Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Happier with Wild Card & a 2nd-place Schedule

Esquire59

My $0.02 here.  I'm elated that we get to go on the road in a wild card game.  What better experience for a team full of rookies?  Look, most of us acknowledge we're probably NOT going to get passed the division road of the playoffs.  I do believe we go into Bittermore and play the Ravens, we'll win (AGAIN) in that wretched place.  But this type of road game will do wonders for experience and confidence in the future and that's what we have to focus on.  My o/u on wins was FIVE.  We've doubled that (counting on at least 10 wins).  We have a top 5 QB already.  How good is this team going to be next year!!!  Lets get the butterflies out now of that first-time road experience in the playoffs.

Also, I'm elated not to have a 1st-place schedule in 2013.  No New England, Denver, Baltimore (likely).  This team WILL make a run at the AFC-S next year.  It'll be much simpler to do so with a 2nd-place schedule.  This also betters our draft position by a few slots. 

Different perspective, I realize, but its what I'm happy with. 

Next year:

We will get the Jets and Steelers/Bengals by virtue of playing a 2nd place schedule, yay!!!  Other than the AFC East, I do not see an advantage because all the AFC North teams play similar physical styles.

We play the NFC West, which is not a favorable matchup for our current O-line, hopefully we have a lot of upgrades by then.

Really, if we make it, it looks like we could have our most favorable playoff path as well - Baltimore, then Houston, should we advance.  Had things gone a little differently, it could have been Broncos, then Patriots.     

Really, if we make it, it looks like we could have our most favorable playoff path as well - Baltimore, then Houston, should we advance.  Had things gone a little differently, it could have been Broncos, then Patriots.     

We could potentially play Houston 3 times in 5 weeks, how weird would that be? :)

Those guys probably would love that, especially since it will be at their place.

They don't do multiple west coast games anymore.  Next year, we play at KC and SD - home against Den & Oak.  For the NFC west, I believe we get SF and AZ at home - go to Sea and St Louis.

You could be right, but I swear I saw in the game manual or whatever you call it you get at the game it said next year opponents at home were KC, Denver, St. Louis, & Arizona.

They could be wrong, I guess.

More like two words:

Forum Armageddon.

Hahaha you can say that again. It's going to be a war that I will have to watch from afar. I may not post the whole week leading up to that game and several days after, it's going to be brutal.

Ehh; I'd rather keep our annual matchup with the Patriots going. And the difference between the Ravens and the Steelers is negligible; either way, that's a tough game. There's a big difference between the Patriots and whoever winds up in second place in that division, but there's not that big a difference in the AFC North. So we're really talking about one game.

They don't do multiple west coast games anymore.  Next year, we play at KC and SD - home against Den & Oak.  For the NFC west, I believe we get SF and AZ at home - go to Sea and St Louis.

They do multiple west coast games.  I believe you are correct with your listed schedule, because after the 2009 season the NFL did change the schedule rule to say that in future years, teams will travel to either Kansas City and San Diego or to Oakland and Denver when playing the entire AFC West, and to San Francisco and Arizona or to Seattle and St. Louis when playing the entire NFC West (see the AFC East and NFC South this season – the marriages between the teams listed above held true this season).  But the Colts will have multiple west coast games (at SD and at Seattle).  The NFL schedule change after the 2009 season was to not have NFL teams make four trips east to west, as the Patriots and Jets both played at all four pacific time zone teams in 2008 and complained.  No such schedule change was made for the west coast teams who head east.

They do multiple west coast games.  I believe you are correct with your listed schedule, because after the 2009 season the NFL did change the schedule rule to say that in future years, teams will travel to either Kansas City and San Diego or to Oakland and Denver when playing the entire AFC West, and to San Francisco and Arizona or to Seattle and St. Louis when playing the entire NFC West (see the AFC East and NFC South this season – the marriages between the teams listed above held true this season).  But the Colts will have multiple west coast games (at SD and at Seattle).  The NFL schedule change after the 2009 season was to not have NFL teams make four trips east to west, as the Patriots and Jets both played at all four pacific time zone teams in 2008 and complained.  No such schedule change was made for the west coast teams who head east.

Sorry, I should clarify - all non-AFC/NFC West teams no longer travel to the west coast multiple times when playing that West division.  In other words, we won't be going to both Oak & SD during a season nor both SF and Sea.  I highlighted your point about the west coast teams - the east coast bias in the NFL offices really shows up there.  To compensate, it would make more sense for the NFL to have West coast teams play more 4pm eastern time games when they come east.