Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

we clinched a playoff spot

CR91

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly...5 wins, maybe 6. 9-4, with a strong possibility of at least 10 wins?? No way.

Playoffs??? Hahaha...you're a fool!!

Have to eat my words -I was way wrong. This team is playoff bound. Somebody pinch me!

-d.

Don't worry,,,you weren't the only one. I was right along with you predicting us to go 5-11. Never happier to be wrong! Playoffs aren't clinched yet but we are in a very good position right now. Time to close it out.

they play each other in the last game of the season so one of them will end up 9-7 and the colts already hold the tiebreaker over them both

Bengals play the ravens their last game of the season

YES Bengals play Eagles, Then Steelers Then Ravens

& with that a goodnight

I don't think we clinched yet... I'm not sure of all the tir breakers

I'm pretty sure this is correct. Haven't looked through the rest of the thread yet, so forgive me if someone else has already posted this, but here goes:

The Steelers and Bengals are in 6th and 7th right now, with six losses a piece. They could both win out, and we could lose out, and they'd be ahead of us at 10-6 to our 9-7. We could get pushed down to 7th.

The Jets are in 8th, with seven losses. They could win out, and we could lose out, and we'd have identical 9-7 records, but they would have the tie-breaker due to their head to head victory over us. We could get pushed down to 8th.

I don't even believe we can clinch next week. The Steelers play the Cowboys; the Bengals play the Eagles. If they both win, even if we win, they both can still go past us if we lose our final and they win their final two. Unbelievable, but a 10-6 record doesn't even guarantee us the playoffs at this point. If we win, we guarantee ourselves a better record than the Jets. And if we win and the Bengals or Steelers lose, we guarantee ourselves a better record than one of those two, and then we're in. But that's assuming we win.

If we lose, we don't clinch, period, even if all three of the Steelers, Bengals and Jets lose.

There are a lot of scenarios left. We're probably not looking at a clinching opportunity until Week 16, at the earliest.

its basically a st\raglehold unless we fol;d terribly & afc North wins out bascally & cant as play eachotherr see belopw

Pit & Cincy 7 & 6, we are 9 & 4

Pit & cincy still play eachother so thats a lopss for 1 at least or a tie for both , advantage us

yes but jets can win out to get to 9-7 so colts win, jets loss or bengals and steelers losses gets us in

the D held them to only 3 points in 2nd half , & that 3 yard pick 6 what a momentum changer

NEVER COUNT US OUT -- Chuck Strong

Yup, as bad as the defense was in the first half, it was that good in the second half. And the three points the Titans did score were basically gifted to them by the refs.

The only way we miss the playoffs I believe is either we lose out, and the Steelers and Bengals win 2 and tie when they play eachother(lol), or we lose out and the Jets win out...I think. In other words....we're pretty much in.

The Jets wont win out. Their O stinks. @ Tenn, Chargers, @ Bills. Jets could easily lose all three.

Its not like those 3 teams are exactly Juggernauts.

I do agree the Jets will most likely lose at least one game but you never know.

I'm pretty sure this is correct. Haven't looked through the rest of the thread yet, so forgive me if someone else has already posted this, but here goes:

The Steelers and Bengals are in 6th and 7th right now, with six losses a piece. They could both win out, and we could lose out, and they'd be ahead of us at 10-6 to our 9-7. We could get pushed down to 7th.

The Jets are in 8th, with seven losses. They could win out, and we could lose out, and we'd have identical 9-7 records, but they would have the tie-breaker due to their head to head victory over us. We could get pushed down to 8th.

I don't even believe we can clinch next week. The Steelers play the Cowboys; the Bengals play the Eagles. If they both win, even if we win, they both can still go past us if we lose our final and they win their final two. Unbelievable, but a 10-6 record doesn't even guarantee us the playoffs at this point. If we win, we guarantee ourselves a better record than the Jets. And if we win and the Bengals or Steelers lose, we guarantee ourselves a better record than one of those two, and then we're in. But that's assuming we win.

If we lose, we don't clinch, period, even if all three of the Steelers, Bengals and Jets lose.

There are a lot of scenarios left. We're probably not looking at a clinching opportunity until Week 16, at the earliest.

That's correct, and when I saw the OP, I knew it wasn't right. You are correct in your breakdown. WE CANNOT CLINCH yet. If we lose next week, which is a very high probablity, we are far from getting a playoff spot. It's way to early to start trying to do that math (exact math) because there are too many variables. I like to break things down in a flow chart but when I tried, it looked like spagetti because it's still too early and too many paths and such. After next week, I can put the flow-chart together and post it out here....OR,,,,, by that time, the NFL will have their diagrams and such in all likelihood. Nice job on this post.

Bengals and Steelers CAN'T both win out. They play each other in week 16.

One of the 2 teams can theoretically pass the Colts if the Colts lose out and either the Bengals or Steelers win out. The Colts would hold the tie breaker over the other.

I believe it will only take 1 more Colts win or a Jets loss for the horseshoe to clinch.

One of the 2 teams can theoretically pass the Colts if the Colts lose out and either the Bengals or Steelers win out. The Colts would hold the tie breaker over the other.

I believe it will only take 1 more Colts win or a Jets loss for the horseshoe to clinch.

Very true. Like I said, there's too many variables to really consider so I didn't want to go too deep. Really, the point was just that we haven't clinched, and though we can clinch next week, it's unlikely.

Very true. Like I said, there's too many variables to really consider so I didn't want to go too deep. Really, the point was just that we haven't clinched, and though we can clinch next week, it's unlikely.

The tie breaker for wild card teams from different divisions is conference record. It's really not difficut or complicated ... pretty easy to "go there now."

If we win one more game and finish 10-6 , it would make us 7-5 in conference play. The 10 wins eliminate the Jets and the 7-5 conference record would give us the tei breaker of the lower of the two seeds Cin and Pitt.

Pitt is 4-6 with 2 conf games left if they lose the Cinn game , they finish at best 9-7 and 5-7 in conference. So they are behind us in both win -loss and conf record.

If Cinn wins out , they could tie us at 10-6 and tie us in conf at 7-5. So Pitt would be out and Ind and Cinn go to the next tie breaker to see who gets the 5 seed.

So bottom line is 10 wins and the Jets are out. The only way Pitt could get in is to finish ahead of Cinn record wise. They cannot pass us unless they beat Balt for the division. If this happens , Balt loses two of three and loses the division to Cinn or Pitt , I guess it is possible that we could get left out at 10-6 as Balt would have a btterf conference frecord than us. So I guees it is possible 10 wins doesn't get us in and maybe at least , although I was wrong about that , I've showed how it can happen.

More simply put than my post above , I don't think 10 wins is a clincher. If Balt losses 2 of 3 and loses out to Pitt or Cinn for the division , they would have the tie breaker over us as they already have 8 conference wins. Now if Pitt or Cinn can't win a tie breaker with Balt at 10-6 , then we are in with 10 wins.

More simply put than my post above , I don't think 10 wins is a clincher. If Balt losses 2 of 3 and loses out to Pitt or Cinn for the division , they would have the tie breaker over us as they already have 8 conference wins. Now if Pitt or Cinn can't win a tie breaker with Balt at 10-6 , then we are in with 10 wins.

Uh yeah, 1 more win and we're in no doubt. It was reported on NFL Channel.

Uh yeah, 1 more win and we're in no doubt. It was reported on NFL Channel.

That means Balt has the tie breakers with Pitt and Cinn. I didn't go to wins amoung common opponants (2nd tie breaker) as Pitt and Balt could both end up at 10-6 and 4-2 in the division. Cinn already has 3 division losses , so we know they lose the tie breaker. Thanks, good to hear that.

The tie breaker for wild card teams from different divisions is conference record. It's really not difficut or complicated ... pretty easy to "go there now."

If we win one more game and finish 10-6 , it would make us 7-5 in conference play. The 10 wins eliminate the Jets and the 7-5 conference record would give us the tei breaker of the lower of the two seeds Cin and Pitt.

Pitt is 4-6 with 2 conf games left if they lose the Cinn game , they finish at best 9-7 and 5-7 in conference. So they are behind us in both win -loss and conf record.

If Cinn wins out , they could tie us at 10-6 and tie us in conf at 7-5. So Pitt would be out and Ind and Cinn go to the next tie breaker to see who gets the 5 seed.

So bottom line is 10 wins and the Jets are out. The only way Pitt could get in is to finish ahead of Cinn record wise. They cannot pass us unless they beat Balt for the division. If this happens , Balt loses two of three and loses the division to Cinn or Pitt , I guess it is possible that we could get left out at 10-6 as Balt would have a btterf conference frecord than us. So I guees it is possible 10 wins doesn't get us in and maybe at least , although I was wrong about that , I've showed how it can happen.

Ten wins and we clinch a better record than the Jets, yes. But isn't the first tie-breaker the head-to-head? If the Jets finish 9-7 and we finish 9-7, the Jets are on top by virtue of their win against us, no?

I know there are formulas, and once you lay it out, it's pretty clear cut, but it's still complicated. We could technically have a three-way tie for the 5 and 6 spots, and because two of those teams are divisional opponents and because we haven't played either of them, the breakdown gets pretty hairy.

Only 2 of the AFC North teams can finish above the Colts as it stands right now. The loser of the Bengals - Steelers game has no shot at their division, and lose the tiebreaker to the Colts. One more win or a Jets loss clinches it, I'm pretty sure.

yes but jets can win out to get to 9-7 so colts win, jets loss or bengals and steelers losses gets us in

True but cant see Jets winning out, Still consider that cards are stacked in our favor & we hold own destiny in our hands, couldnt asjk for more right now

Only 2 of the AFC North teams can finish above the Colts as it stands right now. The loser of the Bengals - Steelers game has no shot at their division, and lose the tiebreaker to the Colts. One more win or a Jets loss clinches it, I'm pretty sure.

Actually, what if Pitt and Cincy win all of their games and tie in their head to head meeting? Each would then be at 9 -6 -1 and if we lose out, we'd be 9-7. Jets win out, and they are 9 -7. Both of us would be behind a 9 -6 -1 team, no?

And of course, if Pitt and Cincy win all their games and one team beats the other in head to head, then we must lose all, and Jets win all for us to fall short to Jets and Cincy/Pitt winner. Bottom line-

We still have business to take care of.

Actually, what if Pitt and Cincy win all of their games and tie in their head to head meeting? Each would then be at 9 -6 -1 and if we lose out, we'd be 9-7. Jets win out, and they are 9 -7. Both of us would be behind a 9 -6 -1 team, no?

And of course, if Pitt and Cincy win all their games and one team beats the other in head to head, then we must lose all, and Jets win all for us to fall short to Jets and Cincy/Pitt winner. Bottom line-

We still have business to take care of.

Good point. I don't usually even think about ties, they are so rare (only 1 this year out of 201 games played), but it is still a possibility. So one measley Jets loss plus a W/L senario in the Cin/Pit matchup... Or just one more Colts win, and its the playoffs, baby!