Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Houston's Schedule

SilentHill

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/season-schedule.html

I decided to take a look at the schedule of the Texans after that blowout last night.

I was actually very surprised by what I found.

The Texans defense is pretty stout, but let's look at the QB's they faced to get those wins.

Week 1. Ryan Tannehill = W 30-10

Week 2. Blaine Gabbert = W 27-7

Week 3 Peyton Manning = W 31-25

Week 4. Locker / Hasselbeck = W 38-14

Week 5. Mark Sanchez = W 23-17

Week 6. Aaron Rodgers = L 42-24

Week 7 Joe Flacco = W 43-13

Week 9 Ryan Fitzpatrick = W 21-9

Week 10 Cutler / Campbell = W 13-6

Week 11 Gabbert / Henne = W 43-37

Week 12 Matthew Stafford = W 34-31

Week 13 Jake Locker = W 24-10

Week 14 Tom Brady = L 42-14

I don't know, maybe it's just me but these statistics seem encouraging. The Texans have been squeaking out wins by about one score since week 10. Texans haven't really done well against really good QB's except Manning, but he was still rusty at week 3. In 3 separate games this year Texans faced the backup QB off the bench due to injury.

Maybe it's just me, but looking at this on paper, I think the Colts have a much better chance to win than I had originally thought. Now i'm not saying we are a lock to win, that is just foolish, but I think we stand a better chance than most are giving us credit for.

Anyone else find this interesting?

Houston has struggled against pass-heavy offenses, which is why I'm not even close to writing off the Colts.

I actually think the Colts can pull off the win this week.

true especially explosive pass heavy offenses like ne and greenbay if we could jump out to lead and force schaub to beat us i think we win

http://www.houstonte...n-schedule.html

I decided to take a look at the schedule of the Texans after that blowout last night.

The Texans defense is pretty stout, but let's look at the QB's they faced to get those wins.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but these statistics seem encouraging. The Texans have been squeaking out wins by about one score since week 10. Texans haven't really done well against really good QB's except Manning, but he was still rusty at week 3. In 3 separate games this year Texans faced the backup QB off the bench due to injury.

Maybe it's just me, but looking at this on paper, I think the Colts have a much better chance to win than I had originally thought. Now i'm not saying we are a lock to win, that is just foolish, but I think we stand a better chance than most are giving us credit for.

Don't find it interesting at all.

1) It is virtually the same schedule the Colts have played.

2) What they have done in the past has no bearing on how the game on Sunday will go.

3) What is relevant are match-ups and the majority of those favor Houston.

Put me in the agree column as well. Explain to me blocking scheme we will implement to slow down JJ Watt. Last week we basically had no answers in the first half for the Titans rush. Sometimes you just have to admit the other team is better. Houston does not want to go back to New England so the home field incentive is huge. New England destroys everyone in there house. What did the Colts do there? Lets just take the two New England contest for comparisons. Case closed.

Don't find it interesting at all.

1) It is virtually the same schedule the Colts have played.

2) What they have done in the past has no bearing on how the game on Sunday will go.

3) What is relevant are match-ups and the majority of those favor Houston.

Exactly.

I'm sure if the original poster looked at who the Colts have played and how often they have been managing to, as he put it, 'squeak out wins by one score', then he would take a step back as well.

Exactly.

I'm sure if the original poster looked at who the Colts have played and how often they have been managing to, as he put it, 'squeak out wins by one score', then he would take a step back as well.

That is true. But the Colts aren't supposed to be winning, aren't rated very high, and aren't considered a SB contender. Although I don't really think this analysis shows us much, I think the point you made is just what the OP was trying to say: based on these games and these numbers Houston looks as good, or as beatable, as the Colts.

Yes it is interesting, it implies their D isnt as stout as we think. I'm more concerned about our D facing their offense. Another test against a big WR. They also have a very good QB, and top 5 RB.

It's not. The Dline is still very good but the LBers and secondary are kinda struggling. The injury bug is catching up to them on D, if we can shut down Foster we have a good chance. While Houston on the other hand is looking at our Oline and lack of RBs as our biggest weakness.

I still see him running all over our defense!

Yes and the problem is that the Texans had never beaten us until that game so like a duckling imprinting on the mother duck their institution memory since that game is that when they beat us they do it by running all over us (as they did in the opener last year). For sure they'll believe they can run right thru us.

Yes and the problem is that the Texans had never beaten us until that game so like a duckling imprinting on the mother duck their institution memory since that game is that when they beat us they do it by running all over us (as they did in the opener last year). *For sure they'll believe they can run right thru us.*

This is a horse of a different color though.

The only interesting part is the nature of the Texans games. They don't blow teams out, and the Colts win close games.

Texans apparently do more pass defense at the line than in the secondary.

I'm not counting on anything other than a difficult 60 minutes, but the Colts aren't buried yet.

Exactly.

I don't think the point was that the Texans aren't good, certainly not that they aren't better than the Colts. What I got from it was just that, even though they're good and have been winning, they've been in close games. It's possible that this game could be close, and we do a pretty good job in one score games.

In other words, don't write the Colts off just yet.

The Texans don't know that yet (but hopefully after Sunday they will).

We better though, what I've been hearing is their passing offense greatly depends on Foster being successful on the ground, they can not just rely on Schabb passing the ball. That might sound cliche but many passing offenses don't need to be set up by the run, I guess Houston is extremely dependent on it.

Exactly.

No, actually I was well aware, the point is that we WIN the one score games, losing just one all season on last second TD that we fell apart on.

If we keep it close we have a very good chance to win.

http://www.houstonte...n-schedule.html

yea, same here, i am starting to get more confidence than I had about a week to a week and a half ago. I was desperatly worried about how our moral would take a kick in the pants if we got slaughtered in Houston, now it's still a possibility but there is a lot of pride at stake and I think the Colts will play as hard as they can because a playoff birth is at stake. Oh wait, did I say steak/stake, time to go to the van and eat.

No, actually I was well aware, the point is that we WIN the one score games, losing just one all season on last second TD that we fell apart on.

So I'm just going to come out and ask the question...

Since Houston has only lost 2 games, and neither were close... Wouldn't that leave them undefeated in close games?

I'm not sure the OP's point is entirely relevant in this game. Since the Colts haven't blown anyone away, of course I'd prefer a close game (so you're saying there's a chance) over getting romped... but the Texans are pretty darned good in close games too.

It may be more relevant to suggest we discard the first few games for the Colts (as too green), and compare what's happened since to the Texans' results...

Sweep Titans... check

Win in a shoot out over the Lions... check

Get blown out by the Patriots... check

Beat down the Jags on the road... check

Hold court with the Fins and Bills... check

These 2 teams may now be more equal than many think. All our rookies aren't really so rookie-esque any more, and we've been seeing better play on the road (except in NE).

Put me in the agree column as well. Explain to me blocking scheme we will implement to slow down JJ Watt. Last week we basically had no answers in the first half for the Titans rush. Sometimes you just have to admit the other team is better. Houston does not want to go back to New England so the home field incentive is huge. New England destroys everyone in there house. What did the Colts do there? Lets just take the two New England contest for comparisons. Case closed.

Seriously? Following that logic, we should have written off these Colts in a vast majority of our games. Obviously the Texans are a "better" team, both record wise and matchup wise. That is totally irrelevant though. I mean our 2-14 Colts last year beat the Texans when we were at a significant disadvantage. I'll concede all day that they're a "better" team, but that doesn't mean I dont think we can go into Houston and smack them in the face. This is football, not basketball where certain players just decide to turn it on and the other team has no chance. It requires a complete team effort. Now that is not to say that I think a victory in Houston is likely; however, not many of our wins this year have been likely. Now if you really want to compare something in our favor, let's talk clutch factor. We know how to win ugly, the Texans don't (unless you count the Jags game haha). They haven't really been tested by a ton of teams this year until recently, and the ones they have been tested by have blown them out. The Jags and Detroit almost beat the Texans and we have far more heart than them. Just because the advantages we own over the Texans aren't quantifiable does not mean that they are any less significant to the outcome of the game. If we keep Luck upright, then we have as good a chance as anyone.

Winning ugly only gets so far. Matchups are the most important in the NFL and we do not match up well. Are running back is not even close to theirs. Our blocking schemes will not stop JJ Watt the way New England did. When you just get down to basic fundamental football, the knowledgeable realistic football fan understands why Houston is favored. That does not mean the Colts cannot beat them. The fact is more times than not the better team wins. It is sometimes tough to swallow, but at this point it is definitely a huge challenge for the Colts to defeat the Texans.

Winning ugly only gets so far. Matchups are the most important in the NFL and we do not match up well. Are running back is not even close to theirs. Our blocking schemes will not stop JJ Watt the way New England did. When you just get down to basic fundamental football, the knowledgeable realistic football fan understands why Houston is favored. That does not mean the Colts cannot beat them. The fact is more times than not the better team wins. It is sometimes tough to swallow, but at this point it is definitely a huge challenge for the Colts to defeat the Texans.

I agree. The Colts should just forfeit. 2-0. KC next.

lol. thats really going out on a limb.

All I know is that if they Hurt Luck...... We got a Problem.

We have Mr. Irrelevant. I'm not worried.

^ l iike this guy.

Not sure I understand. The Colts actually didn't look as bad as the Texans looked. We even led on a couple of occasions. The Texans were beat in the first quarter.