Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A new fear

runthepost

Well our colts are 9-4 which is greattttt but last year the Bengals finished 10 -6 with a rookie QB Andy Dalton and we will finish either 10 and 6 or 11 and 5 with our rookie QB Luck. Do you know why we both have a good record?? Our cupcake schedule is the reason. I have a bad feeling that houston will make us look like the ravens when they played them or worse. But my point is when we play a playoff team we get destroyed. I know you'll say we beat the packers but they were sucking when we played them. Now in the playoffs if we play @denver we get destroyed but other than that I am proud of our colts this year!!!

Thoughts??

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well our colts are 9-4 which is greattttt but last year the Bengals finished 10 -6 with a rookie QB Andy Dalton and we will finish either 10 and 6 or 11 and 5 with our rookie QB Luck. Do you know why we both have a good record?? Our cupcake schedule is the reason. I have a bad feeling that houston will make us look like the ravens when they played them or worse. But my point is when we play a playoff team we get destroyed. I know you'll say we beat the packers but they were sucking when we played them. Now in the playoffs if we play @denver we get destroyed but other than that I am proud of our colts this year!!!

Thoughts??

The schedule is only affected by two games. Other than that, it is what it is. I'm so tired of hearing about our "cupcake schedule." We have the same schedule we would have had if we had been first place last season, with the exception of two games.

Thoughts??

Do you realize the Texans had the exact same schedule as we did minus 2 teams? They played everybody we played, the only difference was the Broncos and the Ravens. Given the fact that all of a sudden everyone is clamoring to play the Ravens for some reason or another, seems like the major difficulty in the Texans schedule was really the Broncos. All their other competition was teams we played or a team like the Ravens who most of this forums audience feel are not that elite anymore. I don't think we can point to our schedule and use "Cupcake" as an excuse.

Poor Indy our schedule will be so tough next season and Indy has no second round pick..

Oh no....

But fear not grasshopper... Indy is roughly 35m under the cap next season. It will be like having 2 #1's and a couple #2's next year on TOP of our draft. Something tells me Indy will be prepared for the "tough" schedule Indy will have to go through next season.

Thoughts??

Well this doesn't bother me because this isn't a Manning team where you thought they were a Super Bowl team at all. This was a team that MOST people would have been happy with five to six wins. So this is just icing on the cake. The good news is we are putting ourselves in poistion to be the five seed which will play the four seed which will be the AFC North Champion in all likely hood and I think the Colts can hold their own with them if not beat them out right.

I'm sorry! I just never look at any team and automatically assume they are going to put up 50 or 100 points on us. After all these games we have played there should be enough people that realize you've got to fight the Colts for 60 minutes. The only times I've seen that wasn't the case it didn't have a whole lot to do with the Eliteness(if that's a word) of the opponent. It had more to do with us being sloppy in the execution of our scheme. We are not pushovers. We fight people!

Poor Indy our schedule will be so tough next season and Indy has no second round pick..

Oh no....

But fear not grasshopper... Indy is roughly 35m under the cap next season. It will be like having 2 #1's and a couple #2's next year on TOP of our draft. Something tells me Indy will be prepared for the "tough" schedule Indy will have to go through next season.

Really our schedule wont be THAT bad next year.

We have the six division games and while the Texans will be a bear the Jags and Titans are two of the worst teams in football.

We play the weakest division in the AFC next year in the AFC West. Again the Broncos will be a bear but the rest of that division is pretty weak. The Raiders and Chiefs are two of the worst teams in football again and the Chargers are looking at starting a rebuilding process this off-season. We get the hard game at home where the Colts have been really good too.

We will then probably get the second place teams from the AFC East and AFC North which means no New England which is the only team you fear out of the East and either the Bengals or Steelers who are on the same level as the Colts and I think we get the AFC North team at home.

Then from the NFC we get the NFC west which again has what might be our hardest road trips of the season outside of Houston in going to Seattle and the 49ers but we get the Rams and Cardinals at home.

I could easily see 11-5 vs. that schedule and that's with us losing to the Texans twice, Broncos, 49ers, and Seahawks which is just about every really hard game on schedule. Something tells me the Colts will get at least one or two of those.

Really our schedule wont be THAT bad next year.

We have the six division games and while the Texans will be a bear the Jags and Titans are two of the worst teams in football.

We play the weakest division in the AFC next year in the AFC West. Again the Broncos will be a bear but the rest of that division is pretty weak. The Raiders and Chiefs are two of the worst teams in football again and the Chargers are looking at starting a rebuilding process this off-season. We get the hard game at home where the Colts have been really good too.

We will then probably get the second place teams from the AFC East and AFC North which means no New England which is the only team you fear out of the East and either the Bengals or Steelers who are on the same level as the Colts and I think we get the AFC North team at home.

Then from the NFC we get the NFC west which again has what might be our hardest road trips of the season outside of Houston in going to Seattle and the 49ers but we get the Rams and Cardinals at home.

I could easily see 11-5 vs. that schedule and that's with us losing to the Texans twice, Broncos, 49ers, and Seahawks which is just about every really hard game on schedule. Something tells me the Colts will get at least one or two of those.

I totally agree..

I was being snarky... ;)

As others said, you can only beat who you play.

Next year we get the NFC and AFC West teams. Plus, more than likely, the Jets at home and either the Bengals or Steelers at their place.

I'd say the West divisions are probably weaker than the others. Denver and three losing teams, SF, Seattle, and two losing teams. Of course this is based on this years record. We were the cupcake on everyone's schedule this year. Didn't quite work out that way.

Who knows, maybe St. Louis, Arizona, or KC turn it around next year?

Oh no....

I think you're setting yourself up for some serious disappointment. Really.

As others said, you can only beat who you play.

Next year we get the NFC and AFC West teams. Plus, more than likely, the Jets at home and either the Bengals or Steelers at their place.

I'd say the West divisions are probably weaker than the others. Denver and three losing teams, SF, Seattle, and two losing teams. Of course this is based on this years record. We were the cupcake on everyone's schedule this year. Didn't quite work out that way.

Who knows, maybe St. Louis, Arizona, or KC turn it around next year?

1) Could be the Dolphins or the Bills, depending on what happens these next couple of weeks. The Jets are only one game ahead of both. And I think, despite the records, the Dolphins are better than the Jets right now anyways.

2) Like you said, you never know what next year's teams are going to look like. The AFC West will probably have two new coaches next season, and there have been plenty of worst to first stories over the last two or three years. Harbaugh turned the 49ers into a 14 win team in one year; I could see the Chargers being a threat next season. The Chiefs are probably further away, but I doubt those two teams will be as bad next season.

3) The Cardinals will also have a new coach, more than likely (surprised Whisenhunt has lasted this long). And the Rams might make a move upward. I don't think either of those divisions are as "easy" as people suggest.

4) The last bolded part is awesome. What a difference a year makes...

The schedule is only affected by two games. Other than that, it is what it is. I'm so tired of hearing about our "cupcake schedule." We have the same schedule we would have had if we had been first place last season, with the exception of two games.

Sorry..... I think you're conflating some issues. Our 'cupcake schedule' isn't mean to imply that this is college football where you can go out and schedule who you want. As you note, our schedule is what it is.

The problem is.... who have we played? How many teams are what most thought they'd be at the start of the season? Seriously. I think the answer is.... almost none.

Houston (and we haven't played them yet) and New England (and we all know how that turned out)

Otherwise, every team we've played is either worse than projected, or roughly the same as they were projected. Bottom line, this schedule is soft. Very soft. It may not be the Colts' fault.... we have nothing to apologize for, but it is what it is -- soft as tissue paper. And yet we barely beat very poor teams. It should be worrisome for the future, both playoffs and next year as well...

Just my two cents....

The Colts opponents this season so far are 65-107. We know those number go up with the Texans left, twice. Just for comparison sake, the Steelers, the team right behind the Colts in the playoff chase today, their opponents are 82-90 so far. Schedule matters. Who and where and when matters. Sure it's a rotation, and the NFL picks all but two, but lets take Detroit, just as an example. Short trip for the Colts, dome like home, and when they got them the Lions are 4-8 after suffering a heartbreaking loss on Thanksgiving. Compare that to at SF, SD, Ari next season all longer trips, all outdoors, all grass. What if two of those are back to back? Or how about road game out west turning around to road Thursday night game against a divisional opponent? Or three road games in a row (Texans are about to finish that stretch)? It isn't just about who a team plays, but where and when impacts results tremendously. East traveling west, west to east, road Thursday teams... schedule matters.

I'm not sure why our Schedule is called a Cupcake one. We were 2-14 last year!!! Everyone is supposed to be "better" than us. They had us #32 in the Power Polls!!! If teams can't beat us, that's their fault not ours. This is no Cupcake walk. People are just Mad cause we're doing better than they predicted us doing. We just find ways to Win that's all. Our team plays for 60 minutes!!!!

Sorry..... I think you're conflating some issues. Our 'cupcake schedule' isn't mean to imply that this is college football where you can go out and schedule who you want. As you note, our schedule is what it is.

The problem is.... who have we played? How many teams are what most thought they'd be at the start of the season? Seriously. I think the answer is.... almost none.

Houston (and we haven't played them yet) and New England (and we all know how that turned out)

Otherwise, every team we've played is either worse than projected, or roughly the same as they were projected. Bottom line, this schedule is soft. Very soft. It may not be the Colts' fault.... we have nothing to apologize for, but it is what it is -- soft as tissue paper. And yet we barely beat very poor teams. It should be worrisome for the future, both playoffs and next year as well...

Just my two cents....

I'm not.

Our schedule is what it is. We've played the teams we were supposed to play. People keep talking about a soft schedule, but we have the same schedule as everyone else in our division, aside from two games. Have the Texans had a soft schedule? The only two games that are different are the Broncos and the Ravens. But for instance, people will remember that the Broncos finished strong, but they won't remember how the Broncos looked in September, when Manning had a "noodle arm." Meanwhile, the Dolphins have taken a step back, but when we played them, they were one of the better defensive teams in the league. You can't just take a snapshot of a team's schedule, compare it to another team's, and say "they had an easier schedule." That's not always the case.

And on top of that, the Texans play us twice. We play them twice. That somewhat makes up for the other two games of theirs that are "tougher" than our AFC placement games.

Not sure what you mean by "we barely beat very poor teams." What very poor teams have we played? The Jags? We rolled them. The Titans? Ehh, divisional games are tough. You could have said that a number of times during the 2009 season, but we WON, which is what matters. And the Lions are not a very poor team. Underachieving, maybe, but very talented, and they lost to the Titans as well, telling you something about how anyone can beat anyone else at anytime. If we had dominated all of those close games, wouldn't it lower our strength of schedule? Isn't the fact that we've had so many close games a testament to the fact that it doesn't matter who you play, so long as you win?

And here's what my point is: Our schedule is what it is. Each team in the division has basically the same schedule. If we got a couple of easier games because of our record last season, okay, fine, but that's two games out of sixteen. Literally 12.5% of the schedule. There's still fourteen other games that are locked in stone, and twelve of those are identical to the other teams in the division. Too much noise about our schedule, for my tastes, that is. If others want to downgrade the accomplishments of this team because we haven't played the teams they think we should have played, be my guest. But I personally don't buy into the "cupcake schedule" argument. We play we we're told to play, and we've won nine of thirteen games. That's a good thing.

Let's see: Won 2 games last year. Team gutted over the summer. Replaced entire team save a couple of people with rookies. Lost arguably the greatest QB of the modern era! Drafted a brand new QB fresh in the NFLwith no experience. Develope a new identity and game plan over the summer. Head coach out battling for his life litterally. December rolls around and we are a 9-4 team! This is a freakin' hollywood script! We're suppose to be playing like the Eagles are! It's suppose to be a whole year for us to get our act together! Do you understand that we was suppose to suck!

Just sit back, enjoy the ride, and be proud of your team! I don't care what nobody says, The Colts have earned every game they won because they fought for it!

Our cupcake schedule is the reason. I have a bad feeling that houston will make us look like the ravens when they played them or worse.

Thankfully, the NFL isn't setup like College Football with subjective polling. lol. *just want to punch those analyst sometimes*

But yeah....cupcakes or not, you beat who was placed in front of you and that's all that matters.

Just my two cents....

I agree with many of your posts but this is one I can't agree with at all. Like others have already said multiple times, we can't help who we play, we can't help that other teams that we have played have turned out to be much worse than expected. Yeah, looking at the schedule with the benefit of hind sight, it's easy to say we had an easy schedule, but most didn't feel that way 4 months ago. I also don't know why anybody would be worried for the future. We have a ton of money to upgrade at almost any position we choose to do so. If anything, every other team in the division should be extremely worried that the Colts are winning already with a bunch of rookie's and mediocre players. What is going to happen once we finally get some talent blocking for Luck, whats gonna happen when we have a talented rotation on the D-line and better CB's. Things couldn't look better for the Colts future and there certainly isn't anything to worried about.

I think you're setting yourself up for some serious disappointment. Really.

Really? I have been sporting Colt gear since the Mayflower rolled into town... I have been through "disappointment" ...

This is exciting, fresh, and FUN. You have been poo pooing this squad all year for one reason or one thing or another. I don't get it. This is not a fluke like 95 was. This team has a great YOUNG core. And above all they have a great staff, and GREAT LEADERS.

Enjoy it... This team will be fine next season. One year older and lots of cap space for the Executive of the year to play with. It's all good. They may not win 10 games but they will not be horrible either. The foundation is being built, it is a process.

"WHY NOT INDY?" you never have answered that question...

Oh no....

Im out of likes John but your right on the money this teams not going away IMO :thmup: