Photo

Happier with Wild Card & a 2nd-place Schedule

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 Esquire59

Esquire59
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

My $0.02 here.  I'm elated that we get to go on the road in a wild card game.  What better experience for a team full of rookies?  Look, most of us acknowledge we're probably NOT going to get passed the division road of the playoffs.  I do believe we go into Bittermore and play the Ravens, we'll win (AGAIN) in that wretched place.  But this type of road game will do wonders for experience and confidence in the future and that's what we have to focus on.  My o/u on wins was FIVE.  We've doubled that (counting on at least 10 wins).  We have a top 5 QB already.  How good is this team going to be next year!!!  Lets get the butterflies out now of that first-time road experience in the playoffs.

Also, I'm elated not to have a 1st-place schedule in 2013.  No New England, Denver, Baltimore (likely).  This team WILL make a run at the AFC-S next year.  It'll be much simpler to do so with a 2nd-place schedule.  This also betters our draft position by a few slots. 

Different perspective, I realize, but its what I'm happy with. 

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind. Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 jvan1973

jvan1973
  • 11573 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

We play the AFC west next year, so we will play Denver. I think they come here though

#3 Coltswarriors

Coltswarriors
  • 2126 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

We play the AFC west next year, so we will play Denver. I think they come here though

They do. We'll have Denver & KC home, Oakland & San Diego away.

#4 coltsguy510

coltsguy510

Military Brats FTW!!!

• 1194 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

I can't wait to see how much we improve next season. I also can't wait for Peyton to come home. I also can't wait to welcome him and smash his team to a pulp!! :)
Keep Building The Monster Grigson!!!!

#5 Esquire59

Esquire59
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Sorry folks, you're absolutely right.  We do play AFC-W.

#6 Hendo12

Hendo12
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

I can't wait for that Denver game.

I'll be careful what I wish for!! haha
A Wolfpack Of One

#7 unitaswestand

unitaswestand
  • 1202 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

Good perspective!  I agree.  In a way, I am glad we will be a wild card team.  Not only for the matchup we get, but also with the 49er win, the Patriots likely aren't going to get home field advantage.  I think we can beat Baltimore.  After that, we might shock someone.

#8 chad72

chad72
  • 9461 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

Next year:

We will get the Jets and Steelers/Bengals by virtue of playing a 2nd place schedule, yay!!!  Other than the AFC East, I do not see an advantage because all the AFC North teams play similar physical styles.

We play the NFC West, which is not a favorable matchup for our current O-line, hopefully we have a lot of upgrades by then.

#9 #12

• 740 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

Really, if we make it, it looks like we could have our most favorable playoff path as well - Baltimore, then Houston, should we advance.  Had things gone a little differently, it could have been Broncos, then Patriots.     

#10 chad72

chad72
  • 9461 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Really, if we make it, it looks like we could have our most favorable playoff path as well - Baltimore, then Houston, should we advance.  Had things gone a little differently, it could have been Broncos, then Patriots.     

We could potentially play Houston 3 times in 5 weeks, how weird would that be? :)

Those guys probably would love that, especially since it will be at their place.

#11 Stephen

Stephen
  • 2863 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

As long as we beat them its all good

#12 ConBro

ConBro
  • 1137 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

:D

:blueshoe: 2013 AFC South Champions :blueshoe:

#13 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 7945 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

Two words: Media Storm.

Houston Texans, 2011, 2012, 2014 AFC South Champions

#14 gbrads_rants

gbrads_rants
  • 570 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

I think the NFL gods want the Colts to play the Broncos in the divisional round....You heard it here first.

#15 chrisfarley

chrisfarley
  • 2288 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

#16 tonychen

tonychen
  • 912 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

I can't wait to see how much we improve next season. I also can't wait for Peyton to come home. I also can't wait to welcome him and smash his team to a pulp!! :)

No chance for Colts to smash the Broncos before Manning retires.

#17 MarylandTerrapin

MarylandTerrapin
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

They don't do multiple west coast games anymore.  Next year, we play at KC and SD - home against Den & Oak.  For the NFC west, I believe we get SF and AZ at home - go to Sea and St Louis.

The Most Interesting Colt Fan In The World - "Stay Thirsty Colt Fans"

AFC South Champions: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, and 2014 (sorry QuizBoy) 

#18 FireJimCaldwell

FireJimCaldwell
  • 6076 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Two words: Media Storm.

More like two words:

Forum Armageddon.

#19 Coltswarriors

Coltswarriors
  • 2126 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

They don't do multiple west coast games anymore.  Next year, we play at KC and SD - home against Den & Oak.  For the NFC west, I believe we get SF and AZ at home - go to Sea and St Louis.

You could be right, but I swear I saw in the game manual or whatever you call it you get at the game it said next year opponents at home were KC, Denver, St. Louis, & Arizona.

They could be wrong, I guess.

#20 lollygagger8

lollygagger8
  • 4815 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

It'll be bittersweet to see Manning playing at LOS in a Broncos jersey. It'll be weird to see all the ding dongs at Colts games with #18 Broncos jerseys to see who they root for.

#21 MarylandTerrapin

MarylandTerrapin
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

It'll be bittersweet to see Manning playing at LOS in a Broncos jersey. It'll be weird to see all the ding dongs at Colts games with #18 Broncos jerseys to see who they root for.

Never understood why they just don't wear the Colts Manning jersey.  I wear a Luck jersey, but still have my Manning Colts jersey as a keepsake.

AFC South Champions: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, and 2014 (sorry QuizBoy) 

#22 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 7945 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

More like two words:

Forum Armageddon.

Hahaha you can say that again. It's going to be a war that I will have to watch from afar. I may not post the whole week leading up to that game and several days after, it's going to be brutal.

#23 FireJimCaldwell

FireJimCaldwell
  • 6076 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Hahaha you can say that again. It's going to be a war that I will have to watch from afar. I may not post the whole week leading up to that game and several days after, it's going to be brutal.

Oh come  on.

I'm not buying it..

You'll be in the middle throwing barbs at both sides. :)

#24 QwizBoy

QwizBoy
  • 7945 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Oh come  on.

I'm not buying it..

You'll be in the middle throwing barbs at both sides. :)

You know what, you're right. I can't keep out of confrontations, it's almost my obligation to get involved as a neutral party. :)

#25 #12

• 740 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

I think the NFL gods want the Colts to play the Broncos in the divisional round....You heard it here first.

Unless Houston loses its final two or the Broncos lose to the Browns or Chiefs, that appears unlikely. 

#26 Superman

Superman
  • Forum Moderator
  • 17189 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Ehh; I'd rather keep our annual matchup with the Patriots going. And the difference between the Ravens and the Steelers is negligible; either way, that's a tough game. There's a big difference between the Patriots and whoever winds up in second place in that division, but there's not that big a difference in the AFC North. So we're really talking about one game.
LET'S HUNT

#27 SilentHill

SilentHill

Next Man Up

• 3630 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

No chance for Colts to smash the Broncos before Manning retires.

No chance Manning wins another SB before Luck.

Do you see how silly that sounds? Of course the colts have a chance to smash the Broncos before Manning retires. Sometimes I wonder....

“What he does on the field – he’s an assassin…Class with cruelty.” – Jim Harbaugh on Andrew Luck

"It's okay to be smarter than everyone else, but you can't go around pointing it out!" – Mary Cooper

#28 NorCalColt

NorCalColt
  • 739 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

They do multiple west coast games.  I believe you are correct with your listed schedule, because after the 2009 season the NFL did change the schedule rule to say that in future years, teams will travel to either Kansas City and San Diego or to Oakland and Denver when playing the entire AFC West, and to San Francisco and Arizona or to Seattle and St. Louis when playing the entire NFC West (see the AFC East and NFC South this season – the marriages between the teams listed above held true this season).  But the Colts will have multiple west coast games (at SD and at Seattle).  The NFL schedule change after the 2009 season was to not have NFL teams make four trips east to west, as the Patriots and Jets both played at all four pacific time zone teams in 2008 and complained.  No such schedule change was made for the west coast teams who head east.

#29 #12

• 740 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Ehh; I'd rather keep our annual matchup with the Patriots going.

It will only be the second time since 1969(the merger) they haven't played.  2002, the first year of the four division format, was the other. 

#30 MarylandTerrapin

MarylandTerrapin
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

They do multiple west coast games.  I believe you are correct with your listed schedule, because after the 2009 season the NFL did change the schedule rule to say that in future years, teams will travel to either Kansas City and San Diego or to Oakland and Denver when playing the entire AFC West, and to San Francisco and Arizona or to Seattle and St. Louis when playing the entire NFC West (see the AFC East and NFC South this season – the marriages between the teams listed above held true this season).  But the Colts will have multiple west coast games (at SD and at Seattle).  The NFL schedule change after the 2009 season was to not have NFL teams make four trips east to west, as the Patriots and Jets both played at all four pacific time zone teams in 2008 and complained.  No such schedule change was made for the west coast teams who head east.

Sorry, I should clarify - all non-AFC/NFC West teams no longer travel to the west coast multiple times when playing that West division.  In other words, we won't be going to both Oak & SD during a season nor both SF and Sea.  I highlighted your point about the west coast teams - the east coast bias in the NFL offices really shows up there.  To compensate, it would make more sense for the NFL to have West coast teams play more 4pm eastern time games when they come east.

#31 Superman

Superman
  • Forum Moderator
  • 17189 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

It will only be the second time since 1969(the merger) they haven't played.  2002, the first year of the four division format, was the other. 

Wow, was it that long ago? Time flies, man...
LET'S HUNT

#32 manning04

manning04
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Ugh we play afc west too... guess i have to debate going to the Oakland game too. some games are just better watching on tv.

This post is brought to you today by Qdoba!

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      25 Oct
    Skelly

When I look at the news all I see is sadness, sickness, and complete and utter stupidity. I think I might sign up for the first flight to Mars.

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      24 Oct
    Bogie

Retro throwback week for Halloween - Mercyful Fate and Black Sabbath. I forgot how fun melodic metal albums were.

Show comments (13)
View All Updates