Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was I right or was I Right (Players you hit/Missed on pre draft)

Okay, Players I was definitely right about being good

1. RG III - I was one for drafting him and getting extra picks, just for the sake of the extra picks, nothing against Luck who I though would play a lot like Big Ben.

2. Andrew Luck - Big Bin with a bigger Brain Right?

3. Casey Heyward - 5 interceptions, I had him as my 2nd highest rated corner behind Jonoris Jenkins and in front of Morris Claiborne.

4. Janoris Jenkins - The guys is showing signs of being a true shutdown corner, but he is at the level Terrance Newman was when he was a rookie, He could either be great or very mediocre.

5. Luke Kuechley - Not only was this guy ignored on this Board, but ever draft forum I visited had something stupid to say about him. He is in the top 5 tacklers in the league.

6. Bruce Irvin and Marcilous Whitley - 7/5 sacks on the year, I only had 4 D lineman on all the D lineman who had 1st round grades and I only really missed on Cox and Brockers...tough I don't know how they are rated.

7. Brandon Weedon - I knew he had the stuff to not look terrible. He may turn out to be a very good, very old sophmore

8. Chris Givens - Doing a Very good Job at St Louie right now.

Players I was Definitely wrong about Being Bad

1. Dwayne Allen - I watched his tape, and I saw some good catches, but in my heart I knew for sure he wasn't not going crap as a H-back transfer in the NFL, I was wrong.

2. Justin Blackmon - Started Out Scary, but 14 ypc is getting scary for the afc.

3. Kendyll Wright - He would drop so many passes in the combine and pro day and looked so nervous, I just new he was going to mess up come Game day, but he over came and is the top Rookie Receiver

4. Alfonzo Dennard - I said Terrible Terrible things about Dennard, but coach Bell and turned him into a turnover/pass defending machine.

I was a huge TY fan, as was AustinCollie17, I think.

I didn't think RG3 had the accuracy to make it.

I was a huge Luck fan.

I was completely against drafting Coby Fleener.

I wanted us to draft Janoris Jenkins or Stephen Hill in round 2 instead of Fleener.

I thought Janoris was the best CB in the draft.

T.Y is the Top Rookie WR this year, and is playing better then any of the ones drafted ahead of him.

Also,

There was no way Washington was trading that pick. So you would not have been able to trade down and get RG3 anyway.

Why would we wait until Washington had traded for the pick and then trade for that same pick? I think he meant trading down while STL had the pick.

to early to say. this time last year cam newton was going to revolutionize the league, now some are wanting to burying him.

but to play along....i was right about trent richardson, he wasn't worth that high of pick and def not worth trading up for.

The thing about T.Y thats encouraging besides his ealry production despite still being incosistent is that he was probably gonna be a 5th round guy maybe and we traded up to get him and its definatley proving woth it so far. Plus we all are a little hard on him for these easy drops hes had and rightfully so but this guy was still raw coming out he wasnt really considered a polished NFL ready WR so the fact he's prodicing like this already is exciting. Just wait another season or two after some more time with wayne and luck and he starts fine tuning his route running skills and pther areas of his game, and starts making those easy catches that he misses. Hes gonna get alot better I think. Plus When that offesive line improves and starts giving Luck some time next year, that alone is gonna help our passing game too. encouraging especially if Brazil and our Tighends start becoming more relavent too. Its gonna be tough to stop us. Oh and a more consistent rushing attack. We have improved a little this year but it been largly against poor defensive teams so I dont know how much to really take from that.

I wanted us to draft Janoris Jenkins or Stephen Hill in round 2 instead of Fleener.

This is correct.

Well it seems my affiliation for drafting Brian Quick has turned on me. Dude is not producing in St. Louis.

I got one specific thing about the Colts' picks, which I can back up with a tweet I made back in April:

I wanted Cordy Glenn over Coby Fleener in the 2nd round. I still wish that Glenn would have been the pick.

I loved Cordy Glenn pre draft, and was sure he would be at least a solid 10 year vet at either LG, RG og RT. But he has surpassed even my expectations by holding down the LT spot in Buffalo. And doing that well.

To stay with the Colts, I liked T.Y. Hilton. I did not, however, at the time like that the Colts gave up a top 4th round pick and 2013's 5th round pick for a (very) late 3rd round pick... I'm happy the Colts did just that.

Players I liked:

QB Andrew Luck - Words seem unnecessary now. I wanted him over RG3, which I also made a tweet about.

I wasn't sold on RG3, but the "only" knock on him from my perspective, was how he would translate to an NFL offense, dropping back, reading coverages, etc. I'm still quite unsure of what sort of succes he would have in an offense that don't use option plays heavily. Hats off to the The Shanahans for creating a system that fits RG3 very well.

DT Fletcher Cox - He was my 6th rated prospect.

WR Michael Floyd - My top rated receiver. Best hands in the draft.

OL Cordy Glenn - Described above.

CB Janoris Jenkins - I don't think any team was unaware of this guys ability, but off field issues weighs heavily in the draft (Proof: Alfonzo Dennard). He was my 2nd rated corner. Claibornes length and ball skills (at least equally to Jenkins') made him my no. 1 CB.

LB Lavonte David - Great instincts, always took right angles, great tackler. I had a 1st round grade on him, but knew his size would push him back in to the 2nd round.

TE Michael Egnew - Really liked his athletic ability and potential as a pass catcher in the NFL. He had catched my eye in a Mizzou game once as well. Boy, was I wrong!

CB Jayron Hosley - A ball hawk, who lacks great size. Had a solid 2nd round grade on Hosley. That was a bit high. I still believe the Giants got a steal at the end of the 3rd round though.

DE/DT Malik Jackson - Defensive lineman with experience as both DE and DT. I really liked him as a 3-4 DE. Great use of hands, great frame.

-------------------------------------------

Players I absolutely didn't like:

WR Justin Blackmon - Hated his (lack of) ability to separate from defenders.

DT Dontari Poe - Well, I did like his upside. Who didn't? But would never take him 11th overall. I had a 2nd round grade on him.

DE/OLB Whitney Mercilus - A one year wonder in college, had a lot of coverage sacks. Not explosive, no strong hands, no extra ordinary length.

QB Brock Osweiler - His throwing motion and release point is flat out awful (was at Arizona St.).

DE/OLB Bruce Irwin - I did not see this physical play, which he is showing now, when he was at WV. Thought he was a one trick pony off the edge.

The thing about T.Y thats encouraging besides his ealry production despite still being incosistent is that he was probably gonna be a 5th round guy maybe and we traded up to get him and its definatley proving woth it so far. Plus we all are a little hard on him for these easy drops hes had and rightfully so but this guy was still raw coming out he wasnt really considered a polished NFL ready WR so the fact he's prodicing like this already is exciting. Just wait another season or two after some more time with wayne and luck and he starts fine tuning his route running skills and pther areas of his game, and starts making those easy catches that he misses. Hes gonna get alot better I think. Plus When that offesive line improves and starts giving Luck some time next year, that alone is gonna help our passing game too. encouraging especially if Brazil and our Tighends start becoming more relavent too. Its gonna be tough to stop us. Oh and a more consistent rushing attack. We have improved a little this year but it been largly against poor defensive teams so I dont know how much to really take from that.

hilton wouldn't have lasted until the 5th....i'm not sure where people get this "grigson didn't need to trade up to get hilton" stuff

I think Grigson said something about the corner they wanted got taken right before the colts picked in the third. I think it was Casey Heyward if I remember correctly.

I think Grigson said something about the corner they wanted got taken right before the colts picked in the third. I think it was Casey Heyward if I remember correctly.

Justin Gilbert from Oklahoma State would be nice addition in the first.

hilton wouldn't have lasted until the 5th....i'm not sure where people get this "grigson didn't need to trade up to get hilton" stuff

Who's to say he wouldnt have? and I didnt say for sure that he would have, I said might have. Im not saying Griegson shouldnt have done it either. In fact I like the move and was fine with it especially now. But I think that Hilton going into the draft was a guy that could have and might have lasted to the fifth. Didnt seem like many teams were really interested in taking him early despite his production numbers. Just my thought.

Who's to say he wouldnt have? and I didnt say for sure that he would have, I said might have. Im not saying Griegson shouldnt have done it either. In fact I like the move and was fine with it especially now. But I think that Hilton going into the draft was a guy that could have and might have lasted to the fifth. Didnt seem like many teams were really interested in taking him early despite his production numbers. Just my thought.

correction I said probably would have. Just to correct myself there.

I was really happy Dennard was still available...and when NE picked him up I knew he would excel. The Pats seem to have a sixth sense about "problem" players...Talib has made their whole secondary better

or their secondary was so pathetic that they were willing to gamble on a > that punched a cop two weeks before the biggest day of his life.

Fleener will be fine. I bet he ends up asserting himself more in his 2nd season. Most receivers do. He has shown solid hands and speed. He could stand to bulk up a little though.

He would have more catches if not for the injury and Luck has missed him underneath on more than a few routes.

I didn't think RG3 had the accuracy to make it.

I was a huge Luck fan.

I thought Janoris was the best CB in the draft.

Agreed on Fleener, I was actually disappointed when he fell to us; that pick could have been better spent. I posted more than once that many people were putting far too much weight on the "he and Luck already have chemistry" thing as a reason for drafting him. Hopefully he explodes next season; I will happily eat my words.