•  

Photo

Unbelievable Score

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 11414 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Tuesday Night Bloomington South High School beat Indianapolis Arlington 107 to 2 in girls basketball action.
Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 Thewholefnshow28

Thewholefnshow28
  • 2034 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

The team that killed Arlington is getting vilified but before you can really bash the team you got to ask when did they pull the starters. If they pulled the starters at half time and the back up and the back ups to the back ups scored the rest there is not much you can do then. Now if they had their starters in late in the fourth then the coach is just a giant toolbag.

If you put in your back ups and say no more threes and pass the ball five times before shooting there is nothing you can do if they still cannot stop you. What was the team supposed to do walk it up and just pass the ball around until the game was over because they do not have a shot clock in high school? I know when I played sports it was more frustrating being toyed with by a team that was trying not to run up the score then actually have them playing normally.

It all really comes down to how the opposing coach handled it. If he called the dogs off early and had them do certain things to slow the scoring down then they did nothing wrong.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." - Mark Twain

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won’t expect it back." - Oscar Wilde

#3 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6594 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

No mercy rules?

#4 MAC

MAC

"It was a dark and stormy night"

• 4660 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

The team that killed Arlington is getting vilified but before you can really bash the team you got to ask when did they pull the starters. If they pulled the starters at half time and the back up and the back ups to the back ups scored the rest there is not much you can do then. Now if they had their starters in late in the fourth then the coach is just a giant toolbag.

If you put in your back ups and say no more threes and pass the ball five times before shooting there is nothing you can do if they still cannot stop you. What was the team supposed to do walk it up and just pass the ball around until the game was over because they do not have a shot clock in high school? I know when I played sports it was more frustrating being toyed with by a team that was trying not to run up the score then actually have them playing normally.

It all really comes down to how the opposing coach handled it. If he called the dogs off early and had them do certain things to slow the scoring down then they did nothing wrong.

I agree, it's just that it's hard to score 100 points in any high school game - probably even less common in a woman's game. The fact that they did so with THAT big a lead suggests that they weren't trying very hard to slow the scoring. The fact that it was so close to 100 makes you wonder if they were pushing to get to that mark.

How about the Princeton four corner offense, or putting in a super small lineup so that the other team can score some and the crowd has something to watch. There is NO conceivable reason to keep extending a lead in the second half past 40 points or so at any level.

#5 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 11414 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

I agree, it's just that it's hard to score 100 points in any high school game - probably even less common in a woman's game. The fact that they did so with THAT big a lead suggests that they weren't trying very hard to slow the scoring. The fact that it was so close to 100 makes you wonder if they were pushing to get to that mark.

How about the Princeton four corner offense, or putting in a super small lineup so that the other team can score some and the crowd has something to watch. There is NO conceivable reason to keep extending a lead in the second half past 40 points or so at any level.

Agreed

PrincetonTiger77

#6 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 11414 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

No mercy rules?

Not in IHSAA basketball

PrincetonTiger77

#7 chadedward

chadedward
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Whoa

#8 Emma

Emma
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

probably even less common in a woman's game.

Lol, excuse me?

#9 MAC

MAC

• 4660 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Lol, excuse me?

Relax, I don't have a misogynistic bone in my body - but are you telling me that that is an unreasonable comment? I haven't watched a high school game since the 70s, but I suspect that reaching 100 points is still rare. I doubt that many teams would be confused with the 1990 UNLV Running Rebels. Is it really insulting to suggest that a women's team would bear even less of a resemblance? My understanding was that women usually played a more traditional (and some would say better) style. More passing, less dependence on height and athleticism (both of which tend to result in easy baskets, and therefore more scoring). Has that changed?

#10 southwest1

southwest1
  • 11948 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

No mercy rules?

Good point Joker. This isn't college or the pros...I at least hope that the Bloomington South High School HC put in 2nd & 3rd string players when the game was pretty much out reach for the opposition.  :giveup:

"Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack." Sun Tzu

#11 shecolt

shecolt
  • 2955 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

I was reading about this and the Bloomington coach said that he played all 9 girls.  Which tells me that he didn't really have much of a second or third string.  Unless he would have only put 4 players on the court, there would have always been a starter playing.

I can understand that the coach couldn't ask the girls to stop shooting the ball, but I don't think that there is a shot clock at this level.  So, he could have told his girls that they needed to pass the ball "X" number of times before shooting. 

A similar situation happened when my son played soccer.  His team was playing another that was no match for them.  At half-time, the score was 8-0.  So, the coach told the team that they could continue to play defense; but the only way that they were allowed to score was if they headed in the ball. 

The final score was 8-0 and I have always admired this coach for his decision.  He stopped the bleeding while also giving his team a good lesson in sportsmanship and some valuable practice in the tough act of heading in a ball which proved to be very beneficial in an upcoming sectional game.

“Whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you’ll find that when you’re free . . . your true self comes out.” — Tina Turner

#12 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 11414 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

Never should of happened.

PrincetonTiger77

#13 BNS

BNS
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

I used to do play-by-play for a radio station in Bowling Green, KY and did a high school girls game with a final score of 108 - 6.  After the first quarter, it was difficult to know what to talk about....the game was decided and I described the action, but there are only so many adjectives one can use describing a game like that.  Also did a high school football game with a final score of 73-0...another challenge!!

#14 MAC

MAC

• 4660 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

I used to do play-by-play for a radio station in Bowling Green, KY and did a high school girls game with a final score of 108 - 6.  After the first quarter, it was difficult to know what to talk about....the game was decided and I described the action, but there are only so many adjectives one can use describing a game like that.  Also did a high school football game with a final score of 73-0...another challenge!!

Yikes. Every time the losing team got a bucket you probably sounded like Al Michaels at the end of "The Miracle on Ice".

#15 Slash777

Slash777
  • 1404 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Wait, wait wait, we're upset at the winning team for playing hard and winning? If I am the winning coach or a player on the winning team, I'm upset that we had to play the losing team. Seriously, just 2 points? Why even play? Why even coach?  How is a winning team supposed to practice all week to play hard, and win, only to be bashed for doing so?

#16 MAC

MAC

• 4660 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Wait, wait wait, we're upset at the winning team for playing hard and winning? If I am the winning coach or a player on the winning team, I'm upset that we had to play the losing team. Seriously, just 2 points? Why even play? Why even coach?  How is a winning team supposed to practice all week to play hard, and win, only to be bashed for doing so?

You're kind of missing the point. They aren't getting "bashed" for "playing hard and winning", they are getting bashed for demonstrating an intolerable lack of compassion and sportsmanship.

They had already "won" by every definition other than that there was still time on the clock. Good for them. That's the end of the competitive portion of the evening right there. You then move on to questions such as: "are you a decent human being, or do you take pleasure in utterly humiliating people." This wasn't a bar fight, it was a GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL basketball game. What lessons would you like the students of either side to take from the experience? How would you feel if you were the parent of one of the "losers". I can tell you that if it was me, I'd be having a conversation right in the face of the "winning" coach. Absolutely inexcusable.

#17 Slash777

Slash777
  • 1404 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

You're kind of missing the point. They aren't getting "bashed" for "playing hard and winning", they are getting bashed for demonstrating an intolerable lack of compassion and sportsmanship.

They had already "won" by every definition other than that there was still time on the clock. Good for them. That's the end of the competitive portion of the evening right there. You then move on to questions such as: "are you a decent human being, or do you take pleasure in utterly humiliating people." This wasn't a bar fight, it was a GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL basketball game. What lessons would you like the students of either side to take from the experience? How would you feel if you were the parent of one of the "losers". I can tell you that if it was me, I'd be having a conversation right in the face of the "winning" coach. Absolutely inexcusable.
I understand. I get it, I totally get it. I don't agree with that way of thinking is all. I know that the game wasn't competitive and that the team could have pulled back for reasons of sportsmanship etc.... My point is that it sucks that they are in a situation to begin with.

I'm assuming that the winning team trained hard all week long to pay a game, a full game. Instead, this game was probably easier than their shoot around practice. It's not fair to them to have to take the game off because the other team didn't put up a fight at all. So in my view, they trained hard, they deserve to play hard, wether the other team does or not.

#18 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 11414 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Here is an example:

Princeton(3A) tri-hosts a holiday tournament with fellow Gibson County Schools Gibson Southern(3A) and Wood Memorial(1A) made up of 1A to 4A Schools which includes Mount Carmel(Il.) and IU Signee Tyra Buss

Princeton lead North Knox High School 31-5 at half but only beat the Warriors 55-30 because the Tigers coach made sure everyone played then last night the Tigers pulled out to a big lead before the 4th Quarter when Coach Mair called 2 time outs to make sure everyone dressed for the game played.

PrincetonTiger77

COLTS TICKETS!

Join the Season Ticket Wait List!

Game Rewind: Indianapolis Colts

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      23 Apr
    BrentMc11

'possibly' having a re-do on my right eye tomorrow depending on the risk. It is still too far-sighted. I am too young to not have it done with a better script. Hoping it is easy...may have stitches this time with bigger incision.

Show comments (9)
View All Updates