Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts in Contract Years

HtownColt

Colts in contract years (position, player name, 2012 cap hit)

OLB Dwight Freeney $19 million

RT Winston Justice $1.5 million

CB Jerraud Powers $1.477 million

WR Austin Collie $1.417 million

P Pat McAfee $1.323 million

DT Fili Moala $900,000

QB Drew Stanton $750,000

WR Donnie Avery $615,000

LB Moise Fokou $615,000

OL Jeff Linkenbach $546,667

CB Cassius Vaughn $540,000

OG Seth Olsen $540,000

CB Josh Gordy $540,000

DT Ricardo Mathews $540,000

LG Joe Reitz $540,000

NT Martin Tevaseu $465,000

LB A.J. Edds $465,000

LB Scott Lutrus $465,000

Guys who weren’t with the team full season

CB Darius Butler

DE Clifton Geathers

DE Lawrence Guy

DT Kellen Heard

OT Tony Hills

S Delano Howell

RB Deji Karim

RB Mewelde Moore

TE Weslye Saunders

OT Bradley Sowell

WR Nathan Palmer

LB Jamaal Westerman

CB Teddy Williams

http://blogs.indysta...contract-years/

Moala and McAfee are the only MUST keeps IMO. I'd be okay with tagging pat. He's a top three punter in the NFL when you factor in everything he does for us.

I know this is probably a stupid question but why would we have to tag McAfee? Why not just give him a new contract? Just wondering......

I know this is probably a stupid question but why would we have to tag McAfee? Why not just give him a new contract? Just wondering......

we can do that for sure. The franchise tag just pretty much means we are promised to get him back because I am sure some other teams will be interested in him too.

Would like to see Moala, Avery, Fokou back for sure.

McAfee is a bit pricey but probably him too.

Stanton is fine at the right price of course. We did pay what, 4-5 million for Kerry whats his name. :funny:

They have a man crush on Link so you know he is coming back. :scratch:

I would think Reitz would be invited back to compete for a roster spot.

And functional CB`s are a must so invites for C. Vaugh, J Gordy, & D Butler makes sense.

Let someone else figure out the rest.

we can do that for sure. The franchise tag just pretty much means we are promised to get him back because I am sure some other teams will be interested in him too.

Okay another question. If we offer him a contract and another team offers him a higher contract does that mean he has to take the highest contract or can he stay in Indy if he wants to? Sorry for so many questions but I don't completely know this contract thing. Also have we ever tagged a punter?

Would like to see Moala, Avery, Fokou back for sure.

McAfee is a bit pricey but probably him too.

Stanton is fine at the right price of course. We did pay what, 4-5 million for Kerry whats his name. :funny:

They have a man crush on Link so you know he is coming back. :scratch:

I would think Reitz would be invited back to compete for a roster spot.

And functional CB`s are a must so invites for C. Vaugh, J Gordy, & D Butler makes sense.

Let someone else figure out the rest.

Maybe McAfee is pricey but he has earned his money. JMO

Okay another question. If we offer him a contract and another team offers him a higher contract does that mean he has to take the highest contract or can he stay in Indy if he wants to? Sorry for so many questions but I don't completely know this contract thing. Also have we ever tagged a punter?

He can sign wherever he wants to, but he'll sign with the highest bidder.

I don't know if anyone's ever tagged a punter (kicker, yes).

Someone who wants him back, doesn't want to pay his asking price, and doesn't have anyone else to use it on.

Doesn't tagging him make us automatically need to pay him the average of the top five salaries of his position? I assume it would be cheaper to NOT tag him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11060396

Giants and Weatherford is the only one I found. And the article above does give the explanation you'd expect, which is, low dollar amount anyway, very good punter, so worth it to the Giants at the time.

Giants tagged Steve Weatherford last year. They wound up doing a long term deal a few days later.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7649119/new-york-giants-punter-steve-weatherford-gets-franchise-tag

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7696919/new-york-giants-re-sign-steve-weatherford-5-years

As for McAfee, general rule is guys go for the money, especially in their prime. Older guys like Reggie Wayne might value loyalty or team situation a little bit more, but Pat will probably get offers if we don't reach terms before free agency opens up. I'm actually more concerned about him wanting to go somewhere and get the chance to be a field goal kicker. He might want to see all of his options before he decides on anything.

DT Fili Moala $900,000

QB Drew Stanton $750,000

WR Donnie Avery $615,000

LB Moise Fokou $615,000

CB Josh Gordy $540,000

LG Joe Reitz $540,000

CB Darius Butler

DE Clifton Geathers

DE Lawrence Guy

OT Tony Hills

TE Weslye Saunders

these are guys i can see us resigning

DT Fili Moala $900,000

QB Drew Stanton $750,000

WR Donnie Avery $615,000

LB Moise Fokou $615,000

OG Seth Olsen $540,000

CB Josh Gordy $540,000

LG Joe Reitz $540,000

LB A.J. Edds $465,000

LB Scott Lutrus $465,000

CB Darius Butler

DE Clifton Geathers

DE Lawrence Guy

DT Kellen Heard

OT Tony Hills

S Delano Howell

RB Deji Karim

RB Mewelde Moore

TE Weslye Saunders

OT Bradley Sowell

WR Nathan Palmer

LB Jamaal Westerman

CB Teddy Williams

I'd put a priority on resigning the guys in bold. The guys in italics would probably get offers, but nothing long term or with guaranteed money. Jerraud Powers might be a two year offer, $8m, or something like that.

The rest of the guys might get camp invites if they're still available in mid-June.

I would express to Freeney and his agent my desire to allow him to retire as a Colt, but that the team has moved on from relying on him like we used to. If he wants to stay, it's going to be on a lower level contract (three years, $20m). But Freeney probably won't be around next season.

DT Fili Moala $900,000

QB Drew Stanton $750,000

WR Donnie Avery $615,000

LB Moise Fokou $615,000

OG Seth Olsen $540,000

CB Josh Gordy $540,000

LG Joe Reitz $540,000

LB A.J. Edds $465,000

LB Scott Lutrus $465,000

CB Darius Butler

DE Clifton Geathers

DE Lawrence Guy

DT Kellen Heard

OT Tony Hills

S Delano Howell

RB Deji Karim

RB Mewelde Moore

TE Weslye Saunders

OT Bradley Sowell

WR Nathan Palmer

LB Jamaal Westerman

CB Teddy Williams

Definite returners: McAfee, Stanton, Avery, Butler (Grigson really likes Avery. Stanton looks like a decent backup and he's a bargain. Butler could end up being a starter next year if Powers is not brought back)

Probable returners: Moala, Vaughn, Justice (I think these three guys come back just because it'll be hard to find better options at all three positions with one off season)

Everyone else is a goner for one reason or another.

There is absolutely positively no chance we re-sign Freeney unless he takes a pay cut. There is no way we pay a 4-3 DE 20 million to be an average OLB.

This is a foregone conclusion. NO ONE is going to pay Freeney $20m a year to do anything. That's top five quarterback money. In reality, this season is an anomaly for him. He was never supposed to have such a high cap hit, and the average over the life of the contract was $12m/year.

There is absolutely positively no chance we re-sign Freeney unless he takes a pay cut. There is no way we pay a 4-3 DE 20 million to be an average OLB.

Oh loller skates. Do you see anyone suggesting that we'd pay Freeney 20 million a season? That is the value of the last year of his contract. Those values are typically inflated as many contracts are back loaded to make it easier for teams to cut under performing players.

Albert Haynesworth comes to mind.

In any case, Freeney's original deal was 72 million over 6, which breaks down to 12 million annually. Consider the fact that he is past his prime, and he is looking at a deal similar to Mathis, which is roughly 40 over 4 tops. I wouldn't be shocked if it were less than that.

But there is absolutely no chance a 20 million dollar annual payment is made to retain Freeney. No one would even bother suggesting it.

Definite returners: McAfee, Stanton, Avery, Butler (Grigson really likes Avery. Stanton looks like a decent backup and he's a bargain. Butler could end up being a starter next year if Powers is not brought back)

Probable returners: Moala, Vaughn, Justice (I think these three guys come back just because it'll be hard to find better options at all three positions with one off season)

Everyone else is a goner for one reason or another.

I question the likelihood of Stanton returning. He was looking to start when he signed in NY. His potential dropped when they brought in Tebow, and he argued his way out of there. I don't suspect he has any reason to think he'd start here. He'd be better off in KC, Cleveland (organizational changes going on there), and maybe a few other places. I dunno, but he isn't a lock, IMO.

I'd like to see Powers retained, as well as some of our other corners. Just depends on what kinda money they want. Right now, none of them are 5 million a year kinda guys. Maybe Powers, but the rest are not worth big contracts, so if they look for the right money, I'd like to see them retained.

This is a foregone conclusion. NO ONE is going to pay Freeney $20m a year to do anything. That's top five quarterback money. In reality, this season is an anomaly for him. He was never supposed to have such a high cap hit, and the average over the life of the contract was $12m/year.

To me, he's going to be the most interesting signing for us (if we choose to even re-sign him). You're 100% right, no one is going to give him that kind of money. Still, he probably ranks in the top 1/8 of the league's OLBs. He's a smart guy, he knows what he's worth, so does Grigs. I wonder if their numbers are in the same ballpark.

To me, he's going to be the most interesting signing for us (if we choose to even re-sign him). You're 100% right, no one is going to give him that kind of money. Still, he probably ranks in the top 1/8 of the league's OLBs. He's a smart guy, he knows what he's worth, so does Grigs. I wonder if their numbers are in the same ballpark.

Thing is, he might be worth more to a team that is going to a run a four-down defense, where he can play end exclusively, than he is to us, where his production can be replaced and even manufactured due to the scheme. I could see a team like the Eagles or Bucs or whoever else offering him four years, $35m, while we're offering three years, $20m, or whatever.

Thing is, he might be worth more to a team that is going to a run a four-down defense, where he can play end exclusively, than he is to us, where his production can be replaced and even manufactured due to the scheme. I could see a team like the Eagles or Bucs or whoever else offering him four years, $35m, while we're offering three years, $20m, or whatever.

Could be. We all know in the NFL it's all about the guaranteed money. I'm not sure how many years he has left, performing at that kind of level.

I understand it both sides. As a player, you need to make as much money as possible because your career is so short. And as a fan I understand the "how much money do you need, where's the loyalty?" argument.

I'd like to see him retire as a Colt, but if I were Grigs, I'd only offer what he's worth to our team. If someone else wants to overpay him - I'd wish him the best and thank him for the memories.

I'm a little worried about Patty Mac. He's due for his well deserved payday, but that's not my big concern. My concern is that he has made no secret about his desire to be given an opportunity to kick field goals. I know that several people on this board have shared their qualms about his abilitiy to be a full time place kicker at this point in his career; however, if another team wants him, they can use that to lure him away (and let's face it, there are plenty of teams with garbage kickers that wouldn't mind taking a flier). What are your thoughts? Adam has not exactly been a model of consistency this year, although he hasn't been Mason Crosby either haha. I would not mind seeing McAfee drill it through the uprights next year...

I'm a little worried about Patty Mac. He's due for his well deserved payday, but that's not my big concern. My concern is that he has made no secret about his desire to be given an opportunity to kick field goals. I know that several people on this board have shared their qualms about his abilitiy to be a full time place kicker at this point in his career; however, if another team wants him, they can use that to lure him away (and let's face it, there are plenty of teams with garbage kickers that wouldn't mind taking a flier). What are your thoughts? Adam has not exactly been a model of consistency this year, although he hasn't been Mason Crosby either haha. I would not mind seeing McAfee drill it through the uprights next year...

Pat will most likely be one of our first re-signings this next offseason. I haven't heard much lately from him about kicking FGs. He has made comments in the past, but I think he is very content just Punting and doing KOs. I think we will give him his much deserved pay day. JMO

Pat will most likely be one of our first re-signings this next offseason. I haven't heard much lately from him about kicking FGs. He has made comments in the past, but I think he is very content just Punting and doing KOs. I think we will give him his much deserved pay day. JMO

I do think he wants a shot, at least, to be a place kicker. But Vinatieri's contract is up after next season. That might be enough to get McAfee to stay away from free agency.

moala is a must keep??? hmmmmm

I don't think he's a must keep, but I would definitely want to keep him. He fits the three-man front much better than he did the four-man front (and he wasn't as bad at tackle as people have suggested, either). And he's still young, and looked much better at the beginning of this season.

He won't get big money, but three years, $10m? Let's do it.

I question the likelihood of Stanton returning. He was looking to start when he signed in NY. His potential dropped when they brought in Tebow, and he argued his way out of there. I don't suspect he has any reason to think he'd start here. He'd be better off in KC, Cleveland (organizational changes going on there), and maybe a few other places. I dunno, but he isn't a lock, IMO..

I think you're right on the money about this, also I see the Colts with more interest in keeping Harnish for the future (possible trade bait) than Stanton. IMO, Stanton will not be a Colt next year.

DT Fili Moala $900,000

QB Drew Stanton $750,000

WR Donnie Avery $615,000

LB Moise Fokou $615,000

OG Seth Olsen $540,000

LG Joe Reitz $540,000

CB Darius Butler

TE Weslye Saunders

Theses are the player i think we should keep I know i am a Freeny Fan but he not very good in a 3 4 Defense....... I actually kind of Sucks and Hughes is actually better