Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

rest or not to rest

CR91

41 members have voted

1. 1. do we rest our starters

• yes
    • no

No...12 will need as much playing as possible heading into the playoffs. I don't really believe in the whole resting thing, players can get rusty sometimes. If Arians feels as though 12 is facing too much pressure in the pocket or is hit more than once, though, then I can see him and possibly RW getting pulled. That offensive line is going to be playing the whole game to get more practice, I'm sure.

I'll wait and see depending on what happens with the Texans and are they resting too or not.  I am not sure if we need to expose Luck to those hits if there is nothing to play for and frankly a week off before the playoffs might do him some good.  With that said there is something to be said for him needing as many reps as he can get this season as well. 

No...12 will need as much playing as possible heading into the playoffs. I don't really believe in the whole resting thing, players can get rusty sometimes. If Arians feels as though 12 is facing too much pressure in the pocket or is hit more than once, though, then I can see him and possibly RW getting pulled. That offensive line is going to be playing the whole game to get more practice, I'm sure.

you think the texans would rest

you think the texans would rest

Knowing our overly conservative coach, I think it is very possible. But considering that he had the stones to keep the guys playing last year just to keep the Titans out...I think the starters playing is much more likely. Kubiak knows the past history with the Colts and there is no way he would want to give you guys the chance to wipe us out in the playoffs. I don't think he'll rest the guys, but I could be wrong.

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, December 18, 2012 - quote box only
Hidden by Coltssouth, December 18, 2012 - quote box only
How dare you speak of such things until the game with the Chiefs is over.

We must focus 100% on the Kansas City Chiefs and the unique challenges they provide!!!!!!!

Knowing our overly conservative coach, I think it is very possible. But considering that he had the stones to keep the guys playing last year just to keep the Titans out...I think the starters playing is much more likely. Kubiak knows the past history with the Colts and there is no way he would want to give you guys the chance to wipe us out in the playoffs. I don't think he'll rest the guys, but I could be wrong.

i think it being a division game might be what pushes the scale. i doubt either team would not wanna play in a rivalry game, but its up to the coaches

i think it being a division game might be what pushes the scale. i doubt either team would not wanna play in a rivalry game, but its up to the coaches

Exactly, especially when their is pride on the line. The Texans will want to win for the first time ever in Indianapolis and the Colts will want to get back at little brother and ruin his chances at a first round bye. Whether the starters play or not, it is going to be an emotional, highly charged and entertaining game to watch. Unless, like you said, the coaches decide to throw the third-stringers in... :bored:  haha

Oops my bad, double post...move along now, nothing to see here... :shifty:
Edited by QwizBoy

This is a young team that has yet to play a complete game.  They need as much practice/playing time as possible.

I do agree with that but I also don't think it does them any good to have Luck out there getting pounded like he was trying to throw the ball today.  It could be one of those things where they play the starters and watch closely and if it starts to get too physical for their liking they might pull the starters. 

Hopefully we beat KC this week and we can have a debate about this.  It's so much more fun that debating if we should rest the starters against the Jags or not to make sure we get the top pick like we were doing last year. 

Exactly, especially when their is pride on the line. The Texans will want to win for the first time ever in Indianapolis and the Colts will want to get back at little brother and ruin his chances at a first round bye. Whether the starters play or not, it is going to be an emotional, highly charged and entertaining game to watch. Unless, like you said, the coaches decide to throw the third-stringers in... :bored:  haha

oh i have bad nightmares of third stringers from years past. not pretty :sigh:

oh i have bad nightmares of third stringers from years past. not pretty :sigh:

Hahaha so do I. The Jets kept us out that year too...at least you guys got back at them in the playoffs. I'm sure PM still thinks about that nearly undefeated season as well.

This team is built differently than the Colts teams of the past. We aren't such a timing offense and soft defense. For these reasons I think resting would be okay for our guys. Not the whole game, but probably the second half. We seem to be getting pretty beat up so I'd hate to lose any more important guys.

Would the return of Pagano really include resting the final game or a few key guys? Well I can understand if they are hurting but thats it.

In all honesty I kinda want this whole Pagano thing to EXPLODE in the WC round vs. whoever we play.

I miss Chuck. I do believe 100% this team could be an inspired playoff team for a round or two.

Would the return of Pagano really include resting the final game or a few key guys? Well I can understand if they are hurting but thats it.

In all honesty I kinda want this whole Pagano thing to EXPLODE in the WC round vs. whoever we play.

I miss Chuck. I do believe 100% this team could be an inspired playoff team for a round or two.

I forgot about Pagano returning. In that case it would be strange to see our guys resting for that.

so say the texans win and the colts win next week. both teams would be locked into the 1st and 5th seed respectively which means our matchup in week 17 means nothing. do we rest our starters or no

Kansas City held Oakland to five FG's. They are a force to be reckoned with!

I certainly hope not. Always thought resting players was just about the stupidest thing a team can do going into the playoffs. Hated it when Dungy was here, Hated it when Caldwell/Polian decided it was a good idea, and I'll hate it if this staff does it. Momentum is the name of the game in the playoffs.

How dare you speak of such things until the game with the Chiefs is over.

We must focus 100% on the Kansas City Chiefs and the unique challenges they provide!!!!!!!

As I have said all year......one film study at a time!!  One practice at a time! One game at a time!!  60 minutes of football in all 3 phases of the game (UNLIKE YESTERDAY!)  

Arrowhead is one of the craziest atmosphere's to play in year in and year out....NO MATTER how BAD the team is......We are simply not a GOOD enough football team to rest our players.....let alone healthy enough.  We may be playing PS members just to play the game.  WE NEED TO WIN!!!!  (WIN AT KC A MUST!!!!!)   :pass:  :helmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltsfb:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:  :thmup:  :thmup:

This is an absolute no-brainer.  As beat up as they are and as often as Luck is hit with a fully healthy line, you do not expose him to hits in what amounts to a meaningless game.  Those that are beat up and could use the break, give them the night off.

This is an absolute no-brainer.  As beat up as they are and as often as Luck is hit with a fully healthy line, you do not expose him to hits in what amounts to a meaningless game.  Those that are beat up and could use the break, give them the night off.

Thanks for the voice of reason. :)

Thanks for the voice of reason. :)

I might actually agree with you guys if we had any semblance of a healthy line all year long.....There has not been one single game all of our projected starters were at 100%.  Now we have Shipley, Satele, Justice....out.  Reitz still is not 100%, AC wears a protective boot on his ankle.....Mc-Rib cannot move.....and Seth the legend Olsen just came off of IR 2 weeks ago......

Healthy.....never this year.  I guess an argument can be made that NO line is 100% at this point of the year.  :)  We are not even close.

They haven't the experience and haven't developed enough of a rhythm as an offense to take this route.  One reporter asked Arians why he didn't sit Luck when then the Patriots were blowing them out.  He replied that, at this point, Luck needs every rep of game experience he can get.  The benefits from a game of reps vs. a playoff caliber defense would outweigh the risks.  The Colts aren't winning the Super Bowl anyway, so resting players at this stage of their development would seem a bit odd. 

They haven't the experience and haven't developed enough of a rhythm as an offense to take this route.  One reporter asked Arians why he didn't sit Luck when then the Patriots were blowing them out.  He replied that, at this point, Luck needs every rep of game experience he can get.  The benefits from a game of reps vs. a playoff caliber defense would outweigh the risks.  The Colts aren't winning the Super Bowl anyway, so resting players at this stage of their development would seem a bit odd. 

The whole lot of that is absolute nonsense. 

Luck has been hit more than any other QB in the league.  Why you would subject him to more in a game that may mean nothing is beyond me.  The line has played together enough, in all their various incarnations, to the point they area really not going to gain any cohesion in the last game of the season.  But on top of that, getting Satele a week to heal from all his injuries outweighs anything gained from playing.  Same with Justice.  Same with Reitz and anyone else who has missed time.

And lastly, the team is sure as hell not thinking about playing everyone in a meaningless game because "they aren't winning the Super Bowl"  That is most certainly not their line of thinking.   

The whole lot of that is absolute nonsense. 

Well, I was being diplomatic in my response to your suggestion.  The suggestion to rest a young, hopefully Wild Card team full of rookies, at game 16 in their development like they are a team full of 10 year veterans who have locked up the #1 seed, is absurd. 

Well, I was being diplomatic in my response to your suggestion.  The suggestion to rest a young, hopefully Wild Card team full of rookies, at game 16 in their development like they are a team full of 10 year veterans who have locked up the #1 seed, is absurd. 

Yep. Reitz is a rookie. So is Satele. And Justice. Mathis has missed time. So has Freeney. The one rookie to be concerned about is the guy who happens to have had the snot knocked out of him countless times this season.

Also, we are not talking about resting with an additional bye week that the top 2 seeds get. We are talking about a 1 week hiatus. Big difference.

Like I said in my first post - giving some guys the night off is a no brainer.