Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Death strikes the NFL again. This time in Dallas. [Merge]

FireJimCaldwell

Cowboys linebacker Jerry Brown has died in an early morning car crash, and Cowboys nose tackle Josh Brent has been charged with intoxication manslaughter in Brown’s death.

The police department in Irving, Texas, has confirmed that Brown died in a crash early this morning and Brent (whose legal name is Josh Price-Brent) was charged.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/08/cowboys-jerry-brown-dead-teammate-josh-brent-charged/

RIP Mr. Brown.

Cowboys linebacker Jerry Brown has died in an early morning car crash, and Cowboys nose tackle Josh Brent has been charged with intoxication manslaughter in Brown’s death.

The police department in Irving, Texas, has confirmed that Brown died in a crash early this morning and Brent (whose legal name is Josh Price-Brent) was charged.

http://profootballta...-brent-charged/

RIP Mr. Brown.

Very sad and unfortunate.

Very sad and unfortunate.

I'll never understand men & women whether they are football players, singers, actors/actresses/etc, really anyone with the means to simply call a cab which would be like any one of us simply losing 5.00, insist on driving. Nobody needs to, but I can understand a person without the means to do so making the mistake, but to me when someone has the wealth that any of these athletes do it is beyond stupid.

I'll never understand men & women whether they are football players, singers, actors/actresses/etc, really anyone with the means to simply call a cab which would be like any one of us simply losing 5.00, insist on driving. Nobody needs to, but I can understand a person without the means to do so making the mistake, but to me when someone has the wealth that any of these athletes do it is beyond stupid.

:agree: that's what I meant by sad and unfortunate. Unfortunate he didn't use better common sense, and as a result, another tragic accident and life lost.

:agree: that's what I meant by sad and unfortunate. Unfortunate he didn't use better common sense, and as a result, another tragic accident and life lost.

I agree, it's sad news whether it's an NFL player, or John Doe in Winslow, Arizona, to me knowing that the drive could have easily paid for the two cab rides, or even having his car towed home if he wanted just amplifies the situation.

Some short cab rides are still 5 bucks in Dallas and even Chicago.....so sad.....so many poor decisions being made by these young men.

Talk to your friends and loved ones. Tell them you love them every day. There may not ever be a tomorrow. I told my mom every day, and it has helped me through some really bad days and nights since 520 AM November 27, 2012. :(

From TMZ

According to police, Brent was driving at a high rate of speed when his car "hit the outside curb," flipped over and came to rest in the middle of the road. Brent was responsive at the scene, but Brown was not. Brown was later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

Officers at the scene suspected alcohol to be a factor, so they gave Brent was given a field sobriety test, which he failed. His blood was also taken at the hospital to determine his blood alcohol level.

He was arrested by Irving PD and booked on a second degree felony charge at 4:14 AM and is being held without bail.

Brent pled guilty to a misdemeanor DUI charge while in college

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2EUkFM3ew

Some short cab rides are still 5 bucks in Dallas and even Chicago.....so sad.....so many poor decisions being made by these young men.

Talk to your friends and loved ones. Tell them you love them every day. There may not ever be a tomorrow. I told my mom every day, and it has helped me through some really bad days and nights since 520 AM November 27, 2012. :(

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Stronger words can't be said.

Thanks for the great post my friend...I once lost someone very special to me, many years ago, and it still pains me to this day, that I never got a chance to tell them how much I loved them, and how much it meant to have them in my life, before they passed...From that day on, every time I go to the store, work, wherever, I always give my wife a hug or a kiss, and tell her how much I love her. Even after a 7 and a half hour transplant surgery, with a breathing tube in my throat, the first thing I did was trace I (heart) u on my wife's hand, as she held my hand...

I never ever want to feel guilty, or regretful again, like I did for that special person...Sometimes, you don't realize what you truly have, until its gone...

My prayers and thoughts go out to the family of Jerry Brown...

Nicely put

Wise words my friend, I'm sorry for your loss.

A tragic waste of the lives of these young men.

Its stupid to risk ones own life, its crazy to have a passenger and risk theirs, but its absolutely beyond mor-- on -ic to endanger innocent people who may be out and are doing their best to obey the law and morality of this issue

Forget paying money for a cab, or a standby limo etc, u r on a team of so called professionals prearrange with them a calling system that when one needs a ride someone will come, even without such a system , a teammate will for sure if asked , or for anyone non professional , that is the every day person just call a friend and say u need help if they dont come they aren't a friend

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know if / when I get calls as everyone knows with my meds i dont drink & unless something seriously wrong I am there

whats funny / or *ic is these are the same people who normally wont step in a car with me driving & never let me drive otherwise & every concert or dinner out they always drive as my medical issues are problematic to driving, esp at night

Poor Jerry Brown, a former Colt and played well for the team when he got his chance.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Unfortunately some people never learn from their mistakes such as Mr. Josh Brent.

And i am sure the whole team is hurting because Brent killed a teammate, not a random stranger.

There is nothing than I can say that hasn't already been more eloquently stated.

Since the vast majority of teams work in partnership with the NFL to provide a car service to take intoxicated players safely to their home or desired location, often no personal expense is required in the 1st place. I don't give a darn how blasted a person is...Have someone like a barter reach into your wallet, pull out the card, & call for the NFL car service. This is what players are taught at the Rookie NFL Symposium. Plus, I'm sure the Commissioner routinely briefs all franchises on this every year & they remind all players what the procedure & number are for assistance.

So sad. So inexcusable. So preventable...

There is nothing than I can say that hasn't already been more eloquently stated.

Since the vast majority of teams work in partnership with the NFL to provide a car service to take intoxicated players safely to their home or desired location, often no personal expense is required in the 1st place. I don't give a darn how blasted a person is...Have someone like a barter reach into your wallet, pull out the card, & call for the NFL car service. This is what players are taught at the Rookie NFL Symposium. Plus, I'm sure the Commissioner routinely briefs all franchises on this every year & they remind all players what the procedure & number are for assistance.

So sad. So inexcusable. So preventable...

the only thing can think of is these players are afraid of being disciplined for being that intoxicated, becoming known as a trouble maker, being out beyond curfew , or some other reason they are hoping to sneak back into a hotel if its an away game so not top be caught, in other words in their dumb intoxicated mind its better to driver than crossing team rules , I may not be explaining this as well I I mean to

Unfortunately in the state they are in they are not thinking rationally as we , outside observers are

Terrible news. I sure hope Brown's family isn't ignorant enough to want to blame Brent for this tragedy. It may sound harsh, but Brown was foolish enough to get into the car with him knowing darn well he was drunk.

I am thankful, and I think about it often, that I wised up early and refused to get into a car with someone under the influence. I had a scary experience at age 19 when I got into a car with a friend whom had been doing whiskey shots after taking a green placadil. My friend literally fell asleep while driving and I drove the car from the passengers side for over a mile. I put the car in neutral (his foot was dead on the gas, you could hear the engine roaring) and I screamed like a banshee trying to wake him up. We almost wiped out multiple times before I got the car stopped.

Never again. I think about it often when I see my daughter. How such stupid decisions could have led to her never being.

Terrible news. I sure hope Brown's family isn't ignorant enough to want to blame Brent for this tragedy. It may sound harsh, but Brown was foolish enough to get into the car with him knowing darn well he was drunk.

I am thankful, and I think about it often, that I wised up early and refused to get into a car with someone under the influence. I had a scary experience at age 19 when I got into a car with a friend whom had been doing whiskey shots after taking a green placadil. My friend literally fell asleep while driving and I drove the car from the passengers side for over a mile. I put the car in neutral (his foot was dead on the gas, you could hear the engine roaring) and I screamed like a banshee trying to wake him up. We almost wiped out multiple times before I got the car stopped.

Never again. I think about it often when I see my daughter. How such stupid decisions could have led to her never being.

wow