Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson

Tark The Shark

True, the decision was Grigson to let a lot of players go resulting in that dead cap space.

I think with Freeney, he wanted to keep him on the team as a leader and to see where he would fit in the system. I think Grigson wanted him to play out the contract and see where Freeney stood as far as production, at the end of the year.

Unfortunately, I don't see Freeney staying unless he takes a huge pay cut.

I am more excited about the future with those cap penalties set to expire.

Yeah, I agree. I just think there was a more economical way to do that.

By the way, don't get me wrong, I think all of Grigson's releases were spot on. (I called them in advance; pardon me while I pat myself on the back.) The Manning decision wasn't his, of course, and that was the biggest cap hit. And all of the contracts he was making decisions on pre-dated him, obviously, but he did the right thing with Brackett, Addai, Clark, Bullitt, etc.

By the way, don't get me wrong, I think all of Grigson's releases were spot on. (I called them in advance; pardon me while I pat myself on the back.) The Manning decision wasn't his, of course, and that was the biggest cap hit. And all of the contracts he was making decisions on pre-dated him, obviously, but he did the right thing with Brackett, Addai, Clark, Bullitt, etc.

True, I am sure there was a more economical way to do things.

And yes, Grigson didn't make the choice to let Peyton go, that was Irsay and I think that decision has helped Peyton and the Colts.

And good job calling those moves, do you work in Grigson's office? :worthy:

Ask yourself the following question:

Which job sounds harder being the GM of a team trying to replace Peyton Manning or being the GM of a team who is adding Peyton Manning to the roster?

Now factor in one team was 2-14 last year and one team won a playoff game last year and it becomes clear to me which GM had a harder job this year.

Also I don't want to hear from ESPN how Elway rebuilt the Broncos defense because all they said last year when Tebow was winning games was that it was their defense keeping them in games. They shouldn't be able to have it both ways.

I think this award will go to Elway but I think it should go to Grigson he took a team that was the worst team in the league last year released a lot of the talent it did have and has them posed to make the playoffs just a year thanks in part to his draft class and player pick ups (Redding and Freeman being key). He also re-signed Reggie Wayne rathering than over paying to keep Garcon and took a leap of faith on Avery when many around the league thought he was done. It didn't stop there he has had to make moves with the roster during the season and has done a great job of finding talent when players have gone down hurt (Butler and Sanders fit this catagory). All this and people still thought we would be about the same 2-14 team we were last year at the start of the season. I think it's clear Grigson is the GM of the year even if he doesn't get the award.

I will say this you can make a very strong case that the Colts should win three post season awards this year, Rookie of the Year, GM of the Year, and Coach of the Year but the media doesn't like to give a team that many awards and it would not shock me at all if we don't end up winning any of them as I can see votes being taken away from each of the awards because of the success at the other poistions. Although it's going to be extremely hard to denay Pagano/Arians Coach of the Year. Keep in mind that is an award that traditionally goes to the coach of the team that has the biggest turn around from the year before. Now factor in everything else there and that should be theirs hands down but we'll see how the voting goes.

And good job calling those moves, do you work in Grigson's office? :worthy:

I wish.

But seriously, that's part of the reason I got behind Grigson so quickly. His roster management early in the offseason was right in line with what I thought should happen. And he managed to find a way to keep Wayne and Mathis. I was hoping we'd keep Wheeler as well, but you always lose players to free agency. Not the end of the world. Me and the frog had a whole two weeks worth of back and forth about all of this, leading up to the Manning decision.

By the way, before free agency, we were assuming that Garcon would be re-signed and Reggie would be gone, based on age and performance from 2011. I was always glad we didn't give Garcon the money he was looking for, but when you look back at that decision, it looks downright brilliant that we kept Reggie and let Garcon walk. Another feather in Grigson's cap.

Yes but weren't you also swearing up and down no way Freeney plays OLB for $19 mil this season too ;)

Just having some fun Superman.

I'm very happy with Grigs.

Since we fired JC I have only had FOUR problems with our choices in the offseason and draft. One of them had nothing to do with Grigs.

I didn't want to cut Manning (but that was on Irsay) - If we can never get past Manning than I will stand by this until he retires or we beat him in the playoffs.

I didn't want Bruce Arians (not sure if that was Irsay and Grigs or just Grigs) - undecided on this so far. Winning helps.

I didn't want to trade up for Hilton - I was wrong on this. This guy is all YAC.

I didn't want Fleener - I stand by this. I would still rather have Courtney Upshaw, Cordy Glenn, or Jenkins.

Ask yourself the following question:

Which job sounds harder being the GM of a team trying to replace Peyton Manning or being the GM of a team who is adding Peyton Manning to the roster?

Now factor in one team was 2-14 last year and one team won a playoff game last year and it becomes clear to me which GM had a harder job this year.

Also I don't want to hear from ESPN how Elway rebuilt the Broncos defense because all they said last year when Tebow was winning games was that it was their defense keeping them in games. They shouldn't be able to have it both ways.

I think this award will go to Elway but I think it should go to Grigson he took a team that was the worst team in the league last year released a lot of the talent it did have and has them posed to make the playoffs just a year thanks in part to his draft class and player pick ups (Redding and Freeman being key). It didn't stop there he has had to make moves with the roster during the season and has done a great job of finding talent when players have gone down hurt (Butler and Sanders fit this catagory). All this and people still thought we would be about the same 2-14 team we were last year at the start of the season. I think it's clear Grigson is the GM of the year even if he doesn't get the award.

I will say this you can make a very strong case that the Colts should win three post season awards this year, Rookie of the Year, GM of the Year, and Coach of the Year but the media doesn't like to give a team taht many awards and it would not shock me at all if we don't end up winning any of them as I can see votes being taken away from each of the awards because of the success at the other poistions. Although it's going to be extremely hard to denay Pagano/Arians Coach of the Year. Keep in mind that is an award that traditional goes to the coach of the team that has the biggest turn around from the year before. Now factor in everything else there and that should be theirs hands down but we'll see how the voting goes.

I completely agree. Although I just don't see that the Elway will get GM of the year. Maybe if the Broncos win the Super Bowl.

Grigson should get executive of the year, Arians/Pagano get coach of the year. And I think RG3 will win rookie of the year, just based on stats and wow factor. I hate that fact but that is what many people look at.

Yes but weren't you also swearing up and down no way Freeney plays OLB for $19 mil this season too ;)

Just having some fun Superman.

I was. I'm still kind of exasperated about it.

Technically speaking, we still had -- and have -- the cap space to fit some of the bigger free agents that moved prior to this season. Ben Grubbs was the second best guard on the market, and we could have easily fit his contract in, even without doing something about Freeney. So from a cap relief standpoint, it wasn't as critical as it seemed at the time. But from a cap management standpoint, I still think we should have done things differently.

No matter. Four out of five ain't bad. ;)

I wish.

But seriously, that's part of the reason I got behind Grigson so quickly. His roster management early in the offseason was right in line with what I thought should happen. And he managed to find a way to keep Wayne and Mathis. I was hoping we'd keep Wheeler as well, but you always lose players to free agency. Not the end of the world. Me and the frog had a whole two weeks worth of back and forth about all of this, leading up to the Manning decision.

By the way, before free agency, we were assuming that Garcon would be re-signed and Reggie would be gone, based on age and performance from 2011. I was always glad we didn't give Garcon the money he was looking for, but when you look back at that decision, it looks downright brilliant that we kept Reggie and let Garcon walk. Another feather in Grigson's cap.

Keeping Reggie and letting Garcon walk was a gutsy move by Grigson and it has payed off. For which I am happy Garcon got his money because I think he is actually a pretty good guy and I still get to watch him (I live in VA so it is Redskin/Cowboy nation)

Where is Wheeler now? I think I saw he may have ended up with the Raiders, but I am not sure.

I'm very happy with Grigs.

Since we fired JC I have only had FOUR problems with our choices in the offseason and draft. One of them had nothing to do with Grigs.

I didn't want to cut Manning (but that was on Irsay) - If we can never get past Manning than I will stand by this until he retires or we beat him in the playoffs.

This is a whole 'nother topic, all to itself. I'm very divided on this, but have just accepted that things are the way they are. Regardless, I'm enjoying the new chapter. And when evaluating Grigson, bottom line is that this decision was likely made before Grigson even got the job.

I didn't want Bruce Arians (not sure if that was Irsay and Grigs or just Grigs) - undecided on this so far. Winning helps.

I also didn't want Arians, and have been very critical of him as a coordinator. But his leadership and the way he's adapting, given the circumstances, kind of cover over the warts. At least right now.

I also didn't really want Manusky, but he's been better than I expected also. I think we're one of the best second half scoring defenses in the league. Still have a ways to go, but it's worked out okay.

I put both of these decisions more on Pagano than on Grigson, by the way. Though he's still very involved at that level, I'm sure.

I didn't want to trade up for Hilton - I was wrong on this. This guy is all YAC.

I loved the Hilton deal. Loved him before the draft, and was ecstatic when we moved up for him. Most didn't consider that to be a position of particular need, so I get having reservations about moving up for him, but it looks like he's the real deal.

I didn't want Fleener - I stand by this. I would still rather have Courtney Upshaw, Cordy Glenn, or Jenkins.

Fair criticism, one that I'm not quite as sold on, though. I think Fleener still might be one heck of a tight end, and to hear Grigson tell it, that's how his board fell. And I love that he stuck to his board, and why. Either way, we might have sowed up a real sore spot with that pick, and Fleener hasn't really done a whole lot to help at this point. Glenn would have been more beneficial for us this season, I think, assuming health.

As for Jenkins, he simply wasn't an option. Grigson made that determination before the draft, and I don't think he would have considered him at all. Maybe if he fell to us in the third, but I'm glad he didn't, because then we don't get Dwayne Allen.

This is so much more fun than complaining about Bill Polian.

Keeping Reggie and letting Garcon walk was a gutsy move by Grigson and it has payed off. For which I am happy Garcon got his money because I think he is actually a pretty good guy and I still get to watch him (I live in VA so it is Redskin/Cowboy nation)

You haven't gotten to watch Garcon all that much; he's been hurt most of the year.

Where is Wheeler now? I think I saw he may have ended up with the Raiders, but I am not sure.

You are correct, sir. And having a whale of a year, too. I think he would have fit our new scheme quite nicely. One year, $700k.

http://www.nfl.com/p...ler/330/profile

That Reggie move was the thing that won me over with Grigson. I just loved that he didn't panic and over pay to keep Garcon and frankly had a back up plan and realized Reggie at a reasonable contract for a shorter amount of time was probably a better move than over paying Garcon for a long term deal.

As for Wheeler he's a being a stud at life for the Oakland Raiders.

I completely agree.

I know we probably could have picked up more contributing talent in the later rounds, but everyone can't hit it big. As a late round pick, you really don't expect them to contribute much. Guys like Fugger and Chapman got the injury bug. Anderson has been a big question mark.

Grigson came into this season with an offensive driven mindset. Give Luck some tools to work with and that is why we are a top 10 offense this year. I expect Grigson to make more defensive signings, so I will be happy to see who he picks and where. Hopefully guys like Fugger and Chapman will be productive.

Fugger ain't even on the team

You haven't gotten to watch Garcon all that much; he's been hurt most of the year.

You are correct, sir. And having a whale of a year, too. I think he would have fit our new scheme quite nicely. One year, $700k.

http://www.nfl.com/p...ler/330/profile

Yeah, I know, but when he plays, he is the difference maker on offense. Probably on the same level as Hilton.

And good for Wheeler, our cover 2 defense was horrible so I can almost always expect one of our cast offs to do well on other teams.

Totally trust this guy's decision making right now. He nailed his 1st off-season. Luck, Hilton, Ballard, Allen, Fleener and Brazil were all GREAT draft picks. Solid trades and a few hidden gems (Freeman is a STUD and I think Hickman will prove to be a solid pickup in time as well) Can't ask for much more in a GM in his 1st season inheriting a 2-14 ball club. What I like most is he tirelessly looks for ways to improve the roster throughout the season. Kudos to Grigson. We might have a dynasty at some point with him manning (no pun) the ship

So we are 9-4 heading into Houston this week and I figured now would be a great time to bring up the man that made most of the decisions this offseason.

I think we have found a quality GM in Grigson. I know it is early and teams can go from good to bad in just a year, but I think Grigson is the real deal.

He brought in guys who work in the system that the team is running. Guys like Freeman, Avery, Hilton, Brazil, Fleener, Allen, Redding, Butler, Ballard, and other guys.

As much as Luck and Arians gets much of the credit, the real guy who should get the credit for this season is Grigson, and I can't wait til next year when we have money to spend on players.

Grigson over Polian, no doubt. But, he was an olineman. Surely he could find more talent than this........ Just sayin'

And from what I've read on this forum, putting Luck and Arians in the same catagory for credit will get you.....(Let me check your profile for gender).......Castrated! :lol:

Ryan Grigson has been a nice addition to the Indianapolis Colts no doubt who has brought in some very nice pieces to INDY's organization. However, can we at least wait 2 more draft classes before we elect him GM of the Year & sing his praises from the rooftops please. Thank you. Any call for celebration on his part just yet is just a tad premature IMHO.

I often wonder when the GM/Executive of the Year is reduced down to a small number of nominees does the selection committee judge all the GM candidates against their organization's front office predecessors? If that's the case, Grigson's got no shot considering Bill Polian won Executive of the Year 6 times.

Yes I know, Grigson & Polian aren't in a direct competition against 1 another, but my point is the benchmark & plateau is much much higher for Grigson to reach because of it on sheer excellence, duration, & longevity alone IMO. Give Grigson some more years under his belt as GM 1st. Thank you.

Ryan Grigson has been a nice addition to the Indianapolis Colts no doubt who has brought in some very nice pieces to INDY's organization. However, can we at least wait 2 more draft classes before we elect him GM of the Year & sing his praises from the rooftops please. Thank you. Any call for celebration on his part just yet is just a tad premature IMHO.

I don't get this line of reasoning. It's a yearly award, and it's about what GM had the greatest impact on his team's improvement, success, etc. We were 2-14 last season, and we've already won 7 more games. Most people expected us to be picking at the top of the draft again, and now it looks like we'll be near the bottom. If Grigson isn't worthy of consideration, I don't understand the way this award works.

I often wonder when the GM/Executive of the Year is reduced down to a small number of nominees does the selection committee judge all the GM candidates against their organization's front office predecessors? If that's the case, Grigson's got no shot considering Bill Polian won Executive of the Year 6 times.

Yes I know, Grigson & Polian aren't in a direct competition against 1 another, but my point is the benchmark & plateau is much much higher for Grigson to reach because of it on sheer excellence, duration, & longevity alone IMO. Give Grigson some more years under his belt as GM 1st. Thank you.

I don't understand this reasoning either. Polian -- the six-time Exec of the Year winner -- left Grigson a roster with many holes, a roster that only managed to win two games last year. Grigson had to replace the coaching staff and overhaul the team in one season. If you suggested in the offseason that we'd be .500 this year, you'd have been laughed out of the room. I don't see how Grigson's predecessor has anything to do with what Grigson has had to do so far.

If there's someone more qualified than he is for this award, that's fine (I don't think there is, but that's a matter of opinion). But I don't understand why you're trying to discredit what he's done.