have a better idea lets hear it, plus he would be expensive, one article I read is that he would be due somewhere around 15.3 million a year and he isn't worth that...

The Pats o-line I figured would be a shambles after Matt Light retired, but I give credit to the Pats o-line coach who reworked it and didn't skip a beat, I strongly suggest they give him a call after I hope the Pats are one and done and bring him here and also get Josh McDanials to do the offense since he would do what BA has refused because he's an old dog and won't learn any new tricks and change up to suit the QB skills. I know McDanials is being talked about for head coach again, but after his frack up in Denver he might not be head coach material. Coaches have to do what they have to do to win not keep their philosophy and get the QB killed with a bad pass blocking o-line, need to get him outside and throw instead of inside a collapsing pocket!!!!!

On that Christmas wish list thread I started and I though might have caught on I posted a wish list that would have made the Colts elite for years to come and the linemen we have this year are keep-able for back ups, they are not linemen for a whole season, if they are used once in a while then injuries will be able to heal if one happens and bring in a new linemen with the Colts 1st pick like Johnathan Cooper if he falls to the Colts, Now way Warmack will fall to the Colts and the Colts have nothing to trade even to get up there, I believe J.Cooper at 14 will be taken already and the next one would be Eric Fisher. And I suggested Jake Long but heard some rebuttals so if you have a better idea lets hear it, plus he would be expensive, one article I read is that he would be due somewhere around 15.3 million a year and he isn't worth that...

The Pats o-line I figured would be a shambles after Matt Light retired, but I give credit to the Pats o-line coach who reworked it and didn't skip a beat, I strongly suggest they give him a call after I hope the Pats are one and done and bring him here and also get Josh McDanials to do the offense since he would do what BA has refused because he's an old dog and won't learn any new tricks and change up to suit the QB skills. I know McDanials is being talked about for head coach again, but after his frack up in Denver he might not be head coach material. Coaches have to do what they have to do to win not keep their philosophy and get the QB killed with a bad pass blocking o-line, need to get him outside and throw instead of inside a collapsing pocket!!!!!

You want McDaniels? Ouch. Tom Brady made that guy. Bill Bellicheck made that guy.

The problem for us right now is protection, plain and simple. First and foremost, you don't go changing OCs year after year. It's a BAD plan. Just ask Alex Smith. If we bring in some competent guards and a new RT, we should have solid front, which will improve our offense's flexibility.

I do NOT want to see McDaniels on the Colts sideline... ever. That guy is a hot head.

He absolutely destroyed Linkenbach and McGlynn, though. My goodness... Someone needs to send those guys a Hallmark card.

I know we (you and I) have discussed this a bit already. However , I'm still shell shocked due to the Houston game. I've been watching NFL football since 1960 . I just have never seen a defensive player blow up a game like that. It seemed like he made a drive killing play in 80% of our drives. 10 SOLO tackles is insane . Then just toss in forcing a fumble at the 1 for a little icing on the cake. It's one thing not to have an answer for a QB , WR or RB in a game but either our O line was inept , our coaching staff stunk or that guy played the greatest game ever by a defensive lineman.

Castonzo was at best mediocre in pass protection the 1st 8-9 games. He had guys getting around him so constantly.

Luck was showing his pocket mobility to the extreme.

I think he had a physical issue as he has looked quicker and stronger at the point of attack.

We seem to run well to his side. All in all, over the next season or two I could see him being a top 10-15 tackle.

That is pretty good.

That's sort of like saying he's the smartest stooge.

He's good, and he's out there every week. Can we say that about any other O lineman?

That's part of the problem, no consistency on the line.

That's sort of like saying he's the smartest stooge.

He's good, and he's out there every week. Can we say that about any other O lineman?

That's part of the problem, no consistency on the line.

agreed. How can you evaluate the line individuals when the same guys dont play side by side every week?

I know we (you and I) have discussed this a bit already. However , I'm still shell shocked due to the Houston game. I've been watching NFL football since 1960 . I just have never seen a defensive player blow up a game like that. It seemed like he made a drive killing play in 80% of our drives. 10 SOLO tackles is insane . Then just toss in forcing a fumble at the 1 for a little icing on the cake. It's one thing not to have an answer for a QB , WR or RB in a game but either our O line was inept , our coaching staff stunk or that guy played the greatest game ever by a defensive lineman.

He was a monster, no doubt about it. But he's had similar games this season against other opponents. Multi-sacks, multi-stuffs, leads the league is passes batted, leads his team in solo tackles, etc. I think Sunday's game was the most prolific, where he excelled basically everywhere, and like you said, he came up with a big play on practically every drive.

I think it was a combination of our offensive line not being to handle him, a poor gameplan, and him having the best game of his career. He was other-worldly, for sure, but I think there are some things we can do to slow him down a little bit. The Patriots frustrated him the same way they frustrate Dwight Freeney. I don't know why we won't do those same things.

Terrell Suggs had a couple of outstanding games last season, similar to the game Watt just played. But not quite as outstanding. And more than that, a lot of Suggs' stats last season came in a handful of games (fourteen total sacks, but nine of them came in three games, and he was held sackless in eight games). Watt is just on a different level right now.

He was a monster, no doubt about it. But he's had similar games this season against other opponents. Multi-sacks, multi-stuffs, leads the league is passes batted, leads his team in solo tackles, etc. I think Sunday's game was the most prolific, where he excelled basically everywhere, and like you said, he came up with a big play on practically every drive.

I think it was a combination of our offensive line not being to handle him, a poor gameplan, and him having the best game of his career. He was other-worldly, for sure, but I think there are some things we can do to slow him down a little bit. The Patriots frustrated him the same way they frustrate Dwight Freeney. I don't know why we won't do those same things.

Terrell Suggs had a couple of outstanding games last season, similar to the game Watt just played. But not quite as outstanding. And more than that, a lot of Suggs' stats last season came in a handful of games (fourteen total sacks, but nine of them came in three games, and he was held sackless in eight games). Watt is just on a different level right now.

If Houston wins Sunday , we might not have 4 quarters of Watt next Sunday. Unless they want him to have the sack record ... I am however confident that we will never face him again with that kind of an offensive line (barring injuries) as Grigson will for sure spend money and or draft picks on at least a guard and tackle. I too , as you seem to infer , think the coaching staff deserves a big fat F for making some adjustments last Sunday. 

I'd have to agree with moving Anthony to right tackle. He looks lost at times, doesn't know who to block or needs help 95% of the time. Put Dwayne Allen at LT. He was doing his job on a number of occasions. Number One lineman prospect needs to start playing like it.

I'd have to agree with moving Anthony to right tackle. He looks lost at times, doesn't know who to block or needs help 95% of the time. Put Dwayne Allen at LT. He was doing his job on a number of occasions. Number One lineman prospect needs to start playing like it.

:scratch:

:scratch:

I have no clue what your seeing from Castonzo, but I personally feel he hasn't lived up to what we drafted him for. Nate Solder is looking better than he is. Anthony got to play his first season and was said to have better attributes . I haven't seen any of them yet.

I have no clue what your seeing from Castonzo, but I personally feel he hasn't lived up to what we drafted him for. Nate Solder is looking better than he is. Anthony got to play his first season and was said to have better attributes . I haven't seen any of them yet.

I'm not saying he's a rock at left tackle, but I think he's been pretty solid so far. He's a second year player. He held his own against some premiere pass rushers earlier this season, and he gets out and run blocks pretty well, especially in space. I think he's been fine. If we came up with a better option at left tackle, I wouldn't have a problem moving him to right, but as of right now, that's our most solid spot on the line, no question.

Nate Solder was picked just ahead of Castonzo, so it's not like we chose one over the other.

What's so strange is that you'd say he's lost or needs help 95% of the time, which simply isn't true. He gets less help than any other lineman, and like I said, he's been holding his own for the most part. Not a rock, not the best lineman in the league, but serviceable, especially for a second year player.

And it's downright shocking that you'd suggest that we put our rookie tight end at left tackle, the same rookie tight end who whiffed on a special teams block and gave up a blocked punt last Sunday. And he's a tight end, not an offensive lineman. And a pretty good tight end, by the way, so why would you take him away from what he's doing so well, to do something that he is simply not qualified to do? What would you say if we drafted a 6'3", 255 pound left tackle?

This is all just so weird to me.

Allen is a TE lol. Castonzo has been fine this season!!

Allen is a TE lol. Castonzo has been fine this season!!

If I understand Anthony is a LT, I'm pretty sure I understand what player Dwayne is lol I'm sorry but I'd have to disagree with you. Anthony is a lazy player. He should be a lot better

If I understand Anthony is a LT, I'm pretty sure I understand what player Dwayne is lol I'm sorry but I'd have to disagree with you. Anthony is a lazy player. He should be a lot better

Let's say you're right and he is a terrible player, even if that's true no way do we take our most productive tight end and make him a lineman.  Surely, I'm missing something because that doesn't even make sense to me.

Let's say you're right and he is a terrible player, even if that's true no way do we take our most productive tight end and make him a lineman.  Surely, I'm missing something because that doesn't even make sense to me.

Doesn't make sense but an argument can be made Dwayne Allen has been our best pass blocker on the season lol its been that bad most of the time, of course ya wouldnt make a pass catching Tight End an O Linemen on the majority of our plays but hey Arians would disagree with that logic

Gotta remember AC only played what 6 games last year with no camp? That's not enough to jump the rookie hump n he is still making a couple rookie mistakes because of it. Give him time he will only get better. AC is the least of our worries on that line

I wanted to say something....but was rendered speechless.  Dwayne Allen at LT is the most ludicrous statement I have seen on this site in a very long time.  Allen has an opportunity to be a very special TE in this league with a special rookie QB  I have to ask if your comment was SERIOUS??????  

If not.......Merry Christmas anyway!   :thanks:  for the  :???:  O.o  :rollseyes: ......then the subsequent.... :spit:  :funny:  haha !!!!!  Go  :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!!!!

You're aware that it was Allen was responsible for the blocked punt in Houston by not being able to hold his block long enough? Allen is a good blocker (IMO) for a TE but don't put him out of position and expect a positive result that's what happened in Houston. Moving players to new positions is not always a good idea, that's not football.

AC just doesn't seem to have a mean streak. A mean streak will carry you when you are tired or just not feeling it. I think he is talented enough and will be fine with better linemen. We could use a bit of nasty

though.

The same point I'm trying to make. I know Dwayne Allen is a tight end. I forgot to mention it as a joke, but should not have a reason too. It' called me taking light of Castonzo. Moving him to the right side and drafting or signing a real LT needs to happen.

The same point I'm trying to make. I know Dwayne Allen is a tight end. I forgot to mention it as a joke, but should not have a reason too. It' called me taking light of Castonzo. Moving him to the right side and drafting or signing a real LT needs to happen.
I'm digging all the sarcasm... and to contribute, I'm also digging all the extreme knowledge and expertise getting shared here for my reading pleasure.

AC is fine. I'm an architect, so I generally look at the OLine as a structural assembly... 5 columns that need to work together to carry the load of defensive pressure. When 1 column isn't sized adequately, chances are that the other 4 columns can handle the increased burden. If several of the columns are inadequate for the load, tho, even the most over-designed column will consistently fail under the strain.

We knew this line was a patchwork project from day one. Lets wait to see what Grigson does this next off season, but I'll wager AC is a given to anchor the line for years.

You guys can joke about Allen playing on the line but Arians said had one more lineman gone down in the Lions game I think the next step was Allen playing left tackle.  He also said had they lost Ballard in the Titans game Allen would have become the running back.  This tells me that Allen is good enough to do a lot of things so playing H-Back where he gets to do a lot of these things is probably his perfect spot. Also worth mentioning clearly this would have been done just to get threw the game not a full-time move but it's not out of the question in the right scenario. 

He's done more good than bad this year.

He's been, BY FAR, our best O-lineman. Justice has arguably been a better pass blocker, but Castonzo is phenomenal at run blocking. Especially when he pulls, he gets down the field and ALWAYS gets a guy. He's proving to be a good pick.

My grade for this season would be a B+! We found our LT!

I'm not saying he's a rock at left tackle, but I think he's been pretty solid so far. He's a second year player. He held his own against some premiere pass rushers earlier this season, and he gets out and run blocks pretty well, especially in space. I think he's been fine. If we came up with a better option at left tackle, I wouldn't have a problem moving him to right, but as of right now, that's our most solid spot on the line, no question.

Nate Solder was picked just ahead of Castonzo, so it's not like we chose one over the other.

What's so strange is that you'd say he's lost or needs help 95% of the time, which simply isn't true. He gets less help than any other lineman, and like I said, he's been holding his own for the most part. Not a rock, not the best lineman in the league, but serviceable, especially for a second year player.

And it's downright shocking that you'd suggest that we put our rookie tight end at left tackle, the same rookie tight end who whiffed on a special teams block and gave up a blocked punt last Sunday. And he's a tight end, not an offensive lineman. And a pretty good tight end, by the way, so why would you take him away from what he's doing so well, to do something that he is simply not qualified to do? What would you say if we drafted a 6'3", 255 pound left tackle?

This is all just so weird to me.

yeah, gotta ditto this.

Aaahhhhh......   one word. Emoticans.  ;)