Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck's Regression

Flash7

yall sit there and blame it all on the offensive line, yes they are bad, but luck is the one throwing the ball. Aaron Rodgers has been sacked the most times in the league, but he has a 66.7 completion % and a 104 qb rating, mark sanchez has a higher completion % then luck for gods sake, and sanchez has a offensive line with 3 pro bowlers on it. Tony romo has a horrible offensive line but he is completing 66.7% of his passes. Im sorry but no matter what coordinator we have. as far as accuracy goes, RG3, Russel Wilson, and brandon weeded are better. Idk if you watch the games, but luck makes some pretty dumb decisions and bad throws, he needs to stop staring down recievers also. being hurried is one thing, but the ball is coming out of his hand. Im sure he will improve next year with a better offensive line

You can't seriously be comparing Luck to a 8 yr. veteran, a 10 yr. veteran, and a 4 yr. veteran can you? If you think that don't make a serious difference in the way they are playing then there is no sense in continuing this conversation any further.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the comment regarding the Colts having no running game is highly overstated: the Colts have some solid running backs, but it's the failure of your offensive coordinator to use them correctly. It appears he limits their carries and fails to use the running game to set up play action, something both the Seahawks and Redskins do extraordinarly well.

To Luck, a lot of the problems arise from his mechanics. He does not form a strong base coming out of his hitch, and does not transfer his weight well from the back to his front. He tends to get a leg kick on his follow through, something both Peyton Manning and Tim Tebow do. This takes a lot of velocity off throws, especially when the arm angle has to be altered. That's why Luck has a tendency to float passes to the sideline when he has to alter his arm angle because he can't turn his shoulders: there's little velocity because he does not rotate his weight through. It's like a golf swing: if you pick up your back leg on your down swing, you're going to lean back when you make contact, which is either going to cause you to hit WAY behind the ball or get way too far under it to the point where it's launched high up in the air with little distance. You don't get the contact necessary because you cannot bring your weight down through the ball and power and compact it. It was actually Kurt Warner who made this same analogy some years ago, I think after the Cardinals had been eliminated from the playoffs in 2010.

You could be right in that regression may not be the best way to describe what we may be seeing with Luck, but there has been an undeniable statistical decline over the past 5 games. Prior to the Jacksonville game, his completion percentage was hovering around 5t%, and now it's below 50%. Again, I don't think it's all on Luck but we can't deny that a completion percentage below 50% is not a good thing. Thankfully, we're still winning games.

Well if your talking about a lack of progression, yeah I can somewhat see that. O

You can't seriously be comparing Luck to a 8 yr. veteran, a 10 yr. veteran, and a 4 yr. veteran can you? If you think that don't make a serious difference in the way they are playing then there is no sense in continuing this conversation any further.

Yeah but Joe Montana had a 63.2% completion rating!!!!!! He also had around 40k passing yards and a bajillion Super Bowl wins. Luck doesn't even have 4 Super Bowl wins this year, ridiculous. If he had a high completion % maybe he would've already won 4 supervisors and caught Dan Marino in terms of yardage.

haha

Yes auto correct said 4 supervisors, I'm just going to leave it at that to confuse people to death.

Besides Luck has 15 more pass completions of 20+ yards and 3 more pass completions of 40+ that tells me we go down field more then Green Bay and Arians even spoke about a term I dont care for that much especially behind this O Line (Chunk Plays) or yards down the field they missed do to not having the time to get the ball there. Now Im sure every team has those plays but that is kinda unsettling behind this O Line. Also I rewatched the Texans game today and there was definitly built in underneath routes in the Houston game (not for every pass but espically early on).

Yeah but Joe Montana had a 63.2% completion rating!!!!!! He also had around 40k passing yards and a bajillion Super Bowl wins. Luck doesn't even have 4 Super Bowl wins this year, ridiculous.

Personally I am let down that Luck has yet to have a game winning Super Bowl drive.

Will this kid EVER win the big one?

yall sit there and blame it all on the offensive line, yes they are bad, but luck is the one throwing the ball.

ok, how about 80/20 oline's fault.  LOL

and don't talk about how bad other team's olines are.  the teams you mentioned all have average olines, with more seasoned vets throwing the ball.  we have THE WORST line in the league for pass pro, and a guy who has only played 15 professional games.

80/20 oline fault.

Personally I am let down that Luck has yet to have a game winning Super Bowl drive.

I'm not sure that's what I was thinking, he always chokes in the SB and RGiii has beat him several times and is the true SB champion. This year however is Tebows year.

Could Luck be playing better? Yes.

Is Luck the primary reason for the Colts being in position to play in the postseason? Yes.

Will he play better against the Chiefs? I'd say Yes.

Will the Colts win a Playoff game? Maybe, and Luck will be a big part of that.

If I was to complain about the Offense in general, it's that they stall out after 23 points or so. That's been the case all season, so it's difficult for me to get into number crunching when that's all the better the O does anyway.

Pretty sure people weren't happy with Manning throwing 28 picks and having a low completion percentage (somewhere in the mid to high 50's) as well.  Not saying Luck will be as good as Manning, but we're putting a lot on the shoulders of our rookie QB.  Give him time to develop more chemistry with his offense and we'll be happy next year.

The way I see it is that if he's playing this "poorly" and we're in playoff contention, we shouldn't be worried about what's going to happen in the future.  He's going to be a stud, we're going to have a great team again (I think we already do) and Pagano's going to be holding up a couple of Lombardi's.

we're talking a rookie QB..there will be ups and down..like with Cam, Andy D, Matt Ryan...RG3,...all the rest

..considering the protection..and the all-new receivers (which acconts for throwing behind the receiver at times..

.....Luck may have expected him to stop) Luck is having an outstanding year

and even in the loss to Houston....there were no turnovers... under heavy pressure

I really don't think he's been that good these last few weeks, though there are obviously mitigating factors. I'd love to see him given the chance to step up and set himself in the pocket to get a throw off, and also be given more short passes and fewer vertical hurls downfield. I strongly dislike Arians' playbook.

I think the thing that changed, is that these games mean something now. He can't be as reckless & he may be second guessing himself a little.

Best thing that could have happened to him.

Next year, we'll see if the game slowed down for him any. Should help him gain some confidence. I wouldn't worry so much about his stats right now, but how he's responding to the situations he's being put in. To losing. Those are the things that are going to make him who we want him to be.

As long as he keeps his head about him & the team improves around him, he's going to have a bright future.

I would answer the question about Luck's regression with the answer to another question. Has the offensive line regressed since the beginning of the year? If the current play of the o-line is better or equal to the beginning of the year then I would say yes Luck has regressed some. If the o-line play has regressed since the beginning of the year (and I think it has) then I feel that extremely poor pass protection is really the reason for the drop off in some of Luck's play.

Chris Collinsworth was blaming Luck, not the O-line, says Luck puts his O-line is a position to fail. Takes way too long to decide & release. He said he has one of the worst "decide & release" rates/computations in the NFL and thus attibutes his very poor completion percentage to that.

Chris Collinsworth was blaming Luck, not the O-line, says Luck puts his O-line is a position to fail. Takes way too long to decide & release. He said he has one of the worst "decide & release" rates/computations in the NFL and thus attibutes his very poor completion percentage to that.

Collinsworth says a lot of goofey things, like most color commentaters do.  I sometimes think that they make comments without putting any thought behind what they are about to say.  As far as Luck taking too long, just how much time does he have behind that oline?  IMO he has very little time, I have seen Luck make a one step drop to throw a quick out to a wr and a d lineman still was able to get a hand on Luck.  The oline could not even hold the dline for that short amount of time.

To be honest, Big Ben should be swapping OCs with us.

Todd Haley's dink and dunk offense would perfectly suit Andrew Luck and this OL, and Arians' big play offense perfectly suits Big Ben's style of backyard ball play.

Not a chance I want Todd Haley. That guy causes problems everywhere he goes and Luck is still a rookie and is learning. he is having one of the best rookie seasons ever, but i guess it's a good thing that we are critiquing him like a veteran

Are these boards able to handle Luck observations yet? 16 games of "walking on eggshells" every time you want to bring up how much he underperformed versus the hype. Meanwhile his numbers were comparable to Collins/Painter/Orlovsky.

Let me know when we can actually make honest Luck observations without a 3 paragraph introductory statement that says you are Luck's biggest fan...but...

Are these boards able to handle Luck observations yet? 16 games of "walking on eggshells" every time you want to bring up how much he underperformed versus the hype. Meanwhile his numbers were comparable to Collins/Painter/Orlovsky.

Let me know when we can actually make honest Luck observations without a 3 paragraph introductory statement that says you are Luck's biggest fan...but...

Lol that the only honest Luck observations involve bashing and belittling.

Meanwhile the vast majority of people offer pretty insightful observations without resorting to such things. Strange.

Will he ever get the monkey off his back? He's only got 18 years to do it and he's not getting any younger. He left the Stanford faithful to chase rings in Indy, he better start winning them now or suffer the fate of LeBron James. No loyalty or rings. We should trade him for that USC kid, Matt Barkley.