Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Redskins win in OT

PrincetonTiger

I think he's going to be okay. It's likely an LCL sprain just based on how the hit was. He was walking gingerly but well under his own power at the end of the game. I think he'll rest for the Browns game and be back for the Cowboys.

Regardless, he showed incredible toughness and poise to come back out on the field and launch a third down strike to get the Skins to the 15 yard line. Obviously you have to credit Cousins for that inexplicable and incredible TD, but nevertheless that would never have occurred if Griffin didn't come back out. Great all around play by both QBs on that last drive.

my initial thought was possible torn ligament (either MCL or LCL - trying to remember the play in my head). The knee gave quite a bit - sprain and hyper-extension at a minimum.

Simple physics would dictate otherwise. Because he was in the air when he was hit there was no opposing force that could have stretched the ligament enough to tear. You don't see many people tearing their elbow ligmanets when they hyper-extend. It's most likely a ligament sprain.

Simple physics would dictate otherwise. Because he was in the air when he was hit there was no opposing force that could have stretched the ligament enough to tear. You don't see many people tearing their elbow ligmanets when they hyper-extend. It's most likely a ligament sprain.

I know physics...elasticity of ligament, F=MA...momentum/inertia....there's plenty of opposing forces there to cause some damage - seen it happen plenty in my day. That being said, I'm leaning towards sprain as well.

Now I may not be an expert but wouldn't momentum be the opposing force there? Also I've seen more hyper-extensions end with ligament damage than not so methinks we'll have to wait till the MRI.

Now I may not be an expert but wouldn't momentum be the opposing force there? Also I've seen more hyper-extensions end with ligament damage than not so methinks we'll have to wait till the MRI.

There wasn't enough significant momentum in the direction of the Ravens' player to create a significant opposing force. Griffin was moreso heading up field and his leg starts heading towards the other play about a quarter second before contact is made. It could be enough but it doesn't look like it.

depending on where the impact was if the kneecap was driven back into the joint there could be some

cartilage tearing. Not bad enough to cause a lot of pain but will get caught in the joint if the lower leg turns in a certain direction causing the knee not to function correctly. That happened to me years ago. Had to have surgery to remove it. If that is the case he could miss the rest of the season.

There wasn't enough significant momentum in the direction of the Ravens' player to create a significant opposing force. Griffin was moreso heading up field and his leg starts heading towards the other play about a quarter second before contact is made. It could be enough but it doesn't look like it.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. I've only seen the play a few times but will have to wait to see it a few more times.

At any rate a sprain to the knee is still semi-serious. They should rest him till he's 100% to make sure he's not out with a weakened knee. This may cost Washington the playoffs.

depending on where the impact was if the kneecap was driven back into the joint there could be some

cartilage tearing. Not bad enough to cause a lot of pain but will get caught in the joint if the lower leg turns in a certain direction causing the knee not to function correctly. That happened to me years ago. Had to have surgery to remove it. If that is the case he could miss the rest of the season.

I could see that happening. I think he'd play the rest of the season and get a scope as soon as the season is over.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. I've only seen the play a few times but will have to wait to see it a few more times.

At any rate a sprain to the knee is still semi-serious. They should rest him till he's 100% to make sure he's not out with a weakened knee. This may cost Washington the playoffs.

I don't think so. I do think they rest him next week because they're probably confident enough in Cousins to beat the Browns, but I think he's back for the Dallas game.

I could see that happening. I think he'd play the rest of the season and get a scope as soon as the season is over.

I don't think so. I do think they rest him next week because they're probably confident enough in Cousins to beat the Browns, but I think he's back for the Dallas game.

If I were Shanahan I would rest him as much as I could. Especially if Cousins handles the Browns. Don't risk further injury if its indeed just a sprain by putting him in too soon. Also if the Giants win then Shanny needs to consider keeping Cousins in longer. RGIII is your future. If its just a sprain you'll want to keep it thy way and not risk him having to have a surgery.

If I were Shanahan I would rest him as much as I could. Especially if Cousins handles the Browns. Don't risk further injury if its indeed just a sprain by putting him in too soon. Also if the Giants win then Shanny needs to consider keeping Cousins in longer. RGIII is your future. If its just a sprain you'll want to keep it thy way and not risk him having to have a surgery.

Yeah, exactly. Rest him for at least the Browns and maybe Philly depending on how Cousins plays.

X-Rays came back negative and he sounds like he's in good spirits much like he was post-concussion so I'm not worried.

typical football impact is equivalent to about 100 Gs, knee ligament can take about 1700 Newtons of force to tear - 100 Gs is way above that, however in a typical tackle, that force is distributed over a large area. In the case of a lot of knee injuries, its focused into a small point and in the case of Griffin's hit, perpendicular to the tendon on the opposite side. There is a lot of force there, and depending on the exact direction of the hit, and the overall health of Griffin's ligaments (which given training and proper hydration is better than normal) can determine a lot. Even if the directions of force aren't exactly in opposing directions, there's still an awful lot of energy to dissipate over a small area.

My only point is that there is enough force there to tear it if the direction of forces are appropriate (or inappropriate in this case). :P

With the Skins going up against the Browns, Cowboys and Eagles, they could make it to 10 wins.

:hide:

And so long as Cousins can play effectively put up some points they should rest Griffin as much as needed.

Also sets up a pretty sweet scenario if Skins are down, in comes Griffin at the last minute to try and save the season.

I hope the NFL compensates me for this writing.

Exciting game but I'm inclined to believe that it was Griffin's worst to date as a passer, although I will reserve final judgment for when I can take a peak at the all-22. That injury could really haunt us depending on what the prognosis is.

typical football impact is equivalent to about 100 Gs, knee ligament can take about 1700 Newtons of force to tear - 100 Gs is way above that, however in a typical tackle, that force is distributed over a large area. In the case of a lot of knee injuries, its focused into a small point and in the case of Griffin's hit, perpendicular to the tendon on the opposite side. There is a lot of force there, and depending on the exact direction of the hit, and the overall health of Griffin's ligaments (which given training and proper hydration is better than normal) can determine a lot. Even if the directions of force aren't exactly in opposing directions, there's still an awful lot of energy to dissipate over a small area.

My only point is that there is enough force there to tear it if the direction of forces are appropriate (or inappropriate in this case). :P

Ah, got it. Putting it that way is a little more worrisome, but nevertheless I think he (we) got out lucky. He seemed pretty spry in the post game press conference and apparently feels good, and it's sounding like the coaches think he could miss a few days practice and potentially be good to go by Sunday. Just gotta wait and see.

Exciting game but I'm inclined to believe that it was Griffin's worst to date as a passer, although I will reserve final judgment for when I can take a peak at the all-22. That injury could really haunt us depending on what the prognosis is.

Agreed. Didn't help that Polumbus was beaten like a drum all day long. Ravens' defense played very disciplined against the zone read and didn't let the WRs get a lot of separation, so he had to force some throws and at other times hold the ball too long instead of throwing it away. He'll learn. Was also flat-footed a lot and didn't step up in the pocket well. He did have some throws where he was spot-on (3rd and 3 to Garçon comes to mind) that the receivers dropped, but if this is his worst game this season you won't see me complaining.

Cowboys could be fighting for a playoff spot too

Yeah and the Browns are no gimmie either IMO. I know it sounds funny but don't overlook those guys. Trap team.

As for Philly they are like us last year in terms up nothing to lose vs. anyone they play now nearing the end of the year.

A lot of games will be nerve wracking.....Colts vs. Titans was not a gimmie either.

Agreed. Didn't help that Polumbus was beaten like a drum all day long. Ravens' defense played very disciplined against the zone read and didn't let the WRs get a lot of separation, so he had to force some throws and at other times hold the ball too long instead of throwing it away. He'll learn. Was also flat-footed a lot and didn't step up in the pocket well. He did have some throws where he was spot-on (3rd and 3 to Garçon comes to mind) that the receivers dropped, but if this is his worst game this season you won't see me complaining.

He seemed to be getting stuck on his reads today and was not throwing with great anticipation or urgency for a fairly large chunk of the game. He did start hot and ended hot despite the injury. I suspect that the presence of Ed Reed on the other side of the line was a factor in all that but, again, we'll see. I think the tape will say a lot this week.

In other news, I'm glad to see Morris keep on chugging. He's roughly on pace to match Portis' team rushing record. Would love to see that broken this year.

He seemed to be getting stuck on his reads today and was not throwing with great anticipation or urgency for a fairly large chunk of the game. He did start hot and ended hot despite the injury. I suspect that the presence of Ed Reed on the other side of the line was a factor in all that but, again, we'll see. I think the tape will say a lot this week.

In other news, I'm glad to see Morris keep on chugging. He's roughly on pace to match Portis' team rushing record. Would love to see that broken this year.

That might be our WC opponent. Not the Ravens. Just Ed Reed.

He abused Reed with his eyes on his first touchdown. I think the Ravens just played a lot more Cover-2 which is what RG3 has struggled against this year. Add in the fact that the receivers weren't getting a lot of room during the game and just a general "offness" and that's why is culminated into a relatively poor showing. Of course this poor showing is still better than most other QBs (: