Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vick Ballard is a future star.

Dark Superman

eh you guys are right I quit lets stick with Linkenbach at RT he is a much better fit because he has played so much better 

as for Ballard hey I like him but he wasn't playing better then Brown pre injury and the stats showed it. Now that we have a decent blocker at Center in Shipley and with Ballard getting most of the carries what did ya expect? Brown is a very capable running behind Shipley. I like the guy that has not fumbled since his rookie year

Sorry, I don't think moving a center/guard, with no experience and little knowledge of tackle, to tackle is the right move. Link is a backup, and Justice is back next week. 

You know what I've noticed about you Gavin? I know you watch the games, but you only use stats to back up your info. That's good, but it's no where near enough to fully prove your point. Ballard has fumbled twice this year, he's also gotten 200 yards in the last 2 games. He's a better receiving back than Brown, as Brown has a surprising amount of drops, whereas Ballard only has 1. Ballard is also patient, whereas Brown isn't, and a lot of the times, you notice he runs into areas where there is no hole.

Ballard is here to stay, and I'm not going to start Brown over him because of 2 fumbles on 164 carries. 

I think it's foolish to argue who should start between Ballard and Brown.  We are using them all in a tandem/trio!  As long as all of them are making contributions I don't care.  Whoever our top 3 backs are next year I'd like to see them all make contributions at different times during the games.  Unless it's a day like today, when everyone sitting behind Ballard wasn't really prepared to get a lot playing time.  I will say I would have liked to see what Deji Karim could have done on some of those toss sweeps though.  Probably could have broken it maybe.

Sorry, I don't think moving a center/guard, with no experience and little knowledge of tackle, to tackle is the right move. Link is a backup, and Justice is back next week. 

You know what I've noticed about you Gavin? I know you watch the games, but you only use stats to back up your info. That's good, but it's no where near enough to fully prove your point. Ballard has fumbled twice this year, he's also gotten 200 yards in the last 2 games. He's a better receiving back than Brown, as Brown has a surprising amount of drops, whereas Ballard only has 1. Ballard is also patient, whereas Brown isn't, and a lot of the times, you notice he runs into areas where there is no hole.

Ballard is here to stay, and I'm not going to start Brown over him because of 2 fumbles on 164 carries. 

This.

You'd think a guy who watches alot of film would know a thing or two about talent and who should be the starter.

Where is these drops your getting your info from?, yes I do use stats in many of my debates but those are factual stats, I agree Brown runs into an area where alot of time there is no hole but thats not his problem (many of those times)his O Line could not open up holes. I agree Brown is not a real patient runner where as Ballard is a little more patient which as a running back ya have to have that. But 2 fumbles seem like alot to me in 164 carries (two less then Ballard. Hey I love Backs with power over speed Backs both in my opinion can get the job done if used wisely. What I should have said was they both are good Backs and I like them both BUT I like Browns quick scoring potential, I also think Brown dropping two passes is overblown. I believe 1 came vs Chicago, maybe both?

Ballard has done more as a rookie, than Brown has ever done in his career. Im not sure how this is a debate. And it can be argued Brown played on better teams.

Now I see a point to many of your posts but "Ballard has done more as a rookie then Brown has ever done in his career? Come on your better then that, statements like that are not even worth proving wrong. I like the 1-2 punch of Ballard and Brown and I admit like some others have said it does not matter who starts, I just happen to like the quick scoring threat Brown can be

Where is these drops your getting your info from?, yes I do use stats in many of my debates but those are factual stats, I agree Brown runs into an area where alot of time there is no hole but thats not his problem (many of those times)his O Line could not open up holes. I agree Brown is not a real patient runner where as Ballard is a little more patient which as a running back ya have to have that. But 2 fumbles seem like alot to me in 164 carries (two less then Ballard. Hey I love Backs with power over speed Backs both in my opinion can get the job done if used wisely. What I should have said was they both are good Backs and I like them both BUT I like Browns quick scoring potential, I also think Brown dropping two passes is overblown. I believe 1 came vs Chicago, maybe both?

Two came from Chicago, and he had another (doesn't say when). 

Now, I will use your logic on the fumbling issue and you tell me what you think. Jamaal Charles has 4 fumbles on 240 carries (1 per 60), and Alfred Morris has 4 fumbles on 280 carries (1 per 70). Those are worse stats than Ballard. Now, both have a bit of a fumbling problem, but will they ever be benched for their backup, no. 

If a player is putting up 100 yards or close to 100 yards, 1 fumble will not put them on the bench, and that's how it should be. Here's a stat for ya. Donald Brown has 2 100 yard rushing games, and has (I hope I phrase this properly) never had more yards in 2 consecutive games than Ballard has had in the last 2 games. To clarify, Ballard has 199 yards in his last 2 games, something Brown has never done in 2 consecutive. 

So, you can use your stats, but I could use mine, and I think I have more. Also, keep in mind that Ballard is doing this with a terrible run blocking O-line.

Both compliment each other well, but it's starting to become clear that Ballard is the better runner. He had 105 yards against a top 5 run D.

VB is a VERY good back, but this scheme if we choose to continue running it needs a back that can home run hit... meaning by scheme alone logically we need to keep DB.  Is this saying one back is better than the other? no in face its very hard to compare the 2. DB had a very good man blocking oline in college and ran like adrian peterson while he was there... has he ever had that here?.. no  VB is much more flexible but has never had his oline maximized in offenciency.  So Potential is there for both backs and I'm glad to have that type of problem.  Honesly though DB could have a career year if he was put as number 2.  He could be the Joseph Addai to the DR 2 back scheme we had when Peyton was here.

Two came from Chicago, and he had another (doesn't say when). 

Now, I will use your logic on the fumbling issue and you tell me what you think. Jamaal Charles has 4 fumbles on 240 carries (1 per 60), and Alfred Morris has 4 fumbles on 280 carries (1 per 70). Those are worse stats than Ballard. Now, both have a bit of a fumbling problem, but will they ever be benched for their backup, no. 

If a player is putting up 100 yards or close to 100 yards, 1 fumble will not put them on the bench, and that's how it should be. Here's a stat for ya. Donald Brown has 2 100 yard rushing games, and has (I hope I phrase this properly) never had more yards in 2 consecutive games than Ballard has had in the last 2 games. To clarify, Ballard has 199 yards in his last 2 games, something Brown has never done in 2 consecutive. 

So, you can use your stats, but I could use mine, and I think I have more. Also, keep in mind that Ballard is doing this with a terrible run blocking O-line.

Both compliment each other well, but it's starting to become clear that Ballard is the better runner. He had 105 yards against a top 5 run D.

All very good points and I agree with all ya said but here is the thing, Brown has never had those number of carries (240 for example) since college but when he had those number of carries (many more actually) he showed he could put up a TON of yards and touchdowns. I also get Brown is not a big Back and on top of that he got injured recently but Ballard is not that much bigger (7lbs). Also keep in mind Brown was putting up 4.8 ypc last year behind what was a revolving door much of the year of mediocre O Linemen. We both like Ballard and thats clear we just seem to disagree who should start. Nothing wrong with that. Doesn't matter either way the coaches seem to want to use a 2-3 Back rotation. I think used right they can both be very good no matter who is labeled the starter

If we get rid of Donald Brown, I for one would like to see Reggie Bush in this offense.  I think he would fit this scheme pretty well IF we decide to get some guys who will block.

I agree I'd like Bush but I think Brown can do all Bush does. Athletically they are similar I believe (But I have not looked at combine measurables in quite a while)

I agree I'd like Bush but I think Brown can do all Bush does. Athletically they are similar I believe (But I have not looked at combine measurables in quite a while)

I like Brown, but I don't know how much more time they are going to give him at 400 to 600 yards a year. Not that it's all his fault, but I'm just questioning the issue.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="krunk" data-cid="362288" data-time="1355699494"><p>

<span style='font-size: 24px;'><sub class='bbc'><sub class='bbc'>I like Ballard and he did well today. **My only gripe is he just has absolutely no speed**. If he had any type of speed he would have scored a minimum of two times today. I don't think he's someone you keep as a permanent starter without having a speed back in tandem with him. Great game today though I must admit.</sub></sub></span></p></blockquote>

*really?

Arians said Ballard reminded him of the Edge.

I'm starting to believe it. Just imagine what this kid will do with a good O-Line in front of him.

I've been saying this for a while. He's always moving forward after contact. Doesn't have that elite speed, but he's hard to take down and can wear on a defense over time. He just gets so much better as the game goes on and they keep feeding him. All of this completely reminds me of James and I'm all for having another back with his similar running abilities.

Arians needs to keep him involved and in rhythm. We have a true gem on this team with Vick and Reggie even stated he was the most impressive guy on the team. That says A LOT coming from Reggie.

The guy's a beast...

I think Ballard has clearly demonstrated he's much more of an every down feature type back.....

And Brown has demonstrated he's much of an a complimentary, change of pace type back.   

That said.....

I think we need them both.    More Ballard than Brown,  but we still need both.   Hopefully next year we're throwing a little less and running a little more using both Ballard and Brown....