Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How well do we match up against Houston?

Flash7

Does our team strengths match up well against Houston?

Recently, Houston has shown that their weakness is against teams that can spread the ball and pass intermediate and deep. This is our strength. Of course, the O-line must block well for this to happen and this is our weakness. We're not a strong running team, nor are we committed to the run.

Houston is a balanced team that can run very well and pass well. It will be a tough test for our defense.

What are your thoughts?

Recently, Houston has shown that their weakness is against teams that can spread the ball and pass intermediate and deep. This is our strength. Of course, the O-line must block well for this to happen and this is our weakness. We're not a strong running team, nor are we committed to the run.

Houston is a balanced team that can run very well and pass well. It will be a tough test for our defense.

What are your thoughts?

we can attack their secondary.....That's about it.

they're better on both lines and at every skill position on offense except QB

What are your thoughts?

We're not New England. They have a really good run game, and they pass block really well. And that Brady guy is pretty effective in the pocket. We DO NOT match up well against the Texans, bottom line. Their front seven has a great advantage over our protection and blocking.

And on the other side of the ball, if we're not disciplined up front, they can dominate us on the ground like the Jets did.

I'm resigned to a loss this Sunday. Just not a good matchup for us.

I don't think our O line matches up well at all. Watt will be just as much of a factor as Mario Williams and Suh were. Heck the Titans were very physical at the line of scrimmage last week.

The odds that any other component becomes more relevant than that fact is negligible.

On D. We keep em under 28 points and it's winnable.

Turnovers and Special Teams are a must win for the Colts.

We're not New England. They have a really good run game, and they pass block really well. And that Brady guy is pretty effective in the pocket. We DO NOT match up well against the Texans, bottom line. Their front seven has a great advantage over our protection and blocking.

And on the other side of the ball, if we're not disciplined up front, they can dominate us on the ground like the Jets did.

I'm resigned to a loss this Sunday. Just not a good matchup for us.

Fair enough, however, let me ask you this. What if you are the coach of the Colts and you had to gameplan for a win. What would be your "keys" to the game?

Our Run D is great this year, after the Jets game they definitely made the right adjustments because all season none of the big time RBs have had great games against us

Forte-80 yds

AD-60 yds

MJD-177 yds (yuck)

Alex Green-63 yds

Shonn Green- 161 yds (yuck again)

T. Rich- 8 yds

CJ28- 99 yds

Bush- 41 yds

Ridley- 28 yds

Spiller- 107 yds

CJ28 again- 44 yds

Texans arent the same team when they have to rely solely on Schaub...Schaub isn't elite yet....

Our Run D is great this year, after the Jets game they definitely made the right adjustments because all season none of the big time RBs have had great games against us

Forte-80 yds

AD-60 yds

MJD-177 yds (yuck)

Alex Green-63 yds

T. Rich- 8 yds

CJ28- 99 yds

Bush- 41 yds

Ridley- 28 yds

Spiller- 107 yds

CJ28 again- 44 yds

Texans arent the same team when they have to rely solely on Schaub...Schaub isn't elite yet....

and spillers yardage a good chunk came on 1 play

Forte-80 yds

AD-60 yds

MJD-177 yds (yuck)

Alex Green-63 yds

T. Rich- 8 yds

CJ28- 99 yds

Bush- 41 yds

Ridley- 28 yds

Spiller- 107 yds

CJ28 again- 44 yds

Consider last week Locker gained more rushing yards then Johnson

and spillers yardage a good chunk came on 1 play

Exactly! I think their focus will be to make the team one dimensional. I feel better about Vontae on AJ, because while AJ is a big WR he's no Megatron and he's no B Marshal...he reminds me more of a Reggie Wayne Lite, more cerebral than physical, he beats folks more with his ability...New England's strategy was to force him to do that with one on ones last night and it was very successful...who's next? Jean, Kevin Walters??? Good Players but more down to earth.

Our defense can beat the Houston offense, as long as we show the same ability to stop the run that we have been seeing.

The real question, and the deciding factor of the game, is will our o-line hold it's own against the Houston defense.

BINGO!!! Watt beat up on Brady last night, he didn't get a sack but he made his presence felt all night exploited mismatches all over the line....I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE the proper adjustments are made to the Line this week otherwise Luck is going to get hurt.

It's pretty simple:

If Arians pulls his head out of (wherever it is) and watches the Pats tape, then he will realize if we dink and dunk their Defense, we can win. If he is hard headed and doesn't adjust for the team we are playing (and just wants to throw 20+ yard plays all day) then we are going to lose.

Fair enough, however, let me ask you this. What if you are the coach of the Colts and you had to gameplan for a win. What would be your "keys" to the game?

That's actually one of the reasons I'm not confident we can (or will) win. My key to the game, offensively, would be to use plays that minimize the effectiveness of Houston's pass rush, and that's not something Arians has done so far this season. I'd be calling middle screens and flat-outs for the backs, I'd send the tight ends on short corners, run slants with my quick receivers, run some Manning/Moore Indy route combinations, etc. I'd throw in some bootlegs and get Luck on the run, making their defensive front chase him around. And then, from time to time, I'd wind up some deep looks off of play-action or max protect.

I don't think Arians will do any of that. I think he'll call the same kind of plays he always calls, slow-developing routes, empty backfield on third down (although he didn't do that so much against the Titans, thankfully), nothing designed to get the backs the ball in space, no designed quarterback runs, etc. And I think that plays right into what the Texans thrive on.

well joesph is gonna be all over reggie so its gonna be up to avery and hilton to win their matchups against jackson and quinn. i cant see our TEs being used a lot in this game. their probably gonna be asked to block most of the time.

BINGO!!! Watt beat up on Brady last night, he didn't get a sack but he made his presence felt all night exploited mismatches all over the line....I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE the proper adjustments are made to the Line this week otherwise Luck is going to get hurt.

I think if Luck will run a bit more in this game it will help tremendously with the sack issue. I think he needs to come out of the pocket a bit more in this game when he doesn't see anyone open, instead of standing in the pocket waiting on something to happen. There was a lot of room to run last night when Brady scrambled out, and moved up in the pocket.

I think if Luck will run a bit more in this game it will help tremendously with the sack issue. I think he needs to come out of the pocket a bit more in this game when he doesn't see anyone open, instead of standing in the pocket waiting on something to happen. There was a lot of room to run last night when Brady scrambled out, and moved up in the pocket.

Very true.

I think the Texans will run the ball from power sets, occasionally pull the ball out of those stretch plays and throw the roll out pass, and I don't think we will be able to stop it (similar to what happened in the Jets game once they got it going) :gloomy: . If the Texans get ahead by a couple of score they will open up the offense and try to run up the score.

If the Texans give the ball away with a couple of fumbles then we might have a chance to keep it close. Obviously I hope that I am wrong.

Forte-80 yds

AD-60 yds

MJD-177 yds (yuck)

Alex Green-63 yds

T. Rich- 8 yds

CJ28- 99 yds

Bush- 41 yds

Ridley- 28 yds

Spiller- 107 yds

CJ28 again- 44 yds

Shonn Green didn't have such a good game because he's a good back (he's not) but the jets line was so much better than our d-line that day. Unfortunately it's the Texans O-line that scares me not Foster. Will our d-line be pushed around by the Texans (as has happened many times in the past)?

I think the Texans will run the ball from power sets, occasionally pull the ball out of those stretch plays and throw the roll out pass, and I don't think we will be able to stop it (similar to what happened in the Jets game once they got it going) :gloomy: . If the Texans get ahead by a couple of score they will open up the offense and try to run up the score.

If the Texans give the ball away with a couple of fumbles then we might have a chance to keep it close. Obviously I hope that I am wrong.

Unfortunately, I tend to feel similar. They can have a balanced attack so they will find which one our D is keyed on and go with the other until they soften us up on both. If we shut down the run they'll throw from run formations, or from the bootleg to AJ or OD etc. to unclog the running lanes. We have to not turn it over a problem in road games, and even the rare home game) and force red zone FG's at least 66% of the time.

I wish this first game was at LOS instead of Reliant. No matter how you look at it, playoff type learning begins Sunday for our youngsters (and vets). Valuable for this, and the coming years.

Fact is, we don't match up well with the Texans. Penalties, Turnovers, and special teams will be essential to even make it close.

For us to win, Luck has to throw the ball and complete at least 60% of his passes.

Ballard will have to run for at least 100 yards.

Defense will have to hold Foster to under 100 yards.

We aren't going to hold Schaub to anything, hopefully we can create enough pressure to make him force throws.

I think it all depends on how our OLine holds up. Offensively, we match up well because, as pointed out, Houston is not great defending medium to long passes, which is basically all we ever do. And on defense, we have actually be very good at stopping the run. So it will be up to getting pressure on Schaub. Maybe we'll borrow from the Patriots strategy. Plan man coverage, stack the line to the run and put pressure on the QB, and see if Schaub has learned to beat it.

When did they pull Schaub last night? What was it? Like 5 minutes left? Can you imagine if we ever did that with PM, no matter what the score? To me thats a team with some quit in them, which means we need to get out to a lead.

if schaub plays like this week, i could see a good close game, maybe win by a fieldgoal

Let's face it, how well does a team in rebuilding mode with a rookie QB, poor pass protection, below average running game and bottom end defense match up with anyone? Yet, here they are. :)

Given what has transpired to date, somehow I think they will make it a game.