Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Covering Tight Ends?

SteelCityColt

Obviously there has been a quite a large shift in recent years to Tight Ends being more than just blockers to being an active and key part of the receiving corp. Quite often commentators cite their success down to this mismatches their size and speed causes. Too big for CBs, too quick for linebackers.

My question is how come no one has come up with a solution to this? On watching games they'll show a reply of the tight end making a big play, point out the LB can't cover him but they never say what they should have done on D.I know people like Gronk are just on another level but even quite run of the mill tight ends can cause teams issues.

I'm surprised that we've never seen a tight end come out on D to cover his opposite number, fight fire with fire if you will. I'm not suggesting it for every down, but in specific positional situations, e.g. Red Zone or 3rd and Medium it could help take away a easy option for the QB if the man covering the tight end can at least match him physically.

Not suggesting that it's a lightbulb idea, just a idle thought I've had when it gets highlighted in games.

Personally....get a big SS; Adrian Wilson, William Moore, Kam Chancellor, put them in the box and have them play press coverage. For one it puts an extra guy in the box so it's harder to run, and in theory it's easier for a 6'3 230 lb Safety to cover a TE than a 6'1 245 lb Linebacker.

In theory yes, but on the whole I didn't think safeties were that big so this might not be an option for every team, wouldn't bringing one into the box leave the deep exposed, unless you mean some type of 3 safety formation?

In theory yes, but on the whole I didn't think safeties were that big so this might not be an option for every team, wouldn't bringing one into the box leave the deep exposed, unless you mean some type of 3 safety formation?

Defenses don't always have their safeties playing deep zones. I'd have my FS roam the deep middle and help out whichever CB has the more difficult matchup in the event of his man getting by him. Either that or you play a type of 3 deep zone. You are correct though, most teams do not have personnel to do this, but with the problems these TEs create I'd definitely be looking for a big safety that can play man to man.

Looking at the safeties entering the draft next year....a ton of them are 6'1 or taller. I'm no scout, but I do like the measureables on these guys.

Defenses don't always have their safeties playing deep zones. I'd have my FS roam the deep middle and help out whichever CB has the more difficult matchup in the event of his man getting by him. Either that or you play a type of 3 deep zone. You are correct though, most teams do not have personnel to do this, but with the problems these TEs create I'd definitely be looking for a big safety that can play man to man.

Looking at the safeties entering the draft next year....a ton of them are 6'1 or taller. I'm no scout, but I do like the measureables on these guys.

Although measureables do not always translate into NFL success, these safeties have me excited as well. I'm hoping we can grab one with a good feel for our system.