Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seth Olsen

unitaswestand

He was pretty good in the running game. WHen it came to pass protection, he didn't look good. Keep in mind he's a backup. The Colts will have to endure at least 4 more bad games (pass blocking wise) from our interior O-line.

They'll find some guys in the offseason.

Yep. Olsen struggled a great deal today. It was also his first game back from IR, forced into action early. He's not as bad as people want to make him out to be, though. He brings a more physical presence than Reitz or Link at the LG spot.

Yep. Olsen struggled a great deal today. It was also his first game back from IR, forced into action early. He's not as bad as people want to make him out to be, though. He brings a more physical presence than Reitz or Link at the LG spot.

Sorry, but thats comical. Olsen doesn't deserve to play in the NFL. There is nothing about his game that is more physical than Reitz or Link or anybody else for that matter. Olsen wasn't just bad because it was his 1st game back, he was terrible earlier in the season too. He has to be one of the worst(if not the absolute worst) O-lineman in the game. There are no excuses for him.

Olsen did struggle early. But late in 4th quarter he was opening big holes for Ballard.

Did anyone notice how the pass protection improved once Shipley and Linkenbach went in?

I wonder to myself every game why Arians won't make Shipley the starter. Just better than Satele

Justice wasn't actually worse than Olsen today in pass protection.

Once Link and AQ came in, things were actually a lot smoother, even Olsen played better.

Yeah I dont think ive ever been happy to see Linkenbach on the field until today when he replaced Justice.

I think im coming around about Shipley getting a chance at C too.

Yeah I dont think ive ever been happy to see Linkenbach on the field until today when he replaced Justice.

I think im coming around about Shipley getting a chance at C too.

Yeah, I immediately felt better when Link came in. And he was doing very well for Justice because Justice was looking like Tony Mandarich at RT.

AQ definitely should get considered for starting Center because Satele was getting blown up all game.

Yeah, I immediately felt better when Link came in. And he was doing very well for Justice because Justice was looking like Tony Mandarich at RT.

AQ definitely should get considered for starting Center because Satele was getting blown up all game.

In all fairness, Mandarich was very good on the Colts. Had he not had to retire because of a shoulder injury, I think he could have bee a Pro Bowl guard. I remember watching a game between the Colts and Packers and Mandarich was playing right tackle. He completed negated Reggie White, reversing what happen to him before going against White.

Olsen did struggle early. But late in 4th quarter he was opening big holes for Ballard.

Did anyone notice how the pass protection improved once Shipley and Linkenbach went in?

Yes and it's been that way every time Shipley has came in. We have run the ball better at least with him in there.

In all fairness, Mandarich was very good on the Colts. Had he not had to retire because of a shoulder injury, I think he could have bee a Pro Bowl guard. I remember watching a game between the Colts and Packers and Mandarich was playing right tackle. He completed negated Reggie White, reversing what happen to him before going against White.

Well I was referring more to the early part of the career at RT for the Packers.

But I would rather have Tony Mandarich right now.

Seriously trying to figure out how this guy (fresh off IR) gets the starting nod over Shipley and Linkenbach, but when our starter (Reitz) came back from an injury, he had to wait 2 weeks before Linkenbach got hurt to reclaim his starting spot?

Seriously trying to figure out how this guy (fresh off IR) gets the starting nod over Shipley and Linkenbach, but when our starter (Reitz) came back from an injury, he had to wait 2 weeks before Linkenbach got hurt to reclaim his starting spot?

Has to have some serious dirt on someone high up!

Very puzzling indeed!

I agree, I think Olsen has to be one of the worst lineman in the league. He got his butt handed to him all day. This team is clearly better with Shipley at center, its not even close, and I would start LInkenbach at guard over Olsen or Mcglynn. When all are healthy our O-line should be Castanzo-Reitz-Shipley- Linkenbach-Justice. Olsen, Satele and Mcglynn are terrible.

Nobody said Olsen was the answer at LG. But people watch a couple of plays where a lineman gets beat and that sums up their opinion. If you watch the body of work of our offensive line this year, Olsen has not been problem people think he is. Link at RT, Satele, Justice today, and McGlynn have all given up their fair share of sacks and hits on Luck, and people are a revolving door on who they want to hate each week. Shipley has been impressive and Link didn't do bad at LG. It was when we had a consistent 3 to 4 game starting lineup for our offensive line that we played the best. Things got shook up pretty bad today and people want to blame one player, but it is often a combination of things.

wish we would have used one of these guys, instead of olsen, i don't much care for mcglynn either.

1. anderson

2. hicks - i know we don't have him anymore

3. brandon washington - rams practice squad

could they be any worse?

I am sure if they thought they were better they would be playing them over Olsen. Just because we don't like Olsen doesn't mean anyone else is automatically better sometimes they aren't. Remember last year people used that logic in wanting us to go to Painter over Collins how did that work out?

There is a reason why Washington is on a practice squad and not anyone'e active roster not just ours and Anderson is a late round rookie pick who has had zero time in the offense, no OTAs, no camp, and no pre-season. You want to see something worse than Olsen? Throw a rookie out there that doesn't know what he's doing yet out there.

That doesn't mean I think Olsen is good just for the record I just don't subscribe to the theory that just because someone is bad that automatically means someone else is better. I would say I don't understand why they were playing him over Link (and yes I know Link ended up coming in later in the game for Justice) who has proven he can play guard in this system however again I am sure there is a reason. Maybe they knew they would need him at tackle later in the game I don't know.

Olsen is a holdover from our ZONE blocking scheme(also drafted by Denver for there Zone scheme) in the previous regime(depth forced to play nothing more nothing less), Thats what he is better at and he is not a freakin Guard in a Man Blocking scheme at 305lbs. Hicks would (in theory) have been better in the scheme at Guard given time.

I am sure if they thought they were better they would be playing them over Olsen. Just because we don't like Olsen doesn't mean anyone else is automatically better sometimes they aren't. Remember last year people used that logic in wanting us to go to Painter over Collins how did that work out?

There is a reason why Washington is on a practice squad and not anyone'e active roster not just ours and Anderson is a late round rookie pick who has had zero time in the offense, no OTAs, no camp, and no pre-season. You want to see something worse than Olsen? Throw a rookie out there that doesn't know what he's doing yet out there.

That doesn't mean I think Olsen is good just for the record I just don't subscribe to the theory that just because someone is bad that automatically means someone else is better. I would say I don't understand why they were playing him over Link (and yes I know Link ended up coming in later in the game for Justice) who has proven he can play guard in this system however again I am sure there is a reason. Maybe they knew they would need him at tackle later in the game I don't know.

This is a really, really good post. Just wanted to put that on the record here.

'Liking' it is one thing... Loving it is another! And I love this post... Nicely done, GoColts, really well done!

Nobody said Olsen was the answer at LG. But people watch a couple of plays where a lineman gets beat and that sums up their opinion. If you watch the body of work of our offensive line this year, Olsen has not been problem people think he is. Link at RT, Satele, Justice today, and McGlynn have all given up their fair share of sacks and hits on Luck, and people are a revolving door on who they want to hate each week. Shipley has been impressive and Link didn't do bad at LG. It was when we had a consistent 3 to 4 game starting lineup for our offensive line that we played the best. Things got shook up pretty bad today and people want to blame one player, but it is often a combination of things.

Wow, Tell your brother, Seth.....that he's terrible and no amount of having you here defending him is gonna change that.

Wow, Tell your brother, Seth.....that he's terrible and no amount of having you here defending him is gonna change that.

Good argument. I'm sure your opinion is built on rock solid information like that 'one play' you recalled. Maybe. In that 'one game'. :loco:

Olsen got beat twice or maybe three times on pass plays yesterday. He did not play great by any means.

However Winston Justice was completely overwhelmed by Derrick Morgan throughout the game.

I have never seen such a total mismatch.

Just like in the first meeting with Tennessee, Justice was terribly ineffective against Morgan.

Finally Justice was replaced due to an injury. Or Luck may very well have been hurt.

Then the O-line played much better and the Colts ended up coming back and winning the game.

Had Justice remained in... I doubt we win.

This was Olsen's first game in weeks. Justice has played the whole year.

Why do we always have a bash Seth Olsen thread? But not a bash Winston Justice thread?

And can we please just forget about Tre Essex?!!!!

Good argument. I'm sure your opinion is built on rock solid information like that 'one play' you recalled. Maybe. In that 'one game'. :loco:

Not at all, My argument is obvious terrible play going back to earlier this season. Don't get offended Seth's brother, there are obvious other problems on the line too. Seth is not the only problem, but he is without doubt the weakest link on an already weak line.

Not at all, My argument is obvious terrible play going back to earlier this season. Don't get offended Seth's brother, there are obvious other problems on the line too. Seth is not the only problem, but he is without doubt the weakest link on an already weak line.

I'm sure your argument is well thought out, and you're entitled to it. Your wonderful quip about being Seth's brother is proof of your logic and thoughtful process in posting. Sheesh.

1959Colts, you are right on the money. There were plenty of mistakes all around yesterday and Justice had his fair share. The Titans blitzed two on our left side on one play, and Castanzo failed to pick up either one. He about got Luck killed on that play, choosing to crash down instead of pick up a blitzer. Satele failed to come off a double team to pick up another defender, and that resulted in a big hit on Luck. There were just a lot of mistakes made, but we got a lot of them fixed in the second half. It also helped that our run game got going.

We need to start Shipley over Satele ASAP. Satele is terrible, he gets pushed back on every play...can't hold the line worth a %. In the offseason, we need to cut Reitz, Olsen, Satele, McGlynn, and Justice. Only OL worth keeping is Costanzo. Re-do the entire line...it's atrocious.