Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson

Tark The Shark

So we are 9-4 heading into Houston this week and I figured now would be a great time to bring up the man that made most of the decisions this offseason.

I think we have found a quality GM in Grigson. I know it is early and teams can go from good to bad in just a year, but I think Grigson is the real deal.

He brought in guys who work in the system that the team is running. Guys like Freeman, Avery, Hilton, Brazil, Fleener, Allen, Redding, Butler, Ballard, and other guys.

As much as Luck and Arians gets much of the credit, the real guy who should get the credit for this season is Grigson, and I can't wait til next year when we have money to spend on players.

I really appreciate what he's been able to do under such a restrictive cap sitch, and love how he keeps tinkering to improve the team by any means possible.

My only concern is that as great as he's been at looking under rocks for value, he is very untested in managing long term cap health or the cohesion of a roster of higher end talent. I dont doubt his ability, but hope he stays humble and hungry, and doesn't let this year's success go to his head.

elway is just lucky peyton chose him. grigson deserves it hands down

There is no doubt Grigson made more moves, but Elway took a gamble that some didn't have the stones to make. He sent his playoff winning QB elsewhere for a chance at one of the greatest returning to form. I agree that if Manning had chosen Tennessee or San Fran then their GM's praises would be sung just like Elway's, but he will get some votes for taking one teams trash and treasuring it.

There is no doubt Grigson made more moves, but Elway took a gamble that some didn't have the stones to make. He sent his playoff winning QB elsewhere for a chance at one of the greatest returning to form. I agree that if Manning had chosen Tennessee or San Fran then their GM's praises would be sung just like Elway's, but he will get some votes for taking one teams trash and treasuring it.

Manning has a good chance to win the Super Bowl (if he doesn't have to go to Foxbourogh), that should say enough about Elway.

Let us be honest, Grigson's pick of Luck was a slam dunk. In this league, once you have a QB that can win you games in crunch situations, your other selections will look better when the team wins in the regular season. :) As Colts fans, we should be used to that. :)

Where I find him to have great potential is the choice of the front 7 on D and CBs so far. Of course, the coaches he hired were great hires as well. The stout front 7 we have clamored for as Colts fans, that is where I think Grigson will surpass Bill Polian in the draft over time, IMO.

On the skill positions and pass rushers, Bill Polian still reigns at the top, IMO. O-line - we know Bill Polian was a letdown. Bill Polian fared OK on the CB front with more misses than hits.

We will see how Grigson fares over time. Once we have about 5 years, we can compare easily.

I'll admit I was kind of iffy on Grigson when he was first hired, but IMO he has done a terrific job getting players here with very little wiggle room with the salary cap. I have a lot of confidence in him to keep building this team the right way. He has added enough weapons around Luck that he can focus his attention on now building a strong O-line and a good defense. I think he truly knows the importance of building the trenches on this team instead of just adding more and more offensive weapons.

I don't know about stones ... he was looking for any excuse to get Tebow out of Denver. Manning provided the perfect vehicle ...a 2 birds one stone type thing. Even if Manning had failed he gets a pass because it's was considered the smart gamble and he was rid of Tebow.

I think Grigson is the real deal and I'm glad Irsay gave him the shot to prove he has what it takes.

I agree that Grigson is the real deal. His selection of coaches and the way he has built this team with the draft, castoffs and FA's proves it, IMO. Like most fans, looking forward to next year when he has some money to spend to bring in veterans and another draft.

I think Grigson is the real deal and I'm glad Irsay gave him the shot to prove he has what it takes.

First of all....nice post by Tark The Shark! :):thmup:

I know when we still had Colts.com and Colts Direct there were 100s and hundreds of anti-Irsay comments and posts....95-99% of them were negative and absolute hate driven posts. Jim Irsay put his reputation, family, and his entire existence on the line with the 'toughest decision and owner could EVER make....letting our HOF #18 leave town!

Ryan Grigson came in...promised nothing but hard work....rolling up his sleeves and going to work.....then Chuck STRONG Pagano!!!

What a year to be a Colts fan.....Thanks for the post Tark!!!! GO :coltslogo: :coltslogo: :coltslogo::colts: :colts: :colts::coltshelmet: :coltshelmet: :coltshelmet::lombardi:

I don't know about stones ... he was looking for any excuse to get Tebow out of Denver. Manning provided the perfect vehicle ...a 2 birds one stone type thing. Even if Manning had failed he gets a pass because it's was considered the smart gamble and he was rid of Tebow.

I told you there were stones involved. You threw one to kill two birds :), I agree that Elway wanted Tebow gone, and it was a replacement with enough merit to pacify the majority of the naysayers. If Manning had the noodle arm that Kravitz so ignorantly trumpeted and he was had 10 td passes and 25 interceptions and the Broncos had 3 wins, I can promise you that Elway would be getting grilled by the media and his fan base. They would be throwing lots of stones(there is that word again), at their former leader and calling for his head. Fanbases can be blinded by success and some of them would have argued that Tebow would have led them back to the playoffs where Ricearoni Manning would have failed. Obviously that wasn't the case and Manning is on the short list for MVP #5, playoffs, bye, etc, so that isn't on the table at this point, but all things considered it still took stones to pay him 18 million.

So we are 9-4 heading into Houston this week and I figured now would be a great time to bring up the man that made most of the decisions this offseason.

I think we have found a quality GM in Grigson. I know it is early and teams can go from good to bad in just a year, but I think Grigson is the real deal.

He brought in guys who work in the system that the team is running. Guys like Freeman, Avery, Hilton, Brazil, Fleener, Allen, Redding, Butler, Ballard, and other guys.

As much as Luck and Arians gets much of the credit, the real guy who should get the credit for this season is Grigson, and I can't wait til next year when we have money to spend on players.

Ryag Grigson, (a former Highland Indiana football player by the way), wont be a successful next year because he couldnt possibly be.

Almost everything he did this season.....worked...including the all-offense draft that was panned by many on this board...

..and the trade for Vontae Davis..which was roasted here......and the signing of Donnie Avery...which was blasted here.

You are 100% right...Grigson put this team together.....as a first-time GM....

he cant get enough credit

I told you there were stones involved. You threw one to kill two birds :), I agree that Elway wanted Tebow gone, and it was a replacement with enough merit to pacify the majority of the naysayers. If Manning had the noodle arm that Kravitz so ignorantly trumpeted and he was had 10 td passes and 25 interceptions and the Broncos had 3 wins, I can promise you that Elway would be getting grilled by the media and his fan base. They would be throwing lots of stones(there is that word again), at their former leader and calling for his head. Fanbases can be blinded by success and some of them would have argued that Tebow would have led them back to the playoffs where Ricearoni Manning would have failed. Obviously that wasn't the case and Manning is on the short list for MVP #5, playoffs, bye, etc, so that isn't on the table at this point, but all things considered it still took stones to pay him 18 million.

Its true...Elway made bold moves that his fan base didnt like and he was 100% correct...

The he stocked his team with guys......to work with a 36-year old QB coming of an injury year..

And like he said "There is No Plan B'

Elway has to be considered, too

He would not have got a pass in Denver. He would have been vilified if Peyton came in and fell on his face. Tebow was adored in Denver and the only reason the fans were able to move on was because Peyton Manning came to town and performed. You do not get rid of a QB who won a playoff game and bring in a guy who fails and not get destroyed in the local media.

Grigson has done a superb job rebuilding this team so quickly and he probably should get Executive of the Year over Elway, but I can understand people for voting for Elway. Elway put it all on black and so far it has come up black each time.

Bruce Allen in Washington will get some votes as well. Maneuvering in the draft to get RGIII, and then moving some of their left over draft picks into position to acquire extra draft picks and then the cherry on top might be Alfred Morris who was drafted with a pick left over from the Mcnabb trade with Minnesota. I guess if you go back to the Mcnabb trade it would be hard pressed to believe that the 6th round throw in pick would end up being more valuable in 2012.

To me, Allen can't be ignored.

I like this post, and it's because I like pretty much everything about the way Grigson does his job. I like how he stuck to his draft board, and then defended his strategy with reason and authority, but without being condescending or arrogant (unlike his predecessor). I like how he's constantly churned the roster to find whatever he could, from wherever he could find it. I especially like how he recruited Darius Butler, with straightforwardness. He's transparent, and he's assertive. And a lot of his moves, especially the Davis trade, sent the signal that he's here to build a team that can compete, not to sit back and wait and see how things develop.

On top of that, he struck gold with guys like Freeman, Hilton, Ballard, etc. And some of that is just being in the right place at the right time; I don't think anyone expected Freeman to be as productive as he's been. But it shows that Grigson is willing to do whatever he thinks is reasonable to add talent.

That doesn't mean I agree with everything Grigson has done, although that's almost true, so far. He wasn't even my first choice (as if that means anything); I was hoping for Marc Ross from the Giants. But he has my respect, and it helps that his decisions so far have paid off. Executive of the Year or not, I'm glad we have him.

And Grigson has a kind of toughness of him.

He knows how to be straight forward without sounding disrespectful.

He is not afraid to make tough decisions.

And I like the fact that he and Irsay are almost always in the locker room with the players.

That is why he brought in Pagano.....they both have a gym rat toughness about them.....just go to work.....no sugar-coating....just go to work! :)

That is why he brought in Pagano.....they both have a gym rat toughness about them.....just go to work.....no sugar-coating....just go to work! :)

Exactly, I like the guy. Polian was the ultimate spin master. And he was very good at his job.

Grigson seems like the kind of guy who looks at the film and doesn't look at intangibles. He lets the film speak for itself.

I think that will come down between him and Elway.

I heard John Clayton saying he would vote for Elway. The Broncos are having a great year. But if Manning hadn't chosen to go to Denver, would we still be saying the same? NO!

Grigson has had to rebuild an entire roster. Sure, he has some Hall of Fame-potential guys as holdovers to teach the young guys. But aside from those handful of vets, everyone is YOUNG! The Colts have been able to make Tamp 2 personel work in a 3-4 Hybrid system which is a miracle in itself. Throw in the fact that Grigson operated with about a third of his salary cap ($30 PLUS MILLION) tied up in dead money and I don't see how it can't be him.

Exactly, I like the guy. Polian was the ultimate spin master. And he was very good at his job.

Grigson seems like the kind of guy who looks at the film and doesn't look at intangibles. He lets the film speak for itself.

Goes in.....locks door....evaluates! We are on the same page on this one Tark (and we both know 1 or 2 bad calls can change the entire mentality toward a GM too :)) :thmup:

Goes in.....locks door....evaluates! We are on the same page on this one Tark (and we both know 1 or 2 bad calls can change the entire mentality toward a GM too :)) :thmup:

Very true, we are on the same page. In three years the guy could be out the door by making 1 or 2 bad mistakes. But I think Irsay is a smart enough guy that Irsay will give Grigson all the tools to succeed.

I think the great thing was that Grigson was very well respected throughout the league and most people believe he would one day be a GM.

Not to down play the great amounts of success he's had with some of his draft choices, and FA findings, but I'd like to see more success out of the tale end of our picks next year. I know late draft choices don't always work out, but you can look at some of the people still available when we picked up Justin Anderson, Tim Fugger etc.. It could just be some bad luck and sometime these things happen, but it would be nice to find some gems in the late rounds next year.

That is why I think he should be executive of the year. Over guys like Elway or Allen. With all the dead cap space we have had we have at least quadrupled our win total from last year.

Not to nitpick, but we had cap space. Not a whole ton, but a decent amount. We also could have moved Freeney and freed up an extra $14m. And a lot of the dead cap hits were the result of releases Grigson decided to make, so he has to accept the consequences there. The cap doom and gloom that was widely reported was kind of sensationalized.

Not to down play the great amounts of success he's had with some of his draft choices, and FA findings, but I'd like to see more success out of the tale end of our picks next year. I know late draft choices don't always work out, but you can look at some of the people still available when we picked up Justin Anderson, Tim Fugger etc.. It could just be some bad luck and sometime these things happen, but it would be nice to find some gems in the late rounds next year.

I agree, though, like you, I don't think it's a big deal. Late rounders don't often turn into anything, and with guys like Brazill and Ballard contributing (both late round compensatory picks), he did a decent job. But we could have gotten more out of those 7th rounders. I figure Dennard wasn't on Grigson's board, just like Jenkins wasn't, but that would have been a better pick than Anderson or Fugger, neither of whom has played for us this season. It's not fair to judge the 7th round with the benefit of hindsight, but it is fair to say that we haven't gotten anything out of our 7th rounders this season.

That is why I think he should be executive of the year. Over guys like Elway or Allen. With all the dead cap space we have had we have at least quadrupled our win total from last year.

IMO, if Grigson don't win executive of the yr., there is something seriously wrong with the decision making process.

I completely agree.

I know we probably could have picked up more contributing talent in the later rounds, but everyone can't hit it big. As a late round pick, you really don't expect them to contribute much. Guys like Fugger and Chapman got the injury bug. Anderson has been a big question mark.

Grigson came into this season with an offensive driven mindset. Give Luck some tools to work with and that is why we are a top 10 offense this year. I expect Grigson to make more defensive signings, so I will be happy to see who he picks and where. Hopefully guys like Fugger and Chapman will be productive.

Not to nitpick, but we had cap space. Not a whole ton, but a decent amount. We also could have moved Freeney and freed up an extra $14m. And a lot of the dead cap hits were the result of releases Grigson decided to make, so he has to accept the consequences there. The cap doom and gloom that was widely reported was kind of sensationalized.

True, the decision was Grigson to let a lot of players go resulting in that dead cap space.

I think with Freeney, he wanted to keep him on the team as a leader and to see where he would fit in the system. I think Grigson wanted him to play out the contract and see where Freeney stood as far as production, at the end of the year.

Unfortunately, I don't see Freeney staying unless he takes a huge pay cut.

I am more excited about the future with those cap penalties set to expire.